• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a USMC M40A3

Re: Building a USMC M40A3

Here's mine - I just get more impressed every time I look at her and handle her.

One thing though is that I'm more partial to the DD Ross bottom metal instead of the Badger - not too many of DD Ross around.

Merry Christmas to everyone and their families!

All the best, Carl
044.jpg

ghng.jpg

1 of the 12. Approaching 1000 rounds thru her and just keeps getting better and better.

Rich

the m40a3 have the floorplate not detachable box mags, the new m40a5 has the BO bottom metal for a detachable mag.

Really? Gunna doubt that one, sorry. Check the two sets of specs on them and see what you come up with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the m40a3 have the floorplate not detachable box mags, the new m40a5 has the BO bottom metal for a detachable mag. </div></div>

Wrong. Do some research.

The M40A5 has the barrel threaded for use of a suppressor.

Read this, has some good info: http://www.mca-marines.org/Leatherneck/april09-precision-weapons.asp

i think that both of you are wrong. The M40A3 has a hinged floorplate. I think that i know because i play with them everyday as i am an 0317, for all of you who dont know what that is it is a Scout/Sniper, we happen to shoot the M40A3. So some specs that you found online arent what it really is.

yeah your right the people who handle the weapons that are in question on a daily basis dont know what we are talking about, you must have read more than i did on the 40, but probably dont have any hands on experience with it. here is a picture from iraq, and you can clearly notice that the 40 doesnt have a detachable mag.

m40andxm3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There're lots of people around here who know better than the guys, like yourself, who are actually doing the job. Get used to it.
</div></div>

Okay, back to you.
smile.gif

deadly0311 --- hah hah you funny gi.

Awesome pic - is that an IBA XM-3 in the middle? looks like one of theirs down to the sling, stock pack, & nightforce scope and rings.

no the mount for the simrad is on the barrel right in front of the objective lense. not on the top ring. And yes that is an IBA XM3

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good stuff in these threads about what certain branches/MOS's in the military are doing these days. It always makes me wonder where all the so called "common knowledge" comes from. One of my favorites is the TIS "contract sling." The only place I've ever seen a TIS sling on a M40A3 is right here on the Hide...
</div></div>

Actually they do issue the TIS slings, I've seen a box of em @ PWS... Now whether or not they actually use them who knows, but they send em out in the pelican case...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah your right the people who handle the weapons that are in question on a daily basis dont know what we are talking about, you must have read more than i did on the 40, but probably dont have any hands on experience with it. here is a picture from iraq, and you can clearly notice that the 40 doesnt have a detachable mag.

m40andxm3.jpg
</div></div>
What year is this from? The bits I have gathered have all said in 2007 they started changing to the detachable mag. Also I'd be carefull posting this kind of info. I remember my first day here I had questions about a m40a3 build. I said something along the lines of how do you guys know they switched to the DM. Nobody had any info backing it up. But they all wanted to hassle me for questioning the information. Although since then I have found info that back it up, but this does put a new twist on things. I only ask because I am still in the midst of saving and putting rounds down range so when I finally get things together it will be accurate.

this was no more than six months ago, our deployment was from apr 08 to oct 08

Did you happen to see any with the DM? Would some of the builds be correct?

i have personally never seen an M40A3 with DM, the ones that are in our armory have the hinged floorplate. We played with the new M40A5 and they have the threaded barrel and DM. Some would be, but the only place that produces real M40A3 is the Precision Weapons Shop in Quantico VA

The A3's were/are updated as they come in for repairs/rebuilds with the Badger BM and the PGW front rail. Sure there's still some with the Ross BM, but most have the Badger.

hey shawnb if you would scroll down to the littler pics you would see the first one is an m40a3 that doesnt have a dm, and if you read the post right after yours you would also understand, you try to prove me wrong when in fact i have been up to the precision weapons shop and am currently in a scout sniper platoon, which last time i checked we used the M40A3's

Not trying to prove you wrong, but the first one does have a Badger DBM but no mag in place. It is my understanding as lizzardking308 stated they will be retro fitted with the badger when they go in for repair or rebarrel. I am sure Eric Reid could clear this up. Don't really care what its called it is a great well built rifle, thank you for your service and stay safe out there.
Shawn

Guys, not sure what difference it makes, but trust me, i was at PWS two weeks ago, and EVERYTHING there i saw that was getting ready to go out the door had the badger bottom metal on it, AND a TIS sling in the case as well. The A5's are basically the same only they have the surefire brake on the front.

A DM in action.

Full article is Here

The original solicitations in late '06 called out a DM for the M40A3, later formalized as the Badger M5.

"COTS TRIGGERGUARD/MAGAZINE WELL SYSTEM FOR THE M40A3 7.62MM SNIPER RIFLE
Notice Date 9/29/2006
Solicitation Number M6785406R1078
Description
The United States Marine Corps Systems Command (MARCORSYSCOM), Infantry Weapons Systems, Quantico, Virginia is currently seeking Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) for procurement of a COTS triggerguard/magazine well system for the M40A3 7.62mm sniper rifle that will allow the use of 5- or 10- round box magazines. The system must have a magazine release located outside of the triggerguard."

"Badger Ordnance Triggerguard and Magazines
Notice Date 12/28/2006
Solicitation Number M6785407R1050
Description
The United States Marine Corps Systems Command (MARCORSYSCOM), Infantry Weapons Systems, Quantico, Virginia is currently seeking a brand name only Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) IDIQ contract for Badger Ordnance M5 Detachable Magazine Triggerguard (P/N 306-82) and Badger Ordnance Eight-Pack of 5-Round Magazines for M5 (P/N 306-82-05)."

A few more from the recent Top Sniper II program.

notice the the SIMRAD cap and forward rail ! Hmmm, come to think of it..Don't think I have never seen an A3 without the SIMRAD cap mounted on the scope !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm, come to think of it..Don't think I have never seen an A3 without the SIMRAD cap mounted on the scope ! </div></div>

Here's a few floating around sans the SIMRAD cap.

They have run out of SIMRAD caps periodically, but still sent the rifles out the door without them.

Not all a3's will have the SIMRAD cap. I know that our guns dont have them but they are kept in the armory. They really arent needed since there is a rail for the NV.

Yes Im enjoying leave but its not long enough. You need to hurry up and get back here so we can go to the range before we go back to work and you need to get your gun.

Another thing about this thread, the DM is not all that its cracked up to be. The unit that replaced us had them and they didnt like them. Too many things wrong with them. I hate them and I hope that I dont ever get that damn thing. Should be a choice if you want it. Just because one person like it doesnt mean that the next person would.

It's actually both. The 7.62 is the same as .308. 7.62 is all 30 caliber rounds. Just like the M16 is 5.56 but in the cicilian world it is now as .223.

sorry I'm dead tired i meant civilian world and know

I'm an armorer in the Marine Corps and the only in my shop that can work on sniper rifles. The M40A3 does not have a detachable mag. As of date in 2009 I have not heard anything about having a detachable mag. Neither does the XM3. The are the same basic weapon with there differences but they are built from the same platform.

7.62X51 isn't 308Win.........in any world.

No M5 bottom metal on the M40A3's?? What shop are you in that hasn't seen A3's with DBM's?

So, If I would want one of these or a M24 made. Who would I call and what would one of these units cost. I have rifles build, but no one up here can make them

Just got my A4 Stock with DD Ross bottom metal, from JWPrecision. Great stock. USMC Spec. I Shot the rifle for the first time today just to get it zeroed at 100 yards. Shot pretty well. No pics though. I forgot the camera. I have to get used to the Remmy's X-mark Pro. Mine is actually very light. I like it, but it is just not what I am used to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t3cJYsey15U"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t3cJYsey15U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Figured some more cool stuff was in order...
wink.gif
</div></div>So after firing like that, what does it do the barrel other then the obvious heat?
If one of us were to do something like that with out rifle, what would happen, and would it cause any dammage?

question: was it just a rumor that the marinecorp was using the badger ordnance magazines now or is it true? Wasn't there a armorer on here not too long ago who said he's never seen one with the magazines?

ETA: ok nvm a while back, it was on page 9 lol. anyhow what's the scoop with the magazines?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not an accurate reproduction, so may not be applicable. Scope on loan from a great friend.

DSC00367.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

And the answer is no, the scope is not touching the base at any point. I triple checked. </div></div> I really like the look of these original A4 stocks. Really nice build

Sorry if this be s dumb question, but are only Badger M5 DBMs used on the A3? The reason I ask is I read a post somewhere about the hs precision dbm being used on m40a3s as well as the Badger unit. I however doubt the usage of any hsp bttm metal on any A3s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t3cJYsey15U"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t3cJYsey15U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Figured some more cool stuff was in order...
wink.gif
</div></div>So after firing like that, what does it do the barrel other then the obvious heat?
If one of us were to do something like that with out rifle, what would happen, and would it cause any dammage? </div></div>

I shoot faster than I should during matches using a .308. For me it's just easier to keep a constant speed and my speed is a little fast. My .308 match gun currently has over 10,000 rounds thru it and it still holds .5-.6 MOA consistently so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Overbore calibers will suffer much quicker than the underbore .308.

when i think rifle, this is what i see in my mind. that stock has always been my favorite. i think i will still have to get one, even though it wont be anywhere close to a spec build.