• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Broken ankle squat delay question

BigAndy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
MI, USA
So I broke my fibula playing hockey last December and just played my first game back; it sucked. Anyway, I was squatting and deadlifting weekly before the injury, but haven't been able to for months. I figured you guys would be my only resource for advice about knuckleheads trying to squat with a plate and screws still installed. How long did anyone with a similar injury wait to lift and run? Thanks in advance, -JA

I broke my fibula last July playing basketball. It broke really low by my ankle. I couldn't run until recently so...7 months. I could put full pressure on it after 4 months but for some reason the extra bouncing around from running was a killer. Uneven ground that bends my ankle certain ways still about brings me down. I'm 31 so I still heal fairly quickly. Hope this helps

Not a MD or a PT, but ankle flexibility is obviously very important for squatting and deadlifting. Did you do a rehab protocol post op? An injury such as yours will take a great deal of dedicated rehab. Also depends on your training experience and age prior to the injury.

Look up Mark Rippetoe or Louie Simmons for the proper techniques and flexibility requirements.

Squat Technique - Weight Lifting Complete

Mark Rippetoe on the deep squat

I appreciate the input. The break was low on the fibula, but the incision is now healed. With the long screws removed I can walk fine, but running seems to be a similar experience to Opelboy's. Walking seems to be the only rehab that I will most likely get.

I have an ankle screwed back together, but no plate. Still in there, been since... I dunno, 1990? Think Gulf War timeline. 5 screws, makes for funny x-ray when you go in after dismounting a street bike @ 50mph and forget to tell the tech. As I recall it seemed to take forever(think 2-3months?) to get to the point that I could run again, much, much longer to run normally. I was passing PFT's before I felt like it was close to normal.
6-8 weeks for bones to heal properly, I don't know if it's more w/a plate, but that's when I started walking w/out crutches. It freaking hurt, but I worked as much as I could, then went to crutches to get through the rest of the day.
As for squatting, in that joint most of the pressure is on the front, and you don't say where the break and hardware is installed, so... Also be careful of the pressure upon the achilles attachment; if you haven't stretched/used it, it will come apart. Not pretty.
Deadlifting should not be a problem other than the pressure you are placing upon a joint that is the weakest part of the movement, so I would not go heavy for a long, long time. If you deadlift, you're likely to be unable to refrain from pushing the limits, so it's likely the wisest thing to stay light w/squats and avoid DL for another 3 months or so.
Most importantly, you said the long screws were just removed? If you have screw holes healing, you need to treat them JUST LIKE A BROKEN BONE! They need to fuse, and any pressure on the fibula can and will cause you to hear that "pop" once again, and start over, but this time have to hear all the med's say "I told you not to.." and "What were you thinking?" Just be careful. Everything worked for me, I play rugby, live like it never happened, but I had the luxury of taking it slowly.
Combat boots rub on one screw-head, so I don't wear them, and while hitting baseballs I wear a guard. PM me if you have more questions, glad to explain more.
I am a rugby player, not a doctor, so take my advice at your own peril!

If it were me I would start out with body weight squats (no bar, just put your hands behind your head or across your chest). I know this sounds cheesy, but 5 sets of 100 is not as simple as it sounds. It took me some time to work up to that level and prior to the injury my squat was in the 550-600lb range. I had to go this route after a back injury in college my senior year. It worked for me and allowed me to train around the injury.

Make sure your run whatever plan you choose by your surgeon and PT first to make sure you are clear for takeoff.

I never did do any physical therapy but PTed myself back to nearly-running shape. I got a few runs in and decided to start playing hockey again. Anyway, I got a blister over the second op site. After getting redder over the next week my ankle started a Fantasia-colored discharge explosion. After 2 courses of antibiotics and countless dressing changes I am finally able to "jog" 4-5 miles. With the infection and most of the pain gone, I can truly say that, even with a 25 pound weight gain, I should have waited 2-3 weeks over what I thought was necessary. The squats are about 200 pounders x 7-8, and the dead lifts are about 225 x 8-10. No excessive pain with the weights, but I am quite embarrassed by the runtime.