• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Breaking the Jewell trigger

Lance B

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2008
NJ
Morning ya'll, for the second time I have broken the spring(s) in my jewell trigger in my 243 Surgeon Scapel. My load is 42.5 H4350, Br2 primers, lapua brass and OAL of 2.840. Velocity is 3000fps. I get no pressure signs until the primer is pierced and the resulting spring damage. This has occurred over the course of firing 600 rounds in total. Any help would be appreciated.

Lance

Re: Breaking the Jewell trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4Rail_Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you post a pic of a pierced and unpierced primer? </div></div>

I have to agree with the above post. You really need to post a couple of photos if you can. If there is something wrong with the trigger, Arnold Jewel will fix / replace it. Abuse on your end isn't his fault though.

Personally I have owned several Jewel triggers. I have never had any problems.

Maybe you need to either lower your charge a bit, of have the firing pin hole bushed to a smaller OD firing pin. Or maybe both.

I've broken my Jewell twice. Once the sear broke in half (in a match, of course) and after it was repaired, about 100 rounds later a spring failed. Jewell says the sear broke due to high-pressure loads, but I have yet to find someone who can explain how this is so.
Currently running a Remington trigger in one match rifle and a Timney in another; the Jewell is in a varmint rifle.
I really like it, and also am very happy with the two-stage Jewell in an AR15. I'm just a little leary right now.

1911fan

First I would check firing pin protrusion, CCI have a harder cup than Fed primers, then I would get another trigger, I doubt the pin hole needs bushed, it's a Surgeon.

How would a hot load, or even a pierced primer, snap a spring on/in a trigger pack?

Thanks, Chris

PS: I have a new Jewell, but it's sitting because I was able to tune my older Sendero 7 RM's trigger to an acceptable level. I load this rifle sometimes hot, so it would be nice to know in advance, should I eventually put in the Jewell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How would a hot load, or even a pierced primer, snap a spring on/in a trigger pack?

Thanks, Chris

</div></div>

When the primer pops on a bolt action like a Remington to save the eyes of the shooter the hot gases are funneled through the bolt and down into the trigger assembly. Thus the need to clean the trigger every now and then. Some of the trigger springs are made super light.