• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

Can someone please explain the tang thicknesses on the tl3 and how one would be better than the other.

looking to get one for a Magpul hunter 22cm.

Here's a picture of all of them.

Attachments

• tangs.jpg
    tangs.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 179
I got a couple of mediums and they fit great in Manners stocks.

Finally got my TL3 together. Had a Xcaliber Savage 22-250 AI prefit with plenty of life left in it, so I sent it to LRI to cut to 22”, thread, and cerakote.

TL3 Short action
XCaliber 22” 1:8 22-250 AI
Manners PRS2 with mini chassis
Triggertech special flat blade

Turned out great!

Now I just need to find a time to hit the range!

DB912FCF-316D-4D8B-905E-23C59C8E5059.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey guys looking for a little advice on a feeding issue. I've had this problem here and there infrequently over the last few years with various cartridges. But now that I've switched to 6 dasher, I'm having this issue almost every mag! As seen in the video, sometimes I'll get a round that just won't enter the chamber smoothly for whatever reason. The bolt travels 80% of the way and then something hits a hard stop. I can't tell if the breech face needs a wider chamfer/radius, or if the neck of the case is hanging up somewhere in the chamber? Just looking to see if anyone else has experienced something similar, so I can figure out exactly where to look for solutions. Thanks
The shit of it is, my brother's Origin feeds dasher like the smoothest warm melty butter you've ever seen. Go figure...

Hey guys looking for a little advice on a feeding issue. I've had this problem here and there infrequently over the last few years with various cartridges. But now that I've switched to 6 dasher, I'm having this issue almost every mag!

The hard stop you are feeling is the nose of the bullet hitting the square breech face of the barrel. It's not anything wrong with the barrel or the chamfer at the entrance, it's just about the angle that the cartridge gets when coming out of the mag and up the feed ramp.

It can be a bit tricky to diagnose, but my general experience is that if the cartridge is hitting below center on the bottom of the breech face then usually having it stay in the mag feed lips a bit longer actually can help. It's a bit counter intuitive but sometimes the late release causes the case shoulder to hit the feed ramp and angle it up more into the chamber. Sometime the speed at which you move the bolt forward can affect this too. Fast bolt close launches the cartridge up into the chamber, slower can cause it to come out flat then hit below centerline.

If you have a phone with a slow mo video function, that's a great way to diagnose what's happening. Get a good close up video of running the bolt at normal speed until you get a failure, then use the footage to see where it comes out of the feed lips, how it hits the feed ramp, etc.

The hard stop you are feeling is the nose of the bullet hitting the square breech face of the barrel. It's not anything wrong with the barrel or the chamfer at the entrance, it's just about the angle that the cartridge gets when coming out of the mag and up the feed ramp.

It can be a bit tricky to diagnose, but my general experience is that if the cartridge is hitting below center on the bottom of the breech face then usually having it stay in the mag feed lips a bit longer actually can help. It's a bit counter intuitive but sometimes the late release causes the case shoulder to hit the feed ramp and angle it up more into the chamber. Sometime the speed at which you move the bolt forward can affect this too. Fast bolt close launches the cartridge up into the chamber, slower can cause it to come out flat then hit below centerline.

If you have a phone with a slow mo video function, that's a great way to diagnose what's happening. Get a good close up video of running the bolt at normal speed until you get a failure, then use the footage to see where it comes out of the feed lips, how it hits the feed ramp, etc.
Thanks Sheldon, I will give those things a try. The slow mo idea is great, I should have thought of that.

Reactions: Sheldon N
View attachment 7566731
Ready for 2021. TL3, Proof 6-Dasher, ZCO 420x, MPA Matrix.
This is the same action I have in the very first post (#1) of this thread. It's undergone some changes in the last 4 years!

That looks awesome. Love the look of the two tone transition and the matrix chassis. Been debating on grabbing one. Have the whiskey 3, and the mpa comp and the matrix just draws me in

Hey guys looking for a little advice on a feeding issue. I've had this problem here and there infrequently over the last few years with various cartridges. But now that I've switched to 6 dasher, I'm having this issue almost every mag! As seen in the video, sometimes I'll get a round that just won't enter the chamber smoothly for whatever reason. The bolt travels 80% of the way and then something hits a hard stop. I can't tell if the breech face needs a wider chamfer/radius, or if the neck of the case is hanging up somewhere in the chamber? Just looking to see if anyone else has experienced something similar, so I can figure out exactly where to look for solutions. Thanks
The shit of it is, my brother's Origin feeds dasher like the smoothest warm melty butter you've ever seen. Go figure...

Is you action/magazine setup for controlled round feeding/controlled round extraction or push feed/controlled extraction?

Finally got it all put together, just waiting on dies from Rich and ready to shoot! Built it as kind of a "Do All" hunting gun, short enough to easily maneuver in and out of blinds and vehicles with the can. I haven't weighed it yet, but probably in the 11lb range as it sits.

TL3
Manners EH1A
20" Paradigm Carbon 7ss
TT Special
Schmidt PM2 Ultra Bright 4-16x56 in ARC rings
TBAC Ultra 7

View attachment 7419796
How do you like that suppressor?

This is the evolution of my TL3. Here it sits with a 22” Hardy carbon barrel chambered in 7saum. The action is finally doing double duty with different calibers and swapping bolt heads as I originally intended. And that’s quite satisfying.View attachment 7573825
That looks great!! Do you have to remove the enclosed forend when you swap barrels and calibers?

It’d be even faster w/out the arca rail, but since you already have to completely tear everything down, remount everything, then re-zero, it’s really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
Yeah very true. I can swap between my two barrels in about a minute maybe I think right now. Just unscrew one and screw on the other. I know the barrel shank won’t fit under the NV bridge but there’s also not much clearance under the enclosed forend to be able to range swap barrels either. That’s why I was checking with your setup.

Reactions: reubenski
Yeah very true. I can swap between my two barrels in about a minute maybe I think right now. Just unscrew one and screw on the other. I know the barrel shank won’t fit under the NV bridge but there’s also not much clearance under the enclosed forend to be able to range swap barrels either. That’s why I was checking with your setup.
Do you do range swaps with a TL3?

Yeah I can now. I just had some flats machined into a couple barrels and can use a torque wrench and crows foot and swap from a 6GT over to 6.5cm on the range or anywhere really quick and easy.
Interesting, how much torque do you set them to/are able to get without a vise and action wrench?

Interesting, how much torque do you set them to/are able to get without a vise and action wrench?

Roughly 30-35 lbs of torque. Been shooting couple barrels with only this much torque since I got my TL3. Even when using barrel vise and action wrench. Followed suit and copied up what @reubenski has done / is doing with his TL3 and running it like a switch barrel rifle with shouldered prefits.

Roughly 30-35 lbs of torque. Been shooting couple barrels with only this much torque since I got my TL3. Even when using barrel vise and action wrench. Followed suit and copied up what @reubenski has done / is doing with his TL3 and running it like a switch barrel rifle with shouldered prefits.
Well, that might be worth try instead of my typical 80 lbs

Well, that might be worth try instead of my typical 80 lbs

Might be for sure. I’ve never run magnums or anything with that light of torque. But it works fine for 6.5cm pushed fast and a easy load on the 6GT. Have a paint mark on action and barrels and everything lines up every time.

Reactions: jafo96
Been a while. Current TL3 set up. Have a PVA 26” .223 barrel and a PVA 18” 6.5cm barrel. Currently working on making a trailer hitch mount for my barrel vise for easy changes at the range.

Attachments

• 89B2FF5D-3498-4045-A13F-949F4B586B13.png
    89B2FF5D-3498-4045-A13F-949F4B586B13.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 182
  • 64857D8E-DDEE-4D77-9379-9678B5C20416.jpeg
    64857D8E-DDEE-4D77-9379-9678B5C20416.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 169
Anybody using the axsr chassis with a TL3? I'm getting bored with my manners and just want to try something new.

Been a while. Current TL3 set up. Have a PVA 26” .223 barrel and a PVA 18” 6.5cm barrel. Currently working on making a trailer hitch mount for my barrel vise for easy changes at the range.
Good idea!
I would be intrested in what you come up with.

Which action do you like better the Terminus or the tl3?
I have a tl3 just like yours and thinking of doing a build on a terminus, but also thinking of just rebarreling the tl3 to a new caliber for hunting.
Do you like your terminus or would you get another tl3 if you had a choice?
Thank you
elmer

I figured maybe an update, since it’s been 8 months. After this time i would recommend the terminus. The tl3 is nice, but for a few reasons I would buy the terminus before the tl3.

28inch Bartlein 6mm BR barrel feed from AW magazine, sits in a Magpul PRO 700 chassis
IMG_20210728_233548.JPG

The magazine is also modified to accept shorter carriage with maximum COAL of 2.45"
IMG_20210506_223506.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Dooby and EN2722
Who did this build? Really curious about some of the parts!
Russell @ Bad to the Bone Muzzleloaders Las Cruces NM. This is a Blackhorn 209 only barrel. The load provided was near 120 gr (by weight) 209 using a 300 gr Parker Black Max. The bullets are smooth sized and do not require a wad. Also the ignition system does not use the modules but a trimmed 243 case with a CCI 250.

Reactions: buggz
How do TL3 do running aw mags?
AW mags are all I've ever used, but I've never had a fail to feed. However, my rifle doesn't function 100% as a control round feed, and I suspect it has to do with the magazines. The bolt doesn't grab control of the round until the cartridge is about 50% in the chamber. There is a period of time when the round has left the magazine, but hasn't been grabbed by the bolt.

Not sure if it's mag related because I've never tried to use anything else.