• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

No it’ll be a totally custom for your gun kind of deal. Which is better I think because the fit will be perfect. Shoot him an email. He’s great to talk with and loves to get involved with customer ideas. No question is a dumb one to him either.

Awesome, that’ll work fine. I had considered a Cadex, but they weren’t very receptive to getting a TL3 into their integral top rail chassis, just the open top ones. I’ll shoot him an email and go from there. Thanks!

Awesome, that’ll work fine. I had considered a Cadex, but they weren’t very receptive to getting a TL3 into their integral top rail chassis, just the open top ones. I’ll shoot him an email and go from there. Thanks!
Yeah you should hit him up. He said he’s done custom rails for the Cadex. The Cadex looks super badass. I might do one when JJ Rock releases their short action. Their HRT rifle uses all Cadex stock.

Reactions: bourbonbent
Ya, I quoted it. Here is the specific part of the post.

"Next will be SHORT ACTION RIGHT HAND actions. Some of the orders on hand right now will get the CrN finished bolts. When inventory of those bolts is gone, we will begin using Nitride finished bolts. "
Maybe it was a different thread then. They are in the wild though. I'm sure Ray will chime in at some point

Having one of the actions without the dlc/nitride, will anyone been sending theirs out to have that done. I like that they’re doing it from factory now, but is it worth the extra money to have it done independently?

Having one of the actions without the dlc/nitride, will anyone been sending theirs out to have that done. I like that they’re doing it from factory now, but is it worth the extra money to have it done independently?
If they’ll sell you a new bolt, that might be a cheaper option. An aftermarket company may not want to mess with the bolt head.

All the new inventory I see at places like Bugholes and Altus are still the old NP3 or CRN or whatever they are bolts. No updates to description on Bighorn's website describing the change in bolt body finishes. I will wait to get one; just want confirmation from Bighorn that is what's shipping.

Yes that is what is shipping. I talked to them about this over a month ago and was told that is what's shipping from them.

Anything other that you find at dealers is old stock....

Reactions: reubenski
All right handed actions (with the exception of a LA RB/LP) are shipping with nitrided bolt bodies. Left handed short action bolts are currently out for nitride but we still have a small inventory (<25 pcs) of CrN lefties in stock. When we get rid of those, the SA lefties will all be nitrided. The bolt heads on lefties will still be CrN because we have a larger inventory of them at the moment. LA lefties will be a while because we have inventory of the CrN bolt bodies and that's a rare choice of action.

Reactions: reubenski
So a couple questions guys. My next prs rifle build will be using a tl3 action in a McMillan A5 stock. What tang thickness should I go with? And should I go with the 20 or 30 MOA rail with a razor gen 2. 4.5-27.
Caliber will either be 6.5cm or a 25cm

New rig put together by Shaen Magan
(Shooter71 here)....

6 BRX .120 freebore .292 neck
Bighorn TL3
Hawk Hill 7 twist Marksman
Trigger Tech Diamond
KRG Bravo temporarily

108s running 2970 on FF’d brass don’t suck. Trued DOPE out to 1200 and reckon it’ll make the cut. Top plate is 3 @ 600, second is 1k with a 1/10 put in after the first shot low. ES/SDs are single digits....

krbIc7K.jpg

IsSSuzZ.jpg

0T39v6i.jpg

tQ9v9WG.jpg

Anyone know the lead time on proof TL3 prefits? Every dealer I see is out of stock, can they be ordered straight from proof?

Anyone know the lead time on proof TL3 prefits? Every dealer I see is out of stock, can they be ordered straight from proof?

If your ok with running a barrel nut you could do a Savage Pre Fit. Stocky’s has a decent amount of options in stock right now.

Reactions: DEWD_STUFF
If your ok with running a barrel nut you could do a Savage Pre Fit. Stocky’s has a decent amount of options in stock right now.
No rush, I just got back from being out of country for a while and didn’t know they were doing pre fits. Pretty awesome

How much torque is everyone putting on their barrels when changing them? I have a 6.5Cm and .223 barrel and have been doing 60 lbs when switching in my garage but I’d like to start doing it at the range, I read some things saying benchrest guys don’t even torque em down they just snug them up by hand or a firm press on the wrench and call it a day and shoot the next barrel.

How much torque is everyone putting on their barrels when changing them? I have a 6.5Cm and .223 barrel and have been doing 60 lbs when switching in my garage but I’d like to start doing it at the range, I read some things saying benchrest guys don’t even torque em down they just snug them up by hand or a firm press on the wrench and call it a day and shoot the next barrel.

I use a Ross vise and about 35 ft/lb. Haven't taken my action out of my chassis in the last two dozen barrel swaps. Return to zero is very repeatable.

I use a Ross vise and about 35 ft/lb. Haven't taken my action out of my chassis in the last two dozen barrel swaps. Return to zero is very repeatable.
That’s a neat vise. Wish I would have bought that one. I have a viper barrel vise, I was gonna construct a mobile sort of attachment for my truck hitch or brainstorm something else to be mobile with it

That’s a neat vise. Wish I would have bought that one. I have a viper barrel vise, I was gonna construct a mobile sort of attachment for my truck hitch or brainstorm something else to be mobile with it
I just drilled holes in a 2x board, ran bolts up from the bottom (you can spade bit a brief moment to remove material to sink the head in flush if you want to get fancy) and then just clamp it to a table or tailgate or whatever.

Last edited:
I just drilled holes in a 2x12 board, ran bolts up from the bottom (you can spade bit a brief moment to remove material to sink the head in flush if you want to get fancy) and then just clamp it to a table or tailgate or whatever.

View attachment 7117996
And you bring this to the range with you? I was thinking something along these lines somehow attached to a trailer hitch extension of some sort or off of my tailgate

I was thinking something along these lines somehow attached to a trailer hitch extension of some sort or off of my tailgate

Drill a couple holes in a piece of square tube and you're G2G. That's what I used before I got the Ross Vise.

Attachments

• IMG_1445.jpg
    IMG_1445.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_1448.jpg
    IMG_1448.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 234
And you bring this to the range with you? I was thinking something along these lines somehow attached to a trailer hitch extension of some sort or off of my tailgate
Well, no, I have my own range only a couple hundred yards back into the pasture so I do it all out back in the shop or drive way if its too hot inside the shop. But I could just as easily clamp it to the truck tailgate as I did to that trailer rail as pictured. Or a shooting bench, or counter, table, post, telephone pole etc. You can clamp it anywhere.

Sheldons is more elegant. Mine is just dirt fucking simple lol

Due to a rising amount of questions regarding our TL3 LONG ACTION models and their acceptance of CIP length magazines, we want to address it here to hopefully clarify the questions.

The long action magazine well cut on TL3's will accept CIP length (3.850") magazines AND standard AICS pattern long action magazines. BOTH will work with the magazine cut that will be going on actions manufactured from this date forward.

Long actions manufactured before today (7/29/2019) did NOT have the CIP modifications unless otherwise specified by the individual ordering the actions. That being said, any existingLONG action TL3's that do not have the modification (small notch at the front of magazine well) will not accept CIP length magazines as is, but are able to be modified to be able to accept them. If you would like to have that done, please contact us via email and we will direct you in how to make that happen.

If you have a question about compatibility or whether or not your action is CIP compatible (LONG ACTIONS ONLY), please let us know and we'll help you through that.

THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NO AFFECT TO SHORT ACTIONS IN ANY WAY

Thank you - Ray

That's one of the new DLC/ Nitrided actions?
That action wasn't DLC coated and that bolt went out as CrN. The bolt stop is also black so I'm assuming that entire build was Cerakote'd.

The DLC actions look very similar to that, but the bolts are not as matte as this one. They have more of a polished black appearance.

I purchased the action DLC coated by bighorn. Bolt body, Bolt Release, and both barrels are cerakoted graphite black.

Does anyone swap to a shorter/lighter barrel for hunting? I’m thinking about doing that instead of purchasing a whole new hunting rifle.

The plan is to go with a 6.5 prc. It was one of the reasons I went with the tl3 to swap, but after having it I’m not sure. I have it in a MPA comp chassis. All said and done I wonder if it’s going to be too heavy with the MPA, or too much of a pain to swap into a lightweight chassis.

The plan is to go with a 6.5 prc. It was one of the reasons I went with the tl3 to swap, but after having it I’m not sure. I have it in a MPA comp chassis. All said and done I wonder if it’s going to be too heavy with the MPA, or too much of a pain to swap into a lightweight chassis.
2 screws. And 3 shits to confirm zero. Easy as pie.

If the MPA is too heavy that is

So stoked to upgrade to a real action after kidding myself that an accurized savage in a KRG chassis, that's right handed but am a lefty shooter. Just dropped off the last DLC TL3 left handed that Altus had in stock. hopefully it will be done for my 30th Birthday and before the Rock Lake Steel Match.

TL3 DLC
25" Benchmark Heavy palma 1:8 6.5CM
KRG Whiskey 3 lefty
Area 419 Hellfire
Bix-n-Andy Tacsport Single stage
Gen 2 PST 5-25 FFP MRAD

Last edited:
Apologize if this has already been stated, but has anyone dropped a TL3 LA in a AXAICS? Exactly what trimming had to be done?

Apologize if this has already been stated, but has anyone dropped a TL3 LA in a AXAICS? Exactly what trimming had to be done?
Depending on the tang size the plastic at the rear will need trimming. I ordered a small per Ray’s recommendation and it shouldn’t require any trimming but I don’t have it in hand yet as it just shipped. I think some material has to be removed around the bolt handle cutout as well.