• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

Finished up my newest build this week after 4 months and shot it yesterday. It’s a TL3 SA chambered in 22-250 AI. Just trying to find a decent fire forming load for my new Lapua brass at 100 yards. Was not expecting the results I got. Couldn’t be happier. Big thanks to Phil Cashin and crew at MPA, Greg Young at SPR/Bugholes, and last but not least Ray at Bighorn Arms for all the help and support. Can’t wait to stretch its legs and shoot some matches with it.

-Bighorn TL3 Short Action, AW Cut, Medium Tang, 20 MOA rail
-Shouldered Bartlein 7 Twist 26” Heavy Palma contour spun up by Greg at Southern Precision Rifles/Bugholes
-APA Little Bastard Gen II Brake
-MPA BA Competition Chassis in Sniper Green
-ARC M10 Scope Rings
-TriggerTech Special Flat Shoe
-Vortex Razor AMG EBR-7 MIL reticle
-AICS AW Magazines
-Harris 9-13 Swivel/Leg Notch Bipod with Hawk Hill Talons
-MPA RAT dovetail clamp with Harris Adapter
-MPA 2 round holder

Attachments

• 6ECB4759-BDE5-4E0A-AD5E-00EEB6C80D1D.jpeg
    6ECB4759-BDE5-4E0A-AD5E-00EEB6C80D1D.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 82F1A9A9-50E9-4D32-BAD2-EDDA3B737CF0.jpeg
    82F1A9A9-50E9-4D32-BAD2-EDDA3B737CF0.jpeg
    624.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 91DEBA38-C446-4BC9-9101-3F9BB71F07AC.jpeg
    91DEBA38-C446-4BC9-9101-3F9BB71F07AC.jpeg
    592.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 5DC8A3A8-E35F-446C-9E50-F0A1CFBCBCE8.jpeg
    5DC8A3A8-E35F-446C-9E50-F0A1CFBCBCE8.jpeg
    778.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 7B5DFE34-9B7D-4202-B2CC-0C2B52AA934E.jpeg
    7B5DFE34-9B7D-4202-B2CC-0C2B52AA934E.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 9F04D965-12BD-4D42-A8A4-E2D6CA43451C.jpeg
    9F04D965-12BD-4D42-A8A4-E2D6CA43451C.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 9AF8688E-78FC-402E-B7B7-85857D718A46.jpeg
    9AF8688E-78FC-402E-B7B7-85857D718A46.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 148
Heres MDT 13rd 6BR prototype mag I'm testing for them.

I've ran their 13rd 308 style.mag as well. It's amazing. Grab one, you wont be disappointed. Double stack, single feed.

Lol. I wish mine would seat a mag that easy and cycle like that. Looks good!

Looks good! Cannot wait to get the final parts for mine and start doing some shooting and hunting.

Thanks man! Trust me I hear you. When it all comes together, you pull the trigger and you’re blown away like I was yesterday (literally and figuratively, had 20mph winds plus 40 gusts) it’s so worth it.

does anyone know if the rail pins and pin holes will match up with the Hawkins Hybrid (direct receiver mount) rings? Thinking of building an SR3 hunting rifle and losing the rail to save 3 to 5 ounces in weight.

does anyone know if the rail pins and pin holes will match up with the Hawkins Hybrid (direct receiver mount) rings? Thinking of building an SR3 hunting rifle and losing the rail to save 3 to 5 ounces in weight.

I have zero experience with the rings your speaking of, but I do know the SR3 does not come with a pinned rail.

I have ran Magpul, AICS, MDT and ARC mags in my MPA/Tl3 and MPA/Origin for that matter. This is both BA Comp and the Hybrid.

I have ran Magpul, AICS, MDT and ARC mags in my MPA/Tl3 and MPA/Origin for that matter. This is both BA Comp and the Hybrid.

Is that with the AW cut? I’m thinking that might be my issue. I sacrificed a magpul aics mag today trying to make it work and no dice. Sanded and polished on the accurate mag and it still binds up awful and scratches hell out of brass. Looking into borrowing MDT and AW mags to see what works. The binding up is only with the accurate mag inserted too and the bottom of the bolt grinds along the next round pretty bad too. I’m anxiously looking forward to return emails from MPA and BigHorn this week. Will see what they say.

No TL3 here, but I have ARC mags, AICS, and Accurate mags. All required polishing to smooth the feeding and remove the gashing it did to the brass.

Yes my TL3 has the AW cut. I have never had to touch a file or dremel to any mags yet with that combo.

Ok. Thank you. I’m definitely interested to see what MPA and BigHorn say to do or try. Cause I know it’s new and only had a box and change of ammo through it. But it’s not what I was expecting after spending the money I did on it. I’ve been dry firing it and loading blank ammo off and on all day and it’s annoyingly frustrating. The slightest off angle push of the bolt binds up when trying to feed a round and my dummy rounds are all chewed up. Lol.

My origin can be a little temperamental with some mags but thats mostly due to the KRG chassis being pretty adaptable to different mags and where the MDT mags fit very tight the ARC mags barely lock in place.... Kind of have to split the difference between the two. I cant stad a loose mag though so I will probably just fit it for the MDT mags which are worlds better than the ARC mags anyways.

MPA chassis though like I say... no issues with either action.

Reactions: Cajuntransplant
I have zero issues running AICS, ARC and MDT 13rd in my TL3, MPA or TL3/ACC or TL3/Envy setups in 6.5x47L. AW will not run in the TL3/MPA but will in the Envy...

I’m still mystified by your success (but not challenging your claim thereof) with AW/ARC in the TL3/Envy. I’ve settled on the MDT mags for matches and am happy. I’m still faffing about with the feed lips on the ARC & AW mags using the MPA tool, but until they’re 100% reliable for me, I’m sticking with MDT for matches. I time out so often that I can’t afford to mess with feeding problems.

That is my big decision. I have used and like MPA BA , but I'm also looking at the MDT ACC and the KRG
I haven’t used an MPA, but the ACC I have for my Howa 1500 is really nice. Honestly I shoot the 1500 with the Criterion pre-fit in the ACC as well as I shoot the TL3/Envy/Proof CF rifle (they both have AMG scopes and the MDT vertical grip). The Howa is six lbs heavier, so maybe that’s it.

My January invoice from Bighorn for my deposit says April 8th for shipping date on my TL3. How close are you guys finding the estimated date is right on? I am getting excited as I have all my other components on hand now. The XLR Envoy looks and feels really solid. Although it's going to look like a nasty assault weapon to my liberal neighbors with the pistol grip on it.

Although it's going to look like a nasty assault weapon to my liberal neighbors with the pistol grip on it.

Don't dare put a picatinny rail on the fore end so you can attach a rocket launcher or a chainsaw!! Or one of high capacity semi full auto machine gun magazines!!

My invoice was spot on and I got mine 1 week ago, but yours could be different. ?

My January invoice from Bighorn for my deposit says April 8th for shipping date on my TL3. How close are you guys finding the estimated date is right on? I am getting excited as I have all my other components on hand now. The XLR Envoy looks and feels really solid. Although it's going to look like a nasty assault weapon to my liberal neighbors with the pistol grip on it.
They are right on the money with the 10 week lead time. I ordered mine on January 9 and got a call is ready for shipment this past Friday.

FYI those of us who are prior mil/leo Proof Research who has had the carbon fiber barrels on the expert voice site for awhile now has the TL3 prefit steel barrels available to order. (HELL of a deal on a cut rifled prefit barrel).

I just ordered a 6.5 Creedmoor 26" M24 (also going to order some Rogaine and try to grow a man bun so I will fit in....)

Last edited:
Finally got my barrel torqued on and my glass mounted.

Lefty TL3 SA in stainless
Altus Shooting 6BR Bartlein Prefit M24 26"
Triggertech Diamond Pro Curve
MDT ACC chassis
Atlas CAL bipod
Razor Gen II 4.5-27 EBR7C in a Spuhr SP4006
Area 419 6mm Hellfire break
View attachment 7045073
View attachment 7045074
Is there enough room between the cheekrest and receiver to remove the bolt? And get a bore guide in?

Finally got my barrel torqued on and my glass mounted.

Lefty TL3 SA in stainless
Altus Shooting 6BR Bartlein Prefit M24 26"
Triggertech Diamond Pro Curve
MDT ACC chassis
Atlas CAL bipod
Razor Gen II 4.5-27 EBR7C in a Spuhr SP4006
Area 419 6mm Hellfire break
View attachment 7045073
View attachment 7045074
Did you have to do any modification to the ACC for the barreled action to fit right in? And the trigger went right in with no problem right including the safety release knob? Also, do I need any extra attachment for my Atlas bipod to fit on the ACC rail? I see your pic has something extra.

Did you have to do any modification to the ACC for the barreled action to fit right in? And the trigger went right in with no problem right including the safety release knob? Also, do I need any extra attachment for my Atlas bipod to fit on the ACC rail? I see your pic has something extra.
No modification what so ever. Everything dropped in perfectly. Barrel channel has plenty room for a beefier profile also. My Atlas has a RRS Arca/picatinny mount attached. This one.

What gunsmith has the fastest turnaround if I send him a barrel blank to get chambered for my tl3

Awesome, I can live with 2 weeks :) I'll look at them both?

Big horn said Rem700 rear bases will work with the picatinny rail removed on a TL-3. Not sure if it's the same with the SR-3

Anybody run a short action TL3 in a Cadex Defence chassis? I was looking at the Lite Competition but not sure if they drop in or not.

Last edited:
Well, after 7 months of having everything else, my McMillan finally came in and I got everything put together! Did load development all last week and shot my local match with it on Sunday! Thing shot lights out, and was a real joy to shoot. My smith shoots at my local matches and helped me tweak feed lips on my AW mag to get it running almost 100%. I ordered an MPA tool to do some final tweaking to get it running like it should.

So Without further ado, here she be!!

Bighorn TL3-SA NP3 with AW cut
24” Bartlein M24 chambered in 25CM
Area 419 Hellfire muzzle break
Huber Concepts 2 state trigger
McMillan A5-A in Woodland Carbon Ambush
Hawkins Precision Bottom Metal
Atlas CAL Bi-Pod(accidentally bought the bolt on, need to call and order quick detach conversion.)
Gen II PST 5-25x50 FFP Mil/Mil
Vortex PMR Rings
Weibad Cheek Pad
TBAC Ultra 7 sitting in jail!

Huge Shoutout to Isaac Frank at Southern Indiana Precision, that guy turns out some hammers! Highly recommend to anyone looking for an awesome Smith!!

Also Miles & Logan at Blackjack Bullets! They were super helpful at answering all my questions. I know it might not be for everyone, but if anyone is on the fence about going .257, just do it! These are stand up guys that are passionate about there product and will do what they can to make sure you are satisfied!

Stoked with how this thing turned out!

Well, after 7 months of having everything else, my McMillan finally came in and I got everything put together! Did load development all last week and shot my local match with it on Sunday! Thing shot lights out, and was a real joy to shoot. My smith shoots at my local matches and helped me tweak feed lips on my AW mag to get it running almost 100%. I ordered an MPA tool to do some final tweaking to get it running like it should.

So Without further ado, here she be!!

Bighorn TL3-SA NP3 with AW cut
24” Bartlein M24 chambered in 25CM
Area 419 Hellfire muzzle break
Huber Concepts 2 state trigger
McMillan A5-A in Woodland Carbon Ambush
Hawkins Precision Bottom Metal
Atlas CAL Bi-Pod(accidentally bought the bolt on, need to call and order quick detach conversion.)
Gen II PST 5-25x50 FFP Mil/Mil
Vortex PMR Rings
Weibad Cheek Pad
TBAC Ultra 7 sitting in jail!
Huge Shoutout to Isaac Frank at Southern Indiana Precision, that guy turns out some hammers! Highly recommend to anyone looking for an awesome Smith!!

Also Miles & Logan at Blackjack Bullets! They were super helpful at answering all my questions. I know it might not be for everyone, but if anyone is on the fence about going .257, just do it! These are stand up guys that are passionate about there product and will do what they can to make sure you are satisfied!

Stoked with how this thing turned out!

This is a very nice doable build. You really have me thinking I may want to try a .257 build. I spent most of my young adult life playing with 25/06 (4000 fps 'yote and groundhog shots are spectacular). I have a very soft spot for the quarter bore. It's exciting to see people actually making usable bullets.

Reactions: Bear24
This is a very nice doable build. You really have me thinking I may want to try a .257 build. I spent most of my young adult life playing with 25/06 (4000 fps 'yote and groundhog shots are spectacular). I have a very soft spot for the quarter bore. It's exciting to see people actually making usable bullets.

I’m only 21, so it was really cool to have several older guys come up to me and ogle over the new rifle and tell me similar stories as yours! I was quickly coined “The 25 Guy”!

There was actually a guy in my squad that has been eyeing a 25XC. The first stage we shot was the KYL rack. I shot and hit all 5 targets(high because I was using .330 as my BC when it’s probably more like .340 from what I have been hearing.) After I smacked the smallest target he asked what I held for wind. I told him straight up, dead center. I think I he ordered a reamer on his phone before we even shot the second stage!! Lol!

I just got my TL3 with 223 barrel from a hide member. PVA barreled it and it's shooting real good right now!

Attachments

• IMG_20190402_172609.jpg
    IMG_20190402_172609.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 138
I just got my TL3 with 223 barrel from a hide member. PVA barreled it and it's shooting real good right now!

Did you check headspace or just thread it on? I know some people that will check and some who don’t with a shouldered prefit. Just curious what route you went... thanks

First post.

TL3 SA RH in a dark earth AX AICS (16” tube), both from Mile High. Bartlein 10 twist cut all Houston Warehousey by Matt Stewart in Oklahoma, .308 Win (Robert Gradous reamer). Bolt knob is the spiral one. Trigger is Geissele Super 700. Brake is APA LB.

Patriot brown cerakote, Mile High did the receiver and Matt color matched the barrel at his shop.

Scope is a placeholder, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44PA mil dot in a Badger 1.4” Unimount.

Took it out to 538 yards, haven’t had it past that.

Skins needed to be relieved at rear of tang, and at the bolt knob. Recoil lug area was G2G.

Right folder is way more awesome than I ever figured it’d be, and I figured it’d be like fuckin titties.

Been putting 168gr FGMM through it, 10 shot at 100 yards.

Consistent shooting stick. 5 shots are averaging high .4’s into the .5’s off a bench with bipod and bag, 3 shots are averaging about the same with the occasional group in the .2’s. I’ll take it for factory ammo. Haven’t started loading for it yet, have medical shit to worry about before that.

Here’s a range day’s target. One 3 shot group kneeling unsupported off a tripod (Manfrotto and a HOG saddle), one shot my brother was going for a clothespin, the rest were just shooting for fun. A couple of the larger groups (easily identified by the shots that went abnormally low), were traced to my brake rattling loose. Once tightened sufficiently it has not moved and groups have returned normal in terms of aggregates.

Really slick action and hasn’t skipped a beat. Using 10 rd AX AICS mags mostly, but also the 5 rd one if came with. You pretty much have to try to make it bind.

Did you check headspace or just thread it on? I know some people that will check and some who don’t with a shouldered prefit. Just curious what route you went... thanks

I just went and shot it..I'm not sure if it really was a prefit or not but I can easily hit a 6" plate at 400yds. Good enough for me!

Reactions: Hardpan
Well mine is coming together rather nicely. Muzzle device should be here tomorrow.

TL3, Bartlin barrel in 6.5PRC done my DMR in a Sentinel stock with a S&B PMII in a Spuhr.

Last edited: