• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bradford Florida 3 Day Sniper Event

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    10/21/2011 - Bradford Sportsman Farm 3 Day Sniper Event

BSF 3 Day Sniper Event. $40 Non-refundable deposit to guarantee your spot. Pay balance of $70 due at sign in. You can come the day of the event and if there is a spot available the cost will be $125. You must be there Friday Night by 7PM for safety meeting and night shoot. Saturday starts at 8:30AM and Sunday starts at 8:30AM. Firearms are limited to 223 to 300 WinMag. 850yd range closed all day. Email Rick Pisano at ruashooter.com for details and any other questions.

Info/itinerary http://www.ruashooter.com/2nd-Annual-3-day-sniper-event.html

Re: Bradford Florida 3 Day Sniper Event

I have a few questions...

1. Can you run a muzzle break?

2. Caliber limitations...is the intent here to limit caliber to military cartridges or will the .260 be sneaking in under the rules?

3. What pistols are allowed?

4. Is "prone supported" referring to service rifle style with no bipod or bags?

5. What are some decent places to stay out there?

I am not the match director but I did have some input on the match set up I beleive I can answer your questions

1. Yes you can use a brake

2. The caliber limitation has more to do with not punching holes in all of the steel. A .260 is fine and I know of at least one that will be using it. Any other 6mm or 6.5 mm variation is fine as well

3. Center fire pistols both semi auto and revolver are allowed. The intent is to use carry pistols. Also, we will be shooting steel at close range so safety is a key consideration. Please dont bring a .44 magnum. 9mm, .45, .38, .40 are all ok. Contact Rick pisano if you have something else not listed.

4. Bipods, rear bags and your back pack are allowed for support unless a particular stage calls for an exception to challenge the shooter

5. The Sleep Inn in Waldo is the best choice for motels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A .260 is fine and I know of at least one that will be using it. </div></div>

.260 in a "sniper" match?

Also...is it a "run only one rifle for the entire 3-day event" type thing?

It is not a sniper match. It is a practical rifle match. I cant control what the organizers call it.

Not sure about the one rifle rule. I will find out. I am fairly sure that the intent is for you to run one rifle but since it is not my match I will ask.

I am just trying to answer the questions I know to make things more clear for everyone in a timely manner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not a sniper match. It is a practical rifle match. I cant control what the organizers call it.

Not sure about the one rifle rule. I will find out. I am fairly sure that the intent is for you to run one rifle but since it is not my match I will ask.

I am just trying to answer the questions I know to make things more clear for everyone in a timely manner.

</div></div>

Interesting. I suppose I can shoot against race guns.

My quesation about the one rifle rule is more of a curiosity. I'm just trying to figure out which one to shoot at this point. Given that all my stiks are military calibers and I can't shoot .338 then I guess my decision is made. However if GAP is running on schedule I'll likely take delivery of my HRT by then which will give me a better chance against the .260's. I want to shoot an auto but .260's have too much of an advantage to make it worth the effort.

That's what I would use. But I get your point.

Did this event fill up last year? Anyone know?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.260 in a "sniper" match? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not a sniper match. It is a practical rifle match. I cant control what the organizers call it.

</div></div>

Interesting. I suppose I can shoot against race guns.

My quesation about the one rifle rule is more of a curiosity. I'm just trying to figure out which one to shoot at this point. Given that all my stiks are military calibers and I can't shoot .338 then I guess my decision is made. However if GAP is running on schedule I'll likely take delivery of my HRT by then which will give me a better chance against the .260's. I want to shoot an auto but .260's have too much of an advantage to make it worth the effort. </div></div>

What makes a 260 a "race gun"? I have seen guys shoot 308s whip guys shooting 260s all day long. Ya ballistically it might be a little better but last I checked it runs the same as a 308 bolt gun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A .260 is fine and I know of at least one that will be using it. </div></div>

.260 in a "sniper" match?

Also...is it a "run only one rifle for the entire 3-day event" type thing?</div></div>

i know one member here on the Hide that got a .260 nato.....

just sayin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What makes a 260 a "race gun"? I have seen guys shoot 308s whip guys shooting 260s all day long. Ya ballistically it might be a little better but last I checked it runs the same as a 308 bolt gun </div></div>

Well my comment was more in the context of...its not a military caliber and it was being billed as a sniper match which implies military calibers. Race gun is not too far off though when talking .260's. I shot my smallest group EVER (at distance) with a .260. It measured 2.75 inches at 800 yards. In fact is was jaxdialation's rig.

OK sure...I should probably factor in my mad skills
    grin.gif

This event did not fill up last year.

Last year, the winner of the 2nd day, long range portion, was shooting a .308. He was really dialed in at 850 nailing 4 and 6 inch targets consistently. The overall 2 day winner shot a 6.5 x 47 Lapua. (No, not all targets were 4 and 6 inch at 850)

Most of the shooting was done inside 600 yards and will be again this year. I dont think caliber was a deciding factor. Those who displayed the best skill placed. A skilled shooter with a factory .308 and factory ammo can win this match. (IMO)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He was really dialed in at 850 nailing 4 and 6 inch targets consistently. </div></div>That's some good shooting. It's hard to even see targets that size at that distance.

Do you know what the altitude is out there?

I just registered.
    The detailed course of fire looks really fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I remember correctly, 141 feet </div></div>
    Thanks. I'm surprised you don't get altitude sickness out there. That's like a mountain in FL

Trovan is correct it is a precision rifle not a sniper event and I appoligise for the previous listing on the ruashooter.com web-site but it has been corrected and is no longer listed as a "Sniper" event. I will speak with the BSF web master and see if they can change the registration in some way that will not affect those who have already pre-registered Also at one of our recent matchs we were shooting at standard size sporting clays at 855 yards. 243, 260 various 6.mil and old dependable 308 win were all making the hits including Trovan with if I remember with a 308. Any rifle caliber from 223 to 300 win mag. And 38, 9mm 40 and 45 acp are acceptable for the handgun portions. As Trovan states the sleep inn located in Waldo is a fairly new motel about 8 miles from the range and there are a few located in Starke which is about 15 miles from the range. There is also hook-ups at the range for RV's or if you want to tuff it primative camping also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How far away is Blanding from the range? </div></div>I'm an hour and 20 minutes away so Blanding might be 45 min to 1 hr depending on how far north on blanding you are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How far away is Blanding from the range? </div></div>

Camp Blanding is about 25 minutes from the range

If you were thinking about shooting in this event, sign up soon. There are about 10 spots left. Dont miss out. This is an event that is a lot of fun.

btt for a friend that will hopefully come to the match!!-- D-PORT!!

Yea, whats up emailed 3 times and no reply's....Is this for real?

Guys,
    I know it can be frustrating but BSF is out in the boonies a bit, and its a small crew putting on a big event considering the size of this area (small population). I'm sure they'll get back to you shortly. Maybe I'll head out there this weekend and see what's up but I can't promise I'll make it...Was thinking of taking this wx off from shooting.

i called this number to get registered up. gave them my 40 bucks over the phone, b/c the website was doing weird stuff and asking for weird info about me n my card... w/e. anyway i can't remember the lady's name, but she was very helpful and quite polite. I'd call in the AM b/c i think she leaves round 12-1ish... i was oconus and didn't pay attn to the time-!! hope this helps.

CONTACT INFO
    voice: (352)485-2302

If you are having problems getting youcr email through, send it to me. I can call around and forward your message to the right person. I may be able to answer some basic questions about the match.

Barbara is the name of the woman who generally answers the phone listed above.

With few matches in the Florida and south Georgia area, i hope this match fills up. It was fun last year.

anyone know if this is full yet?

had a great time this weekend, wanted to thank everyone involved for putting this match on, it was really fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">had a great time this weekend, wanted to thank everyone involved for putting this match on, it was really fun. </div></div>

Ditto that M C. I can't put your face to a name but it was surely the best 3-days in a row I've had in a long while.

A big <span style="font-size: 20pt">"Bravo Zulu"</span> to the folks at BSF. What they put together with very little staff and a few volunteers was pretty amazing.

Two thumbs up to Rick and the gang at BSF.
    Perfect weather, great people and burnt gun powder
    smile.gif
    #

I had this view this morning at the line. My shitty cell phone doesn't do it justice.

139096076.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had this view this morning at the line. My shitty cell phone doesn't do it justice.
    </div></div>

I've grown addicted to that view...it's like shooting from a bunker.

Great weekend of shooting guys. Special thanks to Rick and all the gang that helped in putting on the match.

Pleasure meeting all the shooters.

Good shooting,be safe and hope to see you all again.

Best regards

Mark

I had a great time. I shot like crap on some stages, but shot good on others.

Take away the whole "competition" part of it and Saturday was an OUTSTANDING day at the range.

I have some constructive points I will send to Rick. I have to say that he is a class act and was going out of his way to make everything fair.

Above the great time shooting, there were truly GREAT people there. Everyone helped each other spotting rounds, if we could. The winner of Know Your Limits handed his winnings to an Active Duty Soldier who attended and kicked ass in the match. Truly an awesome act on his part.

I will be back next year.

I’m sure by now everyone is aware of the scoring snafu that took place so I’m posting this in both threads.

There has been some e-mail buzz generated by this and the event staff is genuinely affected by this. Honestly I can’t blame them and I would not want to be in their shoes. There seems to be a lot of concern for me and to honest, this doesn’t come close to making my top 100 list of bad moments in my life.

I really don’t know what mistakes were made or how they affected the outcome but apparently the notion of not holding future matches at BSF is on the table as a result, and I hope no one makes that mistake. There is nothing even close to Jax that compares and I feel it would be an immeasurable loss to shooters all over the southeast.

BSF didn’t charge much for this match so clearly they’re not in it for the money and there’s a lot to be said for doing something “for the love of the game” and truth be told that’s the only reason I do this. I don’t need trophies, prizes, or fame. Just give me some ammo and something to shoot at and you’ll likely find me lying in a puddle of sweat on a hot August day covered with sand and fire ants. And if you look closely, you’ll likely see me smiling.

For these reasons I’ve decided to forfeit my score and take a zero for the match. This may sound to be an odd choice but someone in that match came in last place and it was likely a newer shooter that represents the future of this sport, and that’s really who matters most here. I personally feel that focusing on making sure that the top dogs gain their rightful spot is the wrong approach.

So with that, last place is officially mine. Just be forewarned ladies…this time I’ve got a whole year to train verses 4 months so I’d suggest you all spend a little less time waxing your man-ginas and spend a little more time practicing.
    grin.gif

This was my first sniper match and it was a blast to say the least. I didn't really look at it as a competition but as a training event, and that it was. It was also a HUGE eye opener for me.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the score but I hope cooler heads prevail and this event or future others are not affected in the future.
    Jack and I drove 6 hours to have the opportunity to shoot in a different venue and to shoot in ways that are just not possible down here in South Florida.

Personally I shot like shit and I knew it. I also don't need a list to know it. I really hope the people that are unhappy wouldn't let a score and any possible mistakes in that score jepordize any future events.

If any issues came up during the event or after, I would think one could just send Rick a note addressing those issues and I think the staff would be very receptive to one's observations and suggestions.

I know exactly what BX is saying as I feel the same way about shooting. I could be up to my chin in steamy hot crap and as long as I'm shooting something I'm happier than a pig rolling around in his own crap.

So whatever the case maybe, just let it be a lesson learned and lets keep up the shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So whatever the case maybe, just let it be a lesson learned and lets keep up the shooting. </div></div>

Exactly Rick. This is a non-issue for me. I'm doing what I'm doing because I simply don't feel right about placing above anyone else at this point. There are <span style="text-decoration: underline">absolutely</span> no hard feelings here. You're not judged by the mistakes you make...you're judged solely by how you handle them.

Thanks for making the drive BTW...It was great shooting with you guys.

Wow. After reading this thread and receiving an email about the match scores, I can only hope that Rick and his crew dont take this too seriously. I have not read anything here and I have not spoken to anyone who is upset. The fact that there is talk about not doing another match is crazy.

What I saw was a buch of guys having fun and improving their skills. The thing I like most about shooting matches at Bradford is just that. I have never seen anyone there who wasn't there for the right reasons and to help each other get better. I personally give it my best and try to improve each time but in the end, I couldn't care less about a plague or ribbon. The matches at Bradford are a lot of fun and a great place to practice and train.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Great bunch of guys. I only hope that we have more people participate next year. For those who can make it, please come to as many matches as you can. Rick puts on several matches a year in several formats.

I hope to see everyone again soon. For those who were not there and are reading this and wondering what happened, dont give it another thought except to sign up for the next one. This match was great fun. Mnay different skills were tested. From this type mof match, you expose your own weeknesses to yourself and you know what you need to work on. That plus the comaraderie makes it great.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never seen anyone there who wasn't there for the right reasons... The matches at Bradford are a lot of fun and a great place to practice and train.</div></div>

This says it all. I personally feel that BSF is <span style="text-decoration: underline">THE</span> best range in the area. Its one of the few places to go where there isn't someone breathing down your neck when you're trying to shoot, just waiting for you to break one of the rules. I actually accomplish my training goals when I make that drive and I simply can't say that about the others. We need to move on and plan for the next one.

Hey guys, ditto to what has been said so far. We all had a great time this weekend with plenty of good old lead throwing. I do not think anyone is really upset about the scoring glitch.

You guys are a class act in the way you have brought this to light. Congrats to you all.

BA nice shooting with you this weekend. Rick & Jack thanks for making the trip and a pleasure talking with you.

MC enjoyed the conversation with you-- great to have a face to go with the name.

Hope to see all of you again at future matches.

Regards

Mark

Wish I could have been there, But had a hunting trip that had been planned months in advance. Hope to make it next time. Glad to hear all the good feedback.