• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Boot laces or other laces

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
I have to wear lineman high top boots and always have trouble finding replacement laces for them locally. Usually end up ordering from Whites or Hall's.
A couple of months ago when at the local auto parts/ small engine repair shop I had a lace break and let go. Pissed me off and since I was many miles from home, was wondering what to do, I got a piece of small engine starter cord to fill in until I got home. That piece of cord is still in there as it is better than the laces I was using.
Previously I had tried 505 and other para cord stuff but didn't like it, too stretchy. tended to lash up with time and usually too large.
Try some Briggs&Stratton starter cord. #4 cord is 1/8 in, .125 3.2mm and has part #790965, #3 1/2 is neat stuff. .11 2.8mm part#790968 a little lighter. It is black with red spots. Stihl makes some that is white. The numbers are not transposed.
This ended the problem of me finding laces and you can have laces that will probably outlast you boots at around 20 cents per foot,YMMV.
I relaced my tall boots for $2.25.
I hope this helps some of you. Regards, FM

There's a company that recently finished a Kickstarter campaign called Rhino Laces. From what I can gather, they're GAC with a synthetic cover.

Made by some wildland firefighters, and constructed so they're cut proof and burn proof. I ordered a set, and because of the Kickstarter campaign they're only pre-order for a bit, but it's worth it to take a look. I think I'll end up buying a few pairs once I see how the first set performs. They're more expensive than normal laces, but if you never break them it's probably a worthwhile tradeoff.

Rhino Laces

I am sure there other laces around better than this stuff I posted about and I am glad to hear about it.
I read your post and ordered a pair for myself. Shipping as much as lacing, not for when you need it right now.
The B&S string is readily available, and in lots of places.
It'll get you by for cheap. Regards, FM

Good to know.

I've always wanted to know exactly what type of cord my speedlace combat boots come with. They are never made long enough any more, and I'd like to buy a bulk roll so I can cut my own lengths. It's great cord for other uses, too. The manufacturer was of no help. They wouldn't/couldn't tell me what it is.

Could always make your own ghetto version of those rhino laces by covering small diameter galvanized aircraft cable with the outer sheath of some 550. It just wouldn't be very pretty.

I bought a couple sets of KG-XTREME laces when stateside over the holidays. I seem to be a bit tough on them, so far so good with these, time will tell though.

The Rhino guys say that the sheath may get shredded, but the insides will still be bullet-proof, kinda literally. Methinks the magic material is a small diameter Kevlar core with a synthetic sheath. If you look at the pics of laces rolled up, you'll the ends pretty much sticking straight out. Stiffness and heat resistance are hallmarks of Kevlar.

I don't mean to be snarky, but how do we know how sharp that machete really is in the video? When I was setting up my rock/ice climbing gear, especially the ice climbing stuff the cut resistance was a major plus. Waaay too many sharp items are part of ice climbing. The instructions for whipping the cut ends were a were a little different from how'd you do it compared to 550 or accessory cord. Instead of just cutting to length and melting the ends. With Kevlar cord, after cutting, you'd peel back the sheath, cut the core shorter, then pull the sheath up, THEN melt the sheath.

You CAN cut Kevlar, but what ever the sharp cutting edge is, it will be toast in as little as 1 cut. For manufacturing you'd use a blade from ceramic. Also, nylon melts at ~450°F while Kevlar doesn't melt, it degrades, at ~1000°F. It must behave somewhat like Nomex does when it exposed to fire. One problem with Kevlar cord is the filaments can break if sharply bent repeatedly, like shoelaces at the knot. I think that is why the laces are sold with cord locks.