• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet Casting,

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    This is an "off-the-wall" topic and question, but does anyone have any insight and/or connections with bullet casters?

Even more specifically, any info one can offer regarding "Ballisti-Cast Mark II" or "Bullet Master" machines would be great.

My Lady has decided that doing it herself is the most reliable method of obtaining her handgun bullets, sooooo,,,, guess what she went and "obtained"?

So having done hand casting in the past, this new machine tangent is going to be interesting. Ergo, we're looking for whatever ya'll can offer or suggest.

And yes, this is the right site to do this, as the more money saved with the other components, the more can be "re-directed" to the smoke-poles.
    grin.gif

Seriously though, I figured it would be prudent to ask the membership first.

Re: Bullet Casting,

There was another post here a month or two ago about lead and the toxicity of lead. Was a pretty good thread if I can recall. Someone here had been exposed to it through casting and basically it made me second guess the whole process of doing it myself also.

Simple precautions will keep you safe. Although casting temps do not vaporize lead, the smoke can't be good for you, so I have a fan blowing at my back. I never pick my nose, scratch certain areas, eat or drink while casting. I shower as soon as I finish. I've cast my own off and on since the '70s with no ill effects. I know hard core casters with four plus decades under their belts.

When I was a kid, and the "lead mania" did not explode yet, I was biting fishing line lead weights with my teeth to clamp them into place.
    Good times ....
    grin.gif

Tell her I wish her all my best. I used to use 2, 6 cavity H&G molds and several 4 cavity Lyman molds. Tell her just be careful. That's HOT stuff and it does leave scars. I have several.

I Thank you Gentlemen, for your input so far.

That's why I obtained automated machines, so I can essentially set it up and walk away without the exposure. But PPE and our kick ass air exchanger will most definitely be used.

I'm looking for anyone who has used these machines or has the dies on hand.

Excited to start!
    laugh.gif

Here's a video of an example of one of our machines working:

Ballisti-Cast Mark II

As you can tell I'm serious about shooting too.

I'm Hiding

That is pretty awesome indeed!

My friend has one of those machines,it's been rebuilt twice now and still going. I could not even guess how many tons of lead that has gone through his machine. Just make sure you have good air flow and by no means when standing near the machine have any liquid on your hands or a drink, one drop of water will clean out the molten lead pot and that shit goes all over the place. I didn't know it at the time but hot lead will go through some clothing. I was casting from a lead pot with a latel full of lead and nicked the side of the pot, it went through my sock and hardened on my ankle. You can't get your shoe and sock off fast enough no matter how young you are. That was in 1966 and i still have a scare. Safety first

Casting bullets is one of my favorite things too do. I can not imagine how many bullets you are shooting in order to need a casting machine?? Are you wanting to go into business selling bullets??

If you really want production for just your shooting then go to a custom made "gang mold". 400 or 500 bullets in an hour with no problem. The only thing holding you up would be the size of your pot, and bringing it up to temp.

IMO fumes and such in casting is vastly over rated. With just a few precautions you will not have any problems. First use Marvelux for your fluxing. This stops the open flames and such. And Cleans your lead very well. Clean lead does not give off fumes. Just invest in a decent thermometer. And a fan to your back is not the way to go. For a couple of reasons. you do not want to blow air across your pot. You want to draw the air off your pot. Set your fan a few feet down wind from your pot and draw the air across the pot(and away from you). If necessary put a second fan at the window or man door if inside. If outside then no more fans are needed.

I have been casting for a long time. Just wear gloves, loose clothing, and good safety glasses.

If you need more than 400 o 500 bullets in an hour--then go for a production caster. Tom.

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

I do not think I would get much enjoyment out of that machine. But it looks like a dandy. Where is your sizing and lubing machine?? It also looks like the hot soft bullets are falling a good distance?? I would think you would be getting some deformity from dropping that far. But maybe not. Might want to try dropping it into water. Personally I use a soft towel. I do not water quench, but alot of guys do. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was a kid, and the "lead mania" did not explode yet, I was biting fishing line lead weights with my teeth to clamp them into place.
    Good times ....
    grin.gif

</div></div>

I still do this. I have at least one pellet of #6 shot in the back of my head from a hunting accident about 15 years ago.

I've been casting bullets since the early 70s, and I mean a lot of casting, I had a buisness selling reloaded ammo to local police depts, casting tons of bullets. When the army had of shortage of 45s in the 80s I cast and loaded tons of 45s for my AKNG pistol teams.

I still cast, for all my pistols and most of my rifles. As I have gotten older, at the enchouragement of my family I do my twice yearly phyical, and they check everying, including heavy metals in my system.

I've heard these stories, so has my wife, so she insist they check for the heavy metals. They have never found any excess of heavy metals, including lead in my system.

I think its just more BS to worry about, another ploy to bitch about shooting.

I have heard, dont know for sure, I'm not a chemist, but I heard the vapors from lead casting doesnt exist unless the temp gets over 1000 degress, I dont cast that hot, so I dont know.

Believe what you want, I'll believe my doctors and keep on casting and shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard, dont know for sure, I'm not a chemist, but I heard the vapors from lead casting doesnt exist unless the temp gets over 1000 degress, I dont cast that hot, so I dont know.</div></div>

IIRC it's over 1100 degrees. I get the frosted look if I get over about 675.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been casting bullets since the early 70s, and I mean a lot of casting, I had a buisness selling reloaded ammo to local police depts, casting tons of bullets. When the army had of shortage of 45s in the 80s I cast and loaded tons of 45s for my AKNG pistol teams.

I still cast, for all my pistols and most of my rifles. As I have gotten older, at the enchouragement of my family I do my twice yearly phyical, and they check everying, including heavy metals in my system.

I've heard these stories, so has my wife, so she insist they check for the heavy metals. They have never found any excess of heavy metals, including lead in my system.

I think its just more BS to worry about, another ploy to bitch about shooting.

I have heard, dont know for sure, I'm not a chemist, but I heard the vapors from lead casting doesnt exist unless the temp gets over 1000 degress, I dont cast that hot, so I dont know.

Believe what you want, I'll believe my doctors and keep on casting and shooting.

</div></div>

I am with you Kraig. I just read the thread and it made me a little uneasy is all. What is involved in being checked for heavy metals?

We appreciate all the comments, warnings, and suggestions that are being offered here. As to that, we also are aware of certain dangers and protections that are paramount.

Not saying that we have it ALL covered, which is part of the reason for this dialogue.

But the other half of the reason for bringing this up, and doing so here, is how cool is this? To be given two automated bullet-making machines by my wife. And she wants to run them. Now tell me that's not a momentous occasion. We'll be getting them up and running as we are able to. There are still other obstacles and whatnot that need to be dealt with, for sure. But we're off to a great start.

I'm proud of my wife, and even moreso, Thankful to God for bringing her into my life.

PPE for known dangers can be arranged for. Neither of us are "knowing" everything, so that too is what we are inquiring about.

That, and on the off chance that anyone else here has some dies for this machine, or any other parts. Gotta start asking, and here is a good place to start. Quite the eclectic crowd here.

When I used to have my 1858 Army revolver, casting the round balls was probably even more fun than actually shooting the gun. My dad gave me this huge spool of 50/50 solder and WOW! That made for some hard balls. It took a bit of upper arm strength to seat the balls over each chamber charge, but I got the hang of it. I still have the .451 ball mold and hopefully it will come into service again.

Lotsa BS out there about harmful effects of casting your own.
    We don`t even approach the temperatures needed to create a hazard as mentioned.
    What does need full attention when casting is that moisture in any form can and will cause a "Tinsel Fairy" moment.

You`ll likely never forget it...
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lotsa BS out there about harmful effects of casting your own.
    We don`t even approach the temperatures needed to create a hazard as mentioned.
    What does need full attention when casting is that moisture in any form can and will cause a "Tinsel Fairy" moment.

You`ll likely never forget it...
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

Got a scar on my cheek from making my own as a kid for a slingshot. Cooked it on a Coleman stove in a pan and didn't get all the water off the mold. I know but I didn't have a dipper.