• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt face calibers, a quick question

ncoutdoorsman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2008
Wilmington, NC
Hi,

If I were interested in rebarreling a Remington 700, what other calibers will fit a 308 bolt face?

Im guessing I could use 22-250 or 243 with that bolt face, but what others am I not thinking of?

Thanks guys

Short actions only

Re: Bolt face calibers, a quick question

Anything .473"

.270, 30-06, 7/08, 6XC, .260, 6mmRem, .243, 6.5x55, 6.5x284, .280 etc, ect, etc.

Ah, very cool link. And thanks William.

My reason for asking is I would like to find a cheap as dirt M700 short action to cannibalize for another 308 project.

I wanted to know what other short actions I could shop for that would have the bolt face I need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything .473"

.270, 30-06, 7/08, 6XC, .260, 6mmRem, .243, 6.5x55, 6.5x284, .280 etc, ect, etc. </div></div>

I am sure we could all add to the list but, ANYTHING .473 pretty much covers it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything .473"

.270, 30-06, 7/08, 6XC, .260, 6mmRem, .243, 6.5x55, 6.5x284, .280 etc, ect, etc. </div></div>

I am sure we could all add to the list but, ANYTHING .473 pretty much covers it. </div></div>

The list would be long
wink.gif

Im discovering that from the link above.. there are tons in .473

Sooo whos bored and wants to list all the short actions in .473?
smile.gif

Of course, if you get a 308 donor action, you really wouldn't want to build a 30-06 on it since it'd be to long.

Same bolt face, different length ports.

Thats correct.. im sticking to SA to SA.

I've just seen a few short actions in some local pawn shops and want to build another 308. I dont care to mess with long actions right now.

......... I just don't know what other calibers with a .473 face fall into the short action category.

In other words, Im trying to learn my short action calibers from my long action calibers to broaden my search when shopping for a donor action to become a 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncoutdoorsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just don't know what other calibers with a .473 face fall into the short action category.

In other words, Im trying to learn my short action calibers from my long action calibers to broaden my search when shopping for a donor action to become a 308. </div></div>

For a donor receiver, anything Remington makes in the SA 700 except .17, .204, .223 and the short mags. From Remingtons site listed for the SPS I've deleted the exemptions for you. There's still 22-250 & 6mmRem that you might find in a pawn shop. Additionally, Remington has an SPS Varmint that you might find a good start. The available calibers for the SPS and SPS Varmint are listed below

243 Win, 7mm-08 Remington, 308 Win & 22-250 Remington

Rem700

Thanks again William

I would go with a SPS since you can find a varmint for pretty darn cheap but I'm looking for an early version 700 which has the short bolt shroud.

If im REALLY lucky, i'll find one in the 5 digit serial range from 1962-1964 which will have a clip slotted receiver.

I am going to build an M40 and Im following the same steps that monteboy84 did on sniper central. If I cant find an old clip slotted receiver, I'll settle for the 6 digit serial with the short bolt shroud, and i'll try to find someone that can clip slot the receiver for me. Anyways, it looks like a fun project and i'd love to have one in my collection.

Its a great read, check it out.
https://www.snipercentral.com/forums/vie...asc&start=0

Your welcome. Most of the gems have probably been scarfed up by now but, you never know. Maybe one will turn up for you. You can always have the M40 receiver cuts cut into an SPS if all else fails.

Yeah, thats a good point. My hopes aren't too high of finding one but i'll keep watching the sites a while.

I don't suppose you can clip slot a receiver?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncoutdoorsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't suppose you can clip slot a receiver? </div></div>

I've found it best to send them out to someone who has a program loaded in a CNC Mill and let them run it.

GAP can slot it for you, and you know those guys will do it right. They have built many an m40 clone, in all of the versions.

Watch pawn shops near you, I have stumbled across a few 5 digits that way.

BTW- consider .260 for your build, that round is a good shootin SOB.