• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a USMC M40A3

Re: Building a USMC M40A3

Where to find a return stock for these for an A3/5 build? Seems to be way fewer of these are around than the earlier A1 stocks............

Drop me a PM or email if you have one or know where to locate one.

Thanks - Todd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where to find a return stock for these for an A3/5 build? Seems to be way fewer of these are around than the earlier A1 stocks............

Thanks - Todd </div></div>

I think that there are 11 known returns that GAP done full builds on. I hope to have one.. but finding one is not likly.

Any updates or more pics? I thinking this is the way to go for a good all around rifle.

I'm amazed that the Marines would want to replace the S&Bs on these A3s with a Nighforce. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the nightforce but replacing a working scope with a less expensive scope seems like a waste of money. I can understand they would replace a broken scope with a nightforce scope if nightforce has the new contract.

It seems fishy, despite the wording of "day optic for snipers" I wonder if the nightforce contract scopes are only for mounting on mk11s and other spotter/marksman rifles.

Who said they were replacing S&B's with Night Force?? I find that very unlikely but then again obama was elected so what do I know anymore lol. (no offense just stating I thought it was a long shot election) Also is there a spec on paint jobs on the A3?

There was a contract mentioned for special ops sniper day optics with Nightforce. The contract supposedly also included the Marine Corps. Now I figure Marines don't build that many M40s so they are probably fitted mostly with S&B, maybe some hold-outs with MST100. Unless someone drove over some optics with a truck or had other failures, I doubt Marines would be replacing S&Bs anytime soon. They may be needing the nightforces for SAM-Rs or mk11s.

There is a pic of a Marine with an M40a3 fitted with a luepy M3 but it was an OIF "in the field" pic and its possible the sniper had to replace an MST100 with something short term off some DMR.

Makes sense that it would be used on another rifle, but even that is far fetched for me. Sounds like NF probably leaked a rumor to sell scopes though

The below links speak to the possible contract. One links to a thread on the Hide. I haven't heard or read anything since. As for M40 optics, I don't know if the contract matters or not. Army and Navy maybe the only ones really joinsin for the nightforce scopes.(not knocking Army and Navy or Nightforce)
BTW, it would be nice to find an old style angled butthook A4 stock to do a build from. The m40a3 is kinda ugly but the old style A4 looks a bit better than the new version especially if it is left plain and smooth without the grip and forearm stippling. The old navy m86 with McHale would be my choice, I love that mchale stock! Sorry I understand this to be an M40A3 build thread.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/258-Million-for-Nightforce-Sniper-Dayscopes-06382/

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1812065

I am always trying to figure out my dream rifle. I love the idea of having a GAP M40A1 but I am seriously contimplating the A3. Seems to me that the stock has a better grip angle for some. Maybe the smaller hand people. With the A3 grip being more pistol grip. Hmmmmmmm.

What is the actual serial number range of the M40A3? Does it have a prefix? I have been told by a certain Government contractor that they have an E prefix but thought that maybe some of the HOGs here would have the answer.

Here are a couple picture's of my clone m40a3 "not mil spec"

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

Thanks M855
This build is a M40A3 with a twist.......
Chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua
24" Bartlein barrel with 8 heavy spiral flutes
Jewel trigger set at 1#
heavy fluted bolt
Shark 30 cal supppressor
5-25 Schmidt glass
Badger bottom metal

This rifle impreses me every time I get behind it. Last night I took a Nice 8 point whitetail at 483 yards.

Thanks for your time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC00368.jpg

</div></div>

Very cool...first MST 150 I have seen in long while...I like how the numbers on the knob keep going up!! You have great friends.

and bump for more pics/banter/specs/etc...

Here is my spec TBA M40a3 with side bolt release and simrad mount. Here are some pics.
DSCF0253.jpg

DSCF0255.jpg

DSCF0257.jpg

Bumping this thread on behalf of it being my favorite thread ever, and the celebration of my first A4 purchase! Keep the sexy pictures coming!

What bases does GAP and TBA use on these A3's? Dan Ross doesn't sell his bases to these people cause I talked to him

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blakheaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What bases does GAP and TBA use on these A3's? Dan Ross doesn't sell his bases to these people cause I talked to him </div></div>

The Badger Ordnance 306-06UX Lugged pic base is the easiest to get, and it's a functional replacement, if not exactly the same size.

At TBA, we use either the 306-06UX or our own M40A3 bases.

The customer can also provide a DD Ross base for his own build.

Ya the only downfall to the badger is its only 20 MOA. But for anyone else reading TBA and from talking to george GAP both make there own spec bases.
Dan Ross knows his stuff but is super paranoid about selling his bases and charges 600 (300 for the base and 300 for the action clipslot)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where to find a return stock for these for an A3/5 build? Seems to be way fewer of these are around than the earlier A1 stocks............

Thanks - Todd </div></div>

I think that there are 11 known returns that GAP done full builds on. I hope to have one.. but finding one is not likly. </div></div>

Anyone know if McMillan issued certificates for authenticity with the (11) A-3 return stocks built by Eric Reid? If not is there a way to distinguish the (11) by Reid's stamps/engravings?

Thanks in advance!

since this is the M40A3 thread i'll put some pics of mine in here all spec except for scope ran out of funds for that but i do plan on getting one rail is a badger 30 moa for the m40a3.This was built by my cousin a 2112 at quantico it even has the PWS stamp on the barrel that i cant get to show up in a pic but still trying.

image.jpg

Gun.jpg

image-1.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

Anyone have the detailed schematic/drawing of the clip slotting for the A3?

Pics?

Dude, you know you can post more than one item into a single reply, right?

Mine is not an M40A3 but I just had to post some pic's of my rifle. Some of you just want to see more pic's of that type of gun. Just to keep it going.
DSCN1240.jpg
DSCN1244.jpg
DSCN1243.jpg

@Rommel: Sweet! And you got the scope serialized to your action. Double sweet!

Thanks, I had the one piece base that was made for the scope that was also serialized but it was very hard to set up the proper eye relief. I took it off and opted for a separate base and rings. Sadly no serial numbers but it's much easier to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWHII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just for shits and giggles </div></div>

That's someone supplementing until their custom build is finished!

Hey everybody, new to the hide. I am seriously considering a TBA M40A3 and was hoping to get some input. I have heard a few bad things about TBA, but mostly about the wait times. On the other hand, I have heard his rifles shoot pretty hot. If anybody could give me any info on your recent experiences with Mike Lau it would be much appreciated.

I've shot a buddy of mine's m40a1. It was a great shooter! I think his best groups were .19-.20 MOA. He waited roughly 18 months for it, that might have been one of the faster turn-around times! The rifle was great though! TBA also did what seemed to be the correct black oxide finish for the A1, though I don't know if that's done anymore as it may be against OSHA or something-(someone in m40a1 build thread mentioned it being hazardous). Rifle was built about 12 years ago when TBA probably were building quite regularly, I don't know what TBA is up to recently. I've heard email is hard to get through. The phone may be difficult as well but if you get someone on the phone they may take your order. In short, from what I've experianced from my freinds rifle, its a classy well finished highly accurate firearm at a good price!! However, getting a build started seems like a sketchy thing over the last few years but this probably is due to demand more than anything else! I hear he does a lot of LE work and as a lot of builders do, he makes LE orders priority.

Anybody find the diagram for machining the action to fit the A3 type scope base?

Thanks for the info. I keep going back and forth between TBA and GAP. TBA is promising 1/4" groups while GAP promises 1/2" (and a better build time). I know it may seem weird to be picky, but 1/4" vs 1/2" can be a considerable difference when you get out to the longer ranges. Again any personal experience input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for all of this info. I'm getting and M40A5 and all of this is extremely helpful for me to make it as 'replica' as possible.

Also, this is being very very picky, but does anyone know if the Marines use the Harris bipods with standard legs or notched legs?

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBR.html vs. http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBRMS.html

Or does anyone have a preference for one over the other?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info. I keep going back and forth between TBA and GAP. TBA is promising 1/4" groups while GAP promises 1/2" (and a better build time). I know it may seem weird to be picky, but 1/4" vs 1/2" can be a considerable difference when you get out to the longer ranges. Again any personal experience input is greatly appreciated. </div></div>

I have a M40A5 built by GAP and I have no problem shooting 1/4moa groups when i do my part. Do not be put off by accuracy promises, most GAP shoot well below 1/2moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crawdad1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info. I keep going back and forth between TBA and GAP. TBA is promising 1/4" groups while GAP promises 1/2" (and a better build time). I know it may seem weird to be picky, but 1/4" vs 1/2" can be a considerable difference when you get out to the longer ranges. Again any personal experience input is greatly appreciated. </div></div>

I have a M40A5 built by GAP and I have no problem shooting 1/4moa groups when i do my part. Do not be put off by accuracy promises, most GAP shoot well below 1/2moa. </div></div>

Sounds good. I was wondering if they just guarantee .5 MOA to have a little leeway for people new to precision rifles. I can't wait to order mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spaceman_Spiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to everyone for all of this info. I'm getting and M40A5 and all of this is extremely helpful for me to make it as 'replica' as possible.

Also, this is being very very picky, but does anyone know if the Marines use the Harris bipods with standard legs or notched legs?

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBR.html vs. http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBRMS.html

Or does anyone have a preference for one over the other? </div></div>

I think they use the Harris bipods. I was watching "Surviving the Cut: Marine Sniper" last night, and it looked like they had Harris bipods on their rifles.
Speaking from experience, I use a Harris 6"-9" BR bipod on my hunting rifle. I like the capability to get as low to the ground as possible. (I hunt in the wide open spaces of Montana, so a prone shot is pretty common) The only thing is, I wish I had the swivel option. I think it's like $20 more.
Just my .02. It all depends on what the purpose of the rifle is.
Have fun with that M40A5.

What exactly is an M24 Trigger?

I tried to search for it, but came up empty...

Also, will a 308 SA from a Remington 700P work for a M40A3 build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWHII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Externally adjustable trigger used on US Army M24 sniper rifle </div></div>

Well the 40X triggers are externally adjustable...is that the right trigger? I know that too light of a pull weight and the 40X becomes unstable.

What is the spec pull weight for a M40A3...3-5lbs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWHII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might be selling my spec M40A5 build haven't decided yet it's new and unfired..... </div></div>

Who built it?