• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet crimp for gas gun

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

OVER....
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
BF East Texas
Is .004 enough? Did a search nothing turned up.
Not looking for ultimate acuracy for this round just a normal crimp.
Rifle is a 30 yr old Colt CAR 1/12 twist .223
Bullets are 55gn FMJ BT with cannalure (sp?)

Thanks
JW
First post btw... been lurking a while tho.

Re: Bullet crimp for gas gun

Get and use a Lee Factory Crimp die. Works great and you can exactly control the amount of crimp without buckling the case body.

Is the Lee Factory Crimp die an extra step... Used after the seating die?

Sorry for the sidetrack.

Yes, another die, another step. My seating die will crimp also but have not tried that yet.
For some reason I allways do things the non-easy way...

Your seating die should give you all the crimp you need. I load in 7.62 for an M21, an L1a1, and a GAP M40a3. I don't change crimps for any of them, just a light neck crimp. At the risk of starting an argument, it's my belief that a heavy crimp does nothing more than cause early case neck failure in reloaded brass.
Unless you're exposing your ammo to truly brutal conditions, there is no need for a heavy crimp, even in auto rifles.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure many disagree.

Regards,

Mike

I reload 223, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06, 7mm mag, and 300 win mag; semi-autos and bolt action rifles. I don't crimp any of them. Neck tension is enough to maintain the seated depth in the semi's and in the magazines of the mags. The only rounds I crimp are large revolver rounds. Crimp is good for tube fed rounds, large revolver rounds, and military belt fed rounds. It's overkill and usually adverse to desired results in all other respects. Try chambering a few dummy rounds without crimp before going through the extra trouble of crimping the rounds.

Thanks guys..
I just ckd some rem factory loads and they are crimped .005.
Tried some light crimp (.003) loads the other day and the groups seemed to open up compared to the heavier crimp from my first reloads, but could have been me..
I will try some no crimp loads and see.
I do not crimp my .308 loads for the 5r and it is happy with most anything I feed it...This old AR on the other hand