• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget 1000 Yard Caliber

If you lack experience and money, 308 is a good caliber to learn on. The components and accessories are numerous and widely available and the platform can take a lot of shooting without torching a barrel as you learn.

After you get a bit more time and experience under your belt, you will already have a short action and accessories that can be converted to any of the short action calibers more commonly used in competition like 260, 6.5CM, 6mm, etc.

6.5-284 or an improved 6BR check out the IBS websites for 1000 yard match results and see what most are shooting and winning with.

.308 is great for 1k cheap shooting, though a 7-08 or .260rem would be just as cheap, but better ballistics. If you gotta have more, step up to the 7/300 saum/wsm area and you will do fine, but itll cost more.

What would be a good caliber to start out 1000 yard competition?

Go with the 6.5x47Lapua and have Jon Beanland, Gould, Oklahoma! If you do...you'll want to come back and pay me for telling you this!! Have him throat it for 130 gr. Bergers or the 123 gr. Sierra HPBT! Both shoot FANTASTIC using 38.5 grs. Varget and BR4 primers.

What would be a good caliber to start out 1000 yard competition?

Go with the 6.5x47Lapua and have Jon Beanland, Gould, Oklahoma build it! If you do...you'll want to come back and pay me for telling you this!! Have him throat it for 130 gr. Bergers or the 123 gr. Sierra HPBT! Both shoot FANTASTIC using 38.5 grs. Varget and BR4 primers.

when you say competition I know around here f t/r is one of the most common competitions so that limits you to .223 or .308. when I think "budget" I think .223 with a 1:8 twist tube throated for 75-80gr a-max's over some 8208xbr. also budget minded would be a savage build. this would be a very minimum 1000yd cartridge.

Don't discount the .243 - you can pick up a R700 varmint and start from there. Even my 1:10 Tikka T3 is a capable 1000 yard rifle with 90gr scenars.

Long range is definitely not budget. That said, I would have a good smith build you a 6.5 cm.

I see alot more 30-06's lately. I'd say not only is that about as budget friendly and forgiving as a 308 but a pretty competitive cartridge at the 1K line. That and off the shelf ammo is widely available.

I was thinking the same thing. Four pages of Q&A that ended about a week ago and back with the same question.

First, answer some questions (leaving out experience since you covered it in the other post):

1. How much do you have to spend total for rifle setup and optics?
2. How much do you want to spend on ammo (do you reload, can you reload, rather buy match factory ammo)?
3. Are you shooting recreationally or plan to compete. If you want to compete, be specific in which class, etc. If you dont know rules and regulations, there are plenty of places online where that info is available. Do some of your own research, read, read, read. There are many classes and competitions, you know where you live and what is around you to shoot at, so find out where you want to shoot and what class/comp you plan on shooting in. Be as specific as possible. I can say, "I want a red car," but does that tell you much? Bring us a definitive answer. "I want to shoot F-T/R class, what do I need?"

All that said, from what you mentioned in the earlier thread, there was a lot of good info and suggestions and you seemed to discount the majority of them. I would suggest either of the following:
Remington 700 pss in 308 (USED). decent stock, trigger can be worked by most smiths, plenty of upgrade capability and aftermarket options. 308 match ammo is normally easy to find (not at the moment unfortunately).
Savage 6.5 creedmoor LRP, or may be able to find a used FTR in 308, or a used custom (try savageshooters.com), or just build one on a stevens action. The 6.5cm has good factory match ammo (hornady), and a lot of savage guys shoot these to 1k with a factory setup.

Search for used setups, good deals pop up but are usually gone quick so you have to look more than one day a week. Ditto for optics. You get a lot more for your money with used optics. If you think you can get away with a $200 optic, you should probably not even worry about building a 1k setup and just shoot service rifle until you save/get enough money to support the hobby. You are out of luck if you want immediate satisfaction and dont have the funds to support that lifestyle. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I followed the other thread without saying anything, and then see the same question asked again (along with the cheap scope thread). The guys on here know what they are talking about, so don't ask their advice and opinion and then discount it since it's not what you want to hear.

There is a significant difference between having a caliber that will reach 1000yds supersonic vs something that will give you an advantage with wind drift.

For comp at 1000 yds, I would say pick any of the 7mm mags with a high BC bullet like Berger VLDs.

Last edited:
308 is the best. It is cheap to shoot, light recoil, and you can find the ammo everywhere except this year cuz Obama Don't Care.

Hard to beat a 6.5 creedmor. Plus the manufactured ammo shoots as good as my hand loads. Get a bell and Carson stock with a bartlein blank and find a .308 action and a good gun smith and your set.

I am assuming you reload and depending on the rules of the game you wish to play... I’d look at a Remington Varmint 243, replace the stock and trigger, put a good scope on it (SWFA SS, Vortex PST or Bushnell HDMR) and run Berger 105 vld’s with H1000... That will be good for about 2900-3000FPS without pushing it and 1500-2000 rounds later decide if you like the caliber well enough to stick with it or rebarrel in one of the 6.5’s or other 6mm’s.

link to one I turned into a decent 1k gun
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...56-update-243-remington-sps-varmint-105s.html

For a factory offering, i'd say a Rem 700 VLS in 243win. Bed it, and rock some hornady 105 bthps with H4350 underneath. Swap the trigger out for a Timney or a Jewel. Then put a Leupold 8.5 x 25x 50 on top and go for it. Thats what my rifle started as, wouldn't mind getting another, maybe in a 223 for fun.

Listen to James Phillips above he has done it all and his choices are spot on.Only choose 308 if your forced by rules to use it.
Savage sells a few rifles specifically for this purpose and they shoot very well.

go with a 6.5 or 7mm. pick a caliber you can buy good brass for. Lapua, Norma RWS.....

When I asked this, lotta people said 6.5CM.

Thus far, I've only been to 250 yards, but the gun is a true no BS sub 0.50MoA gun, often getting 0.375 MoA.

That said, I've got about $3,500 into the gun, not including gear (which would add another $2,000 at least, including reloading equip, which is a must for any 1,000 yard gun)

So, yeah..... "budget" and "1000 yard" don't go together.

It would be very helpful to define the type of competition, banging a piece of steel, is far different than punching measured holes in a piece of paper-that does not lie, nor care. When one uses the word, "Competition", it is assumed you would be competing, with the hopes of actually winning. In this case I'd look at the rounds being fired by those winning in the yet defined competition as they best place to start.

I started with a .308 Win and couldn't be happier with my choice. It's a great all around bullet that will do everything you want it to do (within reason). And it's cheap and easy to reload.