• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

Anything about a possible LPVO in like 1-8x with illuminated non-BDC reticle? I'm thinking of something like a ZP8 or even NX8.
The only new LPVOs that Burris has announced are the RT-8 series, which are not going to be NX8 competitors... more like Viper PST Gen II or maybe Whiskey5-level stuff. That said, the $799 DFP option is probably going to be interesting, if nothing else.

Any reason the XTR III manual isn't online?? Should be a no-brainer to get loaded up on the web site. Anyone know any place to download it?

Christmas just came early today. The XTRIII that I put a T&E request in for back in March finally arrived today. It's the 5.5-30 with SCR2 reticle and to be honest I don't think they're going to get it back. Trying to figure out what rifle to put it on now.

I like this post ?

Christmas just came early today. The XTRIII that I put a T&E request in for back in March finally arrived today. It's the 5.5-30 with SCR2 reticle and to be honest I don't think they're going to get it back. Trying to figure out what rifle to put it on now.

Lol, what are the requirements to get a T&E?

I have a side gig doing reviews and articles, mostly online blogs but I did have an article in a print magazine last year, which was cool. Other than media I don't know what their T&E criteria are.

Last edited:
I have a side gig doing reviews and articles, mostly online blogs but I did have an article in a print magazine last year, which was cool. Other than media I don't know what their T&E criteria are.

Let us know when you put up your review. Maybe drop a copy on here?

I just read the G&A review on the XTR3. It's been out a bit but I hadn't seen it. I know those mags shy away from being critical, but he was clearly impressed.

So looking forward to your thoughts.

Should be able to drop it on here once it's done, I don't know specifically when that will be though so I don't want anyone to think I'll be posting something up next month.

I'm pretty excited though, I have some cold range trips to look forward to because I have this and the Bergara B14R coming so fun fun.

Well, after about 6 weeks or so, I got a new scope back from Burris. For reference, I have the 3.3-18. I had the same problems with mine as WJM mentioned in one of his posts. The glass was pretty clear up to around 12x, then really started to degrade as I moved the scope up in power. I hung on to it for about a week and took it to the range a few times, and even got out a few times hunting with it. The best way to describe it was it was almost like the scope was in "portrait mode", especially as you went up in power. There would be certain parts of the image that were relatively clear, and other parts that were really fuzzy and out of focus. No amount of parralax adjustment, diopter focus, etc, would bring the image into a clear state. I compared it side by side with my Leupold 3-18 Mark 5, and the image quality was so much better in the Leupold past 12x I figured there had to be something wrong with this one. So I sent it in November 11th.

There were a few folks on the forum here that offered to help if I ran into any Customer service issues, but out of curiousity I wanted to see how Burris handled the return. First and foremost, to their credit, Burris sent me a brand new scope. Initial impressions back out of the box are good, the turrets definitely aren't as stiff as my other scope. I am not sure on the image quality, I will check it out when I remount the scope. As far as the return went, Burris could definitely use some work on that process. I tried calling a few times, waited on hold forever, and then gave up on the process. I then created an online profile and handled the return that way. I received an RMA # and a case number. There is some verbiage in the return process that says you would be informed during the whole process. I hadn't heard anything from Burris after about 3-4 weeks, so I logged into my profile and saw that they actually updated the case around the 22nd (7 days after they got it, not bad) and it said "replace". The frustrating thing was I had to check on that myself, no one from Burris emailed, called, etc, to let me know. A couple weeks had transpired from the time I checked on the case from when they updated it. It was then another couple of weeks until I got a new scope, I can only assume they didn't have any when they updated my case and decided to replace it on the 22nd.

Holy shit this post is getting long...I am not really posting this to bash Burris or anything, I really want to like this scope and support a company that is trying to manufacture this in the USA. Maybe someone from Burris will see this and refine their return process. To compare a little, oddly enough I had my Kilo 2400 ABS shit the bed while hunting. It would shut off when I hit the range button. I called up Sig, talked to a really helpful human being, and had a brand new unit on my doorstep a week later. This is including my ship time to them, they next day aired the thing to me. I've had similar experiences with Vortex . Hopefully this new model will fit the bill and the issues I had with my original will be a non issue.

Reactions: klf and tam4511
Well, after about 6 weeks or so, I got a new scope back from Burris. For reference, I have the 3.3-18. I had the same problems with mine as WJM mentioned in one of his posts. The glass was pretty clear up to around 12x, then really started to degrade as I moved the scope up in power. I hung on to it for about a week and took it to the range a few times, and even got out a few times hunting with it. The best way to describe it was it was almost like the scope was in "portrait mode", especially as you went up in power. There would be certain parts of the image that were relatively clear, and other parts that were really fuzzy and out of focus. No amount of parralax adjustment, diopter focus, etc, would bring the image into a clear state. I compared it side by side with my Leupold 3-18 Mark 5, and the image quality was so much better in the Leupold past 12x I figured there had to be something wrong with this one. So I sent it in November 11th.

There were a few folks on the forum here that offered to help if I ran into any Customer service issues, but out of curiousity I wanted to see how Burris handled the return. First and foremost, to their credit, Burris sent me a brand new scope. Initial impressions back out of the box are good, the turrets definitely aren't as stiff as my other scope. I am not sure on the image quality, I will check it out when I remount the scope. As far as the return went, Burris could definitely use some work on that process. I tried calling a few times, waited on hold forever, and then gave up on the process. I then created an online profile and handled the return that way. I received an RMA # and a case number. There is some verbiage in the return process that says you would be informed during the whole process. I hadn't heard anything from Burris after about 3-4 weeks, so I logged into my profile and saw that they actually updated the case around the 22nd (7 days after they got it, not bad) and it said "replace". The frustrating thing was I had to check on that myself, no one from Burris emailed, called, etc, to let me know. A couple weeks had transpired from the time I checked on the case from when they updated it. It was then another couple of weeks until I got a new scope, I can only assume they didn't have any when they updated my case and decided to replace it on the 22nd.

Holy shit this post is getting long...I am not really posting this to bash Burris or anything, I really want to like this scope and support a company that is trying to manufacture this in the USA. Maybe someone from Burris will see this and refine their return process. To compare a little, oddly enough I had my Kilo 2400 ABS shit the bed while hunting. It would shut off when I hit the range button. I called up Sig, talked to a really helpful human being, and had a brand new unit on my doorstep a week later. This is including my ship time to them, they next day aired the thing to me. I've had similar experiences with Vortex . Hopefully this new model will fit the bill and the issues I had with my original will be a non issue.

Let's hope they can improve the process in the future. It's frustrating not being kept updated, sometimes you don't mind how long the process takes, you just want to know something it's actually being done.

Hopefully the new scope works out ok.
If you could post a comparison/opinion between it and your 3.6-18 MK5, that'd be most interesting.

Sounds similar to how Steiner operates out of Greeley so I’d be curious if all the warranties, repairs, and CS are handled by the same people. I’ve been excited for and holding out for the illuminated XTRIII but want nothing to do with it if the warranties and like are handled by the same people.

Anyone know if the process for adjusting the vertical turret down (for zeroing) is the same as the XTR II?

Let's hope they can improve the process in the future. It's frustrating not being kept updated, sometimes you don't mind how long the process takes, you just want to know something it's actually being done.

Hopefully the new scope works out ok.
If you could post a comparison/opinion between it and your 3.6-18 MK5, that'd be most interesting.
Thanks, helpful feedback.

I havent heard any updates on it I'm afraid.

It's the next highest priority on the XTR3 lineup, but how it's looking for a timeline I havent heard. My personal hope would be first half of 2020 so the crossover hunting scope folks can take them into the field. I'm in that line myself.

I havent heard any updates on it I'm afraid.

It's the next highest priority on the XTR3 lineup, but how it's looking for a timeline I havent heard. My personal hope would be first half of 2020 so the crossover hunting scope folks can take them into the field. I'm in that line myself.
Are you aware of when the race dials are going to be available?

And does anyone know if the tenebreax ard's are compatible with the 5.5-30?

I picked up an XTR III 5.5-30 and i have to re-zero a lot. I went out yesterday and it was all over the place. I re-zeroed and the first group was decent then they went down and right. They kept getting worse until it was off the paper. Is this a tracking issue?

XTR III.jpg

Looks like it, or something is loose. Did you try to swap out another scope on your rifle to see if it is repeated?

I picked up an XTR III 5.5-30 and i have to re-zero a lot. I went out yesterday and it was all over the place. I re-zeroed and the first group was decent then they went down and right. They kept getting worse until it was off the paper. Is this a tracking issue?

View attachment 7226734

Could be about any 10 things.

Diagnose time
- scope base tight
-action screws tight
-scope rings tight
-allens in turrets tight

not hand tight but torq'd down

problem still persists
-swap scopes as mentioned
-swap ammo
-swap scope to different rifle

Even tho I havnt heard of a single problem with this scope, doesn't mean one wont squeak through the cracks.

GL
DT

Could be about any 10 things.

Diagnose time
- scope base tight
-action screws tight
-scope rings tight
-allens in turrets tight

not hand tight but torq'd down

problem still persists
-swap scopes as mentioned
-swap ammo
-swap scope to different rifle

Even tho I havnt heard of a single problem with this scope, doesn't mean one wont squeak through the cracks.

GL
DT
I did the following twice - everything torq'd to spec
- scope base tight
-action screws tight
-scope rings tight
-allens in turrets tight
APA Rings
Torque specs;
Base Nuts: 30 in-lbs
Ring Tops: 15 in-lbs

I don't have another rifle to swap out but i did try my XTR II with Burris rings and didn't have a problem. I hate to lose 4-5 weeks while it's being looked at.

Reactions: x_789
I got a bad one from an image quality standpoint. My new one looks much better. I haven't had it out much yet to check tracking.

I hate to lose 4-5 weeks while it's being looked at.
My experience was longer, but who knows, maybe they have more in stock now. My post 1078 sort of describes my CS experience with them. Be interested to see how your experience goes if there is indeed an issue with the scope and you have to send it in. I am rooting for Burris to respond quickly, and rectify whatever the issue is if it was a scope issue. As consumers, all we can do is post about our experiences honestly, and hope that Burris would try to do better where needed. Seems like the scope market is so frickin competitive right now with so many choices I have a feeling that the market will tend to sort itself out if there was ongoing issues with the scope. I liked the feature set of my 3.3-18, really like the assembled in USA part, just wasn't real impressed with the CS on my warranty return.

I did the following twice - everything torq'd to spec
- scope base tight
-action screws tight
-scope rings tight
-allens in turrets tight
APA Rings
Torque specs;
Base Nuts: 30 in-lbs
Ring Tops: 15 in-lbs

I don't have another rifle to swap out but i did try my XTR II with Burris rings and didn't have a problem. I hate to lose 4-5 weeks while it's being looked at.
I had an issue of theme wrong scope model in the box and they got me the correct one in two days. Hopefully they take care of you quickly.

Improving CS is always on the radar. Hopefully they will get turn times and communication improved in 2020.

We've seen a few issues here on the Hide with the XTR3. Overall I think the rollout has gone well. Returns are low even with an item or two that was definitely a new scope rollout issue. They've been cranking out a couple hundred of these a month. And it's been far less buggy than the rollout of the XTR2, which had a few glaring across the board issues.

The XTR3 has been more like whack a mole of various little bugs and glitches. Easier to clean up.

I've seen 7 of these in the wild now and they've all been solid. There was another 18x at the NRL22 match this month. We had them side by side along with mine with a bunch of fellas playing with them, I'm pretty sure at least one of those guys is going to have one at next months match, if not a couple of them. I've definitely seen a few guys that I never thought would shoot a Burris buy the XTR3.

Reactions: cracker777
So are these getting an illuminated SKU?
My 3.3-18 is nice so far but I wouldn't mind getting an illuminated reticle since that center dot is so small.

So are these getting an illuminated SKU?
My 3.3-18 is nice so far but I wouldn't mind getting an illuminated reticle since that center dot is so small.
It's apparently so small you didn't realize it's actually not a center dot, it is a center cross ;) I hear you, I have my non-illuminated for sale for the same reason, would prefer illumination, but to birddog's point, does it really "need" illumination, I wonder if it's more a mental thing.

It's apparently so small you didn't realize it's actually not a center dot, it is a center cross ;) I hear you, I have my non-illuminated for sale for the same reason, would prefer illumination, but to birddog's point, does it really "need" illumination, I wonder if it's more a mental thing.

Hahaha! I didnt even realize it was a cross. I wonder if it would look like a cross under the 25x mag. It's one of those where I don't know if I'd need it but would like an option. I definitely just need to go shoot more and it probably wont be an issue.

Reactions: D_TROS
Hahaha! I didnt even realize it was a cross. I wonder if it would look like a cross under the 25x mag. It's one of those where I don't know if I'd need it but would like an option. I definitely just need to go shoot more and it probably wont be an issue.
I have the 5.5x30 and the center cross is pretty small until you get to around 12x. I would prefer a center dot, but it's growing on me. So far it is tracking well. We'll see how it does for a few matches

For anyone curious, I hit up Burris the other day about a military/LEO/first responder discount. I was told they don’t have any plans to offer the XTR 3 in that program now or in the near future. I sure would like to try one out on one of my match rifles, but I don’t see spending money on one when NF and Leupold offers such a great military discount.

I asked at SHOT about illuminated models and for now still a no go.

I had also hoped to see an RT8 as I heard that was in the works but nothing about a new RT8 in the booth either.

I asked at SHOT about illuminated models and for now still a no go.

I had also hoped to see an RT8 as I heard that was in the works but nothing about a new RT8 in the booth either.
Illumination would be a sweet option on these, I hope they make them in the future.

I spoke with Burris' CS on Facebook about the race dial and they said they are in stock and ready to ship, but need to be ordered through a dealer. Idk why i can't get one off their site.
Anyone know of a big burris dealer that would have access to these?

For anyone curious, I hit up Burris the other day about a military/LEO/first responder discount. I was told they don’t have any plans to offer the XTR 3 in that program now or in the near future. I sure would like to try one out on one of my match rifles, but I don’t see spending money on one when NF and Leupold offers such a great military discount.

This is actually a bit of refreshing honesty from a scope company.

It's not that they aren't going to ever offer the XTR3 through their First Responder program. They simply have no scopes available for it at this time. When the XTR3 went up for sale/preorder, they pretty much sold the entire years allotment by the end of Shot Show 2018.

It's going to take a year or so to get caught up and have surplus that can be funneled towards the military and LEO programs.

I spoke with Burris' CS on Facebook about the race dial and they said they are in stock and ready to ship, but need to be ordered through a dealer. Idk why i can't get one off their site.
Anyone know of a big burris dealer that would have access to these?

Burris has very few items that they sell direct. Nearly everything goes out to authorized Burris dealers.

Even the First Responder program is handled by an authorized dealer.

I'm looking forward to seeing those Race Dials hit the market.

This is actually a bit of refreshing honesty from a scope company.

It's not that they aren't going to ever offer the XTR3 through their First Responder program. They simply have no scopes available for it at this time. When the XTR3 went up for sale/preorder, they pretty much sold the entire years allotment by the end of Shot Show 2018.

It's going to take a year or so to get caught up and have surplus that can be funneled towards the military and LEO programs.

It’s to bad they can’t keep up with the demand.

It’s to bad they can’t keep up with the demand.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I can't think of any manufacturer who can roll out a new product and immediately satisfy every consumer.

If this is our litmus, then no one can keep up with demand.

View attachment 7226734
I shipped my scope on the 20th, recieved a message it was not repairable, and a bran new one landed on my doorstep today. Not a bad turnaround. I'll take it out to the range this weekend and see what's what.

I shipped my scope on the 20th, recieved a message it was not repairable, and a bran new one landed on my doorstep today. Not a bad turnaround. I'll take it out to the range this weekend and see what's what.
Glad you got taken care of. We're you able to speak with anyone?

Glad you got taken care of. We're you able to speak with anyone?
I didn't, they said this in the email, "Your product has been evaluated and found to be non-repairable. " I would like to know what they found. If i call they will tell me?

Reactions: tam4511
I doubt it. When I had my II repaired it came back with a note the parallax was adjusted and tightened, and that was it.

I didn't, they said this in the email, "Your product has been evaluated and found to be non-repairable. " I would like to know what they found. If i call they will tell me?

It's a long shot to get a hold of someone honestly.
I had a issue with the wrong model scope being in the box, and although I had a new scope in 4 days, I tried to contact them multiple times just to be able to speak with someone, and no luck.

Anyone have a link or info on the xtriii 5.5-35 dimensions? I'm trying to get some tenebreax or aard caps.