• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Boulder Colorado Hold Vigil For Dead Elk

Re: Boulder Colorado Hold Vigil For Dead Elk

Quoted:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Just in case the District Attorney Stan Garnett needs any advice about charges against the two officers involved in this tragic event, here are some ever so humbly proposed possibilities:

1. Poaching.
2. Discharging a weapon in the city limits without due cause.
3. Failure to report weapon discharge.
4. Lying to a superior about reasons for weapon discharge.
5. Dereliction of duty as a peace officer related to lying about the necessity of shooting the elk.
6. Conspiracy to commit felony poaching.

Any more?"</span>

Hard to argue with some of these. Here is my take:

I'm more concerned that they discharged a firearm in a residential neighborhood when their life or someone else's wasn't threatened, and didn't file a report about the discharge.

They also killed it a 11.00 p.m. They were probably using some kind of light (let's hope so) considering it's a residential neighborhood.. LOL look at the Christmas lights on the house in the background of where he dropped it. A civilian would have been arrested and charged.

DSC_0852.JPG

Hmm... this one smells.

Loved this comment:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The last time I killed an elk my entire family held candlelight vigils every night for months, we called it dinner.</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Loved this comment:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The last time I killed an elk my entire family held candlelight vigils every night for months, we called it dinner.</span></span>

</div></div>

LOL. Too funny.

Ommmm mane padme hummmmmmm

Only in Boulder. The cop who shot it is going to be in big trouble with CDOW. Dumb move on his part from what i have heard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Loved this comment:

</div></div>

LOL. Too funny. </div></div>

Thank you. That was me, well, being me.

A second off-duty officer, suspected of assisting in loading the animal's body into a pickup truck and taking it away to be processed for meat, also was placed on leave.

<span style="color: #CC0000"> ^^^^^^^ the only smart one</span>

Vigil organizer Jim Riemersma said he wanted to give the neighborhood an opportunity to grieve, celebrate and find “a little bit of closure.”

<span style="color: #CC0000">grieve??? closure??? for a wild animal??</span>

The vigil was held on Mountain View Road at the site of a tree memorial and near the yard where the elk was shot.

<span style="color: #CC0000">tree memorial? maybe a new national monument to come??</span>

“I know a lot of us have had a lot of anger, a lot of questions, a lot of uncertainty,” he said. “Tonight's a celebration, <span style="text-decoration: underline">a celebration of the elk. We loved him. But I think he loved us, too, because he returned to this neighborhood.”</span>

<span style="color: #CC0000">celebration of the elk? But it's at the meat processor. Elk came because it loved them??? ..not because they fed it; I'm sure that's just a coincidence.</span>

“To murder an animal who feels like he's part of the neighborhood is despicable.”

<span style="color: #CC0000">They really need to understand what murder is. Sounding like the elk may have been the one with the higher IQ. There's a reason to grieve and it isn't related to the elk being shot.</span>

The vigil included a mix of people from the neighborhood A framed photo of the elk is in the memorial tree on Mountain View Road in Boulder. Meghan Stephens, of Louisville, said she came with her husband and 14-month-old daughter to <span style="text-decoration: underline">lend support to her sister</span>, who lives in the neighborhood.

<span style="color: #CC0000">One can only hope she was expecting to help serve plates...</span>

I am afraid this country is turning into a bunch of complete idiots!!!! I think people are just getting dumber!!! Cops are stupid! people are stupid. where has the common sense gone!!!

I wonder how many of those nitwits would show up to grieve for a cop killed by an Elk?

Does it say anywhere what firearm he used? Also what happened to the meat? Donated? Who got the antlers?

It just seems that the most important questions aren't getting asked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Loved this comment:

</div></div>

LOL. Too funny. </div></div>

Thank you. That was me, well, being me. </div></div>

I LOL'd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BirdEyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A second off-duty officer, suspected of assisting in loading the animal's body into a pickup truck and taking it away to be processed for meat, also was placed on leave.

<span style="color: #CC0000"> ^^^^^^^ the only smart one</span>

Vigil organizer Jim Riemersma said he wanted to give the neighborhood an opportunity to grieve, celebrate and find “a little bit of closure.”

<span style="color: #CC0000">grieve??? closure??? for a wild animal??</span>

The vigil was held on Mountain View Road at the site of a tree memorial and near the yard where the elk was shot.

<span style="color: #CC0000">tree memorial? maybe a new national monument to come??</span>

“I know a lot of us have had a lot of anger, a lot of questions, a lot of uncertainty,” he said. “Tonight's a celebration, <span style="text-decoration: underline">a celebration of the elk. We loved him. But I think he loved us, too, because he returned to this neighborhood.”</span>

<span style="color: #CC0000">celebration of the elk? But it's at the meat processor. Elk came because it loved them??? ..not because they fed it; I'm sure that's just a coincidence.</span>

“To murder an animal who feels like he's part of the neighborhood is despicable.”

<span style="color: #CC0000">They really need to understand what murder is. Sounding like the elk may have been the one with the higher IQ. There's a reason to grieve and it isn't related to the elk being shot.</span>

The vigil included a mix of people from the neighborhood A framed photo of the elk is in the memorial tree on Mountain View Road in Boulder. Meghan Stephens, of Louisville, said she came with her husband and 14-month-old daughter to <span style="text-decoration: underline">lend support to her sister</span>, who lives in the neighborhood.

<span style="color: #CC0000">One can only hope she was expecting to help serve plates...</span> </div></div>

These people don't care about the elk they just want to feel like they're part of something. If you made a big enough deal about it, they'd come in droves to mourn the mutilation of grass after it was mowed. Anything to make themselves feel good about themselves.

I hate Boulder. The wife wanted to go up there to eat as some diner she saw on Triple D, and I said no thanks. Will not spend my $$$ in that town.

I heard on a local radio show this morning that the cop that shot it had his sheriff buddy pick up the carcass for processing. Turns out the sheriff is also a taxidermist. These guys are going down. I think it is a 20K fine to illegally shoot a trophy elk "Sampson" law. They may even do time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Time 23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard on a local radio show this morning that the cop that shot it had his sheriff buddy pick up the carcass for processing. Turns out the sheriff is also a taxidermist. These guys are going down. I think it is a 20K fine to illegally shoot a trophy elk "Sampson" law. They may even do time. </div></div>

It looks like it's going t get worse before t gets better for these guys:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/...-peripheral-not

AZ7fa.gif

Is that code word for barbecue??

Watch the video... towards the end a lady actually said "there is not alot of difference in this shooting of this defenseless elk and the shooting of innocent children in CT".

Are you fucking kidding me??? what the hell is this world coming to?

Out of all the things humans do to impact the environment, hunting has to rank as one of the lowest. Usually when I get into reading a rash of anti gun comments, anti hunting comments aren't far behind. Like has been said, these people don't care about the animals, they just want to go with the group to feel good about themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boulder...20 square miles surrounded by reality. </div></div>

The Wiki page on Boulder is pretty funny.

Boulder sucks. I have to drive through that town once or twice per week for my job. They don't call it the "bubble" for nothing.

I was hunting in November out in 029 (which is mostly Boulder County). I'm not from CO, and nobody warned me that driving through Boulder in blaze orange and camo was a generally bad idea. Don't worry, I'm educated now.

Hell, the local LEO here are going to all get the chair if this sets precedent. I'd highly imagine stray cats and dogs are like children to the nutcases! Of course, none of this would happen without facebook....

Vigil held for elk? Sounds about the norm for Boulder.

Shankster is on point, imo.

They amazing part is that these knucklehead cops cooked this plan up and arrived to the conclusion that they would be good to go!!! LMAO
I can see it now... 'We're good, dude... We have badges'

Of all the places to try and pull a stunt like this... Boulder, Republic Of??? come on, guys...

Oh, and I think he shot it from his car with a 12ga (to answer a question from above)

MD2 I think you are right on with that.
Boulder, the Land of Fruits and Nuts. I avoid it at all costs.
I don't think they will get away with this one but do wonder WTF was going through their minds when they did this. Makes me more cautious of LEOs up there now. Maybe they were smoking some of that legal weed then that they had confiscated before the law was changed. I hope they tested them as I don't think they were in their right minds.
I am really wondering how this will play out. I expect to see charges filed or a "Get out of Jail Card" played here shortly.
Very interesting. Regards, FM

"Carter, who was on duty that night in a district that includes Mapleton Hill, later told internal police investigators he shot the elk because it was limping and displayed broken antlers."

This guy is screwed. Shooting an animal because of "broken antlers" is just plain stupid.

Just curious how an internal investigation was made public.

Hell that's a nice bull, I would of shot it. Bet the officer gets his picture taken with it. Can you hear the stories already !!

I will say that we all need to wait until the charges are or are not filed and see how the wind blows up there.???
I think something is wrong up there and if anything, as much as I dislike both involved [Fruit&Nuts and badLEOs] maybe something good will come from this.
It is high enough profile for it to just
blow away and be swept under the rug. Bubba has his hands tied here.
Those Old Rich trust-funder Hippies will make it their mission to see that this thing runs it's course.
Regards, FM

"I don't see the difference in the shooting of this defenseless animal any different than the shooting of school children in connecticut"

Haven't heard something that dumb in awhile. I can only imagine what happens when an animal gets run over.