• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

Have any of these scopes made it out into the wild yet?
Haven't seen any listed by any retailers yet, they were going to start shipping after Shot show.

I havent see anything yet. I dont know who got scopes out of the first batch or when they are going to ship.

Day3. raining cats and dogs. scope tracking phenominal.

Regards
DT
805318C7-DD68-48B2-9281-0EF0F5A3D1BD.jpeg

Last edited:
I hope I can find one for 1500ish. So far nothing lower then 1700$.

I think you will find it's only been listed for sale in that last few days, I've been looking frequently and today is that first day I've seen them listed.
Give it time and you will find them on sale.

Reactions: nrspence
Is the SCR2 Mil reticle official yet or is it still going through legal? Also, any updates on when illuminated versions might be coming out?

Reactions: GTHappy
Is the SCR2 Mil reticle official yet or is it still going through legal? Also, any updates on when illuminated versions might be coming out?

It’s legit... listed on Sport Optics website, but from my understanding it will also be the slowest to market.

I called Burris today and they said late April early May release on the xtrIII Couldn't wait and grabbed a 5x25x50 xtrII for the time being got it new for 750 so couldnt pass that up.

Reactions: Bender
Today, Sportoptics told me they expect the 5.5-30 models in June. Was hoping it would be sooner. Guess my XTR II's will have to do for a while.

So is it a cross or a floating dot. The diagram I have is a dot not a cross in the centre

SCR in the 2-10??

way too thin at 2 power let alone 10. the G2B is a great compromise in rect size and precision.

So is it a cross or a floating dot. The diagram I have is a dot not a cross in the centre

Def a cross. Just a super small one (.1 by .1) so at low powers it appears as a dot. At higher zoom zoom, its a small cross for some precise bracketing. Once I get my phone skope in the mail I will post pics

Regards,
DT

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMammoth
IMG_2075.jpg

Well its all over but the cryin. The 3 day ruck match was brutal. Roughly 37 miles according to fit bit. 85* and 85% humid also about put me down. Being from dry mtn country, I didn't think it was possible to sweat that much (ESP since our training was in 15* weather and snowy). Put on a 65 lb bag and make time restrictions on all the rucks really tested our strength/hydration. If I do this match again I will def be building a rifle that weighs half as much as my current rifle (20 lbs with mag).

We shot only 4 stages a day but had roughly 2 mile hike between every stage, and roughly 2 miles from our campground to shooting ea morning and 2 miles return to camping spot. Having nvr backpacked camped before, you really want to buckle down to the essentials. I don't think we carried anything we didn't use except extra ammo. Also could have gotten away with one pair of binos (even tho a couple stages woulda cost us) and maybe a lighter tripod.

Obviously the scope ran lights out. The new retc is really nice as well and not obstructive. I am loving the tiny cross in the middle.

Regrads,
DT

Attachments

• 2019 GA hat.jpg
    2019 GA hat.jpg
    903.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 2019 GA WALKING.jpg
    2019 GA WALKING.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 227
  • 2019 GA DOOR.jpg
    2019 GA DOOR.jpg
    765.8 KB · Views: 229
It’s legit... listed on Sport Optics website, but from my understanding it will also be the slowest to market.
I know they're posted on the sites, but haven't heard anything official from Burris on whether or not its passed through all the legal stuff mentioned early on, was hoping to see a spec sheet on the reticle detailing some of the features. The below pic is from ILya's post on page 6 of this thread:

BurrisXTRIII_reticle.jpg

way too thin at 2 power let alone 10. the G2B is a great compromise in rect size and precision.

Def a cross. Just a super small one (.1 by .1) so at low powers it appears as a dot. At higher zoom zoom, its a small cross for some precise bracketing. Once I get my phone skope in the mail I will post pics

Regards,
DT
This is music to my ears. I hate floating centre dots because my eyesight isn't great. I wish the kept the exact scr reticle and just put windage dots on it. But at least the small cross is still bigger than a dot

I know they're posted on the sites, but haven't heard anything official from Burris on whether or not its passed through all the legal stuff mentioned early on, was hoping to see a spec sheet on the reticle detailing some of the features. The below pic is from ILya's post on page 6 of this thread:

View attachment 7033671

They made a couple of small changes, but it is mostly the same.

ILya

Reactions: Glassaholic
Not sure if they are going to make an illuminated version from what I have read. Maybe the following year?

Placed one on a .308 I built. Very satisfied. Glass is very clear. Clicks are solid, Turrets are a little stiff but with time will smooth out. Repeatability is very good. Scope holds a solid 0 from shot to shot. A very good optic for the price. Am planning to put a 5×25 XTR II on a .300 Win Mag. I am now working on. Don’t think anyone will be sorry for putting a XTR II on top of any rifle.

Shot an awesome match this weekend. Was an 8-Man team State-VS-State match. There were 10 teams from diff states 3 from OK and 2 from MO 2 from TX, CO, RI, KS. CO came in 4th, 5 hits behind TX. MO won and OK was second.

2 days. 200 rnds. 20 min stage times first day and 15 min stage times second day. Wasn't easy getting 8 guys through in the time limits the second day Ill tell you that. J Watts with Fouled Bore Precision hosted the match and they have a fantastic facility just south of OK City with plenty of terrain and obstacles to run one of the funnest matches Ive ever shot. I mean you really had to work together with your squad to get through.

Anyways I got to use the 5-30 and there were 2 other XTR3's in our squad. All I can say is I am super excited about this scope. and I really really like the rect. Its super thin and very useful. I used holdovers a lot in this match to save time and it was great.

Couple pics from the match with the target turrets in action. Very cool I cant wait to get them. (pic below just shows some tape I put on my turrets to spice up the weekend HOliday for us Irish folk.

Also got the phoneskope and got to play with it about 10 mins and did a quick video. I need to play with it more, it def blocks some of the FOV so don't worry there, but the phoneskope is a fantastic deal to record as you shoot. Looking forward to using it more.

ETA - ea one of those rifles has a Ckye-Pod on them...because they are literally the best.

Regards,
DT

Attachments

• 2019 OK Team match 2.JPG
    2019 OK Team match 2.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 2019 OK Team match.JPG
    2019 OK Team match.JPG
    813 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Cant get the short clip from my phone to load...so posted a pic. Its on a 3-18.

This pic is an example of great teamwork at the match. We put our heavy bags on ea step. COF was to engage target at 400 yards with 2 rnds from ea of 5 steps. The shooter on deck had his rifle in position one and when first shooter fired his last round, on deck guy closed his bolt and was firing within 5 seconds of last shooter finishing. We had 8 shooters through in 11 minutes for 10 rnds ea fired. Super cool. Super fast.

Regards,
DT

@D_TROS, Which RRS tripod is that? Any regrets getting that one instead of their other models?

@D_TROS, Which RRS tripod is that? Any regrets getting that one instead of their other models?

I have a feisol and love it. My friend has the RRS and loves it. I just cant afford it and the feisol does everything I need. Very essential piece of gear regardless which you use.

How many cows did you hit during the comp? :p

Bummer on the video, would love to see the PhoneSkope view of using the scope/reticle in the match.

What do you call a cow with no legs? ground beef! hahaha...

Im not sure what video format this site allows, but follow me on instagram (hashtagdorgan) and I will be posting some videos there

Dtros, still showing how it’s done with the .308?

This match we all shot open rifles so I was shooting my 6BR. 26" Krieger barrel. 105's at 2910. Hammer. Kelblys RIfles is my smith. Out of 186 rounds fired, I missed 3 due bad wind, forgot to dial 2x, shot wrong target 2x, hand slipped on rear rest 1x, and barricade (car) got bumped 1x. One of the rookiest mistakes matches Ive ever shot lol...

Regards,
DT

I see these are listed with a few vendors for pre order now.
Has anyone heard when they expect to start shipping them?

It would be nice to see Burris move more toward NF position with respect to pricing strategy. I don't mean higher prices but simply using MAP agreements rather than really high MSRPs. Just put a Minimum Advertised Price in place rather than some ridiculously high MSRP that means nothing in the real world. At least then prices would be in the see neighborhood rather than having the 1500 to 2000 variation.

Still really excited to see some comparisons with production versions from the guys who get behind a lot of mid-tier and high end glass.

I’m going to get something for my first real 1000+yd rig this summer and I’m stuck between one of these and a Razor Gen2, but I’m thinking that with the SCR2 reticle and illume it’ll end up being about the same price as the Razors that are popping up for $2k these days. I do like Burris generally but at the same price (or close to it) the Razor is the better deal, right?

$7 and about a cheeseburger.

Man...I love cheeseburgers...

How is the 3-18 supposed to compare with the p4xi 4-16?

My take is this. Have seen and shot through a couple P4's. The P4 is a meat and potatoes optic. The Xtr3 is a Sushi meal. P4 has everything you need, rock solid tracking and great light gathering. The XTR3 is a different animal. It has "race" turrets (better clicks, tics oscillation and spacing, rezero screw location, white board, etc), better glass, better FOV, better retc,

The P4 costs $800, the XTR3 is double for a reason.

Still really excited to see some comparisons with production versions from the guys who get behind a lot of mid-tier and high end glass.

I’m going to get something for my first real 1000+yd rig this summer and I’m stuck between one of these and a Razor Gen2, but I’m thinking that with the SCR2 reticle and illume it’ll end up being about the same price as the Razors that are popping up for $2k these days. I do like Burris generally but at the same price (or close to it) the Razor is the better deal, right?

Even though I wasn't able to get a side by side, I recently sold my second Gen2 Vortex. They are great scopes and have everything you want in a scope - good glass and rock solid tracking. I would take a Gen2 over a kahles or NF and 10/10 times over an Athlon. I liked it that much. And the price the used ones are going for make it a great deal. ETA I sold my Gen2's for couple reasons. I didn't like the retc, and the locking knob. I accidentally locked it all the time on the clock. Very irritating.

When you compare to the XTR3 to ANY scope, there are several areas that Burris listened to shooters to add features that will translate to a better match shooting experience (higher scores) that no other scope offers. This make me glad to be shooting the XTR3 now. Those reasons are itERated in the previous 11 pages. See you in 3 hours. LOL.

ETA don't get caught up in comparing glass. This scope will perform well in that regard, just saying there is so much more to a scope than the exhausting "glass comparison" everyone loses their mind over. Only thing more annoying to me is the complimentary "how are the clicks" in every scope review thread lol. sorry rant over ha...

ReGArds
DT

Last edited:
Even though I wasn't able to get a side by side, I recently sold my second Gen2 Vortex. They are great scopes and have everything you want in a scope - good glass and rock solid tracking. I would take a Gen2 over a kahles or NF and 10/10 times over an Athlon. I liked it that much. And the price the used ones are going for make it a great deal.

When you compare to the XTR3, there are several areas that Burris listened to shooters to add features that will translate to a better match shooting experience that make me glad to be shooting the XTR3 now. Those reasons are irritated in the previous 11 pages. See you in 3 hours. LOL.

Ha I’ve read this thread (and posted to it) like 5 times back to back. That’s what happens when it’s too cold to go shooting for like 4 months :)

Thanks good to hear, sounds like I just need to get behind a gen 2 Razor and the XTR3 myself this summer and see what the glass difference is. I will say that I much prefer the balance/top-heavy feel of a 2 pound scope on top of a rifle than a 3 pounder, even on the bench. But this would be easier if the illuminated XTR3 were <$1500...

Reactions: D_TROS
When is the Burris XTR3 going to start shipping?Im starting to get interested in it.

I spoke to Burris today release is expecting late may/early June.here’s a bummer.illuminated models not being released until late this year or early next year.$1800 for a non illuminated?it better get up on the table and dance!so for all of us who want illuminated have a 9-12 month wait!!

ETA don't get caught up in comparing glass. This scope will perform well in that regard, just saying there is so much more to a scope than the exhausting "glass comparison" everyone loses their mind over. Only thing more annoying to me is the complimentary "how are the clicks" in every scope review thread lol. sorry rant over ha...

ReGArds
DT

Death by comparison? :D Unfortunately it is a reality and just something that we do innately, why are reviews so popular on websites? If I'm looking for a new car, HDTV, camera, you name it - I'm usually googling the name of the item with the word "review" immediately following. Magazines don't hold much weight for me anymore as plenty of times their reviews are biased by advertising dollars, what most people want are "honest" reviews, by real people, who use the items in the real world. And what are we really hoping to find out in the review, how that model "compares" to other models either from the same mfr or a different one. Specs are fairly easy to compare but the intangibles like "glass" and "turrets" are the things that no manufacturer is willing to quantify, at least not yet. They do make equipment that can identify light transmission, resolution, CA and other optical characteristics; however, just like MTF charts don't tell the whole story for photographic lenses, these tests won't tell the whole story either.

I admit that I get caught up in the "glass comparison" vacuum, maybe sometimes a little too much because I have my bias'. Anyone who's followed me for a while will know that one of my greatest pet peeves in sport optics is CA, it absolutely drives me nuts to pay $2k or more for an optic and see heavy CA, under $2k I'm a lot more forgiving (but still annoyed) because I believe most manufacturers should be able to control CA, especially with modern manufacturing techniques. However, that's me and I realize there are plenty of shooters who don't see CA in the conditions they shoot in and therefore are not bothered by it. I also tend to prefer "warmer" glass and I often find this warmth coming from glass manufactured in Europe vs. Japanese glass which tends to be cooler. I am not an optical engineer but I'd wager that any glass manufacturer (regardless of which continent they sit on) could make warmer or cooler glass (case in point - I find March or Deon Optics glass to be much closer in color cast to their European counterparts). But all these things are subjective, it doesn't mean they don't matter it just means we all have personal preference. Just because I prefer Brunette's doesn't mean the guy who likes Blonde's is wrong, we just have different tastes and so goes it in the sport optics world (and really any industry) which leads to all kinds of different options to choose from. But this presents another dilemma, with so many options to choose from, "which one do I choose?" is usually what most begin to think, and so they look to review sites and forums like Snipers Hide to get various opinions. Most consumers want the most for their money, and by most it depends on what they are looking for - what matters "most" to them. With FFP long range shooters the first priority is usually tracking - do those turrets track true throughout the range of elevation and windage, next up might be reticle or glass and all the nuances that come along with that. Then there's ergonomics like length, weight, illumination, resistance of turrets and magnification ring, etc. that matter to some.

As a competitive shooter DT, I think you've shown the new XTR III can certainly track true and by experience with other scopes can give a thumbs up on quality both mechanically and optically. So when comments are made by others like "I'm waiting to see how the XTR III compares to Brand X Model Y" I don't think it's because they don't trust you or others, I think it's simply because they want to know that this is the best scope for them within the budgetary constraints they have. That being said, I do like what you say about certain features or attention to detail that Burris has accomplished with the XTR III, for competitors the "Race Dial" feature is really slick and I can certainly see a benefit if you know distances ahead of time. I'm one who thought the XTR II turrets were some of the best for a $1k optic so to hear that the XTR III is even better is icing on the cake. So it usually comes down to glass comparison and I'm not so much concerned with how does XTR III glass compare to brand X model Y, but simply put - how good is the XTR III glass on its own merits? I purchased a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 soon after they first released and my scope suffered from an extremely finicky eyebox due to an optical aberration that some of the first 4-20's suffered from, this caused eye fatigue quicker than any other higher end scope I had used before. That jaded me for several years toward Burris, especially with the issues the first T5Xi scopes had that were made at the same Burris facility, those first 5-25 and 3-15 scopes had more CA than I'd seen in any scope regardless of price which immediately turned me off, not to mention some of the tracking issues they tried to ignore initially. But I'm a forgiving person and was finally convinced by birddog to give the 4-20 another shot, he assured me they had addressed some of those early issues and last year I bought another during one of their crazy sales and was pleasantly surprised to see the glass was much better and now I have no issues recommending the newer XTR II 4-20 especially for those tight on budget (they can be had for well under $1k these days if you do your homework). As for the T5Xi, I have no desire to try another because many still report CA issues, that and the fact that the new XTR III tromps it in FOV and magnification, the XTR III 5.5-30 actually has wider FOV at 5.5 (23.0' @ 100y) than the T5Xi 5-25 at 5x (21.4' @ 100y) plus the XTR III 5.5-25 is also shorter and lighter and according to DT has better turrets - win win as long as the glass is not horrific, which early signs indicate it is not and, in fact, is very good for the price.

While my previous experiences with Burris and Steiner have made me trepidatious (I will not be another early adopter), I am very excited to see these scopes come to market because I believe they have the potential to shake up the market if they live up to the pre-release reputation. I have an opportunity to go visit Burris this year once they have the SCR2 reticles available at the Greeley manufacturing facility so I am anxious to get up there soon and experience these scopes first hand.

I spoke to Burris today release is expecting late may/early June.here’s a bummer.illuminated models not being released until late this year or early next year.$1800 for a non illuminated?it better get up on the table and dance!so for all of us who want illuminated have a 9-12 month wait!!
That is a bummer about the wait for illumination, but I'm not that surprised as I thought Burris was a bit aggressive in its time-frame from the get go. Once these scopes hit the market and start selling like hotcakes I would not be surprised to see prices trickle down into the $1500 range.

If Vortex were able to shed a pound of weight from the Razor G2 they would've been able to steal a lot of people waiting on the Burris.

Reactions: stilesg57
I had a short and sweet conversation with Sky Leighton yesterday. It didnt run long, he has an awful lot on his plate right now, but we covered some good stuff.

He personally jumped in on a customer service issue for a very good friend of mine and got him taken care of in about an hour. For which I was very appreciative.

Burris has more great stuff on the horizon as well as the XTR3, I think people are really going to like what they are working on. I believe he said ( and I may be mistaken) that some moa versions of the XTR3 are ready to go to market, and mil versions are close.

As mentioned earlier there were some slight changes to the SCR2, all of them for the better. The time frame for that reticle to start going in to scopes is very near.

So it's all coming together. These should start showing up in the wild very soon. I'm pretty excited to see what people think.