• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

Thanks WJM it's great to finally see some specs.
Where did you get these specs from may I ask?

I'm glad to see another new scope that weights under 30oz, good to see some alternatives to the AMG and MK5hd.
Those FOV specs are pretty phenomenal, I hope the eye box is super forgiving to suit!

Looking forward to seeing some reviews and videos of these in hand, as I'm doubtful I'll get to see one for myself unless I buy one.
Waiting for a confirmed price also, as I'm feeling like this may be the scope I've been waiting for.
Funnily enough I've had great experience with Burris scopes, I have a Full Field 2 and a C4 both which I love (obviously not comparable to this scope), but the XTR II range didn't do much for me so I haven't given them a look in.
Information is from Burris.
I agree beet, it is nice to see more < 30oz offerings and great to see Burris join the Ultra Short game. Like Leupold claimed with their Mark 5HD line, they learned a lot from the shortcomings of the Mark 6, I believe Burris has done the same with the XTR III, it definitely appears that they have learned from the XTR II shortcomings (of which there are few at its price point) and the XTR III will be even better - claimed better glass, lighter weight, better eyebox, wider FOV, a new .2 mil tree reticle. ILya has seen them in person and said it looked impressive and @D_TROS has shot with a pre-production model and apparently loves it so it seems like the real deal.

I'm also curious to find out about the turret feature called "Race Dial" intended for PRS and NRL shooters.

Sounds official then...

I got some of the skinny on Race Dial (didnt know they were calling it that) it sounds very cool. I dont know how much info they have released on it so far.

Reactions: GeoffatBurris
The scope I used did not have this feature (also didn't know they were calling it a race dial). It is the reason the knobs are as tall as they are. What will happen is there will be plenty of room above the numbers to put tape of your rifles data on. Ie custom BDC knobs as well as room to write on with wet erase markers for things like target identifiers and wind data. A super cool feature. I have a pic somewere of the XTR3 I will see if I can find it. Its the reason all my scopes have colored tape on the turrets, Burris is just making the knobs so I wont have to use tape (unless I want to)

It is also super nice as you can just write the existing numbers on so they are easier to see for fast dialing (what I do if I don't do BDC knobs) and then cover with std scotch tape (the actual item used to determine the height)

2018 NE NRL 5.jpg

Regards,
DT

The scope I used did not have this feature (also didn't know they were calling it a race dial). It is the reason the knobs are as tall as they are. What will happen is there will be plenty of room above the numbers to put tape of your rifles data on. Ie custom BDC knobs as well as room to write on with wet erase markers for things like target identifiers and wind data. A super cool feature. I have a pic somewere of the XTR3 I will see if I can find it. Its the reason all my scopes have colored tape on the turrets, Burris is just making the knobs so I wont have to use tape (unless I want to)

It is also super nice as you can just write the existing numbers on so they are easier to see for fast dialing (what I do if I don't do BDC knobs) and then cover with std scotch tape (the actual item used to determine the height)

View attachment 6996868

Regards,
DT

The turrets aren't looking are they?
Do they have enough resistance that you feel they shouldn't be bumped when used on a hunting rifle?

I've not ever had an issue with turrets being bumped, but most scopes are coming out with locking turrets these days so mean it's something you don't need to worry about.

The turrets aren't looking are they?
Do they have enough resistance that you feel they shouldn't be bumped when used on a hunting rifle?

I've not ever had an issue with turrets being bumped, but most scopes are coming out with locking turrets these days so mean it's something you don't need to worry about.

Turrets are not locking. I pushed really hard for locking knobs (at least the windage) and they may be in the works. The prob is all the current designs are trade marked so they have to get creative and its not released yet (as far as I know, Im just a shooter not affliated with the company).

The other thing being offered is capped windage knob which is the next best thing and will work great for hunting esp or shooting off barricades where the windage knob is apt to get bumped, which has happened to me several times with my S&B. Not a locking ele knob isn't that big of a deal due to general mechanics of ballistics and having a hard zero stop (ie if you arnt on 0 and have to take a snap shot at point blank yardages hunting, even 3-5 mils dialed is still likely a kill shot, and on other end, long range shots you will have more time and be able to quickly look up and ensure you knob is dialed correctly)

Hope that helps!
DT

Turrets are not locking. I pushed really hard for locking knobs (at least the windage) and they may be in the works. The prob is all the current designs are trade marked so they have to get creative and its not released yet (as far as I know, Im just a shooter not affliated with the company).

The other thing being offered is capped windage knob which is the next best thing and will work great for hunting esp or shooting off barricades where the windage knob is apt to get bumped, which has happened to me several times with my S&B. Not a locking ele knob isn't that big of a deal due to general mechanics of ballistics and having a hard zero stop (ie if you arnt on 0 and have to take a snap shot at point blank yardages hunting, even 3-5 mils dialed is still likely a kill shot, and on other end, long range shots you will have more time and be able to quickly look up and ensure you knob is dialed correctly)

Hope that helps!
DT

It must be a nightmare for manufactures to produce new scopes that take other designs and improve on them. There are so many turret designs and reticle designs that could be improved on or are almost there, but imagine legally it must be hard to not breech trademarks and copyright.

Capped windage would be great to see, even if you had the ability to either cap or not cap both turrets, would allow for flexibility on a multipurpose rifle.

It must be a nightmare for manufactures to produce new scopes that take other designs and improve on them. There are so many turret designs and reticle designs that could be improved on or are almost there, but imagine legally it must be hard to not breech trademarks and copyright.

Capped windage would be great to see, even if you had the ability to either cap or not cap both turrets, would allow for flexibility on a multipurpose rifle.

It has the ability to cap windage if I remember correctly.

ILya

You've already seen most of the info, but the new 2019 Burris catalog is now online at:
https://www.burrisoptics.com/customer-service/catalog
XTR III on page 34, with spec chart on page 78.
(we're forcing you to go past all the Eliminator, Speedbead, Scout scopes, etc.... sorta like getting milk at the grocery store).

The SCR 2 reticle did NOT make the catalog. I think that was mostly a need to not put the details into print just yet.

The XTR III is a MAD Knob scope, which means you can swap out knobs. MY UNDERSTANDING is that it will come with the exposed elevation knob and capped windage installed, and the exposed windage in the box. The Race Dial is a new MAD System addition, and will be available as an extra cost option later in the year. And you can get a custom knob etched with your data for $50.

I know Ilya said already, but just to hammer it home: the XTR III is made in our Greeley facility. We're excited about that. We've been making a lot of scopes for Steiner here in Colorado (including a bunch that go to Europe), but we havent' made a Burris scope in a while. That's been a key goal for our management team, getting more and more manufacturing here.

You've already seen most of the info, but the new 2019 Burris catalog is now online at:
(we're forcing you to go past all the Eliminator, Speedbead, Scout scopes, etc.... sorta like getting milk at the grocery store).

The SCR 2 reticle did NOT make the catalog. I think that was mostly a need to not put the details into print just yet.

The XTR III is a MAD Knob scope, which means you can swap out knobs. MY UNDERSTANDING is that it will come with the exposed elevation knob and capped windage installed, and the exposed windage in the box. The Race Dial is a new MAD System addition, and will be available as an extra cost option later in the year. And you can get a custom knob etched with your data for $50.

I know Ilya said already, but just to hammer it home: the XTR III is made in our Greeley facility. We're excited about that. We've been making a lot of scopes for Steiner here in Colorado (including a bunch that go to Europe), but we havent' made a Burris scope in a while. That's been a key goal for our management team, getting more and more manufacturing here.

FYI the link is still for the 2018 catalog.

I should have waited a bit before posting that..it takes an hour or so for new content to propagate out on our content delivery networks.
It should work now, but you may need to force a page reload (CNTRL + F5 or CNTRL+ RELOAD).

Reactions: snarkscarbine
I should have waited a bit before posting that..it takes an hour or so for new content to propagate out on our content delivery networks.
It should work now, but you may need to force a page reload (CNTRL + F5 or CNTRL+ RELOAD).

When is the illuminated and 5.5-30 models going to be available?

Great news Geoff, thanks. Also, thanks for the update on the Race Dial and capped windage option that will come standard. Fantastic to know that assembly and repair will be handled right here in Colorado, I'm really looking forward to this scope once it is out for a bit.

We do not have good, solid dates for anything yet.

Any estimates? Are you hoping to have them released for the Summer time, or in 2019.
The 3.3-18 should be available after shot show am I correct? Will it be available with the SCR2 or is that further down the line also?

I promise not to send angry emails if it's later than what you say.

Sure. That's one of the well-known things about this forum. No one here ever sends angry emails or makes angry posts.

Hey, I didn't say no one would just said I wouldn't. But yeah unfortunately others are less understanding.

Youre kidding right? After almost every scope manufacture is unable to meet a date you expect them to fess up to one?

If was me, I wouldn't say a thing until people saw them at the store. Lol.

GL
DT

I wasn't asking for a particular date, just an indication or a minimum wait.

If they are aiming for February and over run thats fine, you can wait an know the risk (I waited for a Tikka T1x),but if they are going to say don't expect until 2020 then I'll know to buy something else.

I wasn't asking for a particular date, just an indication or a minimum wait.

If they are aiming for February and over run thats fine, you can wait an know the risk (I waited for a Tikka T1x),but if they are going to say don't expect until 2020 then I'll know to buy something else.

Agreed. Others in this post have said multiple times (I know 8 pages) that the regular ones will be available early 2019 and illuminated and tree rect available later on in the year. I hope they are right. Pretty good timeline for me!

Regards,
DT

I think the first production run on the 3.3-18 being available at Shot is pretty reliable information. Unless something goes really wrong. Which happens.

I'm just crossing my fingers for the 5.5-30 to get here as soon as possible.

I think the first production run on the 3.3-18 being available at Shot is pretty reliable information. Unless something goes really wrong. Which happens.

I'm just crossing my fingers for the 5.5-30 to get here as soon as possible.
One thing to note with the 5.5-30 is that the FOV at 5.5x is far greater than the Schmidt and Nightforce 5-25's at 5x with 23', in fact, that's even a hair better than the TT and Minox at 5x which have very favorable FOV. Oddly enough the 3.3-18 has greater internal travel (35 mil vs 26 mil) but that will be a non issue for most I'd imagine since you can still get close to 20mil of elevation with a 20 MOA base, also, it does focus down to 20y which will be a big plus for rimfire shooters. Really anxious to see just how good the glass is on the XTR III's, the community is always looking for scopes that punch above their price class in regard to optical/mechanical quality, the AMG was one of the first to do that and was a big hit for not just its weight savings but also in IQ, if the XTR III can get similar IQ to the AMG and maintain rugged mechanical reliability this scope will undoubtedly be a success, but that's a big IF and we need to get these scopes into some hands for review in real world situations.

I updated my spreadsheet to include the Burris XTRIII (in the middle) alongside some of the other popular 5-25 class scopes
1546965868096.png

Last edited:
Bill, if you do not mind some unsolicited advice on comparison tables:

I think the 5.5-30x56 XTR III will be in direct competition with scopes like Athlong Cronus and Delta Stryker, also competing with Razor Gen2 and Mark 5 on the high end of it price segment and Ares ETR on the low end of its price segment. Or at least that is how I view it and that is the competition I will test it against.

Another thing to be wary of is mixing dissimilar objective sizes. That is one of the things that make the AMG a little unusual: they made it with a 50mm objective. I suspect that they did not want it to compete too directly with Gen 2 4.5-27x56, because at high magnification that extra bit of objective lens real estate matters. However, inadvertently (or itnentionally) they ended up putting the AMG into a category all its own, since most high magnification scopes out there are heavier and bulkier and have larger objectives. AMG goes head to head with March 3-24x52 and not much else. Maybe Tango6 4-24x50 as well.

ILya

Bill, if you do not mind some unsolicited advice on comparison tables:

I think the 5.5-30x56 XTR III will be in direct competition with scopes like Athlon Cronus and Delta Stryker, also competing with Razor Gen2 and Mark 5 on the high end of it price segment and Ares ETR on the low end of its price segment. Or at least that is how I view it and that is the competition I will test it against.

Another thing to be wary of is mixing dissimilar objective sizes. That is one of the things that make the AMG a little unusual: they made it with a 50mm objective. I suspect that they did not want it to compete too directly with Gen 2 4.5-27x56, because at high magnification that extra bit of objective lens real estate matters. However, inadvertently (or intentionally) they ended up putting the AMG into a category all its own, since most high magnification scopes out there are heavier and bulkier and have larger objectives. AMG goes head to head with March 3-24x52 and not much else. Maybe Tango6 4-24x50 as well.

ILya
Always appreciate your advice ILya, the reason I lumped so many into the chart above was because I thought it covered a wide range of shooters who might be looking at this scope as an alternative to what they already have (sometimes they want to downsize in price, sell a TT to get 2 XTR III's situation) so just wanted to give a sampling of what else is in the range of the XTR III 5.5-30x56, I realize the anomaly seems to be the AMG as it is the only 50mm objective scope in the list; however, I quite frequently see posts asking for comparison of the AMG to other 56mm class 5-25 style scopes. I also left other scopes out at my own discretion because I can't put the entire list of everything I have in there, but I should have at least included the Athlon as you mentioned. Let me modify it a bit based on your input

Here is an updated spreadsheet hopefully to align better
1547064788484.png

Last edited:
Thanks, Bill. I like this table more, although the glass field reeks of Philips's Schott glass insanity.

Have you looked at XRS II next to the AMG? That could be an interesting side-by-side.

ILya

Reactions: Basher
The 5.5-30 with SCR looks really interesting depending on what price they're at, and what the optical performance is like.

I’m pretty excited about the release of this. Seems to be a great option for a gas gun also.

Wow really impressive FOV on that 5.5-30. I'm interested! (FYI might want to adjust your spreadsheet--the Cronus does not have locking turrets)

It is a thoroughly modern reticle. I think a 20 mrad tree is a little excessive, but it is better than it going all the way down to the edge of the image.

i-SssTJqB-L.jpg

Where did you get the rubber scope mount thingys?

Where did you get the rubber scope mount thingys?
I've often looked for these as well, you see them when you go into Cabela's and shops and they have the fake wood stocks and rubber mounts to test out scopes, but I've never been able to find the source.

I've often looked for these as well, you see them when you go into Cabela's and shops and they have the fake wood stocks and rubber mounts to test out scopes, but I've never been able to find the source.
It might be cheaper/faster to make one from a hockey puck or dense foam pad. I've never found them either ( wanted a set for tinkering with scopes or just as mount for a scope rack etc. )

It might be cheaper/faster to make one from a hockey puck or dense foam pad. I've never found them either ( wanted a set for tinkering with scopes or just as mount for a scope rack etc. )
I wonder if you can find some thick fishing rod mounts... just thinking out, this has been my setup for a while

1k_FFP_Scope_Review_010.jpg

Leupold_Mark5_vs_Kahles_K318i_003.jpg

It's basically a arca swiss plate with two Magpul plastic picatinny rails drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 which are usually the camera screws to mount the rail to a lens or body.

Sorry to derail the thread, I look forward to getting the XTR III 3.3-18x50 next to my K318i

So I just went through the whole thread, and I have a question that I don't think has been asked/answered yet; when the illuminated models with the SCR2 reticle hit, is the entire "tree" going to be lit, or just the primary horizontal/vertical lines?

In any event, I am SERIOUSLY excited about the illuminated 3.3-18 SCR2 model; with the specs, features, and price that I've seen posted, it looks like it'll hit the nail right on the head for a build that I'm planning for later this year. Looking forward to seeing the final/commercial product! :)

:eek::p:love::giggle:

Wow its been a crazy year. I went from being a scope snob

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/scope-snob-in-remission.6877345/

to selling everything and buying 2 new XTR2's with H59. This whole year as been fun competing with a scope that tracks phenomenal (what I rank #1 on the scope wish list) that happens to have the wurst glass in the world that you cant see the side of a barn with (what snipers hide ranks #1 on scope wish list) BUT to my great happiness, Burris has really stepped up and answered the call (admittingly I don't like the name just going up to "3" but I don't get to make any decisions regarding sweet names.. my model choice of "BASMF" got rejected...

View attachment 6976764

After a fantastic year of shooting, I was recently approached to spearhead the release of Burris new XTR3 at this years PRS finale.
Simple answer, if it tracks as good as the XTR2 I am in 100%. Now, the scope has landed. 3.3-18x50 and another scope with larger Mag range scope that hasn't been determined the zoom zoom yet but will be around 5-30 ish. They should be at shot and I have no idea on release dates. Im not an employee of Burris. Im now just a fanboy :LOL:
My day job is construction and my family lets me shoot like a ninja on the weekends ha...

Features on the 3.3-18
-Substantially Better Glass YAY!!
-Actually don't know how to explain this, but when looking through the scope, the scope almost disappears, ie the scope "shadow/ring" is very thin. Very cool feature I think.
-10 mil knobs (thank you for not going to 24 thousand clicks per rev. so annoying to clutter the clicks up.
-20 yard parallax
-adjustable zero stop
-locking diopertererer thingy lol
-Larger knobs easier to grab and rotate and SEE...(and also write on!!)
-KNOBS way more tactile than xtr. reminds me of NF or Gen2 rzr.
-oscillating hash marks (ticks) on knob
-set screws on back of elevation knob so you can actually see to get the allen wrench in to re=zero knob. huge pet peeve of mine lol.
-New SCR TREE rect. hashtag2yrslatetotheparty
-LArgest FOV in class- this number actually surprised me roughly 15' more fov at low power is crazy...FOV has become one of my favorite features in scopes in the last few years, so when Burris told me 40' I didn't believe them...until I looked through the scope. VERY noticeable.
some numbers
XTR3 = 40.3'-6.6''
XTR2 4-20 = 25.8' - 5.4'
USO 3-17 = 25.25' - 8.03'
Kahles 3-18 = 27.8" - 5.5'
Bushy LRHS 4.5-18 = 23.5' - 6'
Bushy DMR 3-21 = 25.3' - 5.1'
SWFA 3-15 = 34.78' - 7.21'
SWFA 5-20 = 20.1' - 5.1'
Leuppy MArk 5 3-18 = 28.3' - 5.8'
Steiner 3-15 = 36.0' - 7.3' (was surprised to see this as high as it is, but I guess it makes sense...)

SO, I will be shooting it this weekend at the PRS Finale. Come check it out. I am very excited to check out how sensitive the parallax knob is. My other high end scopes like S&B and Minox and Henny etc are kind of set the parallax in the middle and forget it. I hope this is like that. I ran my XTR2 at 400-500 yards almost exclusively. I hope this one isn't sensitive.

Ill give a better review after I put 300 rounds on it this week and at the Finale.

View attachment 6976765

As more than a few have mentioned, it is a VERY good time to be a scope consumer!

Regards,
DT
very exciting, love that 3-18 range too--great to coyotes. Looking forward to the review.

So I just went through the whole thread, and I have a question that I don't think has been asked/answered yet; when the illuminated models with the SCR2 reticle hit, is the entire "tree" going to be lit, or just the primary horizontal/vertical lines?

That's a good question -- most likely it will be more like the H59, with a few strategic lit locations. I can't imagine lighting up everything -- it would look like downtown Reno, or that one dispensary in Boulder...

I'll try to get you a better answer later on, but we are evidently reserving some info on the SCR2 reticle. Either it's not set in stone yet, or maybe jsut to have something to talk about later. (I probably wasn't meant to say that...).

Thanks for your interest!

We have XTR III scopes at our booth in Vegas this week if you are attending SHOT.

That's a good question -- most likely it will be more like the H59, with a few strategic lit locations. I can't imagine lighting up everything -- it would look like downtown Reno, or that one dispensary in Boulder...

I'll try to get you a better answer later on, but we are evidently reserving some info on the SCR2 reticle. Either it's not set in stone yet, or maybe jsut to have something to talk about later. (I probably wasn't meant to say that...).

Thanks for your interest!

We have XTR III scopes at our booth in Vegas this week if you are attending SHOT.
Geoff, I really appreciate you getting back to me. I hear ya, re: lit up like the Vegas strip, and would only like to provide feedback that NOT illuminating the whole reticle (obviously) reduces its value in low-light situations. It would be pretty easy, though, to wash out the whole target with "a million points of light" ;-) . Looking at the SCR2 (as shown in this thread), maybe skip on illuminating the half-mil crosses and I think it would be pretty clean and still very usable (kind of like the APLR3 from Athlon):

APLR3-FFP-IR-MIL-PWR-2515.png

Please understand that I am not bitching or complaining, but am a humble consumer trying only to offer input. I have ZERO knowledge of scope construction and therefore no idea what it would take (from a design, engineering, production, etc... perspective) to execute on the above suggestion. Obviously, both price point and profit are considerations, and I am but one person whereas the idea with ANY product is to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible. Thanks for your time and participation in this forum!

Geoff, I really appreciate you getting back to me. I hear ya, re: lit up like the Vegas strip, and would only like to provide feedback that NOT illuminating the whole reticle (obviously) reduces its value in low-light situations. It would be pretty easy, though, to wash out the whole target with "a million points of light" ;-) . Looking at the SCR2 (as shown in this thread), maybe skip on illuminating the half-mil crosses and I think it would be pretty clean and still very usable (kind of like the APLR3 from Athlon):

APLR3-FFP-IR-MIL-PWR-2515.png

Please understand that I am not bitching or complaining, but am a humble consumer trying only to offer input. I have ZERO knowledge of scope construction and therefore no idea what it would take (from a design, engineering, production, etc... perspective) to execute on the above suggestion. Obviously, both price point and profit are considerations, and I am but one person whereas the idea with ANY product is to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible. Thanks for your time and participation in this forum!
I assumed the illumination would be the red color in the images above, I am of the ilk who thinks the whole tree should be illuminated; however, done right. Since the SCR2 utilizes dots instead of a solid line for the tree stadia lines (similar to the MR4) this would be ideal as the MR4 illumination is not intrusive at all but just right for low light shooting.

I spoke with Sky about two days ago. I am hoping to have one of these to play with and to do a write up on in late February. Everything looks promising, Sky was very excited about the whole project. We didnt talk long, he was headed down to SHOT. But from what he was saying alot of the specs are in line with what was mentioned throughout this thread. Im excited for another new scope and to see how it stacks up against the competition. They are currently showing off Dorgan's model at SHOT so everyone is getting a chance to see that version anyway.

Cheers.
J. Willhite