• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bought 4 new lightweight rifles to shoot and review.

Xfrog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2021
Sterlington louisiana
So I need a lightweight 308 to pack in the woods. I bought the following rifles to test. I will keep the top 2 and sell the losers. I will do a cohesive write up when I finish. Prior to these I have CA, Bergara, Savage, Sako and R 700.

1. CA carbon barrel 18". $2065 otd 6.3lb on my scale
2. Springfield Waypoint carbon 18.5" (w/o brake) $2009 otd. 6.1lb on my scale sans brake (it is 3.3oz fyi)
3. Sig Cross 16" $1670 otd 6.5oz
4. Tikka T3 ultra $885 plus 75$ cut to 18" and thread. 6.4lb
So far I have 20 rnds through the CA. Nice rifle . Fits the bill. .93 with FGMM. 1.6 With my favorite whitetail round (amax 168)
Tikka 40+ rnds. .1.3 FGMM, .77 Amax. Recoil feels substantially greater than the CA? Both fired with and without suppressor, Omega 300. Tikka with yodave spring is a better trigger than the CA IMHO. With the low cost of the Tikka I am amazed at how much gun you get. They need to up the quality of their stocks and be near perfect off the shelf rifles. Recommend stocks for the T3? Need to be carbon.
Hopefully the weather will allow me to shoot the Waypoint this weekend. Anxious to try it. Fit and finish is on par with my LSP 4200$ proof barreled 338. The sig is def the ugly duck of the group. Waiting on a safety fix from sig. They have had it for 2 weeks.

mesa precision altitude stock for the tikka. the comb could be a little higher for prone but other than that a good stock. at a minimum, a limbsaver buttpad or the like will decrease felt recoil.

Reactions: Xfrog
I’m in the same boat (i.e. looking for a ultra lite .308 hunting rig). Was primarily looking at CA and Tikka. Curious to see your thoughts. Was leaning CA but Tikka is half the price. Can only pop one buck and one doe a year during rifle season so as long as it’s a MOA group capable gun should be fine.

"You looking for comments or just want to be a writer of reviews ?"

I did not always have the funds to weed through rifles at a loss. I am hoping the information can help someone looking at similar rifles. 30 years ago I saved all summer for a deer rifle to get the one with the most recognizable name at the time. It turned out to be a brick. I couldn't take a loss selling it to replace and was stuck with an unreliable and inaccurate rifle for 3 seasons. No intention of being a you tuber or reviewer other than this trial.

Looking up the Mesa now, thanks

I'm really looking forward to your review of the Springfield. I'm looking at one of these for a near future purchase. All of the reviews I have seen so far are pretty positive, but they were all loaner guns from Springfield. Looking forward to a real independent review.

So I need a lightweight 308 to pack in the woods. I bought the following rifles to test. I will keep the top 2 and sell the losers. I will do a cohesive write up when I finish. Prior to these I have CA, Bergara, Savage, Sako and R 700.

1. CA carbon barrel 18". $2065 otd 6.3lb on my scale
2. Springfield Waypoint carbon 18.5" (w/o brake) $2009 otd. 6.1lb on my scale sans brake (it is 3.3oz fyi)
3. Sig Cross 16" $1670 otd 6.5oz
4. Tikka T3 ultra $885 plus 75$ cut to 18" and thread. 6.4lb
So far I have 20 rnds through the CA. Nice rifle . Fits the bill. .93 with FGMM. 1.6 With my favorite whitetail round (amax 168)
Tikka 40+ rnds. .1.3 FGMM, .77 Amax. Recoil feels substantially greater than the CA? Both fired with and without suppressor, Omega 300. Tikka with yodave spring is a better trigger than the CA IMHO. With the low cost of the Tikka I am amazed at how much gun you get. They need to up the quality of their stocks and be near perfect off the shelf rifles. Recommend stocks for the T3? Need to be carbon.
Hopefully the weather will allow me to shoot the Waypoint this weekend. Anxious to try it. Fit and finish is on par with my LSP 4200$ proof barreled 338. The sig is def the ugly duck of the group. Waiting on a safety fix from sig. They have had it for 2 weeks.
Check out the McMillan Game Hunter stock for the tikka

Have a Tikka Superlite in 7mag.
Only modification is a pre-fit limbsaver and it's a pussycat to shoot.

Factory gun and ammo consistently ~.5 moa. Hard to beat that for a $650 dollar gun.

My preference between Manners and McMillan thus far would be Manners simply because you can get it with a mini-chassis. Now it's as expensive as the other guns ;-). Their CF hunting stock with the light weight adjustable cheek piece is fire. That would be my "no brainer" choice in a hunting stock if I wanted that feature. Otherwise, you can grab the CF McMillan or Manners of your choice. I'm partial to the A3/T2 design myself - no the lightest, but I'll pay the few ounces of penalty for the functionality. Then again, my "light weight" gun is 9.5 lbs and I'm good with it.

For the Tikka I ordered the Mesa precision Altitude. Will add to the review.
Took the Waypoint out Saturday : Fired 10 rounds each, 5 min cool down at 38-44 degrees between groups of 5.
175 FGMM, .62. And .59
168 FGMM, .72 and 1.3 ( 1 flyer?). 61 not counting
168 HORNADY MATCH. .45. and .48
175 WINCHESTER SMK MATCH. .90 and .85 ( the Winchester SMK loading were 30-150 slower than the FGMM 175. NOT IMPRESSED with the weight disparity of the 20 rounds as weights were all over on my grain scale.
I need to upload the target. Soo far I have been shooting without the brake for a baseline. I will try with the brake and suppressed with both Omega, harvester and TB ultra. Hopefully before Xmas.
Also, I don't care for the grip on the AG stock. It is too thick to hold like I am used to. The distance from the swell to the trigger is also more suited to a bench gun than a hunter. Others seem to think it's fantastic. To each his own... I called AG and inquired about sanding it down and was told the carbon is too thin and would probably get into the "fill'.

I work in a hospital so the outbreak of COVID in my area slowed down my shooting. Better late than never... Here are my thoughts so far:

Waypoint 2020- 260 rounds so far. It is a solid 1/2 MOA rifle. Short word descriptors, solid, reliable, consistent. The action is excellent, slick, little movement, controls the rounds well moving out of the box, light bolt lift. The trigger tech is really good. The carbon barrel is consistent without stringing when it heats up. Something that is seldom mentioned, the pic rail on the receiver is pinned for recoil as an added measure. This is something I have only seen in the hard kicking big bore customs. This will be my go-to for most of the hunting I do.
It does not like Winchester ammunition. The 168 win match is 1.3 moa.The 168 ELDM is the most accurate factory round. I have fired many sub 1/2" groups with 168 ELDM and Amax hand loads. 175 gmm is .65 MOA at 200yrds but .95 MOA at 100. My current load is 168 Amax, imr4895 39g cci 200 @2650.

20211207_201202.JPG

• Love
Reactions: pineoak and 260284
Next up is the SAKO S20 in 6.5prc..
This one came into the fold just recently. I'm so impressed with it I had to include. I am just amazed at the quality you get for 1500$ this rifle could sell at 2500$ and be a good deal.
The SAKO comes in 2 versions, hunter and precision. The stock to swap is 179$ and a 2 min conversion. My dealer has a promotion so the other stock is free. My hunter stock has been ordered. This rifle is 7.1lbs on my scale. It is either a takedown or modular, however you want to label it. It comes with a tool that allows the rear portion to slide off and the fore end to lever off. The stock is meant to be a selling point but actually seems to be a detractor for many. It is plastic... It does however have a full length chassis underneath. The qd sling mounts front a rear and the recoil pad are mated to the chassis. The receiver is bolted to the chassis in 3 locations and is rock solid. The outer shell has zero structural duties. The shape is fantastic and I prefer the grip over the AG. The grip is interchangeable as is the entire fore end. The pic rail is machined into the receiver and is perfect. The dimensions are spot on so properly spec one piece mounts fit without issue. The bolt is typical SAKO, slick and tight. 3 lugs, and a mini lever under the safety that allows you to work the bolt with the safety on. The firing pin is mechanically blocked when on safe. I took the rifle out of the box, bore scoped it. (Bore looks like glass) chamber shows fine cross hatching. Just superb machining. The stock fits the barrel perfectly. The barrel channel is interchangeable and rest on the anodized chassis. Mine has a 22" fluted stainless barrel with Tungsten cerakote. I took the rifle out and mounted a Viper pst2 I had on a shelf using Warne mountain rings. I cleaned and lubed it. Took it out on a windy day and fired 3 Rounds of H ELDX 147gr. To get sighted. Rounds 4,5 and 6 are shown in pic. I finished off the box cleaning with 2 patches between each group. (At home it took 3 patches to thoroughly clean. Zero copper when bore scoped prior to cleaning 6.5prc ammo is nowhere to be found so I have brass on order. The H ELDM is easy to find due to the Creed being so popular. If I had the ammo this would be my favorite to shoot at distance. Longer, heavier than the others but a true pleasure to run.

The Sig had to go back for warranty work (second time) so it may be awhile before I can give a final review. For now I can say that I really "wanted" to like it.

• Haha
Reactions: JS8588
Have a Tikka Superlite in 7mag.
Only modification is a pre-fit limbsaver and it's a pussycat to shoot.

Factory gun and ammo consistently ~.5 moa. Hard to beat that for a $650 dollar gun.

This guy gets it! If u don’t want to go this route then build the custom of your choice with a pre-fit barrel with components of your choice and don’t throw money away modifying factory fodder.

"This guy gets it! If u don’t want to go this route then build the custom of your choice with a pre-fit barrel with components of your choice and don’t throw money away modifying factory fodder."

Honestly, out of 30+ bolt guns, 6 are customs, my most accurate are "factory fodder". A Remington 700ADL 243 from 1982. A SAKO 260 and Bergara 7mm. This was not a best bang for a buck review. I was looking for a lightweight rifle I enjoy shooting.

Reactions: Marine52
"This guy gets it! If u don’t want to go this route then build the custom of your choice with a pre-fit barrel with components of your choice and don’t throw money away modifying factory fodder."

Honestly, out of 30+ bolt guns, 6 are customs, my most accurate are "factory fodder". A Remington 700ADL 243 from 1982. A SAKO 260 and Bergara 7mm. This was not a best bang for a buck review. I was looking for a lightweight rifle I enjoy shooting.

Well in that case…sounds like you’d do this crowd a greater service by letting us know which customer makers to avoid than which one random modified factory rifle is the most accurate.

Accuracy should be a “given” in a custom rifle and should be “expected” to vary between mass produced factory rifles. With your data point of only “one”, you have no way of knowing which end of the accuracy spectrum your factory rifle falls own.

I’m a tinker myself and admire anyone spending their on money in an attempt to inform others but with such a small sample set the results are only applicable to the one rifle you happened to purchase.

Last edited:
The one spec I cannot find on Springfield's website is the LOP for the Waypoint. Would you be able to measure that and report back? Does that rifle come with any spacers to adjust the LOP? I would love to get one of these, I just want to put my hands on it first.

It's been a year since I posted due to the guys on here who can't help but be a dick. I'm just going to give my honest opinion on my likes from the 6 rifles I've been shooting the past year.
My favorite shooter, the SAKO S20.. I ended up buying a second in 308. It and the 6.5prc are both 1/2" or better with factory ammo. The prc favors the eldx over the m.
The 308 shoots anything under an inch and best with the 168 a max.
Euro op has had them on on sale stupid cheap lately. Worth double the asking price.
My favorite box stand rifle is the waypoint. It favors the 175 smk and 178 eldm.
The sig was sold after the second warranty job. The Tika (a solid 3/4 rifle) went to a friend for helping me out with some dirt work. It did what it was supposed to just not as well as the waypoint.

The CA had a short chamber and needed a new barrel. The stock had to get replaced also as the AGs I have just ruin any other stock for you. It shoots well now but not a company I can recommend. This was the second of five I have bought that had to go back.

Reactions: carbonbased
Thanks for the time you spent on this, Xfrog

Can you change the trigger spring on the S20? Like you can with the Tikka?

If so, did you do that?

Thanks for the time you spent on this, Xfrog

Can you change the trigger spring on the S20? Like you can with the Tikka?

If so, did you do that?
If you know anything about the TRG, it is known as the most accurate out of the box rifle ever built. A well known sniper was asked if the trg was worth the cost. He said, for hunting or targets no. If you have to take a rifle you dont know out of a box and save your friends life at 1500 yards then hell yes its worth it. The S20 shares many of it's components (trigger) frame system and barrel design. It is micro adjustable and fantastic. Set like I now have it, it feels similar to my trigertech diamond at the same weight. I have it at 1.8. I plan to get a trg 22a1 next year after I sell a few safe queens. I'm a SAKO fan boy now I guess

I did not realize the S20 had the TRG trigger design

I was considering a Tikka with a custom stock -- Now I am thinking the S20 may be the better option

Thanks

I like the target stock for hunting out of a stand. The thumb hole feels great also and would be better suited for a stalk or quick shot. It's nice to have the choice at no added cost

do you know where they are including the second stock at no charge ?

I may have missed it, but didn't you get a Savage to test too? How did it do and what are the particulars on it? Thanks, Paul

Looks like now Euro has dropped the price to 1049 but not including the stock. The new ones have the Tika roughtec spray. No way id pay 550 for a colr when you can wrap it any color for 75$. Custom film dip for 100$
Screenshot_20230524_220453_Chrome.jpg

If you know anything about the TRG, it is known as the most accurate out of the box rifle ever built. A well known sniper was asked if the trg was worth the cost. He said, for hunting or targets no. If you have to take a rifle you dont know out of a box and save your friends life at 1500 yards then hell yes its worth it. The S20 shares many of it's components (trigger) frame system and barrel design. It is micro adjustable and fantastic. Set like I now have it, it feels similar to my trigertech diamond at the same weight. I have it at 1.8. I plan to get a trg 22a1 next year after I sell a few safe queens. I'm a SAKO fan boy now I guess

You will not be disappointed. I have a TRG-22 308 that I cut down to 18” and its probably my favorite hunting rifle. A little over 10 lbs with a light scope so maybe not the first choice for long mountain hunts but not bad. 22A1 is the same rifle but heavier. Lowlight reviewed a 22A1 recently.

Hell yeah to the 18"...
Just wish they made a 20" 6.5 prc ... I have made a few request direct to the marketing team. I like it's capability over the creed when you have the added weight to comp for the recoil. In a ultralight the prc doesn't make as much sense to me. With 12lbs it will be the way to go.