• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building the Perfect Reloading Room

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Figured I'd move this thread over, in light of all the folks who posted such great stuff back on the old 'Hide. I captured a lot of it and will incorporate into the new room(s).

Another snowy weekend spent in the barn attic saw the completion of all my framing and the installation of all the wiring. Put in 8 outlets in the room, all at 48" height, to give plenty of clearance over benches. Wired in the light switches, too.

I found a really neat fixture at Home Depot which is an LED track light, but built in an "S" shape. So you can point lights in all kinds of interesting directions. And it current draw is tiny. I'll combine that with some on-bench lights.

Decided, too, to add a Gunsmithing bench for rifle building and other projects. That will be separate from the reloading benches. But I have lots of room.

Pictures when I get around to it. We're getting a 14" dusting of snow up here. So may get a day off tomorrow to keep going!

Insulating next. Did I mention I hate insulating? It itches.

Cheers

Sirhr

I still haven't figured out a tag line, but instead I'll just type this....

Always fun to see how everyone changes their set ups. My "idea" tends to change depending on if I am shooting volume (pistol/USPSA) or precision. I am lucky that I get to move every few years, and I build a new bench at each location. Slowly getting better at knowing what I want, and most of my equipment is finalized.

I finally finished my 4th bench in my reloading room which is a dedicated gun building bench. Just needs to be stained and cleared but that will have to wait till spring when I can leave the windows open.

1. Dillon XL650 bench
2. Co-Ax / Chargemaster bolt rifle bench
3. Roch Chucker depriming and brass prep bench
4. Gun building/cleaning bench

I went with Inline Fabrications Ultramount with Quick Change baseplate system. Its an amazing setup!! I have 5 baseplates with different tools mounted on each. They have a huge drop down of pre made plates for all kinds to tools, trimmers, presses, vises, etc. Waiting on a second shipment from them with my wall mounting system. Also have a nice sturdy old dinning room table as kind of a 5th bench for whatever I need it for.

Last edited:
Sirh,

You might try that new block foam insulating that fits between the studs. Seems to be a hellva lot easier to install; just liquid nail that stuff to the backer board and sheet rock over it. Plus, no itchy crap flying around.

May even be worth just buying the spray foam insulation kit. Hose that crap down and continue on with a full 30" step...

Reactions: 338dude
What is the scoop on this bench padom? I'd really like something like this for a reloading bench. Was this bought or built? Any plans available if it was built?

It was the first reloading bench I built at my old place and brought to me new house. It was one heavy bitch to move.

3/4" Oak glued and screwed to 3/4" MDF ro form the top. 2x6 and 2x4 framing with 4x4 Cedar posts. all framing was bolted to the cedar posts. Top was secured to frame with screws from bottom. No screw holes in top work surface anywhere. 3/4 oak bottom shelf. Oak trim glued and nailed on top edges. All nail holes puddied. Everything was sanded, stained, then 5 coats of poly sanding between every coat. That bench is 6 or 7 years old and has seen a ton of use. Was my only bench for years till I moved about 1.5yr ago. It has held up great.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Ok so here's images of the 4th bench I built over the past month for a dedicated gunsmith bench. Its built the same way as the bench you are asking about GreenBlood10 but I took the recommendation of another forum member and went a different route for the top to test out. Instead of sandwhiching 3/4" Oak and 3/4" MDF to make a solid top, I bought a solid core door which is 1.75" thick and heavy as fuck. The solid core 32" wide door from Lowes was $62 vs about $140 for 4x8 sheets of MDF and 3/4" Oak plywood. We will see over time how well the solid core door vs the oak plywood holds up. Not shown in this picture but I nailed trim boards to the edges just like my first bench and a trim board across the back that sticks up 2" to keep things from rolling off the back of the bench. Framing is mostly 2x6 with 2x4 used for the bottom shelf. Cedar posts all bolted. I secured the top to the bench by running screws through my cross supports up from the bottom into the door. Make sure to use screws that arent too long, otherwise they will pop up through your work surface.

Once the weather brakes and I can have the windows open I will be staining and putting 5 coats of clear on it but for now I just threw some work bench top rubber matting to protect the bare wood.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/FN0kkKi.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/SD0bqdy.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/0N88hRK.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Adding another section for 21st Century Lathe in the next couple of days

Attachments

• photo46811.jpg
    photo46811.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 4,341
  • photo46812.jpg
    photo46812.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 2,925
I built a bench out of steel and bolted it to the floor, and put a stainless steel top on it. It cleans up really nice and is pretty much bomb proof. I also put together some heavy duty shelves behind where I took the picture to hold components and ammo, and built some closets to store powder and tools. I really don't like having everything "out" all the time, so I just pull out the powder, bullets, primers, etc that I need to load and put it all away when I'm done. Obviously you need a little room to do this, but it works well. I epoxy coated the floors as well, which turned out pretty good for my first try. Not a huge fan of the color after I put it down, but it sure works well.

I think if I were to scale everything back, I'd have just a Redding T7 with two toolheads, and a couple XL650's set up for small and large primer. That's really all you need to crank out a ton of ammo... though, automated 1050's sure come in handy lol.

Attachments

• t0qfia.jpg
    t0qfia.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,345
So because AJ called me a slacker... because I took last weekend off to go and pick up a live cannon in Cheboygan (no, really...) instead of working on my reloading room.

Here's a couple of pictures of today's progress. Got the pocket door in (decided to make my own 'barn door' not buy some Chinese thing from Home Depot. And insulated about 1/3rd of the ceiling and got my ceiling panels up. Instead of sheetrocking, I'm going with metal roofing. Looks great. Goes up in a snap. No taping, no joint compound, no sanding, no painting. Damn this stuff is GREAT for interior spaces! $22 a sheet 3 x 8 at Home Despot.

I'll have the ceiling in by tomorrow in one of the two rooms and I'll get the wall insulation up on the dividing wall. By the end of next weekend, I'll be starting on planking the walls. Progress... lots of progress!

Love some of the bench pictures above. I'm going to make my own and those are some beautifully built (and rugged-looking) benches!

16904728_1088150087998304_5882357243257520843_o.jpg

16903300_1088149744665005_1770799340719967800_o.jpg

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. Who's the slacker now, "Mister" AJ????

• Haha
Reactions: 338dude and Ribo68
What are you guys using for bench lights? The room where I am building my reloading bench has overhead lighting but it is on the dim side. I don't want to mess around with installing new lighting since we plan to move in a years time. I was thinking about an adjustable architecture style desk lamp. What's on your bench?

Reactions: 338dude
AJ seems to think that I'm slacking off on my reloading room project.... so I'll dispel his Vicodin-fueled delusions and give him something to do vicariously while recovering from his Propane thrill ride. Sorry AJ... I know, you are sore. But it will get better!

16992428_1093244427488870_2348377163980513239_o.jpg

Got almost all the insulation in.... and will get the rest of the ceiling panels up tomorrow. Pocket door in place. Still needs to be shimmed. Wiring is mostly in. Just need to put in one more outlet and then light fixtures in the ceiling.

17015815_1093244714155508_6060691895863537994_o.jpg
Insulated.... ready to do the pine shiplap on the walls. But first have to get the rest of the ceiling panels in. Going to be toasty in the winter... cool in the summer!
17157670_1093244237488889_5989370948434214707_o.jpg

One of the walls in and the ceiling panels on one side. Leftover lumber that I'll use for trimming.

By tomorrow, I should have all the ceilings in and the lighting done.

Next weekend... I'll start on the walls. Note one of the windows framed in... but have not cut out the wood yet. Gotta get a bit warmer first!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Alrighty then. Now we're talking. That is looking great and "finally" coming along at an acceptable pace. ;) That is going to be one beautiful grow, er, loading room. :cool:

I'd apologize for calling you out for the malingering, but I think it best only one of us at a time.

Looks like you shouldn't end up with a lady bug or bat issue. Always a bonus. Those rooms are going to light up nicely. Love the outlet heights. Bench top height around?

Thanks for posting up Sir. I'm liking this big time. Now where's that script? :p

I don't think a gnat is going to get through my insulation....

Outlets will also be connected to power strips in some places.

I have not finalized my bench designs, but if you look on Page 1, there are several designs that are going to contribute. These will be heavy-duty benches, locked to the walls. 4 x 4 legs. Steel reinforcements.

Once I get the walls in place, the bench-building is going to begin!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reminds me....

I've always used a chair for reloading and had my benches at 'table' height. Used a dining room chair... to sit in. Nothing special. Just a 'table chair.'

But some of the reloading rooms show taller benches, stools, etc.

So what do you guys like for bench height? Prefer a reloading stool or a chair? What do you recommend for bench height and why?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Ok so here's images of the 4th bench I built over the past month for a dedicated gunsmith bench. Its built the same way as the bench you are asking about GreenBlood10 but I took the recommendation of another forum member and went a different route for the top to test out. Instead of sandwhiching 3/4" Oak and 3/4" MDF to make a solid top, I bought a solid core door which is 1.75" thick and heavy as fuck. The solid core 32" wide door from Lowes was $62 vs about $140 for 4x8 sheets of MDF and 3/4" Oak plywood. We will see over time how well the solid core door vs the oak plywood holds up. Not shown in this picture but I nailed trim boards to the edges just like my first bench and a trim board across the back that sticks up 2" to keep things from rolling off the back of the bench. Framing is mostly 2x6 with 2x4 used for the bottom shelf. Cedar posts all bolted. I secured the top to the bench by running screws through my cross supports up from the bottom into the door. Make sure to use screws that arent too long, otherwise they will pop up through your work surface.

Once the weather brakes and I can have the windows open I will be staining and putting 5 coats of clear on it but for now I just threw some work bench top rubber matting to protect the bare wood.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/FN0kkKi.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/SD0bqdy.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/0N88hRK.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Padom. Do you have an SKU on that door? That is ideal for some of my benchtops!

Cheers,

Sirhr

• Haha
Reactions: Graywolf.260
Ill be stealing that door trick as well for my gunsmithing bench Ill be building this summer. I am about to move (again) and most of my reloading stuff is packed away expect for the stuff I shoot regularly. Soon as I get settled in I will post what I get set up. Great looking benches here fellas

Reminds me....

I've always used a chair for reloading and had my benches at 'table' height. Used a dining room chair... to sit in. Nothing special. Just a 'table chair.'

So what do you guys like for bench height? Prefer a reloading stool or a chair? What do you recommend for bench height and why?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Since you're gonna have the space and fairly smooth floor I'd go with a bench height of anywhere between 28-30" especially if you have an adjustable roller chair with no arms or a short adjustable rolling stool. I have a high stool, no wheels, but my bench is 42" high and like an island so I can walk around it for certain tasks or sit in the stool for others. Depending on how much storage space you want under your bench is obviously going to come into play regarding height. You're lucky to have the space to enjoy both worlds. I'd definitely have one low bench and one high bench. Some work is more comfortable standing or using a tall stool, others sitting lower. I have a high and low work station and enjoy having the option. Just wish I had more room. Go figure.

Reminds me....

Cheers,

Sirhr

With my back problems I tend to build or buy any of my work surfaces at "bar height" vs table height. Part of that is because my butt has proven itself to be very comfortable at bars and on bar stools, but also because I tend to need to stand periodically and stretch out. A higher top lets me work more comfortably while standing.
For your bench tops, I'm shooting you a PM. I may have something you could use

With my back problems I tend to build or buy any of my work surfaces at "bar height" vs table height. Part of that is because my butt has proven itself to be very comfortable at bars and on bar stools, but also because I tend to need to stand periodically and stretch out. A higher top lets me work more comfortably while standing.

This 100%

Ditto. For sitting at my bar height benches, I use one of these. Gives me the option of having a chair back or (turned sideways) not.

Ditto. For sitting at my bar height benches, I use one of these. Gives me the option of having a chair back or (turned sideways) not.

I love those things. I'm threatening to try re-upholstering a few to use in my kitchen. I really want one with casters on it so I can just push myself around on it.

My buddies bench he just built, I'm using him as a ginny pig. It works so well!
0019bcccc81212d5075087c9f607d5ef.jpg
976d84f77c45901cdbcb36a436e20b66.jpg
cc28af871458fffa1b2700e594e35821.jpg

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

how did he make that top? that's some nice jointery on the ends of boards. I am planning on doing a laminated top like that by ripping 2x6 in half, then jointing and planning to size. going to try and make it 10'x36" so I don't want it too thick as ill never be able to lift it to get it on the frame!!

Awesome. I think it's time to retire my fixed height stool. I'm picking one up. And it matches my eyes. Bonus. Do ya think adding some mirror tiles, for depth only, would be to vain? :p

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Glacier Bay 12 in. x 12 in. Plain Edge Mirror Tiles (6-Pack)","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.homedepot.com\/catalog\/productImages\/1000\/ba\/ba0ed4ef-a6cd-4664-8fd0-3c6dbe26dedc_1000.jpg"}[/IMG2]

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-Bay-12-in-x-12-in-Plain-Edge-Mirror-Tiles-6-Pack-901010/205186530

Got the teenaged son of one of my high-school buddies to come over this morning and help with the rest of the ceiling. Got the white up in the side that will be the reloading room. Finished the green. Needless to say, the insulation is 100 percent in place. I estimated it pretty well. Out of all that insulating... I had 4 feet of 16" R19 left. Just enough to poke in around my windows and edges! WINNING!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net\/v\/t31.0-8\/17038470_1094024050744241_5839841015218243665_o.jpg?oh=bd886363f59556efc5e752ed55264be4&oe=5970C395"}[/IMG2]

Also got my track lighting in. LED. Between these and some bench lights, the room ought to be well-lit. Oh and the three giant windows!

17159094_1094107157402597_6476099157579834646_o.jpg

Starting next weekend, the Shiplap starts going up on the walls. I should get the walls on the reloading room itself done next weekend, though not the floors... Trying to decide if I want to do soft white pine on the floors... or spend some extra money and go with Southern Yellow Pine. I think the price delta is a no-brainer. Southern Yellow Pine it will be.

Benches... going to use the door style from Padom. That's a slick bench! Question for Padom, though. Is there enough hang-over for the presses? Or would a bit more of a lip help?

Cheers and thanks, guys, for all the fantastic tips!

Sirhr

Last edited:
Reactions: AZLONGRIDER
Does anyone else have any experience with the track in the bench top? I would like to do something similar because I don't have the space to keep everything out and mounted. I'd like to know if it's sturdy enough to not come loose when being used. This is another setup I just found and was wondering if anyone has used their stuff, here is the link https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/quick-change-press-mounting-system

Got the teenaged son of one of my high-school buddies to come over this morning and help with the rest of the ceiling. Got the white up in the side that will be the reloading room. Finished the green. Needless to say, the insulation is 100 percent in place. I estimated it pretty well. Out of all that insulating... I had 4 feet of 16" R19 left. Just enough to poke in around my windows and edges! WINNING!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net\/v\/t31.0-8\/17038470_1094024050744241_5839841015218243665_o.jpg?oh=bd886363f59556efc5e752ed55264be4&oe=5970C395"}[/IMG2]

Also got my track lighting in. LED. Between these and some bench lights, the room ought to be well-lit. Oh and the three giant windows!

Starting next weekend, the Shiplap starts going up on the walls. I should get the walls on the reloading room itself done next weekend, though not the floors... Trying to decide if I want to do soft white pine on the floors... or spend some extra money and go with Southern Yellow Pine. I think the price delta is a no-brainer. Southern Yellow Pine it will be.

Benches... going to use the door style from Padom. That's a slick bench! Question for Padom, though. Is there enough hang-over for the presses? Or would a bit more of a lip help?

Sirhr

my local lowes had 5/8" bamboo for a buck per square foot. It was natural color and I needed something more chocolate looking. Bamboo is extremely hard and will survive anything you might drop on it.

Your room is looking great!

WRT bench height, I agree with the ~bar height advice. For my height (6') a 40" bench height works. If I reach across the bench, I don't want my elbow to hit. You get much more leverage standing and if you need to sit, you can get a bar-height chair and do that Leo Kottke thing of sorta leaning on the chair style of standing.

To add to TB's post, IIRC, the correct height for vise file work is the top of the vise being 5" below the elbow (forearm held at a 90* angle). Might consider a height somewhere in between there, and the height of your elbow from the floor, for the bench height.

Sirhr

I built my benchs to have more than enough hangover for presses. Something like 4-6". Will measure when I get home.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk