• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Boycotting Starbucks over gun policy

macgulley

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2005
Auburn, AL
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Starbucks’ Love for Guns Prompts Gun Victims’ Advocate Group to Launch Nationwide Boycott on Valentine’s Day 2012

CHICAGO, IL.: A nationwide boycott of Starbucks stores and its products will be launched on Valentine’s Day 2012. Its goal is to eliminate the risk of guns in public places and ultimately to bring sane gun laws to the U.S.
This boycott is being called by the National Gun Victim’s Action Council (NGAC), a network of representatives of 14 million gun victims, the faith community — including the Episcopal Peace Fellowship, United Church of Christ, Fellowship of Reconciliation — and secular groups working to reduce gun violence and many of the organizations that support passing sane gun laws.

WHY STARBUCKS?

Currently, Starbucks allows guns and assault weapons to be openly carried in its stores (in 43 states) and concealed and carried in its stores (in 49 states) (See Photos). Starbucks’ compliance with the National Rifle Association’s Pro-Gun Agenda was exposed in 2010 when members of the “open carry” movement began meeting in popular chains, such as California Pizza Kitchen, Peets, IKEA, Disney and Starbucks openly carrying their handguns and assault rifles. (Types of Guns)

To protect their customers and employees, all of the retail chains — except for Starbucks — banned guns from being carried in their stores.

“Starbucks allowing guns to be carried in thousands of their stores significantly increases everyone’s risk of being a victim of gun violence,” says Elliot Fineman, C.E.O. of the NGAC. “Open and conceal and carry are among the reasons there are 12,000 gun homicides each year in the U.S. If we had England’s gun laws we would expect 375 gun homicides each year — 97% less than we have. England’s gun laws are based on protecting public safety, ours on maximizing sales for the gun industry.” (Non-Sane Gun Laws)</div></div>

I don't go to Starbucks often but you can be sure I will be there on Valentines day this year. They have consistently stood against the gun banners and this is one way we can show our support.

http://forusa.org/blogs/shauen-v-t-pearc...un-policy/10144

Re: Boycotting Starbucks over gun policy

I find it hilarious that this story comes out of Chicago... where open, concealed, even ownership of guns is restricted to people who know people...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">“Open and conceal and carry are among the reasons there are 12,000 gun homicides each year in the U.S. If we had England’s gun laws we would expect 375 gun homicides each year — 97% less than we have. England’s gun laws are based on protecting public safety, ours on maximizing sales for the gun industry.”</div></div>
Definitely the most ignorant shit Ive read today, but not surprising.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">“Open and conceal and carry are among the reasons there are 12,000 gun homicides each year in the U.S. If we had England’s gun laws we would expect 375 gun homicides each year — 97% less than we have. England’s gun laws are based on protecting public safety, ours on maximizing sales for the gun industry.”</div></div>
Definitely the most ignorant shit Ive read today, but not surprising.</div></div>

That's no joke! Where do people come up with this bullshit?!

I don't live within 10 miles of a Starbuck's but if I get close to one, I'll drop in.

Well I guess all of the laptop jocky, tree huggin sissys will have to fend for them selves. Ill stick to beer, ribs and sweet tea where I'm welcome

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TaknOutSlack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I guess all of the laptop jocky, tree huggin sissys will have to fend for them selves. Ill stick to beer, ribs and sweet tea where I'm welcome</div></div>

I think you misunderstood... the bleeding heart saps want the libs to boycott starbucks because the company has chosen not to infringe on customer's 2a rights. Starbucks is NOT the enemy here.

I like their house blend, i'll have to go buy another bag just to "vote with my wallet".

I'm honestly surprised that they haven't said no guns here, since we had a 17 yr. old girl have a negligent discharge in the starbucks a few weeks ago. Reasons not to carry a cocked revolver loose in your purse, but I digress...

I'm a permit holder in my state (for reciprocity reasons), but WY is now constitutional carry so it's not a huge hassle here as many business go along with it. My gym does not, but that is because of frequent locker break-ins, not politics. Can't blame them there. Our mall just went to "gun free zone", and i'm not doing business with them anymore. I'm going to send a form letter to the manager of all the stores and urge them to complain.

Go buy one about every weekend. Never stopped before cause of the cost. Will be stopping this weekend. Good on them.

I propose a counter-boycott.

Tell your friends, and anyone you meet at the range, or the gunstore, about this news, and tell them that since Starbuck's supports American citizens, and their right to carry, that it be only fitting that we return that respect.

Show your love on the 14th, and buy some Starbuck's coffee.

This story doesn't show the whole comment Starbucks made though. One of Starbucks head CEO or whomever also said that it would be very unsafe for us to ask one of our employees not to serve someone with a gun. Stating that it would put their employees in jeopardy because that person legally has a gun and could become upset which could lead to bigger problems. Their comment was a double edged sword

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DonniePD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This story doesn't show the whole comment Starbucks made though. One of Starbucks head CEO or whomever also said that it would be very unsafe for us to ask one of our employees not to serve someone with a gun. Stating that it would put their employees in jeopardy because that person legally has a gun and could become upset which could lead to bigger problems. Their comment was a double edged sword</div></div>

I've yet to hear of any lawful gun owner drawing down on a barista because their latte wasn't super mega grande.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate coffee, but support the cause. </div></div>

so buy a scone
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I propose a counter-boycott.

Tell your friends, and anyone you meet at the range, or the gunstore, about this news, and tell them that since Starbuck's supports American citizens, and their right to carry, that it be only fitting that we return that respect.

Show your love on the 14th, and buy some Starbuck's coffee. </div></div>

What he said, I will definitely be there valentines day, and I now have a new great respect for Starbucks

I did a search for "Starbucks and guns" and din't find anything until the bottom of the second page. It seems that Starbucks is going to get love from other sites that support 2 amendment rights. I guess I'll show them some love too and bring the whole family.

Here is the actual statement given by Starbuck's... My wife works for them and they've told their Partners (Employees) that they wish to remain neutral in this.

------------------------------------------------------------

<span style="font-style: italic">We recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. Advocacy groups from both sides of this issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions.

While we deeply respect the views of all our customers, Starbucks long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged. We comply with local laws and statutes in all the communities we serve. In this case, 43 of the 50 U.S. states have open carry weapon laws. Where these laws don't exist, we comply with laws that prohibit the open carrying of weapons. The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores.

At the same time, we have a security protocol for any threatening situation that might occur in our stores. Partners are trained to call law enforcement as situations arise. We will continuously review our procedures to ensure the highest safety guidelines are in place and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement.

We have examined this issue through the lens of partner (employee) and customer safety. Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position.

As the public debate continues, we are asking all interested parties to refrain from putting Starbucks or our partners into the middle of this divisive issue. As a company, we are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society. Our Starbucks family knows all too well the dangers that exist when guns are used irresponsibly and illegally. Without minimizing this unfortunate reality, we believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.
</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a search for "Starbucks and guns" and din't find anything until the bottom of the second page. It seems that Starbucks is going to get love from other sites that support 2 amendment rights. I guess I'll show them some love too and bring the whole family. </div></div>

As stupid as this sounds, if you ever want to hear about something Starbucks says enter "Starbucks Seattle News" and the whatever topic ie "Guns" and you'll get better results. Anytime something happens with Starbucks or Microsoft it makes headline news here...

in utah a store or business that is open to the public does not have the power to ban guns from coming in, I suspect other states have similar laws.

I didn't realize how much I really like Starbucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cummins cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in utah a store or business that is open to the public does not have the power to ban guns from coming in, I suspect other states have similar laws. </div></div>

That's the way it should be but here a business can post a sign and disallow firearms in which case you're not allowed to carry onto their property. I believe the only place that does this in my area though is one of the movie theaters and everybody I know with CCW would rather support the other theater or simply carries anyway. The local gun rights group calls it a 'criminal safe zone'

I just woke up.

Need some coffee.

Starbucks, here I come.

Remember, these are the same guys who started a fund to help small business start up, or something like that. Im liking them more all the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The local gun rights group calls it a 'criminal safe zone' </div></div>

Because everybody knows that criminals would bide by the sign and not carry into a theater if told not to... lol...

Most folks that actually like coffee avoid Starbucks for a different reason altogether. In fact it has earned the moniker "StarBurnt".

It isn't good coffee.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most folks that actually like coffee avoid Starbucks for a different reason altogether. In fact it has earned the moniker "StarBurnt".

It isn't good coffee.

Good luck </div></div>

A moniker given maybe by you... Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Go enjoy your cup of Folgers instant...

Given the number of specialty coffee roasters and small chains from Nor Cal North and on I-5 - what do you think the odds are that I drink Folgers?

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given the number of specialty coffee roasters and small chains from Nor Cal North and on I-5 - what do you think the odds are that I drink Folgers?
</div></div>

I was kidding about the Folgers. I'll try to use more sarcasm when responding. Oh by the way... Starbuck's is still better. Just sayin...
wink.gif

Who's gearing up for the counter-boycott tomorrow, and buying some Starbuck's?

It's got to be tomorrow me thinks.

That's when their boycott begins, and by proxy the counter-boycott.

Since the terms of their boycott is to not go into a store, buy a product, or buy a Starbuck's branded product then I think the goal for the counter-boycott is this.

1. Go to a Starbuck's store and buy something, however tiny or small in size or value, if you can.
2. If unable to go to a store, then buy at least one Starbuck's branded product from somewhere. Grocery stores sell bags of Starbuck's coffee, and mugs are a sensible gift idea too.

It is Valentine's Day tomorrow.

I wore a sweat shirt that had this picture on it at the Woodland Park Zoo in downtown Seattle when they were at near capacity. I got alot of smiles. Four people complimented me on it. I have a feeling there are more people here that like guns than not. The problem is the minority of whiners are more vocal than the guys that support gun rights. I have had two people ask me where to buy it.

gunsandcoffee.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe ill wear it to Starbucks tomorrow
rifle.gif
</div></div>
I think there should be a Group Buy for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wore a sweat shirt that had this picture on it at the Woodland Park Zoo in downtown Seattle when they were at near capacity. I got alot of smiles. Four people complimented me on it. I have a feeling there are more people here that like guns than not. The problem is the minority of whiners are more vocal than the guys that support gun rights. I have had two people ask me where to buy it.

gunsandcoffee.jpg
</div></div>

So where do I buy one.

On more reason to buy coffe there.

I guess by those hippie's numbers i am apt to shoot somebody at any time in the near future

Somehow I don't think this applies to the Starbucks in my college. Sad really
frown.gif

( CC & REAL LIFE ) + REALITY = ( NO SEE / NO Foul )
it does Not Matter 'even if' Starbucks had a sign in the front window stating 'No Firearms allowed' . That is only a 'Suggestion' . You can walk & talk & drink coffee anywhere you like .

If you are carrying concealed . Then I don't see how any of this is relative to real life CC . In a retail Coffee house No one knows you are packing because they can not see your Firearm .

Yeah, well, in support of all Ya'll down south there, we DID!!!!

Starbucks002.jpg

One day, we here hope to be as Free as you.

The funny thing about stats, is how you compile them and what you want out of it.

Few years ago my wife was doing a CE, and had this one on suicide, suicide rates in Europe vs USA, among the nations, based on ethnic groups it is essentially the same. The difference between the US and Euros? It was how they did the deed. Gun suicides are used as a tool by the anti gun crowd, as well as gang shootings, to show violence blah blah. The irony in the thing is people in Europe were using drugs to commit suicide.

People are going to do bad things, its why we have Police, outlawing guns isn't going to get rid of violence, its just basic math. Keeping guns/weapons out of the hands of bad guys is the challenge, but no law will ever make a criminal obey the law, after all, they are a freaking criminal.

My wife had a tech years ago, who was wickedly anti gun, annoyed to no end that I owned (at the time only 3 weapons) a firearm. She assumed I was a criminal, that I was up to "no good", that I was just everything bad possible... One day she came in after this conversation to my wife's work, commented how she was so scared about how the Police Helicopter and informed her to stay indoors. The gal then said, "I slept with my handgun that night." My wife questioned, "wait you have a firearm?!" She replied back that she did, when my wife asked why you have one with thinking they are so evil, she just simply said... "I need it to protect myself."

That is the lack of a logic center 95% of these people have, trying to reason with it, is like teaching a German Shepard how to do differential equations.

Support The Second Amendment at Starbucks

1, In the bank getting a 2$ bill
2, Reading while waiting
3, Enjoying a cup of coffee in the Starbucks
smile.gif

story.jpg

I ordered a small coffee today to show my support.

There is still time left to show your support, and it can be done as easily as buying a Frappachino from the local gas station. They're in glass bottles and a Starbuck's branded product, but the important thing is that you show your beliefs through your support.

I OC'd into one of our local Starbucks, paid with $2 bills, and told the barista that, while I don't normally go to Starbucks, today was the exception. I started to explain why, and she broke in with "Hey guys, here's another one!" fairly loudly (to her coworkers). Then she told me she thought it was neat, and her coworkers agreed and said several other people had already done the same thing.

1911fan

I know this got a lot of press on several of the gun boards I am on. I don't go normally, but stopped by one of the local ones. Very busy of course. I hope it backfired in the anti's face.

I always find it interesting that those that want to limit freedoms try to hurt businesses while those that support freedoms try to help businesses.

I'm not a coffee drinker but they (Starbucks) make a kick ass strawberry/banana smoothie. I'll be there.

Good on them for standing up for what is right.