• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II Rifle Scopes

Not for my primary use (3gun) in my opinion. But its a highly personal choice.

I have the XTR 1-4 on my ar and its a pretty nice piece.

Im really considering on the 5-25x50 for my FN Spr. I dont compete, just the occasional 600y-1000y.

Im trying to justify the extra cost of the gen 1 Razor HD.

I've searched exhaustively but cant find the answer: Can anyone tell me the minimum focus distance for these scopes? In particular the 2-10 x 42 and the 4-20 x 50.

I have spent some time with the 8-40 and ran it through a few tests, figured I would give the feedback..

did a tracking test and the set up I am running allowed for 33 moa of adjustment up and was verified at 5 moa intervals through 30 moa repeatedly

windage verified to 10 moa in either direction in 2.5 moa increments

also compared the reticle to a scale set at 100 yards and it matches nicely

as for optical quality I have no scientific test but I can say that it is possible to watch a bird adjusting his feathers at 540 yards and actually be able to tell that's what he was doing.. hows that for a scientific test? lol

now a few hundred rounds into the scope and I am happy.. have no complaints and will be buying another if they make a moa version of the 5-25

turrets are functional and unless you are shooting in a battle field you should be able to make the adjustments without looking, if you need to verify the turret markings are easily distinguished in my opinion though

zero stop is simple to reset and impossible to miss zero once set

the only part of this box I was unhappy with was the little flip caps they send with it.. need to get a real set of covers to put on the optic

Did you ever compared the quality of the glass with other known manufacturers? I am just wondering how clear is the picture compared with an ED/HD glass? Also on 40x are the reticles covering the target?

Did you ever compared the quality of the glass with other known manufacturers? I am just wondering how clear is the picture compared with an ED/HD glass? Also on 40x are the reticles covering the target?

Only thing I really set side by side with it so far was a Zeiss diavari and I can assure you it's not in the same category with that one when it comes to low light situations... But as I said I have no scientific test for glass quality..

And I guess the target size would dictate if there would be an issue... I can throw up some pics through the scope to show targets at distance... But the optic quality can't be judged by this only the reticle scale because the picture is at the mercy of my camera more than the optic

Only thing I really set side by side with it so far was a Zeiss diavari and I can assure you it's not in the same category with that one when it comes to low light situations... But as I said I have no scientific test for glass quality..

And I guess the target size would dictate if there would be an issue... I can throw up some pics through the scope to show targets at distance... But the optic quality can't be judged by this only the reticle scale because the picture is at the mercy of my camera more than the optic
It would be awesome to see some pictures. I am seriously contemplating buying this scope and want to make sure I get the money worth. Above you were saying that the XTR was better then the Zeiss correct?

It would be awesome to see some pictures. I am seriously contemplating buying this scope and want to make sure I get the money worth. Above you were saying that the XTR was better then the Zeiss correct?

no the opposite actually, the diavari to my eye is easier to see in very low light. its my hunting scope for that reason..

but the 8-40 is what I am using for daytime target purposes.. and it works absolutely awesome for that

Mike, I don't know where you got the 50 yards from, but on my 2-10, focused for my eyes, is about 20 feet on 2x. The 4-20 is a bit more, I can focus on the back fence at 25 yards, have not really tried closer, but not 50 yards.

Hey Mark, Im pretty sure he was talking about the parallax.

Anyways, finally got a 3-15 and a 4-20 mounted up on my 223 and my wife's match 7mm-08. My impressions on the knobs are tight and distinct, but not tactile, if that makes sense. Almost like too much grease in them, but very easy to dial where I want them to. Also, the clarity, while not quite my Steiner 5-25, is pretty good. I compared the 3-15 to my zeiss 4-14, and in daylight, there are no differences. Will do a dusk review and comment later on that. Compared also to my SWFA 5-20. The only problem I have with the SWFA is at 18-20 power, there is a noticeable darkening while looking through the scope. Not so with the xtr2 4-20. I really liked the SWFA rect tho and because of that I almost didn't sell it, but the XTR2 will come out with the new SCR rect next year so I will sell and buy the new rect, which I feel is the cats ass. The current gen2 mil dot is usable but not for the precision work we are used to.

Also, there is a MOA version coming out, I believe early next year but don't hold me to that. Just something I remember hearing when I toured the factory.

Will do a review after the GAP Grind, as there is a monthly match (60rnds - 200-900 yards). Stay tuned!

Will be bringing my 4-20 as my backup scope to Florida next week also, if you feel like you want to check it out, let me know.

Regards,
DT

Got my 5-25 in yesterday. Just threw it in to take a peek down the tube. It looks great and feels well made. The turrets are not mushy. They have a good positive click feel. I haven't shot it yet. I'm new to rifle scopes. All own are aimpoints/eotechs/xtr1-4 Only other scope I played with is a Nightforce(buddy's).

If anyone is on the fence, get to it. Sport Optics has a few more 5-25 in stock.

Mounted in Nightforce med ultralights rings on a Fn SPR A5m 24in

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
I just got the 1-5x24 XTR II with the Ballistic CQ Mil Illuminated reticle and I just love the scope. It's clear, bright and the turrets feel great.

I am also expecting a 4-20x50 this Thursday, I'm a little bit excited about it.. The guys at CS Tactical treated me right on mine as well Steve..

The 1.5X8's are hitting the market. I got both of mine in yesterday and already put them through their paces. Nice scope...... Very nice scope.

For a 3 Gun competitor such as myself (which is the reason I bought these) this optic is very well set up. The reticle is very clean and easy to use. It's simple mil for windage, and a BDC reticle for elevation with a small illuminated horseshoe in the center. The Dual Focal Plane is genius. The illuminated horseshoe is on the second focal plane, while the reticle is FFP. The daylight bright illumination is just the right size for low power target acquisition and fast target transition. For higher powered distance shooting you can either leave the reticle illuminated, or turn it off leaving nothing but a black dot as your zero reticle. I really like the reticle.

The turrets are quite crisp and tactile. None of the soft clicks or "over-greased" feel that others have mentioned. Mine is quite the opposite. It's extremely tactile and there is no problem whatsoever in hearing and feeling every click. The Zero Stop takes only moments to set and hard stops dead on zero. Turret adjustements are .1 mrad with 9.3 mils elevation in the turret. It's not quite one full turn.

Glass is very good. Three of us could tell no difference between the Burris XTR II and the Vortex Razor 1-6 we have here in the shop. It's definitely a large scope at 12.5" and a 34mm tube. It comes in at 23ozs on the scale, only 2ozs lighter than the Razor, which is exactly what Burris says it weighs. So it's not the ideal glass for your lightweight build. But 8x magnification does move the world in a little closer and make this glass useful in a wide range of applications for the AR platform.

First impressions and first trip out has left me with nothing but positives. I haven't found anything I don't like yet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v6hJcXLr_n8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, my 8-40X50 arrived today. Its minimum focus distance is less than 30 yards - measured. Actual minimum is unknown yet.

Turrets do feel a little soft "in the hand" but I know they'll feel crisper on the rifle.

I was surprised that when illuminated, it appeared not to be. I called Burris support and spoke with their tech, who confirmed it was "as designed" but that there were a lot of complaints that it simply wasn't very bright - even on a black background, in a darkened room, at full magnification. He stressed this was an F-Class scope and against a black target, in full magnification, it was **supposed** to be exactly what was needed. I disagreed. He told me almost to a caller, that was the case and response. I asked it there was any possibility Burris would correct/upgrade that issue. He told me to send him my comments and he would insure they reached the right person and that he "wouldn't be surprised if they did something" based on the number of calls for this exact issue.

Other than that - this is some damn fine glass and I'm very pleased with what I see - again, not mounted yet. I have a set of Seekins but they may be a bit low for me. The eye box top is just a smidge lower than I want for prone. Trying to make a decision before I torque it down.

Rifle is a Sig Sauer SSG 3000 with an integrated base.

We'll see. However, at this point, I think Burris knocked it out of the park for the cost of this glass.

Thanks again Mike @ CSTactical. Awesome service, beat best price and shipped faster than expected. What's not to like!!

wish they would offer the 2-10 with the Ballistic CQ Mil Illuminated reticle in FFP. It would be my perfect setup on my 308 AR.

The 1.5X8's are hitting the market. I got both of mine in yesterday and already put them through their paces. Nice scope...... Very nice scope.

For a 3 Gun competitor such as myself (which is the reason I bought these) this optic is very well set up. The reticle is very clean and easy to use. It's simple mil for windage, and a BDC reticle for elevation with a small illuminated horseshoe in the center. The Dual Focal Plane is genius. The illuminated horseshoe is on the second focal plane, while the reticle is FFP. The daylight bright illumination is just the right size for low power target acquisition and fast target transition. For higher powered distance shooting you can either leave the reticle illuminated, or turn it off leaving nothing but a black dot as your zero reticle. I really like the reticle.

The turrets are quite crisp and tactile. None of the soft clicks or "over-greased" feel that others have mentioned. Mine is quite the opposite. It's extremely tactile and there is no problem whatsoever in hearing and feeling every click. The Zero Stop takes only moments to set and hard stops dead on zero. Turret adjustements are .1 mrad with 9.3 mils elevation in the turret. It's not quite one full turn.

Glass is very good. Three of us could tell no difference between the Burris XTR II and the Vortex Razor 1-6 we have here in the shop. It's definitely a large scope at 12.5" and a 34mm tube. It comes in at 23ozs on the scale, only 2ozs lighter than the Razor, which is exactly what Burris says it weighs. So it's not the ideal glass for your lightweight build. But 8x magnification does move the world in a little closer and make this glass useful in a wide range of applications for the AR platform.

First impressions and first trip out has left me with nothing but positives. I haven't found anything I don't like yet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v6hJcXLr_n8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not gonna lie, I think your review sealed the deal for me. Thinking hard about picking up the 1.5-8 for a 6.5G build.

Not gonna lie, I think your review sealed the deal for me. Thinking hard about picking up the 1.5-8 for a 6.5G build.

You're the second person to say that.

One of the guys at our gun shop is dishing off his 1x6 Vortex Razor with the BDC reticle (last year's scope) for this scope. He has already started wheeling and dealing on it.

This would be great glass for a Grendel. We placed an order for a JP in 6.5G this morning for a gentleman, it's 8 to 10 weeks out. That's a great little round.

I just received the 4-20x50 yesterday, very nice scope. I do think the turrets are a little mushy and not crisp. I can hear the clicks just fine, just not as tactile as the 1-8 listed above in the video.. Its the only thing I don't like about the optic so far. I haven't tried any tracking sessions yet, have to get my mount first..

Have been very interested in the 4-20x50 & 5-25x50 models since they were first announced at SHOT. Am still amazed (and somewhat disappointed) at how long it's taken Burris to get enough of these scopes out so that they're generally available, from a FFL dealer's perspective. I'm a gunsmith - don't have a storefront - but would still like to be able to offer these scopes at a reasonable price, both on builds and to established customers for existing rifles. What I'm hoping is that the non-availability is due to demand more than Burris not being able to get out a reasonable number of them.

It's been three years since I made the trip out to SHOT - feel it'd be worth the trip this coming winter just to get a look at the optical merchandise that's sure to be announced. Depending on additional choices of mil reticles for the XTR II line, I'd like to try one on my own rifles. 'Course, the same could be said about the Weaver 6-30x56 Tactical...

I've got a couple of Kahles K624i AMRs & a Bushnell ET35215GZA on my comp rifles, but still need some ffp mil/mil scopes for a 223AI trainer & a couple of other LR tactical rifles, if for no other reason than to wean myself off MOA & get more practiced and confident with mil calls. Ordered a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRMH FFP yesterday, and will be using it as time allows this fall & into the winter. I've been a satisfied SIII owner for several years, and would likely go that route for these other rifles if this FFP SIII pans out (they're $300+ under the Burris or Weaver 34mm scopes). But if Burris & Weaver both come out with nicer mil reticles, I'd be sorely tempted to get one of each for my A5 284 & A3-5 30-'06.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is grease a plenty in them.... Friend bought a 5-25... He thought it felt a bit soft...we turned them top to bottom several times and then used it and by the end of the session they felt very positive...gone was the soft feeling....
I would tell you to go use the hell out of it...

I just received the 4-20x50 yesterday, very nice scope. I do think the turrets are a little mushy and not crisp. ..

How did the scope perform as far as tracking? Like I said, I haven't got to use mine yet... I also think on high magnification the eye box is really touchy... I do hope it gets more tactile with more usage, but I don't think it will ever be like the one in the video above.. The clicks are somewhat audible, louder when turning down than up..

I got my 1.5-8 today. So far it seems really solid. The glass is nice and clear, but not as bright as my Nikon Monarch. Illumination is good; I had to point it almost straight at the sun to get it to wash out. Clicks feel good to me, but I have little experience with higher end scopes. A note for those who use BUIS: make sure the rear sight is low profile. My PSA flip up doesn't fit under the bell (barely) using the PEPR mount. I have a Troy on another rifle, and it looks like it should fit. I'm excited to take this thing out and see how it does on my new build! One more thing, Burris customer service has been great. I ordered this back in April, and they responded quickly and politely to my monthly email checking status. A lot of other companies probably would have cut me off after the first email or two.

Has anyone played with a Burris Veracity? Appears to be an XTR II with covered turrets and no illuminated recticle. I found the 5-25x50 for 720$. I need something for a Coyote/Truck 22-250. I really want a ffp but, options are limited.

I got my 1.5-8 today. So far it seems really sollid.

I ordered this back in April, and they responded quickly and politely to my monthly email checking status. A lot of other companies probably would have cut me off after the first email or two.

I also ordered mine in April. And Burris was also very helpful. A gal named Kimber works in dealer sales and was always great every time I called.

Plus what getsqurly noted, the Burris Veracity does not have as robust a tube, but does have the same glass as the XTRII. Should be a great option for what you want it for..

I've been bouncing back between the 1-5x24 and the 1.5-8x28. I decided to go for the 1.5-8x28 today and hopefully it'll be here sometime next week. I really wish they had the CQ Mil reticle but for the $150 more on the 1.5-8 I liked the 50% more extended range. I'll just have to make due learning the BDC marks on the 5.56 reticle. They also had the package of the PEPR mount and FastFire III for only $150 more, tempting as the FastFire III is $225 on its own, and the PEPR mount is another $100, but I didn't have use for either. I was tempted to part it out and sell them off separately.

Im interested to see how the bdc works with 5.56 and 7.62 since thats what they market it for but I haven't been able to find what grain bullets and at what muzzle velocity yet.

Im interested to see how the bdc works with 5.56 and 7.62 since thats what they market it for but I haven't been able to find what grain bullets and at what muzzle velocity yet.

It doesn't really work that way. Or I should say, it's not the most effective way of making it work.

My understanding is that the 5.56 is based on a 62gr bullet. I remember reading that, I believe on the Burris webpage. But velocity is unknown. It's far simpler to continue to shoot the round that fires the most accurately from your rifle and build your holds into it. For example, my 55gr FMJ at 2970fps;

0 @ 200yds
1st large dot @ 320yds
#4 subtension @ 400
#5 subtension @ 470yds
#6 sub @ 550yds
#7 sub @ 620yds
#8 @ 700yds

You can get the mil and MoA distances between each subtension from the Reticles section on the Burris website. Then just match it up to your true'd up ballistic program. Heck of a lot easier.

And I have to say, the more I have fired rounds through this scope, the more I have come to really enjoy it. Burris did good here. Putting it to the test here soon. Three weekends in a row of 3 gun.

It doesn't really work that way. Or I should say, it's not the most effective way of making it work.

My understanding is that the 5.56 is based on a 62gr bullet. I remember reading that, I believe on the Burris webpage. But velocity is unknown. It's far simpler to continue to shoot the round that fires the most accurately from your rifle and build your holds into it. For example, my 55gr FMJ at 2970fps;

0 @ 200yds
1st large dot @ 320yds
#4 subtension @ 400
#5 subtension @ 470yds
#6 sub @ 550yds
#7 sub @ 620yds
#8 @ 700yds

You can get the mil and MoA distances between each subtension from the Reticles section on the Burris website. Then just match it up to your true'd up ballistic program. Heck of a lot easier.

And I have to say, the more I have fired rounds through this scope, the more I have come to really enjoy it. Burris did good here. Putting it to the test here soon. Three weekends in a row of 3 gun.

Another alternative is you can hold the subtensions and dial a small correction for the desired yardage base on your dope card..

You 3 gun guys are always in such a rush.. ;-)

I have used the 1-5 to dial on 2 targets in 3Gun, it worked really well, and based on some drills I did, if it is just one dial, I was actually no worse off for the time. Not saying it is THE way to do it, but it does work well in some scenarios.

I have spun the turrets for the bonus targets at 500 to 900 at the MGM Ironman. But nothing any closer.

But every stage is different. You do what you have to to go one for one.

By the way Mark, loving the Carbon Arms shell caddies. Quad load is the new black.

I had the 1.5-8 out to the range last Friday. Everything was 100%, the scope is awesome. Heads up though, using the PEPR mount my Troy BUIS did not fit under the scope, and forget about putting the scope cover back on. It was VERY close, so with another .1" of clearance it would've been fine. If the scope was mounted further back over the stock the Troy may have fit. If you get the 1.5-8 make sure to mount it and carefully check clearance before choosing your BUIS.

Does anyone know of a vendor that makes a cattail for the Burris XTR II 1.5-8x? I just got mine last night. I need to mount it and take it out but am busy until the weekend :\

I did fiddle with the turrets and they are very tactile. Much better than my Burris 3-12x44 (Elite Tactical, not the LRHS). The illumination has the on/off between each setting and it had 1-11 for illumination. 11 is ridiculously bright. Using it indoors I was running around a 3-4. 1 is pretty damn low.

No parallax adjustment for the 1.5-8x.

Scope comes with caps and a battery. I have a ADM Recon and a Recon-SL mount that I'll play with to see which height I prefer to use with my rifle.

Last edited:
My apologies if this question was already covered in this thread. Does anyone know if Burris has intentions of producing this line of scopes with a MOA/MOA setup?

Good question.
That was one of the first questions I asked about the other magnifications-The 8-40 XTR-II does have a MOA reticle.
The other magnifications (I want a 5-25 myself with a MOA reticle) are scheduled for a spring delivery in 2015.

Good question.
That was one of the first questions I asked about the other magnifications-The 8-40 XTR-II does have a MOA reticle.
The other magnifications (I want a 5-25 myself with a MOA reticle) are scheduled for a spring delivery in 2015.

Thanks! I have been trying to find that out!!

Did anyone have info on the actual reticle design yet?.. Or what all magnification levels would be given a moa version?..

Anyone have any feedback about the eyebox on the 4-20/3-15's.....I read somewhere the eyebox is a little fussy. I know the eyebox on my 6-24 PST is a bit of a pita [MENTION=81674]Max[/MENTION] magnification... Just wondering.

Via Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

I wasn't too impressed with my eliminator 3. The glass was meh. Cool one of a kind features though. I made someone happy on the hide by giving them the opportunity to pick up a scope that was hard to find for 20% off retail. I should have asked for more as it sold in 30 seconds, but I'm not here to work anyone over.

Got the new XTR 8-40X50 to the range today and tried it at different distances and magnification powers (didn't install it on a rifle yet). Well, I am totally not sure if I should keep this scope or send it back. The glass is ok but not too sharp/clear at higher magnification (the downfall was I had as comparison on the bench my NF Competition which has superb picture). Also, to me, the reticle becomes WAY large at x40. Liked all the rest....turrets, illumination, size, weight, FFP concept, "look", zero stop, etc. decision time in a few days.

Does anyone know of a vendor that makes a cattail for the Burris XTR II 1.5-8x? I just got mine last night. I need to mount it and take it out but am busy until the weekend :\

I did fiddle with the turrets and they are very tactile. Much better than my Burris 3-12x44 (Elite Tactical, not the LRHS). The illumination has the on/off between each setting and it had 1-11 for illumination. 11 is ridiculously bright. Using it indoors I was running around a 3-4. 1 is pretty damn low.

No parallax adjustment for the 1.5-8x.

Scope comes with caps and a battery. I have a ADM Recon and a Recon-SL mount that I'll play with to see which height I prefer to use with my rifle.

The ring diameter of your scope is 1.750. The same as the Burris MTac 1x4.

Contact MGM here in Idaho for a Switchview.

Switchview Model Compatibility : MGM Switchview, The fastest and easiest way to adjust your power setting!