• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bipod Options

tommy1005

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2008
Katy, TX
I just got a Magpul Bipod to put on the rifle I built for my son. However, after receiving it I'm not pleased with how low it hangs off the stock and the amount of play in the legs. I have used Harris for many years, but thought I'd try something different since this is the first stock I've gotten with a rail on the forend. The Magpul just seems sloppy in comparison to my Harris setups. Here are a couple pictures of the rifle, and a huge shoutout to Tom at Manners for taking good care of me and turning this around so that I could give it to my son for his birthday and before we head to Africa in June.

Attachments

• IMG_3454.jpg
    IMG_3454.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3455.jpg
    IMG_3455.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 84
Lol

I had the same issue so I built this.

I’ll be honest.
I’m getting good results with this bipod now.

You could try an atlas, they also have a bit of slop but I prefer that over the Harris stiffness.

Last edited:
The Harris is pretty tough to beat for the price in its basic configuration.
I recently bought an Atlas PSR with the LW-17 QD attachment and love it so far and wish I would have bought one sooner but have no intentions of getting rid of my Harris bipods.

I also got started out with a Harris and ended up with the atlas. Havent regretted spending the money on it yet. Built like a tank

Thanks for the review on the Magpul, I've been looking at getting one to try. +1 on Manners also. They have been awesome to work with for me also.

I have 2 Atlas CAL G2’s. I highly recommend them.

We had been roaming around finding weird spots to shoot from. Rifle is resting on a thick rubber block. Range was 360, FGMM 168.

Here’s off the ground, 540y and same ammo. The bipod is the one I’ve been waiting for someone to make for 20+ years, it’s just solid as a rock, and does everything I ask it to.

I still have my Harris, but it hasn’t been used since the CAL came in the mail. My buddy shoots his LMT MWS 308 off an Atlas as well.

You shoot them different.

A Harris can be loaded or free recoil. The springs allow the legs to rock with recoil.

Any other style absolutely has to have slop and be shot loaded. The slop is there for you to push into, and it keeps the legs from jumping with recoil.

I've watched more than one guy complain about his scope, gun, bags, etc. When I told them to take the Atlas off they laughed. When I shot the rifle for them they started listening.

Reactions: Jcarpenter223
You shoot them different.

A Harris can be loaded or free recoil. The springs allow the legs to rock with recoil.

Any other style absolutely has to have slop and be shot loaded. The slop is there for you to push into, and it keeps the legs from jumping with recoil.

I've watched more than one guy complain about his scope, gun, bags, etc. When I told them to take the Atlas off they laughed. When I shot the rifle for them they started listening.

"When I told them to take the Atlas off they laughed. When I shot the rifle for them they started listening." Please explain what you used instead of an Atlas, another bipod, a bag, freehand? thank you.

"When I told them to take the Atlas off they laughed. When I shot the rifle for them they started listening." Please explain what you used instead of an Atlas, another bipod, a bag, freehand? thank you.

I used the Atlas, just loaded it properly. They were trying to shoot it with no recoil control. You can get away with it on the Harris because the legs will rock without jumping. The Atlas you need to push the slack out and control recoil to limit the movement. If it hits the back end of the slack the legs can skip/jump.

It's all just technique and form. The guys with issues are usually older and have gotten away with sloppy form for years with the forgiveness of the Harris. Bought an Atlas under the impression it would magically make them better, and never learned how to use it.

I used the Atlas, just loaded it properly. They were trying to shoot it with no recoil control. You can get away with it on the Harris because the legs will rock without jumping. The Atlas you need to push the slack out and control recoil to limit the movement. If it hits the back end of the slack the legs can skip/jump.

It's all just technique and form. The guys with issues are usually older and have gotten away with sloppy form for years with the forgiveness of the Harris. Bought an Atlas under the impression it would magically make them better, and never learned how to use it.
Kasey is the guy behind the Atlas. fyi

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Love my Harris! Probably only thing original in this money pit of a hobby.

I've had everything from Cadwell in the early days, to Harris, and played with Magpul too. I currently use an Atlas with the ADM QD mount and love it. I've beat it up on personal use and used them on a guide gun from 3 years a they just work. They still have a little slop in them, but less than the others. I know they're expensive, but they're worth it. Don't buy the knock offs.

The Atlas has gone through several revisions early "V7" models were actually a pull leg design as is seen on Sako bipods. Early V8's have more tolerance, play, slop than ciurrent versions and the PSR models are also a "tighter" design comparted to the V8. The newer CAL eliminates the Pan or traversing feature and some consider it "tighter" yet. Some say the CAL misses the mark as it cant be loaded the same as an Atlas V8 or PSR... Regardless, I sincerely wished folks would consider the operator first rather than gear in the quest for precision shooting. We have all seen poor shooting styles that no amount of gear will correct. Get the operator right, then grow the gear.

Regardless, I sincerely wished folks would consider the operator first rather than gear in the quest for precision shooting. We have all seen poor shooting styles that no amount of gear will correct. Get the operator right, then grow the gear.

That's the truth. Many believe they can buy extra points before they need to actually practice and earn them. You're the one to thank for the recent revival of innovation in the bipod market, but some will think that because your product works so well they don't need to learn how to use it.

I've been lucky enough to have good instructors along the way, been shooting for over 20 years now. I've invested quite a bit of time and ammo to get the points I earn in matches.

Can't ever quit learning though, someone will always find a better way to do things, and someone out there will always be just a little bit better.

The bipod matters,

There is the lowest common denominator (Harris) and there is a bipod designed for precision work.

In this case the money spent is well worth it, we shoot $3000+ rifles and guys want to use a Sub-$100 bipod, silly.

An Atlas to me the bare minimum for a precision bipod, the CAL Version is an upgrade and works as advertised, the new TBAC is equally effective.

A Harris is just to get you by so you can save your money for a real one.

Context matters with bipod use, PRS have a different requirement than others, you don't see these bipods being used in F/TR for a reason. We adapt to their shortcomings and do well with them when paired with better equipment because that system takes up the slack lost on the bipod.

Reactions: Jknox1030 and Kasey
I'm the random guy who loves his accu-tac more than the Harris and Atlas he had used before. Nothing wrong with either but the Accu-tac just feels so much more solid for me.

I have several Harris bipods and atlas and don’t have a problem with the magpul. It is a little tall but has worked fine on a PRS rifle. I’m not sure what the slop your talking about is. My atlas will cant back and forth which is fine with me and has some movement in the legs. I’ve used the magpul on several different rifles since it came out and it’s been fine. I do use a game changer for rear support though.

I ended up getting an Atlas and returning the Magpul, much happier with the function and stability of the Atlas. With the Magpul I had, the legs didn't feel sturdy and were sloppy, and it wouldn't lock down, so the rifle would cant even when I cranked the adjustment as tight as it would go.

I ended up getting an Atlas and returning the Magpul, much happier with the function and stability of the Atlas. With the Magpul I had, the legs didn't feel sturdy and were sloppy, and it wouldn't lock down, so the rifle would cant even when I cranked the adjustment as tight as it would go.
Awesome. I think you'll be much happier in the long run with the Atlas.

so far so good....my son shot with it a few times last weekend and shot a 2 inch 5 shot group at 100....not bad for a 7 year old. I was making hits out to 1000 with a 10+ mph crosswind

I looked at both, the Magpul and the Atlas PRS. I ended up going with the Atlas - even at 3x the cost, I feel like it is well worth it. It is a piece of equipment that just feels so solid on the rifle.

I just got a Magpul Bipod to put on the rifle I built for my son. However, after receiving it I'm not pleased with how low it hangs off the stock and the amount of play in the legs. I have used Harris for many years, but thought I'd try something different since this is the first stock I've gotten with a rail on the forend. The Magpul just seems sloppy in comparison to my Harris setups. Here are a couple pictures of the rifle, and a huge shoutout to Tom at Manners for taking good care of me and turning this around so that I could give it to my son for his birthday and before we head to Africa in June.
I still use a harris, but with the adm pic rail adapter. It replaces the swivel mount.

The current bipod that I’m using I cut the legs off &installed solid steel legs to practic with until I figure out what to buy the legs were so sloppy even when loading still didn’t feel right I’m more of free recoil type shooter.
Leaning towards the Atlas prs unit.