• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bolt Stuck On Mod. 70

Jester8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2006
Bis. No.Dak.
Question for anyone that this has ever happened to, but I was dry firing just a little bit ago, click, cannot for the life of me cycle the bolt again. This is a model 70 SA. The bolt lifts parallel with the floor and then she ain't budgeing. I don't know if the firing pin broke, or the saftey broke where it locks the bolt in place or what. Anyone help me out?

Re: Bolt Stuck On Mod. 70

Sprayed some Break Free in there, let it soak, still wont budge....bueller?

BTW locked in the "Fired Position"

Nevermind got the bastard!!

Just had to pound the bolt upward, turn out the firing pin was decocked, which made it incredibably hard to cycle, functions flawlessly now...hope my stupid mistake can help someone else out if this every happens to them.

Jester

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocEd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's amazing how those firing pins get "uncocked" after firing! </div></div>

Ha ha, no kidding
grin.gif
, but this turd burgler was stuck, I took a mallet and persuaded it up, pulled the bolt out, and a tiny piece of metal was broken off underneath where the sear engages the firing pin. I have been dry firing alot lately. Sum bitch. Looked everywhere to try and find a new firing pin assembly, any gunsmiths know of a place to buy a new one? I emailed FN just waiting for a reply.

Edit to add: It appears that I have my head up my ass and that is is the cocking piece that was broken.

Thanks

I don't dry fire.

I simply manipulate the trigger after decocking the bolt (I do this by lowering the bolt knob slowly with the trigger depressed).

My goal is to achieve a smooth trigger draw all the way through the release point to the full stop without disturbing the sight picture. The effect is that A) I do not become accustomed to the point of sear release, which can negate the value of the exercise, B) the shooter becomes trained to pull the trigger all the way through to the stop, which negates tendencies for semi's to 'double', and C) absolutely no mechanical consequences follow the exercise.

My experience has taught me that there is absolutely no advantageous benefit derived from actually operating the lock through the full cycle for dryfire purposes, and issues involving wear and tear need not be part of the dry fire training cycle.

Greg

Greg, for arguments sake:

Could you be teaching yourself a bad habit....

pressing the trigger while closing the bolt. Muscle memory can have adverse affects as well as positive ones.

If you were to have the NEED to use you skills in a hostile situation.... you "could" revert to what you practice.

Just saying.

Might be so, but when I deliberately close the bolt this way, I'm using my left hand. When I manipulate the bolt normally, I use my trigger hand, so confusing the two operations becomes something of a moot point. Thank you for bringing up the point so I could clarify this.

Greg

Makes more sense that way Greg. I thought you were using your firing side finger to do the operation.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester8</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocEd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's amazing how those firing pins get "uncocked" after firing! </div></div>

Ha ha, no kidding
grin.gif
, but this turd burgler was stuck, I took a mallet and persuaded it up, pulled the bolt out, and a tiny piece of metal was broken off underneath where the sear engages the firing pin. I have been dry firing alot lately. Sum bitch. Looked everywhere to try and find a new firing pin assembly, any gunsmiths know of a place to buy a new one? I emailed FN just waiting for a reply.

Edit to add: It appears that I have my head up my ass and that is is the cocking piece that was broken.

Thanks </div></div>

Why not go direct from FN? Maybe a Winchester part would work as well?? IMO it could save you some $$.

I did email FN, this is an original Mod 70. So far I haven't heard anything from them, a phone call might be in order. I have read that the cocking pieces are prone to cracking and breaking, right around the same area as mine did. So maybe it is a design flaw, I don't know. Checked brownells no go, midway has the speed lock system.

I was looking at the Tubb speedlock system, anyone use those. They look to be high quality, but I have no direct experience with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I simply manipulate the trigger after decocking the bolt (I do this by lowering the bolt knob slowly with the trigger depressed).</div></div>

So the hammer just falls once you let the bolt down with your firing hand finger on the trigger, without actually depressing the trigger? That seems odd to me, but you are much wiser than me and have a whole lot more experience. I will have to give that a try.

I practice running the bolt so that I can incorporate that into my firing routine. I was hoping that this would turn into a natural reflex. Thanks.