• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bringing manufacturing back to the USA

DaveM

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Haverhill, MA
Has anyone else considered the possibility that the moment any US companies start pulling out of China the CCP will just nationalize them?
The Chinese have already stolen or illegally bought so much US intellectual property that all they need now is to steal the manufacturing facilities.
Not only would we have to re-start every stolen factory from scratch in the US, we would also have to compete with the cheap Chinese product already being produced.

How do we respond?

Do we nationalize all the Chinese holdings in the US and auction to the highest US bidder? I do not advocate in any way for the US govt to own or operate any confiscated property or business.

If you think companies will pull out of china, well....no.

The Govt may provide incentives or mandate SOME things be pulled back to the US that are deemed critical to national security.

The access to chinas cheap manufacturing and promise of access to the HUGE market is too compelling for 99.99% of companies to resist.

I would love to see American Industry pull out of China. I would love to see much greater restrictions on imports from China. But we need to do this slowly enough to get factories and the work force here in the US prepared. Its a screwed up deal where we are paying our work force to stay home and breed and making our enemies rich. And yes, China is not our friend.

I will even go as far to include Mexico into my statement.

The consumer and the President will decide this, not the Corporations.

Made in China is very likely to become the Scarlett letter. If the President says China trade is bad the consumer will likely follow.

We will still trade with them but it will become less and less. People will see US jobs are greater than cheap TV’s.

The world should demand reparations from China for the trillions of dollars in damage their criminal negligence has caused the world's economies. There are already lawsuits lined up against the Chicoms under federal law; I hope they are all successful.

As for pulling out of China, greedy corporations like Walmart, Nike, Apple, etc. will never do it voluntarily. Doesn't matter how many people are killed by China's negligence. It will take government incentives plus consumers deciding they don't want Chinese garbage anymore.

The world should demand reparations from China for the trillions of dollars in damage their criminal negligence has caused the world's economies. There are already lawsuits lined up against the Chicoms under federal law; I hope they are all successful.

As for pulling out of China, greedy corporations like Walmart, Nike, Apple, etc. will never do it voluntarily. Doesn't matter how many people are killed by China's negligence. It will take government incentives plus consumers deciding they don't want Chinese garbage anymore.

The US consumers will not come off the china tit willingly. It is the only thing I am very confident with at this time.

And corporations...nope.

Trump said we needed to do that long before this latest virus fiasco.
This horse left the barn a long time ago.
Ya let's buy 90% of our medical drugs from China .
Thats a great Idea.
Truth is I don't think the USA could support all the manufacturing that's moved to China.
I sell cutting tools for Manufacturing. Its hard to find Tooling made in the USA.
I'd say 80% of the tooling we sell is made in Japan,Germany, Switzerland, Italy , Sweden, China.
It's not by choice, Its the only place to get the stuff.
We sell Kennametal a US company, I'll bet 80% of there products aren't made in the USA.
Hell customers in USA that are in manufacturing now can't get qualified people to run machines.
Send everyone to college. Don't learn a skilled trade, be a IT guy, thats cool, sit at home and play video games.

Reactions: tomcatmv
Dreamers...the USA cannot compete with countries that don’t pay the welfare and benefits we do. SSAN, unemployment, health care, etc. The best we can hope for is some other countries get the business. I’m not wild about most of them either. I see Vietnam and Indonesia on lots of clothing for example. My son worked in Mexico manufacturing for a while and they struggle to compete as well. Per him they actually treat industrial workers pretty well there. The US populous is too use to cheap stuff. All we are doing is enabling a no work society by printing money we don’t have so many will be even more sure the government will take care of them! Give it 2 months from return to “normal” and back to business as normal for our idiots!!
No I don’t like this view but I am afraid I am correct...

People are addicted to cheap communist garbage.

People who profit off these addicted people, worship the almighty dollar over everything else.

This will pass and things will go back to normal. People will buy cheap Chinese crap and Americans businessmen will continue to worship the almighty dollar and continue having crap manufactured overseas.
This x100000... Greed is an addiction

You can always buy stuff made in USA. The problem with this is that not everyone is willing to pay more for a product X in order to support local economy. People are trying to save money. Why people choose uber instead of a licensed tax driver?

People are addicted to cheap communist garbage.

People who profit off these addicted people, worship the almighty dollar over everything else.

This will pass and things will go back to normal. People will buy cheap Chinese crap and Americans businessmen will continue to worship the almighty dollar and continue having crap manufactured overseas.

You really want Americans to stop buying cheap communist crap and the businessman to stop having crap built over there? Tax the hell out of the imports to the tune of 5000% and tax on things purchased here 10%.

Or let’s go to war with these people and light this candle already.

And to all that say we can’t manufacture our own things.... how unpatriotic of you.

Well, we cant...as it stands today anyways. Its just not a switch that can be toggled into the on position.

My consulting company is currently working on an offering to bring Supply Chains back to the USA. For anyone who has worked with Chinese Supply Chains, order planning is hard. You have to order weeks in advance...a container at a time... Customs and now tariffs... then unload and truck to your DC. If you have one or two expedited shipments via air per year your savings are basically gone. If you have a quality issue with that container load... good luck with that. Everyone sees the risks after this pandemic. If you truly look at end to end costs, US based companies can be competitive in certain industries... It doesn't automatically mean higher prices for consumers. American companies who want to take on the challenge can beat the CCP via ingenuity and very efficient flexible planning.

My consulting company is currently working on an offering to bring Supply Chains back to the USA. For anyone who has worked with Chinese Supply Chains, order planning is hard. You have to order weeks in advance...a container at a time... Customs and now tariffs... then unload and truck to your DC. If you have one or two expedited shipments via air per year your savings are basically gone. If you have a quality issue with that container load... good luck with that. Everyone sees the risks after this pandemic. If you truly look at end to end costs, US based companies can be competitive in certain industries... It doesn't automatically mean higher prices for consumers. American companies who want to take on the challenge can beat the CCP via ingenuity and very efficient flexible planning.

I have had it with the insidious Chinese cancer. If I have to pay more I will gladly do it. If I have to pay 2 bucks for an apple fine. I'm already getting ass raped in taxes. I would rather pay it for someones wages than pay taxes for some welfare recipient or illegal alien and I would rather pay more for American goods than Chinese garbage .

Reactions: DaveM
Agree. That "global supply chain" crap for a few, short lived quarterly profits and bonuses will be extremely hard to sell in the years to come. And China would not steal our patents if they had better solutions to various problems.

We are blessed with the gift of land ranging from the arctic to the tropics. We can grow any food we need or want. We have all the oil and resources for our industries right under our soil. We have the best, brightest, and toughest people on this planet even with all the traitors and moochers among us. We know how to build tall, fast, and well. Let's get it done.

• Love
Reactions: tomcatmv
Trump said we needed to do that long before this latest virus fiasco.
This horse left the barn a long time ago.
Ya let's buy 90% of our medical drugs from China .
Thats a great Idea.
Truth is I don't think the USA could support all the manufacturing that's moved to China.
I sell cutting tools for Manufacturing. Its hard to find Tooling made in the USA.
I'd say 80% of the tooling we sell is made in Japan,Germany, Switzerland, Italy , Sweden, China.
It's not by choice, Its the only place to get the stuff.
We sell Kennametal a US company, I'll bet 80% of there products aren't made in the USA.
Hell customers in USA that are in manufacturing now can't get qualified people to run machines.
Send everyone to college. Don't learn a skilled trade, be a IT guy, thats cool, sit at home and play video games.
Ceramic and carbide cutting tools/inserts are basically a commodity material for manufacturing in today's world. Most of this stuff was invented here and we could easily produce our own needs if we wanted. Not the next day but in a year or two. I would start on the other end of manufacturing and focus on finishing, assembly, and integration. And there a lot has popped up here in the USA recently. But there are some strategic supplies we have to bring back on our own turf even if the margins are not that great.

Last edited:
Cemented carbide is a composite material consisting of tungsten carbide (WC) as the hard phase and cobalt (Co) as the binder phase. Cemented carbide was developed by Osram Lamp Works in 1923 and placed on the market by Krupp AG in Germany in 1927 as a cutting tool under the tradename of “WIDIA.

I don’t think that publicly owned companies will/can look past the immediate savings to see long term value. I also think (truth warning) when globalists; who have, piece by piece, disassembled United States sovereignty and infrastructure, are sitting on the boards of these corporations, by the hundreds at a time, you will not see it. The truth is much of the outsourcing of our production never made financial sense. An engineer friend of mine investigated the closing of the copper mine in Butte America almost 50 years ago, moving the mining operations to South America made no financial sense. He eventually traced the decision to David Rockefeller’s desk, seems that Mr. Rockefeller didn’t want us to be able to make our own bullet jackets. Interdependence has been forced upon America by Rockefeller and his ilk. Until their motives are exposed nothing will change, because a strong and independent America stands in the way of progress. This isn’t “theory” it is documented and verifiable.

The quote below is from a man who once sat on the board of over 500 American Corporations and you wonder why the production left? @alpine44 you are right, but you don’t understand the battlefield.

“We are grateful to the Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine, and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years.

It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subjected to the lights of publicity during those years.

But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government.

The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries.”
David Rockefeller – 1991

There are public board level decisions being communicated right now to repatriate portions of their supply chain.

Just because there are some globalists on some boards does not mean that all boards are full of globalists.

Reactions: whiskeytower
There are public board level decisions being communicated right now to repatriate portions of their supply chain.

Just because there are some globalists on some boards does not mean that all boards are full of globalists.
That’s true. But are there enough independent companies to move the market? And I assure you, there are no non-globalist bankers. At some point if that movement establishes too much traction, loans will be called due.

This crisis will be a huge wind in the sails of Trump's MAGA/KAG philosophy. Even the leftist's rags have now op-eds wondering whether the Orange Man was right all along.

If there ever was a chance to get back to sanity, this is it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how much to would add to the actual manufacturing cost>
Component level manufacturing with automation is where my US clients beat China hands down. I think it's a false assumption to think it will automatically add cost. Think inventory turns, quality, forecasting flexibility, excessive transportation, and now end Customer sentiment influencing purchasing decisions. Add it all up and many companies will be making this decision because they will be freed up to do good (short and long term) not just look good(short term only).

We're not the only ones done with the China Experiment. I wouldn't be surprised to see the US Stimulus #2 or #3 have a similar fund attached to it.

Reactions: whiskeytower
This is why I like the revenue neutral carbon tax. Everyone gets a check back and if they used less carbon than the average they would get a check that was larger than the taxes they paid. The end result would be foreign (Asian) manufactured goods would be too expensive to import, given their carbon intensity and the huge costs of shipping. It’s like protectionism except the media and the left can’t whine about a trade war they have to brag about it.

If Elon Musk can build rockets and cutting edge cars from the start-up level here in the USA, that should tell you something about our capabilities. If you don't like electric cars, get over it. SpaceX saved the taxpayer billions of dollars that were previously boondoggled by the Launch Allicance who bought the engines from Russia because they claimed we would be incapable to build them ourselves. Mueller, Musk's chief rocket man, was so bored at TRW that he build the early ancestors of their current rocket engines in his garage. We do not need to worry about what American engineers and workers can do but we have to recon with the corporate greed bags and their cronies in politics.

Last edited:
You can always buy stuff made in USA.

I would argue that is not true in all cases. I go out of my way to shop "made in USA", then "assembled in USA", then "made in Canada" then I look for Europe, then Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and on down the list... With all that said, I can guarantee there are a lot of products that you simply can not get, if not made in China.

Reactions: dzander

We're not the only ones done with the China Experiment. I wouldn't be surprised to see the US Stimulus #2 or #3 have a similar fund attached to it.
Totally predictable and just the beginning of a huge problem for China.

If someone still thinks that China released this virus on purpose to gain world supremacy, it looks more like someone took a shot with a recoilless rifle, missed, and set their ass on fire with the backblast.

• Haha
Reactions: DaveM and disla82
I think that the only way is for us to only buy items made in USA aside from that large companies will still manufacture in china. If this whole thing has proven something its that we are too dependent on other countries.

I tried to load a graphic but am getting errors. The graphic from Deloitte simply shows that in 2018-19 we reduced imports from China by 18% but imports from Mexico increased by 6% and imports from ASEAN (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, etc.) increased by 18%. So while progress is being made on imports from China we are not making the overall progress we could be making.
The solution comes down to the consumer being willing to pay more for American goods - most are too cheap / greedy to let go of cheap stuff. Everybody wants a "deal" with zero fucks given about US manufacturing jobs. I spent most of my career running or advising manufacturing companies and I still manufacture here. I've also worked all over the world and no place I've been has people as driven to consume more "stuff" than here. The cheap imports allow Americans to accumulate more "stuff" whcih is very satisfying to many in our culture. Unfortunately the attempts to reduce china imports have simply redirected US companies to other foreign countries. Its not uncommon for products or componentsfrom china to be shipped to another country then imported to the US with the appearance that it is not from China. In one of my "C" gigs a couple of our companies were very careful to ensure we could utilize maquiladores just over the border without having to label products as made in Mexico. We've replaced skilled manufacturing jobs with unskilled, low wage jobs in distribution.

18-19 Trade.jpg

Just saw problem was fixed - here's the graphic mentioned above.

With the tariffs added to big ticket items from China - we were able to ramp up and begin production of the stuff we previously imported, and do it here - and still compete. Granted, at only 15 people our company is a tiny fly spec vs the amount of stuff produced in China. But it also means all our materials are American made also. The economic impact goes well beyond the 10 additional guys we added for manufacturing.

Hi,

There is only ONE thing that can essentially "bring" manufacturing back to the USA.....
It starts with a W and ends with a number.
Any other solution will not work for various reasons.

And in regards to Musk/Tesla...let us not act like he built that company from the ground up without taking foreign money..billions of it came and continue to come from the UAE.

Sincerely,
Theis

think that the only way is for us to only buy items made in USA aside from that large companies will still manufacture in china. If this whole thing has proven something its that we are too dependent on other countries.

Gee, trump knew and said that 3.5 years ago.

But he's the Worst guy in the world according to the Media and the Democrats.
He knows and see's what's up in government , why do you think he is so hated by most politicians even in his own party?
He's upsetting the applecart and they don't like it.

Reactions: disla82
Gee, trump knew and said that 3.5 years ago.

But he's the Worst guy in the world according to the Media and the Democrats.
He knows and see's what's up in government , why do you think he is so hated by most politicians even in his own party?
He's upsetting the applecart and they don't like it.

Hi,

And yet how much stuff does Trump Inc manufacturer overseas, lolol???

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Ravenworks

This guy knows what's up

I don’t think we need to stop any and all imports and rely exclusively on US made products. In some ways, certain countries are just plain better at making certain things. I do believe we should be careful to deal only with countries that aren’t hostile to America or actively stealing from us.

We should, of course, keep some manufacturing capabilities that are essential for national security and safety. Essential PPE and pharmaceuticals are only a few examples. I would even be open to government subsidies for making sure at least some of that manufacturing ability remains within our borders.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
I'd venture to say that one of the biggest 'differences' that works out to 'cheaper costs' is the lack of EPA rules/regulations/laws/dictates everywhere else but N.A.

A simple/stupid example is cast-iron cookware. One of the cheapest methods of manufacturing, with one of the simplest process's. Add ceramics to the mix (highly fashionable and HUGELY expensive pricetags) and all the sudden it's only done in china where they don't give a shit about emissions. And yet people gobble the stuff up, and show off the fancy colors to their "Jones's" neighbors. The dishes don't taste any different out of a 'colored' pan, and yet.....

Take that one premise, and look at practically ANYTHING else that is manufactured. Look at intellectual properties, and see how that's 'farmed'....

So what is it that you want to change about North America? How do you want to start, and where is the finish line?

Reactions: Zeroit
Respectfully, I disagree.

Hi,

I would absolutely love to be proven wrong on it for sure!!!

No disrespect taken but after years of dealing with International Joint Ventures coordinated with DDTC and foreign governments for the International manufacturing of Military/Defense equipment I just do not see manufacturing on a medium to large scale coming back to USA.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Ravenworks
Hi,

There is only ONE thing that can essentially "bring" manufacturing back to the USA.....

And in regards to Musk/Tesla...let us not act like he built that company from the ground up without taking foreign money..billions of it came and continue to come from the UAE.

Sincerely,
Theis
Let's say after years of innovation and smart management you take your rifle company public, via an IPO. Would you refuse foreign investments and would that diminish your and your US employee's accomplishment of getting the company to the point of attracting investors. If I remember correctly, you have some interactions with Finnland but that does not change the fact that you are getting the thing off the ground here and not in China.

The main question was whether we can build/manufacture the stuff we need ourselves. And my answer to that is yes. Some globalist board members may have to be duct-taped and timed-out in the broom closet but if that's necessary, so be it. I hope that Trump will move in his 2nd term to: You either buy and build here and meet domestic demand first or you get hammered with tariffs. I bet that after the exchange with the 3M dweeb over N95 masks, he is itching to do this.

Last edited:
Usa manufacturing is strangled by the epa, where as third world countries and places like china are not. That doesn’t mean i think we should pollute like china to compete, but there has to be a work around for the little guy.

It has been in progress even prior to C-19 outbreak. We build manufacturing and warehousing facilities for companies manufacturing along the US Mexican Border. Over the past year we have met with several companies that are relocating manufacturing and warehousing to this area. It was a mix of both US and Taiwanese companies and this activity is driving vacancy rates down and generating construction activity. I have been constructing/developing industrial facilities in both the US and Mexico for over 30 years and remember the exodus from Mexico to China starting in the late nineties. The folks that operated the plants did not like to move the China but were forced by economics. Their biggest concerns were illegal transfer of intellectual property, logistics and corruption. Many have moved back for those very reasons especially for proprietary systems. You simply cannot trust the ChiComm's and they will rob you blind.

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis
Just thought about another example in your area of expertise.

Schweizer Industriegesellschaft bought German J.P. Sauer to get around export laws in Switzerland. Sig Sauer Inc. in New Hampshire was founded to get around import/export laws again. Now, they are driving the train with guns, silencers, and electro-optics here in the good 'ol USA. Do not tell me that we do not have the brains and hands here to get shit done.

Why are we buying combat rifles from H&K? Because we do not have dozens of companies that could make a decent piston upper? I am a born Kraut and think that H&K makes some pretty cool hardware. But it is not rocket science and even if it were, we are pretty good at that one here. I do not expect an Ariane to land on its launchpad anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
Hi,

Never did I say the USA does not have the brains or hands....I have purchased 2 International companies and relocated both to the USA for a reason.

I said I do not see medium to large manufacturing coming back to USA. Small ones such as myself are easy.

Here is example of why large manufacturers are not coming back to USA anytime soon IMO..
Blue Jean River........now just imagine Levis, Wrangler, Buckle, True Religion, etc etc facilities doing that in Tennessee.....
1586460166964.png

Sincerely,
Theis