• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt Manipulation Techniques Video

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8j-uf36OuXA?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8j-uf36OuXA?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Bolt Manipulation Techniques Video

I apologize for the wind noise in the audio. I am working on getting a better audio system, but I can only spend so much at one time on this. I have a bunch of reviews waiting on some downtime. This was as much a "tutorial" as a proof of concept for my camera and editing. I already see a ton of room for improvement.

Re: Bolt Manipulation Techniques Video

Nice video John. What program are you using to do your video editing?

Great video as always, thanks for posting, I'd never seen that third bolt manipulation technique.

Nicely done. I think I will stick to using the 2nd bolt manipulation for now, the 3rd on looks a wee bit odd to tackle at my current skill level.

Funny, I've done all of these before at the range while just screwing around with my bolt guns. You really need a hair trigger to work the 3rd, because your middle finger wont pull straight back, nor will it pull with as much force as your main trigger finger.

I've not seen that chamber check before. It'll be a good one to practice.

Also, are you engaging the safety before you check the chamber after firing a string, or are you just tapping the safety to make sure its still there. I couldnt quite tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also, are you engaging the safety before you check the chamber after firing a string, or are you just tapping the safety to make sure its still there. I couldnt quite tell. </div></div>

Haha, if you watch the Slow Motion clip at the end, you can see that he is in fact moving the safety.

Great vid Lone, enjoyed it keep em coming. I noticed you don't even blink with the rifle goes off, is there a mindset or practice that prevents from blinking, Or is it just tons of time shooting being behind the gun? I most of the time blink with my rifle goes off, sometimes i don't and can spot my shot pretty well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great vid Lone, enjoyed it keep em coming. I noticed you don't even blink with the rifle goes off, is there a mindset or practice that prevents from blinking, Or is it just tons of time shooting being behind the gun? I most of the time blink with my rifle goes off, sometimes i don't and can spot my shot pretty well. </div></div>

Moving down to a lighter caliber (.223 bolt, I do not own a .22lr, yet) and making sure I was relaxed and focused helped me cure most of my blink issue. Then when I moved back to the .308 it was much easier. If there is a more direct technique I'm just as interested as you are in hearing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice video John. What program are you using to do your video editing? </div></div>

I am using Adobe Premier CS5

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mooner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to get a dead cat for your microphone to dampen the wind noise.</div></div>

This video was actually using the internal mic on the camera. No way to put a windscreen or dead kitty on it. Very soon I will be supplementing it with a Zoom H1 and a lav mic. I figure that will cover most of my needs for now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really need a hair trigger to work the 3rd, because your middle finger wont pull straight back, nor will it pull with as much force as your main trigger finger.</div></div>

Not so much. The rifle in the video has a 3.5lb trigger. While I won't be cleaning any dot drills with the middle finger, it's not a deal breaker.

I've not seen that chamber check before. It'll be a good one to practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, are you engaging the safety before you check the chamber after firing a string, or are you just tapping the safety to make sure its still there. I couldnt quite tell. </div></div>

I setting the selector back to safe at the end of the string. It's a habit I got into awhile back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great vid Lone, enjoyed it keep em coming. I noticed you don't even blink with the rifle goes off, is there a mindset or practice that prevents from blinking, Or is it just tons of time shooting being behind the gun? I most of the time blink with my rifle goes off, sometimes i don't and can spot my shot pretty well. </div></div>

Honestly it's not something I ever worked on. When I shoot I am concentrating so intently on where the reticle is when the shot breaks that I don't think my brain allows me to blink. However, when you are shooting at anything more than 100 yards you have plenty of time to blink AFTER the shot goes off but before the round impacts the target. I don't believe blinking after the shot impacts accuracy or your ability to spot your own shots.

Thanks for the great comments. If you guys didn't enjoy these, I wouldn't bother doing them. I will be doing some more on some interesting topics as soon as I get some time off from work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Moving down to a lighter caliber (.223 bolt, I do not own a .22lr, yet) and making sure I was relaxed and focused helped me cure most of my blink issue. Then when I moved back to the .308 it was much easier. If there is a more direct technique I'm just as interested as you are in hearing it.</div></div>

Will have to try that, haven't broken the .22 out in a while but that and the AR would definitely help. My anticipation and mindset changes depending on what I'm shooting also. And i just have those days not having shot in a couple of weeks where i get uneasy and the anticipation of the rifle going off gets to me. I had a flinching issue for years, due to moving up to a 12ga when i was too little, and i've just been able to fix that. The psychological aspects of shooting in some cases are ridiculous haha.

Thx, learnt a lot from that. Much appreciate.

Yet another great video! Really appreciate the effort you put into these... And the quality of the video is outstanding!

Like the chamber check. I am curious to see fi I have been doing that without thinking about it. Will see the next time at the range. If not I will be.
Thanks

One note: I've found that for heavy trigger pulls on horizontal grip stocks (i.e. old WWII rifles and such) a middle finger trigger pull is the best. I started using my middle finger on my M91/30 and it vastly improved the smoothness.

Also, I like the chamber check. That'll be first on my list of practices for the summer.

Thanks for the great video.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsmobiler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The middle finger style of shooting is prefected by the scandinavians in service rifle shoots - amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D77MGrrGw5I&feature=related </div></div>

Definitely learned something new from the vid (chamber check) but gotta admit, had some doubts about the 3rd method till I saw this.

Great vid. Thank you for taking the time to put that together. Too bad the action on a Savage is not a smooth as a 700, as it is a bit more difficult to do the second method with a Savage.

The 3rd method was also used with the Lee Enfield series of rifles. It can,indeed, be incredibly quick. There are supposedly records of German troops believing they'd encountered a machine gun, when in reality it was a group of British soldiers running their Lee Enfields very quickly.

Sergeant Major J.A Wallingford is recorded to have placed 38 aimed shots on a 12" target at 300 yards in under a minute using a Lee Enfield. I'd wager the 3rd technique was probably used at that time.
smile.gif

BTW, the vid was very well done. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for a great vid LoneWolfUSMC.

I'm familiar with 1 and 2 and will be trying 3 out very soon - especially on my Enfields and Mausers after what other posters have sait.

Exellent Video,
Those are great techinques, Great info for a novice shooter like me.
Thanks