• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

I have both scopes. I find the fit and finish on the burris to be more appealing. The burris glass is a bit nicer ,I can especially tell when mirage is high or in lowlight. The turrets on both are nice but the athlon clicks more crisply and audibly. If I were to keep only one it would be the burris.

Sorry, the comparison must have gotten lost in shuffle with all the dick measuring about country of origin. Those foreign sourced parts must really be inferior. Im off now to pretend my "Made in the USA with global materials" Dewalt tools are all American too.

Come on dude, its just rifle scopes.

I'm quite certain there is plenty of responses from a variety of posters for you to consider your question well-answered.

Let's just get over it and move on.

Sorry, the comparison must have gotten lost in shuffle with all the dick measuring about country of origin. Those foreign sourced parts must really be inferior. Im off now to pretend my "Made in the USA with global materials" Dewalt tools are all American too.
You’ve gotten multiple responses on how the Athlon scopes don’t compete with the XTR3 from people that owned both. So are you just trolling now.?

Come on dude, its just rifle scopes.

I'm quite certain there is plenty of responses from a variety of posters for you to consider your question well-answered.

Let's just get over it and move on.
To further beat an almost dead horse: Over the last 16 years or so, I have have bought , used extensively and still own the following: Premier Reticles x2, USO many, NF Atacr x2, NF NX8 LPVO, Razor Gen 2 4.5x27, Burris XTR3, Heine 4x16, Various Leupies. I enjoy using all of them. I consider the XTR3 to be an amazing value for the money. If I need another scope in the future, it would likely be another XTR3.

The glass in the one 30X I have is VERY good for the money. It hangs with my AMG in most conditions. Not quite as good resolution wise but better contrast. In high contrast situations I can see A LITTLE better with the AMG. In low contrast situations I can see more with the XTR3.

Tracking has been dead nuts both shooting and in collimator.

Not interested. They dont compare. AT ALL. Ive seen all of the Athlon scopes and the 3 times I saw them at matches and 2 of them broke. They have horrible FOV and i hate their retc. Vortex (G2)/Leupold (mk5) both smoke them as well. They have nothing I want.

You mentioned "(Athlon being one of them) that would likely be a better choice" yet you have admittingly not had them side by side. ummm what? I have. Multiple times. Athlon is crap. Literally crap. They make one decent scope and even it is sub XTR3. Closer to XTR2 with higher acceptable error in tracking.

Yes im a scope snob. Yes im a xenophobe. Take your china love to another Athlon love fest thread please. This isnt a "lets compare $300 shit scopes" thread.

Regards
DT

I've got three Cronus scopes, haven't broken one yet. It is way better than the fuzzy XTRII I had before it, comparable to a Razor to my eyes. Personally I like their reticle better than most too. I'm not a snob though, I'll take a ZCO if you're handing them out. :)

I looked the other night for a XTR3 3-18 model at several different vendors. It appears most were sold out. I hope this is a good sign that the illuminated model will be coming at end of the year or first quarter of 2022.

I looked the other night for a XTR3 3-18 model at several different vendors. It appears most were sold out. I hope this is a good sign that the illuminated model will be coming at end of the year or first quarter of 2022.

Its been selling really well. They haven't been easy to find the last 6 months.

Everything they produce right now is spoken for. Nothing is sitting around.

Reactions: Chasing3
I loved the one I had previously. Bought it from @Glassaholic. I just wanted illumination, but I have been tempted picking up another non illuminated model. Hopefully the wait will be over soon. Definitely doing the preorder once available!

Had my XTR III out today shooting longer range, it is the 5.5-30. I have to say - I think I like it more than my NX8 4-32. Depth of field / parallax was much easier to dial in, image was seemingly better all around, and it’s easier to get behind. Love the zero stop system on it. Nothing scientific in this review, but overall I’m extremely impressed. Will be getting another for sure.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Had my XTR III out today shooting longer range, it is the 5.5-30. I have to say - I think I like it more than my NX8 4-32. Depth of field / parallax was much easier to dial in, image was seemingly better all around, and it’s easier to get behind. Love the zero stop system on it. Nothing scientific in this review, but overall I’m extremely impressed. Will be getting another for sure.
What do you like about the zero stop?
Just ease of setting it?

Its a rev limiter, and integral to the turret, so there is really no setting it. I think maybe it goes half mil below the zero line.{I was thinking of the MK5, I just rolled over to the safe. Its stops at zero on the XTR3}

What do you like about the zero stop?
Just ease of setting it?
Yes just the simplicity of it - not that most zero stops nowadays are complicated typically, but I like how the burris is set up. I really like the turret feel too, a bit stout to rotate, but not so much so that you overclick, I found it easy to dial where I needed the first time. To me the clicks are a bit more distinguished clicks than the NX8, which are not bad by any means.

Probably has been stated also, but I do like that they send an exposed windage turret with the scope so you have the option of doing either exposed or capped windage.

The eye relief on the XTR III 5.5-30 is very forgiving. Also it’s bright as shit. It seems noticeably brighter than my NX8 and that is a bright scope. XTR seems to darken around 26x.

Just ordered a 3-18 SCR Mil, should be here next week. I'm excited to see how it stacks up against my ATACR.

Would like to hear your comparison once you’ve had it out to the range. I’ve been considering an atacr 4-16 as an alternative to the perpetually delayed xtriii w/ illumination. Fortunately the rifle isn’t finished yet so I still have some time to wait.

Reactions: RFutch and Basher
The 5.5-30 SCR2 is out of stock at ExpertVoice. Anyone know someplace else that's similarly priced that has it in stock or will backorder?

Thanks, I looked there. It's still nearly a $100 difference.

I'm not coming back from Korea for a couple months. I'm willing to wait a bit to see if it comes back in stock.
Except it isn't. Expert voice charges taxes, fees, and their shipping is higher than normal. Most of the online retailers don't. Difference is a lot less than you think.

Got mine today and it’s nice. Except for the little razor blades on the mag ring. This thing seriously needs a throw lever, my poor office hands can’t deal with how sharp the dragon scales are.
D12EBA27-DB7A-430E-8990-CBDB716225DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely some very accentuated knurling on the controls! I really like the turret click feel on them though

Would like to hear your comparison once you’ve had it out to the range. I’ve been considering an atacr 4-16 as an alternative to the perpetually delayed xtriii w/ illumination. Fortunately the rifle isn’t finished yet so I still have some time to wait.
Ok I am in no way a professional optic guru but here are my thoughts. I’ve been out twice with it, once a rainy foggy day and then today which was bright and sunny. I compared it to both my 5-25 ATACR and my 3.5-15 NXS out to 1000 yards. The Burris falls in between as expected, but to my eyes it’s closer to the NXS than the ATACR. Specifically CA was controlled a lot better in the Burris than the NXS and resolution was also better. Color looked the same to me but FOV was better in the Burris.
The ATACR does look better to me but it’s also twice the cost. Overall I am very happy with the XTRIII though and the windage marks on the SCR are very similar to the MIL-C which pretty cool.
85958329-1EF4-4972-A430-8068334B18D7.jpeg

I bought a 2nd one this week, as opposed to a 2nd ZCO, or a March wide angle. Best value IMHO, and some uniqueness with thin ret and big FOV. I have a 4K yard view from the front of my house, and try as I might over the last ~year, I have not been able to come up with a scenario where I could see something with my ZCO that I couldn't see with my XTR3. ZCO is definitely better, can see detail at long range that can't be discerned with the Burris, but for me, no real practical difference in taking a shot.

I bought a 2nd one this week, as opposed to a 2nd ZCO, or a March wide angle. Best value IMHO, and some uniqueness with thin ret and big FOV. I have a 4K yard view from the front of my house, and try as I might over the last ~year, I have not been able to come up with a scenario where I could see something with my ZCO that I couldn't see with my XTR3. ZCO is definitely better, can see detail at long range that can't be discerned with the Burris, but for me, no real practical difference in taking a shot.

Heresy I say!

Ok I am in no way a professional optic guru but here are my thoughts. I’ve been out twice with it, once a rainy foggy day and then today which was bright and sunny. I compared it to both my 5-25 ATACR and my 3.5-15 NXS out to 1000 yards. The Burris falls in between as expected, but to my eyes it’s closer to the NXS than the ATACR. Specifically CA was controlled a lot better in the Burris than the NXS and resolution was also better. Color looked the same to me but FOV was better in the Burris.
The ATACR does look better to me but it’s also twice the cost. Overall I am very happy with the XTRIII though and the windage marks on the SCR are very similar to the MIL-C which pretty cool.
Thanks for the follow up, I appreciate the comparison

Reactions: RFutch
Received my 2nd XTR3 today - just as nice as the first one, looked at both back and forth compared to a ZCO and Trijicon Tenmile for comparison. Everything I've written in the past applies to this one as well.

Reactions: D_TROS
Received my 2nd XTR3 today - just as nice as the first one, looked at both back and forth compared to a ZCO and Trijicon Tenmile for comparison. Everything I've written in the past applies to this one as well.
Its amazing to me that this optic still isn't consistently in the conversation when the "usual suspects" come up (the MK5, Razor, Cronus, any LOW scope, etc)

In the last two years of constant comparisons, I've yet to see any of those scopes that were nicer than the pair of XTR3s that I always have at the range. But I've seen the Burris outshine quite a few of those.

And there is some cool stuff on the horizon for this optic!!

Reactions: chase723
Its amazing to me that this optic still isn't consistently in the conversation when the "usual suspects" come up (the MK5, Razor, Cronus, any LOW scope, etc)

In the last two years of constant comparisons, I've yet to see any of those scopes that were nicer than the pair of XTR3s that I always have at the range. But I've seen the Burris outshine quite a few of those.

I think a lot of it is because Burris is the only manufacturer that does NOT offer illuminated options on their highest line of scopes. That’s an immediate deal killer for most people looking at optics between brands.

I think a lot of it is because Burris is the only manufacturer that does NOT offer illuminated options on their highest line of scopes. That’s an immediate deal killer for most people looking at optics between brands.
I was guessing this might be the cool stuff on the horizon mentioned. I'll have to try using it one of these days to see if it is as big a deal to me as a lot of shooters say it is to them.

Reactions: Basher
Believe me, I wish I could.

I'm chomping at the bit to expound on that. But not yet.

The good news though is its super close. It won't be a very long wait to see what's coming.

After I just bought a 2nd one! You will need to pull some strings and allow me to upgrade for the price difference! If it's just illumination and the bit thicker reticle, I'll pass, but a higher end XTR4, I'm in.

Reactions: Birddog6424

That will probably change when the illuminated models make it here and the cool stuff you are alluding to. I am pretty excited about that one. So much so, that I left a time slot for reviewing it (generally, I am no longer accepting new review items until I clear some of my backlog).

ILya

I hope they hurry up because I have a rifle being shipped on Monday. And if illumination isn’t released I’ll have to go another route. Waited all year for it to come out

Reactions: D_TROS
Im surprised the illum hasnt been announced yet...

And there are some major changes coming...some good and some gooder. LOL

Regards
DT

I would say I'm keen to hear what these changes are but at this stage just want damn illumination.
Maybe in a couple of years will be able to try out the new XTR3+

I would say I'm keen to hear what these changes are but at this stage just want damn illumination.
Maybe in a couple of years will be able to try out the new XTR3+
It's close. But its more than just illuminated. Three people here have seen the prototypes, including Ilya up there. And we're all pretty excited about it. I've heard the intended production dates.

It's close.

I’ve run the XTR3 all year now and have no major complaints. It’s just a super solid unit. If a Gooder version is coming down the pipe I’m going to have to have one. Looking forward to this

Been waiting patiently for the illuminated version of the 3-18. Still waiting on the barrel for the rifle it’s going on so I haven’t been to antsy but I’ve started to wonder if it’ll ever come out.

Excited to hear the news, hopefully this can be my Christmas present to myself

Reactions: Chasing3
Here's hoping "more than just illuminated" means it went on a diet. If Vortex can make a 22oz 4.5-22, maybe Burris can make a 3.3-18 that comes in under the Tenmile's 3-18's 25oz. Pepperidge Farms remembers the original sub 27oz hype, as unintentional as that was.

Here's hoping "more than just illuminated" means it went on a diet. If Vortex can make a 22oz 4.5-22, maybe Burris can make a 3.3-18 that comes in under the Tenmile's 3-18's 25oz. Pepperidge Farms remembers the original sub 27oz hype, as unintentional as that was.
I can end the suspense on this one. That's not their market on this scope.

This is part of the Tactical/Competition scope line up from Burris. Though I'll tell you honestly, the weight of the 30x XTR3 lineup is pretty competitive with its peers. The Delta Stryker, Tract Toric, Cronus and Razor are all heavier. The 18x Mk5 and XTR3 are within an ounce of each other.

It's just not the focus of the optic.

My big game rifle, gear,, boots,, clothing weighs 25 to 35lbs, depending on the time of year. An extra 5 or 6 ounces to get the optic i want isn't even on my radar.