• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II Rifle Scopes

HairyDemon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2013
San Antonio, TX
SWFA Riflescopes Burris Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II Rifle Scopes

Pretty Excited about the new offerings, features, price point coming From burris. I thought I read another thread said that burris and Steiner are somehow connected. Any word on glass for these beasts? I have been very please with my Burris MTAC 1-4 for the price. They have all the cool kid features, Mil/Mil ( No more mil/ballistic crap), Exposed turrets, 34mm tubes, and I like that XTR 5.56 retical. They are a little on the heavy side but I am willing to add a few ounces of pain to keep a few ounces in my wallet.

I know they are new but has anyone got their dick skinners on these things yet or better yet shot one?

-Hairy

If you are happy with scopes made in the Philippines, you should be happy with these.
It is a VERY nice feature set.
I will wait till they have been out for a while.

Since it seems like every year more and more $3000 dollar scopes hit the market, it's nice to have a cost alternative. Not all my rifles need a $3000 scope. It would be nice but funds are not there. I'm just waiting for the madness to stop. I remember years ago I you had a PM2 SB you had "The Scope". There was only a handful like 2-3 scopes that hit the 3k mark. Now there's a good dozen of not more. With the intro of the 5-6k SB ill be looking more into the 1-2k line like the Burris and Bushnell line.

Agreed,

If the glass is on par and the scope tracks I can live with it being heavy or turrets not as loud and crisp or missing zero stop. Price point is right where I want to be.

Like I said before, that Burris MTAC 1-4 is probably one of the best scopes I have bought for 300$, just wish retical wasnt so bulky. It is not meant for precision shooting though. I will keep my eye out.

Wow just saw the price for the 2.5-10x42 on SWFA, they want 800$. That is a fantastic price for side focus, they are really trying to pull from Vortex. If the new 1-5 has as forgiving of an eye box as the MTAC at 1x I am all over the new 1-5 with the improved retical. I really dont care about daylight visible. I dont do much run/gun stuff with the rifle I put would it on.

Agreed,

If the glass is on par and the scope tracks I can live with it being heavy or turrets not as loud and crisp or missing zero stop. Price point is right where I want to be.

Like I said before, that Burris MTAC 1-4 is probably one of the best scopes I have bought for 300$, just wish retical wasnt so bulky. It is not meant for precision shooting though. I will keep my eye out.

The XTR II has a zero stop. Sounds like a nice one also compared to the PST line from Vortex.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Never played with the Vortex Line of ZS but I never heard rave reviews about the Shim system, just seemed like a poor mans version. I know I loved a proper functioning ZS like what NF has. I really am tempted to try and save up some cash for one of those 2.5-10s for the AR308. But I am torn because that build is a long way off, might get more use out of a 1-5 on an AR, too many builds at once. Need ARP to bring thier 6.8 barrels back in stock!

I agree, poor mans version was my thought as well. The PST line is considerably cheaper though. I was actually looking at the 6-24x50 version of d viper hs-t that is coming out. Just a PST without the illuminated rericle and $130 cheaper. I would like to play with the Burris first though. My only hang up is I can buy the hs-t and a leica 1600b for the price of the burris... Decisions decisions

Played with them at Shot and they seem GTG. Mechanically seems very well made, glass was nice and for the price point I am sure they will sell. My only concern is what Fdkay already brought up, made in the PI. But they will be going toe to toe with the Vortex PST line and now the consumer has yet another option.

Sully

I heard the knob on the 2.5-10 suck ass. Your thoughts?

The knobs on all of them were decent but I guess we will have to see how the actual production scopes are. Not hard tactile and very audible clocks that you would expect from scopes costing more though. I wouldn't call them mushy or sucking ass but don't expect more than you should in a scope in this price range and you won't be disappointed.

Thanks Rob. Are the clicks comparable to a pst, hdmr, razor, steiner?

I would say PST area. Not as good as Steiner or Razors.

Can someone just say these things are total junk so I can save myself $500 and just go buy a SFP viper PST....

Can someone just say these things are total junk so I can save myself $500 and just go buy a SFP viper PST....
It seems that a lot of people seem to WANT them to be junk. I don't quite understand that. It will be interesting to see some field reports, but the initial reports from those who have actually handled them (very few people), seem to suggest otherwise.

I'm actually hoping they are great! It does seem like a LOT of people want/expect them to fail. It seems those are the ones that actively use $4000 scope though. I'm looking at the 5-25x50 for the rifle I'm currently building and even that is priced over what I can afford after dropping a bunch of $$ into the rifle. I was looking at the Viper hs-t in 6-24x50 that vortex is releasing because its SFP and no Illuminated reticle. I just can't decide if I need those options. I really would like to compare them side by side before spending double on the Burris. I can almost buy the Leica 1600b for the additional cost of the Burris but I am extremely happy with the Burris scopes I have now.

Somewhat reminiscent of the HDMR's debut..."no way I'm paying a grand for a *Bushnell*!"

I don't like the reticle options. That's enough reason for me to go Viper.

Somewhat reminiscent of the HDMR's debut..."no way I'm paying a grand for a *Bushnell*!"

Yay I remember that and I was one of them that said it. But now I own one and im happy. In fact everyone I know of who said that also now owns one. Ill give the Burris benefit of doubt

If you're happy with SFP you should go buy a closeout deal on a gen 1 XTR... made in the USA scopes with really good glass, if somewhat dated overall design.

This seems like the perfect optic for the tacti-cool poser that can't afford the NF ATACR. I'm sure I'll see a bunch a top aac-sd's at the 50yd line.

Not everyone can afford to be an elitest.... Or high end optics. That hardly makes us posers..

I completely agree. Just wanna give this burris a fair shake before I declare that it's junk.

Tikka260;

So, your opinion is that all MS silhouette shooters, who mostly top their rifles with $400 - 600 scopes, have junk on top of their rigs? The silhouetters don't need a $4000 3ibs boat anchor on top of their rig to zero their rifle at range like most bipod shooters need :) The $400 - 600 scopes works just fine. I'll bet that at least 90% of all shooters are not limited by a $1000 scope in competitions.

Last edited:
Tactical scopes within a couple hundred bucks either way of XTR II's supposed street prices:

SWFA 3-15/5-20
Weaver Tactical FFPs
Vortex PST FFP
Bushnell Elite Tactical FFP
Sightron SIII FFP
Bushnell HDMR
(maybe a couple others I forget)

This competition isn't a secret, and is pretty well established in this segment of the marketplace. Since they aren't grossly undercutting price, Burris would need to provide an optic at least on par with these offerings.

I for one look forward to a formal review and comparison with some of the scopes listed above, as I want Burris to be successful as another successful maker in the "don't have to sell a kidney" price point is good for the consumer.

Tactical scopes within a couple hundred bucks either way of XTR II's supposed street prices:

SWFA 3-15/5-20
Weaver Tactical FFPs
Vortex PST FFP
Bushnell Elite Tactical FFP
Sightron SIII FFP
Bushnell HDMR
(maybe a couple others I forget)

This competition isn't a secret, and is pretty well established in this segment of the marketplace. Since they aren't grossly undercutting price, Burris would need to provide an optic at least on par with these offerings.

I for one look forward to a formal review and comparison with some of the scopes listed above, as I want Burris to be successful as another successful maker in the "don't have to sell a kidney" price point is good for the consumer.

With the choices listed above, I'm not sure why anyone would entertain the purchase of this Filipino made Nightforce knockoff. has this company no shame? Going from a USA made product to a third-world produced, deliberate aesthetic copy of a nightforce. Some of you going to run out a buy a fake tag huer with the money you saved on this pos?

With the choices listed above, I'm not sure why anyone would entertain the purchase of this Filipino made Nightforce knockoff. has this company no shame? Going from a USA made product to a third-world produced, deliberate aesthetic copy of a nightforce. Some of you going to run out a buy a fake tag huer with the money you saved on this pos?

So have you personally handled one and come to this conclusion...or have you come to it based on the country of origin and external appearance?

I did a little test for myself last night on how turrets "feel" I checked my three better scopes (don't laugh)
Burris signature select 6-24x44
Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40
Millet 6-25x56
honestly the Burris (most expensive) has the mushiest turrets out of the three but the best glass and return to zero out of them all.
the Nikon Buckmaster was a little better than the burris but the Millet has the best feeling clicks. Very crisp when compared to the rest. If the Burris XTR II has clicks that feel relative to the millet I own than I would be very happy. The millet is a decent scope for what I paid for it but it does have it's issues. Turret caps are stripped, Parallax adjustment is very stiff etc..
It's hard for some of us to gauge what bad turrets feel like. It seems most that have a problem with the feel are comparing them to turrets on scope that are 3 times the cost.

This seems like the perfect optic for the tacti-cool poser that can't afford the NF ATACR. I'm sure I'll see a bunch a top aac-sd's at the 50yd line.

So, you are saying that those who can not afford a $3000 scope is a poser?

Posers are generally those who flash the cash, but can not seal the deal.

Tikka260

Just because someone opts to purchase a 1100 dollar scope instead of a 2300-5k dollar scope doesn't make them a poser. Most or if not all the high end scopes are built outside this country. If they do what there advertised to do like, track correctly and hold up, I don't see a problem with them. If they don't then they will fail. I don't see how someone could give an opinion on something without even handling one. I think a poser is someone that goes out and buys the "best" and never learns how to use it properly, yet shows it off to everyone but doesn't know how to use it.

With a name like Tikka260, im sure you would find offense if someone said, "Well your a poser that bought a Tikka because he couldn't afford a Sako TRG"

With how everything is now, the shooting community should try to stick together. To demean or degrade someones equipment cause they simply cannot afford $3000.00 scopes is just absolutely wrong.

Depending on the model Nightforce scopes are either made in Japan, or assembled in the USA with a significant portion of Japan components. I'm not knocking them - I have an NXS and love it - but they are not made from entirely US parts, and some are predominantly Japan parts. The Philippines isn't really a third world country today, like Botswana or Rwanda would be... much more comparable to Korea or the more developed parts of China. They are quite capable of making decent stuff. And Vortex has stated that PST glass and internals come from Japan, so it's not a stretch to think that Burris might source parts from Japan and assemble in Philippines... that doesn't turn one of these into a Nightforce, but to say it's like US-made vs. Third World is rather silly.

As for posers and such... this isn't CounterSniper crap or some $50 Chinese "scope" that probably has plastic lenses and mud gears. I would judge poser based on (1) what is the person claiming to be, and (2) how can they shoot. If someone claims to be a competitive shooter (civilian) and shoots 590-20X match scores using one of these, they aren't a "poser" in my view! If someone claims to be a Space Shuttle Door Gunner and can't hit a 10" bull at 25 yards while using a $4000 rifle + $3000 scope, well to me that is a poser, even if they spent $$$ on nice gear. At various competitions I've beaten people with equipment costing three times what mine cost, and lost to people using equipment worth 1/4 what mine cost... skill matters.

Last edited:
Tikka260

Just because someone opts to purchase a 1100 dollar scope instead of a 2300-5k dollar scope doesn't make them a poser. Most or if not all the high end scopes are built outside this country. If they do what there advertised to do like, track correctly and hold up, I don't see a problem with them. If they don't then they will fail. I don't see how someone could give an opinion on something without even handling one. I think a poser is someone that goes out and buys the "best" and never learns how to use it properly, yet shows it off to everyone but doesn't know how to use it.

With a name like Tikka260, im sure you would find offense if someone said, "Well your a poser that bought a Tikka because he couldn't afford a Sako TRG"

With how everything is now, the shooting community should try to stick together. To demean or degrade someones equipment cause they simply cannot afford $3000.00 scopes is just absolutely wrong.

Burris commissioned this scope to look like a nightforce to appeal to posers. We absolutely should stick together as a community and send the message to these companies, such as Burris, to shove their overpriced Filipino junk up their ass. Buy a dmr or an hdmr if you want a decent 34mm, ffp scope with original features and styling, support a company that gets it.....fuck the junk.

I think it actually looks more like a Steiner scope than a Nightforce, but then doesn't Burris own Steiner? So they should look familiar.

A "poser," by your definition, does not spend close to a thousand bucks on a scope. Period. Call it what you want, but optics companies are the business of making money, and a quality optic with a certain "look" sells. I do see a NF resemblance, but no more so than a variety of other optics. There are only so many ways a black tube filled with glass and gas can be made. Who care what it looks like, as long as it performs, and is of quality manufacture?

For me, the "poser" label is far more fitting to those with 2k+ in glass, and who look down, sneer at, or otherwise denigrate those who do not have the same. This attitude is present in every single facet of the firearms world, from the long range world, to IDPA, to trap and skeet. This attitude largely centers around competition shooters, and their need to make them and their game seem relevant. For me, I carry a gun for a living, and demand quality and performance in that area. On my other guns, like my rifles, I have no need to spend two large on a scope, as ringing steel at 1k yards simply doesnt require it. I can spend that money, I simply choose not to.

I did a little test for myself last night on how turrets "feel" I checked my three better scopes (don't laugh)
Burris signature select 6-24x44
Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40
Millet 6-25x56
honestly the Burris (most expensive) has the mushiest turrets out of the three but the best glass and return to zero out of them all.
the Nikon Buckmaster was a little better than the burris but the Millet has the best feeling clicks. Very crisp when compared to the rest. If the Burris XTR II has clicks that feel relative to the millet I own than I would be very happy. The millet is a decent scope for what I paid for it but it does have it's issues. Turret caps are stripped, Parallax adjustment is very stiff etc..
It's hard for some of us to gauge what bad turrets feel like. It seems most that have a problem with the feel are comparing them to turrets on scope that are 3 times the cost.
No offense intended, but you're talking about scopes that are a fraction of the price of the XTR II and not really in the same league in terms of features, or their intended market. All of the info I've seen on the XTR II, from people who have actually handled/used them, has been positive. I still don't understand the psychological issues/motivations of people who insist that something is junk when they have absolutely zero experience with it. At least, if the scope had been out and in use long enough for enough people to come to that conclusion, I could see the clueless ones drawing from those experiences to spread the word. At this point, we don't even have that! Man, would I feel like an idiot if it came to be that it was one of the best things out there for the money but I had bashed on it without ever having used one (kind of like a lot of people who have been very quiet since they bashed Bushnell's "junk" and it ended up being used by some of the top shooters in the country to place high in, or win matches). I think that if it was required to think before you typed, this site would only have half the members that it does.

Last edited:
Burris was proud enough of this scope to actually bring it to range day and let me dial it out to 960yds. I've been wrong before, but at first blush I like it. Actually, this was one of the most exciting new optical products that I tried this year. I just don't expect $1,200 to deliver ffp, zero stop turrets, a gen II-ish mil dot reticle, illumination on the parallax knob, and optics that look fine when standing alone. It's true that I didn't spend a lot of time looking for aberrations trying to stress the thing out, and I didn't get to compare it to other products side by side. I did get to ring the steel at a variety of ranges with no issues though. I think its worth having one sent over for review this year and I don't bring scopes in to review that I think are just going to waste my time.

I remember my impression of going through the process of checking this feature and that feature and shooting at this range and than that range. Things seemed to be in order, it did what it was supposed to and I was thinking, ok, meh. Than I asked the price and went from meh to excuse me. What I thought was very boring at the $2k price I was imagining became very compelling at $1,200.

Shooting the Burris XTR II 4-20x

Through the Burris XTR II 4-20x at 960 yards

Do you actually shoot or just type alot????

Dino

Burris commissioned this scope to look like a nightforce to appeal to posers. We absolutely should stick together as a community and send the message to these companies, such as Burris, to shove their overpriced Filipino junk up their ass. Buy a dmr or an hdmr if you want a decent 34mm, ffp scope with original features and styling, support a company that gets it.....fuck the junk.

Burris was proud enough of this scope to actually bring it to range day and let me dial it out to 960yds. I've been wrong before, but at first blush I like it. Actually, this was one of the most exciting new optical products that I tried this year. I just don't expect $1,200 to deliver ffp, zero stop turrets, a gen II-ish mil dot reticle, illumination on the parallax knob, and optics that look fine when standing alone. It's true that I didn't spend a lot of time looking for aberrations trying to stress the thing out, and I didn't get to compare it to other products side by side. I did get to ring the steel at a variety of ranges with no issues though. I think its worth having one sent over for review this year and I don't bring scopes in to review that I think are just going to waste my time.

I remember my impression of going through the process of checking this feature and that feature and shooting at this range and than that range. Things seemed to be in order, it did what it was supposed to and I was thinking, ok, meh. Than I asked the price and went from meh to excuse me. What I thought was very boring at the $2k price I was imagining became very compelling at $1,200.

Shooting the Burris XTR II 4-20x

Through the Burris XTR II 4-20x at 960 yards

Holy crap thats a huge gong lol

Did they say why they put a craptacular reticle in the 1-8? Makes no sense to offer a regularish subtension reticle in theb1-5 then in the nice low power scope they put the gimmicky BDC reticle. If everything checks out on these thats the one I'd be interested but not with that reticle.