• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Budget Scope Decision

MacBSG

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2013
Ohio
As the title says, I'm trying to find a budget scope that I plan on shooting long range target with, 750-1000 yards. I will be mounting onto a 20 MOA base. I am currently looking at the Sightmark Triple Duty 4-16x44 and the Mueller APT 4.5-14x40. What are your guys' thoughts and do you have any other suggestions?

Sorry for not stating that in the original post, but $250.

What is your budget? Those are low budget choices for sure. You could get a much better scope like a fixed magnification SWFA for just a bit more. If you are planning on trying to hit a small x at 1000yds you will have to spend more. If you want to hit a torso at 1000yds you can get by with a 10x or 12x from SWFA for about $300. You can normally find them used for about $250.

I would prefer a variable zoom, and I'm just going to be shoot at a torso sized target.

Bushnell 10x40. I paid $130 for the last one I bought used. It is a cheaper scope, but has been shown to track well and it's durable. It can also be had in mil/mil. I'm not sure you are going to find a decent variable for that price.

You have very grandiose plans for a cheap scope
The Mueller is a very good scope in it's price range, but it is mixed (mil/moa).
The TAC 2 from Mueller is a VERY good scope, but also mixed.
It is not just about glass, it is about tracking and reliability.
Bushnell 10x mil/mil is your best bet in your price range.
Save another 50 bucks, buy a SWFA SS 12X scope.

You'll most likely ignore the advice to save more money and buy a better scope.
Of the two you listed, buy the Mueller. They make a very good product with glass that shames more expensive scopes and they have a very good warranty and are a pleasure to deal with.

May decide to save the extra hundred or so and move the budget to $400. What would my best options be?

I think you are still in the same boat at $400 but if you want MOA or MIL, variable, FFP then the Falcon Menace comes to mind in that price range though.
Falcon Menace 4-14x44 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Also, Millett has a couple of scopes in that range.
Can't speak for the tracking on either of them though. You will have to do your own research on that.

if you play with the turrets a lot, or do the longer range. I will not recommend any scope below $1000. That's just me. My first scope was nikon monarch. It's actually pretty good.

For the extra hundred. I have had very good luck with the Falcon Menace 4-14.
It is FFP, mil/mil and has three VERY good reticles (EMD, ML16 and B20).
Glass is very good FOR THE PRICE.
Lots of internal adjustment, they usually track very well and return to zero.

For 300 bones, I don't think the weaver grand slam tactical 3-10x from Midway can be beat. Good glass, mil/mil and made in Japan quality.

My bad, I'm sure many scope will work fine under $1000 but JUST me " i had a Camry and upgraded to Ferrari and i dont want to go back to the Camry. Like you said" we are all have our reasons".

If you look at midway, they have an exclusive bsa scope that is ffp and matching turrets. It has gotten good reviews and a lot of ppl say it is a rebranded falcon menace. I personally run a weaver tactical 3.5 -10 x 44 midway scope. The glass is great, tracking is great, and it is mil/mil. But I only have it on my 22. It is also $50 out of your budget. Good luck.

The Mil/MOA does not bother me, because I can quickly convert mils to MOA. I may go with the Primary Arms 4-14x44. Looks to be a decent scope for the price.

Look for a used Sightron III, these are SFP moa/mil set ups but they track very well and glass is damn good for the price.

Hardmix

I have to say there are a few good scopes under $1k. Sightron and vortex come to mind, and some bushnells. But I would suggest buying used, and looking for a good deal, and saving money while you are doing it. I have found good deals on vortex (picked up a 5-15x44 for $360) and a couple of sightron siii 6-24x50 mrad (I have less than $1200 combined in both of them), not to mention a few deals on older leupolds and used super snipers. I put one of the muellers on a savage 17hmr and wasnt really impressed by it. Check cameraland (hide sponsor) for their Vortex viper 6.5-20x44, they run them for $279.99 on occasion. Good, repeatable scope with good glass and great warranty.
Just dont rush and buy one just because you want it quick. you will end up wasting ammo if you get a cheap scope that isnt repeatable or reliable, or wont hold zero. be patient, and save more while you are waiting for a good deal.

Really liking the Falcon Menace 4-14x44. Think I may just spend the hundred more and purchase that scope.

I have narrowed it down to the Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40 and the Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP. What are your guys' opinions?

Full featured, surprisingly capable for its price, I have owned four for about a half decade, they have all run fine so far. Tasco 6-24x42 Target / Varmint Riflescope VAR624X42M I believe I've managed to live a long time and well without an FFP optic. Shot a lot of X's with mine back when I was competing in 1Kyd F Open Class with a custom Savage .260.

Greg

Last edited:
^^^^ I have one of these on my .22, I would say these are a good value for what you pay for. The upper end of mag gets dicey but overall pretty good for what it is.

Hardmix

As the title says, I'm trying to find a budget scope that I plan on shooting long range target with, 750-1000 yards. I will be mounting onto a 20 MOA base. I am currently looking at the Sightmark Triple Duty 4-16x44 and the Mueller APT 4.5-14x40. What are your guys' thoughts and do you have any other suggestions?

Out of your choices I'd go with the Mueller. I have the APT on a Savage Mark ll, prior to that it was on my 20" AR. It was clear at 14x, ranges on 10X, it tracks well but is a bit mushy when dialing. A big difference in feel between that and the Vortex Viper that replaced it. If you can push the budget a couple hundred more I'd look into the Vortex Viper line for a variable. I also tried the Bushnell 3200 10X Mil Mil Midway had. I got to use to having parallax adjustments but would go with the SWFA SS 10x42 to correct that if a fixed power would work for you. It's only a hundred more than the Bushnell, 300 currently. So, Vortex Vipers for variable power, SWFA SS fixed power, Mueller if your set on the 2 mentioned.

Out of your choices I'd go with the Mueller. I have the APT on a Savage Mark ll, prior to that it was on my 20" AR. It was clear at 14x, ranges on 10X, it tracks well but is a bit mushy when dialing. A big difference in feel between that and the Vortex Viper that replaced it. If you can push the budget a couple hundred more I'd look into the Vortex Viper line for a variable. I also tried the Bushnell 3200 10X Mil Mil Midway had. I got to use to having parallax adjustments but would go with the SWFA SS 10x42 to correct that if a fixed power would work for you. It's only a hundred more than the Bushnell, 300 currently. So, Vortex Vipers for variable power, SWFA SS fixed power, Mueller if your set on the 2 mentioned.

I have narrowed it down to the Falcon Menace 4-14x44, and the Bushnell 10x40, as stated in my previous post.

I have narrowed it down to the Falcon Menace 4-14x44, and the Bushnell 10x40, as stated in my previous post.

I had two Falcons. They both ended up being junk in the end...

I wised up and got quality glass and won't put anything that "budget" on my rifles anymore except for my .22's. my primary high power rifles have Bushnell elite tactical scopes in them now. I love my Bushy DMR and I'm convinced that if I would have bought something like this first, I would have saved a lot of money in the long run...

Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40 from MidwayUSA...

+1 for Weaver Grand Slam. They have very accurate and repeatable tracking. At this price point, tracking is more important than optics. (Good optics cost W-A-Y more than $250.)

Sightron uses a similar tracking system, but they're more expensive. ($700+)

Bushie 3200 10X would be my second choice. Fixed power and clicks are kinda mushy, but at least your mildots will be accurate. I doubt that any FFP scope under $1000 would be worth owning...

P.S. Buying used will save you 30-50%.

Would you prefer the Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x over the SWFA SS 12x42?

Would you prefer the Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x over the SWFA SS 12x42?

The SS is a lot more scope. It's got the glass-etched Mil-quad reticle, more internal adjustment, adjustable parallax, and in general is more robust. To me, it's a no brainer, but there are lots of people happy with the Bushy and it is a best value for its price.

The SS is a lot more scope. It's got the glass-etched Mil-quad reticle, more internal adjustment, adjustable parallax, and in general is more robust. To me, it's a no brainer, but there are lots of people happy with the Bushy and it is a best value for its price.

How well does the scope track?

take a look at the Hawke Optics scopes, Hawke Optics | Home

I have the Panorama EV which has lots of elevation and is less than $250. It is available with mil dot and illuminated

Hawke Optics | Panorama EV
I think those scopes are pretty decent, though in comparison for the money, I'd recommend mil/mil as having matching units in the reticle and turrets is HUGE, at least to me. Also, the eye relief is a little close for comfort on those, if going on a kicker.
How well does the scope track?
I've never heard of anyone having tracking issues with the SS. Tons of guys have them and dial the crap out of them up and down, we'd hear about it here if it was an issue that came up very often.

I've been looking through optics lately after reading advice on this thread, and I am thinking of increasing my budget to the $1500-$1600 range. What would you guys recommend in this range?

That's...a HUGE jump for an allegedly tight budget that $300 was breaking last week.

We getting trolled?

That's...a HUGE jump for an allegedly tight budget that $300 was breaking last week.

We getting trolled?

No, just looked at some numbers in my accounts and I have freed up about $1600 for scope & rings.

Thats defineitly a big jump in budget, but you can end up with a scope that will last a lifetime though. Lots of great options in that range, this line up is $900-$1600...

In FFP I'd look at:
Vortex PST 6-24x50
SWFA SS 5-20x50
Bushnell Elite 6-24x50
IOR 3-18x42
Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50

In SFP I'd look at:
Leupold Mark4 6.5-20x50
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
Sightron SIII 6-24x50

Thats defineitly a big jump in budget, but you can end up with a scope that will last a lifetime though. Lots of great options in that range, this line up is $900-$1600...

In FFP I'd look at:
Vortex PST 6-24x50
SWFA SS 5-20x50
Bushnell Elite 6-24x50
IOR 3-18x42
Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50

In SFP I'd look at:
Leupold Mark4 6.5-20x50
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
Sightron SIII 6-24x50

I was looking at the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F, thoughts? Where is the ideal place to purchase Nightforce?

Last edited:
I was looking at the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F, thoughts? Where is the ideal place to purchase Nightforce?

Just to clarify, there is the NXS, and the NXS F1. The latter is FFP and runs about $700 more from what I've seen, and is only offered in the 3.5-15x config. They are both great scopes, NXS can be had with zero stop for about $200 more; probably worth it, its standard on the F1. There are several 'Hide vendors on here that will take great care of you.
Nightforces are about the toughest scopes made and have great resale valve, though they are a little spendy and heavy compared to a few other offerings, but a good investment. just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, there is the NXS, and the NXS F1. The latter is FFP and runs about $700 more from what I've seen, and is only offered in the 3.5-15x config. They are both great scopes, NXS can be had with zero stop for about $200 more; probably worth it, its standard on the F1. There are several 'Hide vendors on here that will take great care of you.
Nightforces are about the toughest scopes made and have great resale valve, though they are a little spendy and heavy compared to a few other offerings, but a good investment. just my 2 cents.

Sorry about that, the 'F' was not supposed to be there.

Sorry about that, the 'F' was not supposed to be there.

Oh, ok no prob.

I think you'd love the NXS, they have more reticle options available in 1/4 moa adjustments, so with Nightforce I'd probably go with a moa based reticle, rather than a mil-dot with moa clicks. They do have mil/mil too, but I like the MOAR reticle better than the standard mil-dot config. For the mil-based reticle, the MLR is my pick.

Is there a particular set of rings that work best with these scopes? Also, what is the price difference in a NXS 3.5-15x50 and a NXS 5.5-22x50?

Last edited: