• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II Rifle Scopes

I'm about to get the 8-40. I was sure it would be hard to find but its pretty plentiful. I call one retailer and he didn't even know they came out with that power and said it was no problem making the other for me. I got a $225 gift card and bonus so its a free scope :cool:

I'm not trying to start an arguement, but these scopes are barely even showing up in stores yet people are plunking down $1200 for them. Then when I read a few reports of mushy turrets, it makes me skeptical. The original XTR's were dogcrap, so not sure why the new ones are so sought after already. I'll admit, I am interested in hearing positive feedback. If they really are the real deal, but for $500 less than the competition, then sign me up.
Know one thing, there is three 6x24 XTR's that I know and they are great, not dogcrap. My two friends love theirs. Been doing 500, 1,000 yards and even a one mile shoots. By the way my turrets aren't mushy.

Scott at Liberty came through for me on my long awaited 4-20! Got it mounted up and looking forward putting it through its paces. I am quite pleased at the quality for the price and feel that it is a good value.

I received my xtrII 5-25x50 yesterday! I am going to give my attempt at a review even though I consider myself a "long range rookie" at best. I have never had the privilege of shooting behind any type of high end optic. My nicest scopes to this point are a Nikon Buckmaster and a Burris signature select lol. I have fondled the viper pst. I am extremely happy with this purchase so far. I played with it quite a bit yesterday evening and today outside comparing it to my signature select. The clicks are noticeably better. I wouldn't call them mushy as others have. They aren't HARD clicks but they are very tactile and position perfectly every time. The illuminated reticle on high is plenty bright with a great adjustment range. All other controls (power, illumination parallax) are very nice as well. The one feature I am very impressed with is one I wasn't expecting and that's the eye relief. My Sig Select has a similar advertised eye relief but I really have to crawl into it on 24x. The xtrII has a great amount of eye relief and from what I can tell stays consistent as the power increases. All I can say about the glass is to my untrained eye it's incredible. In the evening it was considerably more clear than the sig select. All in all I am very happy with it! I'll know more when my rifle is finished and I can start putting it through its paces.

I'm looking at the 1-5 for a duty rifle . Can anyone provide thoughts on the 1-5? Also considering another NF 1-4 FC2.
Thanks.

I have spent some time with the 8-40 and ran it through a few tests, figured I would give the feedback..

did a tracking test and the set up I am running allowed for 33 moa of adjustment up and was verified at 5 moa intervals through 30 moa repeatedly

windage verified to 10 moa in either direction in 2.5 moa increments

also compared the reticle to a scale set at 100 yards and it matches nicely

as for optical quality I have no scientific test but I can say that it is possible to watch a bird adjusting his feathers at 540 yards and actually be able to tell that's what he was doing.. hows that for a scientific test? lol

now a few hundred rounds into the scope and I am happy.. have no complaints and will be buying another if they make a moa version of the 5-25

turrets are functional and unless you are shooting in a battle field you should be able to make the adjustments without looking, if you need to verify the turret markings are easily distinguished in my opinion though

zero stop is simple to reset and impossible to miss zero once set

the only part of this box I was unhappy with was the little flip caps they send with it.. need to get a real set of covers to put on the optic

i called burris about a month ago to inquire about a LE/MIL discount, and they said they don't give one anymore?

I asked about their LEO discount and received an email with an order form. If you want, shoot me a PM from your agency or MIL email and I'll forward it to you.

I remember that the Viper PST had pretty good feeling turrets. I don't remember anything about the feel of the XTR II turrets. That is probably not a bad thing. If they felt terrible I would probably remember it.

As for the origin, the more you learn, the more you realize this is truly meaningless. Companies can move equipment and expertise wherever taxes, labor costs, and regulations are friendly (and this means basically anywhere but the U.S.). For example, Nikon now produces many high end Nikkor lenses and most of the premier line in Chinese facilities and the quality has not suffered. The story of many of these optics when it comes to glass, components, design, and assembly is so convoluted that it makes my head hurt. I have heard rumors that OEM's sometimes even subcontract to other OEM's without the brand knowing it resulting in a situation where there is literally no one person who knows who is responsible for every part of the manufacture. It kind of reminds me of the electronics industry in that way. Really, at that point it comes down to the brand to police the end product. I can't say it is a situation that I find ideal, or even one that I think would naturally occur outside of the effect of national and local politics over a myriad of nationalities on localities, but I think that is is more or less the way things are today if you want to produce a product that is very price competitive for the quality offered.

Exactly!!! The workings of many companies subbing out work behind closed doors is more prevalent now that ever before. None of us will ever know ever know where all the parts in our scopes come from.

This scope (Burris XTR II) is a lot of bang for your buck!

Cheers,

George

I recently purchased a Burris XTRII 3x15x50 from CSTactical and put it side by side on an indoor, upstairs window, elevated stand with my Bushnell HDMR 3.5x21x50 h59 scope.

The target was a barn at 650 yards, and the temperature was about 100 degrees; so there was a bit of heat waves at times over a plowed field.

I then watched it periodically from 5pm to after 9pm; when it got too dark. The Burris was dialed up to max 15x while the Bushnell was dialed down to 15x.

The Burris had more forgiving eyerelief

The Bushnell seemed to be brighter....not sure if the exit pupil is larger on the Bushnell, but it seemed to have a larger picture. The Bush was dialed down from 21 to 15; so perhaps that was the reason. I almost felt that I was looking through a 30mm scope with the Burris and a 34mm scope with the Bushnell. Yet both are 34mm and 50mm at the objective.

The Bushnell was a tiny bit clearer....if I rated the Bushy a 10 the Burris would be a 9. It could be the brightness factor, but I dialed in on some weeds and I could see the individual weeds a tiny bit better with the Bushy.

The Burris was lighter weight

When it started getting dark both scopes were about equal in brightness. I was a bit surprised at this

The Burris reticle was easier to see at dusk moving into dark. The Burris had illumination but I did not turn it on during this test. The H59 reticle is a bit thin going into the dark; and the Bushy does not illuminate.

If I were using the scope in low light I would pick the Burris, even if it did not come with illuminated reticle. You just had more practical reticle to work with in the dark than the H59. The other Bushnell reticle-G2 would have been closer to the Burris. In fact I would love the Bush G2 reticle in the Burris; but alas....

The clicks were good with Burris; not as crisp as others but good. Not mushy like some Leupolds I have had.

Illumination is the full reticle and you can dial it down to not hurt your night vision

The Burris is about an inch longer than the Bushnell

I used to own a Vortex 4x16 which I sold because I did not like the clarity. The ARD and flip up scope cover for that scope fit nicely on my Burris. Same for the eyepiece. I like the vortex flip ups a LOT better than the new Butler Creeks. I am told that you can get real Tenebraex ARD (the 2 inch long one) that will fit this scope (Steiner sizing). I will check around.

Based upon the test I decided to sell the Bushnell and get another Burris. I think that the Bushnell is a "slightly" better scope but the lighter weight and illumination make up the difference my mind. I also like the idea of having the same scope on my AR15 SPR and Bolt Rifle; although I may get the 4x20 Burris for my Bolt as it weighs the same and is only a half inch longer.

A more proper test would be the Bushnell versus the 4x20 Burris because I am pretty sure that some of the brighter viewing with the Bushnell was due to it being dialed down to 15x versus the Burris being maxed out at 15x.

I love the Bushnell on the bench...because it is clear and bright and you can dial it all the way up to see 223 hits at 300 yard targets....but in the field, it is a heavy bugger. It feels a lot heavier than the 2-3 oz the specs have it over the Burris.

Last edited:
Serious answer....assuming basic tenet #1 of running a business is making a profit, we "won't" sell the 3-15x as cheap as the aforementioned price above because we "can't" do so and meet basic tenet #1. Given what we try to do for our clients for the last 11 years, when I say "can't" that is exactly what it means. Anything else?

Serious question, "can't" or "won't"?

I didn't know if Burris had a required minimum price such as Leupold. I worked for a company that had a rule that dealers could sell for any price they wanted, but could only advertise at the predetermined price.

Picked up a 8-40x50 and from what im seeing looks clear and focused all the way to 40x. If it tracks should be a winner.
Had a NF 42x benchrest a ways back and optics are not far off on the Burris.
Need to pick up rings or a mount but need lower rings then I had.
Shooting F-TR class so any suggestions on Accuracy international AT?

Rolled into a shop on the way home from a work trip and they had the 4-20 in stock. They also had a PST 6-24. They let me go outside and compare side by side. Obviously not a perfect test, but here's my take. Based on my current budget, I'm an admitted Vortex fan boy.

Burris - better glass.
Burris - better eye box - surprisingly easier to get a full picture. I'm sure 20x vs 24x had something to do with it. I still noticed it a bit when I dialed the PST down.
Illum - PST, burris could not be seen outside at all. PST was dim, but visible.
Turrets - PST, hands down. I was surprised at the Burris. It was easy to miss clicks. It felt like they were rounded valleys compared to square cliffs on the PST if that makes sense.

I would say it depends on your use which I would pick.

Just got the 2-10 mounted up on the new 6.5PCC AR-15. Perfect match for this AR and what I want to do with it. Still in load development for this wildcat, but with my base load, it was silly easy to get it all dialed in. I tried a few drills...6" target at 100, 300 and 500 meters, out and back, 5 shots, dialing for each shot. It was easy and I had no mental pauses. Repeated it several times with times between 20 and 25 seconds.

I actually much prefer the XTRII turrets to the PST turrets...must be a preference thing.

I have been testing out a 3-15 and 5-25 for the last few weeks and the scopes have been stellar. I recently shot the PTS match with the 5-25 and it worked/tracked perfectly (now if I had some actual time behind my rifle I might of actually done better). I dialed the scope all over the place for 2 days straight and in the last stage I had to dial 8 mils and made 3 hits in a row at 1085 so I am confident that it tracks perfectly. I am going to go back to my Steiner 5-25 since the glass is noticeably better, especially at 600 yards and beyond. These scopes are so much better than any Vortex PST it isn't even comparable, the glass is better and the knobs are crisp and track perfectly. For someone who wants to get into the sport and is limited on funds I highly recommend these scopes.

I'm testing one out and so far I really like it. The reticle is a little think.

10525905_768269443215571_2186290414608533730_n.jpg

148605_768269466548902_8930644633000350521_n.jpg

What scope mount are you running on that nice looking AR? How much clearance are you getting, if you don't mind me asking CS.. I am seriously looking to get one of these soon for my AR build and had been checking out mounts as well..

What scope mount are you running on that nice looking AR? How much clearance are you getting, if you don't mind me asking CS.. I am seriously looking to get one of these soon for my AR build and had been checking out mounts as well..

There is not a lot of room, I'm thinking of changing the setup.

Ring APA and base Badger 22moa.

10509703_768269506548898_3714942220422495551_n.jpg

Yeah man, that is close... How well do you think an American Defense Recon 20moa mount would fit? Or do you have any experience with them. I really like the looks of it but not sure of the fit on a flat top with a 50mm objective.

I've been running the 1-5 XTR II for a few months now. I shot the World 3Gun Championship with it last week and found it did everything I needed, hitting small targets from contact distance to 500 yards. Mine has the Ballistic 5.56 Gen 3 reticle which I found works well. I used a 250 yard zero on the main dot which translates to holding the dot at the top of the target for 300, using the second larger dot at 400 and the bottom of the 500 marked crosshair for 500. The illumination is most certainly daylight visible. Overall a fantastic scope especially when considering the price.
10443005_757347084306980_5619921216072319510_o.jpg

ok guys, ive had my 5x25 for a while now and feel safe about a mini review. from 1200yds to 100, it keeps pace with my mk4lrt. clarity actually goes to the burris. lowlight burris, clicks-mk4. I am very happy with it. I have dialed out to 1200 and back to 200. zero was true. took her out for a shoot this past Saturday and me and a buddy dialed out, adjusted windage, and played on targets from 440-1078yds. she never let me down. the only two things they could improve on to me is the clicks could be more tactile {sometimes I wonder if im truly on my click it has a little extra movement between clicks} and I wish the reticle was a bit thinner. but for 1200, I cant complain!!! great scope. well worth the money.

I apologize if I missed it, but has the new MIL reticle been released yet or is everyone still waiting? Thanks guys, looks like a great line of scopes!

Ben

No worries, how would you rate the scope so far with tracking etc, have you done any box testing or anything?

I did some testing that measured out spot on with the 8-40 model

I have spent some time with the 8-40 and ran it through a few tests, figured I would give the feedback..

did a tracking test and the set up I am running allowed for 33 moa of adjustment up and was verified at 5 moa intervals through 30 moa repeatedly

windage verified to 10 moa in either direction in 2.5 moa increments

also compared the reticle to a scale set at 100 yards and it matches nicely

as for optical quality I have no scientific test but I can say that it is possible to watch a bird adjusting his feathers at 540 yards and actually be able to tell that's what he was doing.. hows that for a scientific test? lol

now a few hundred rounds into the scope and I am happy.. have no complaints and will be buying another if they make a moa version of the 5-25

turrets are functional and unless you are shooting in a battle field you should be able to make the adjustments without looking, if you need to verify the turret markings are easily distinguished in my opinion though

zero stop is simple to reset and impossible to miss zero once set

the only part of this box I was unhappy with was the little flip caps they send with it.. need to get a real set of covers to put on the optic

I did some testing that measured out spot on with the 8-40 model

Cheers mate, I saw your evaluation, just wanting some more opinions i guess :) They're at that price point where it's nearly too good to be true.

Just need to find someone who will ship to Aus.

For those that have experience with the XTR II and Vortex Razor HD gen1, is the razor worth the extra 700?

For those that have experience with the XTR II and Vortex Razor HD gen1, is the razor worth the extra 700?

Not for my primary use (3gun) in my opinion. But its a highly personal choice.