• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTRii vs $30 Tasco

I have been very happy with my XTRII 1-5x that is on my AR... Love the reticle. I'm not much of an expert on glass, but my 53 year old eyes looks thru it and sees what I want to hit, and hits it.
I'm eyeballing a 5-25 XTRII to replace 23 year old Mk4-M-1,

I'm happy with my XTR 2 4-20. It's better than my Vortex PST, but not as clear as my Athlon Cronus. Exactly where it should be based upon the price.

I have a 4-20 and a 5-25. No complaints at all. And I have more expensive scopes.

I bought my scope online, Never looked through one before hand. I still havent seen a xtr2 in the wild, it's been over a year and I visit the local cabelas and other gun shops quite frequently. I put forward my experience not to bash Burris or say all xtr2 glass is bad. If you could look through all scopes of interest before buying, it would bring world peace to this forum. To the guys who have no issues with the glass, that is awesome and I envy you. If my scope comes back healed or replaced and the clarity is there for me then I will gladly continue using the scope.

Last edited:
20-20 vision is one indicator of your vision and can be gotten by an optometrist. It basically describes your distance and near vision and is usually measured in a high contrast environment in a dim room with strong lighting on the target. In other words, nothing resembling what you are looking at through the scope. We all have strengths and weaknesses in our vision. Color rendition and resolution being one of them and visual acuity being another. Greens and blues as well as reds can be problematic for some folks. This is where chromatic aberration can really mess with you when peering through your scope.
I suggest a visit with a ophthalmologist for a comprehensive eye examination to include color and muscular measurement. It will cost you a pretty penny but may help you be more satisfied with your current and future scope purchases.

I took a new Burris XTR II mounted on a Ruger Precision 6.5 creedmore to a LR class a few weeks ago. I am a bit new to the sport so when we began to have trouble a longer ranges I thought it was most likely us as shooters. Then I shot the instructors riffle and rang the gong at 1000yds several times and my son did as well. I then asked the head instructor (who retired from running the Air Force Sniper School) to shoot my gun. He took a few shots missing the target and immediately commented that he could not get the Parallax out of the scope even turned to infinity with a target at 800yds. Sent the scope back to Burris and they tested and returned to me stating they could find nothing wrong. It was within specs. Anyone else have this problem with the XTR II? or any other suggestions?

Thanks
JW

I took a new Burris XTR II mounted on a Ruger Precision 6.5 creedmore to a LR class a few weeks ago. I am a bit new to the sport so when we began to have trouble a longer ranges I thought it was most likely us as shooters. Then I shot the instructors riffle and rang the gong at 1000yds several times and my son did as well. I then asked the head instructor (who retired from running the Air Force Sniper School) to shoot my gun. He took a few shots missing the target and immediately commented that he could not get the Parallax out of the scope even turned to infinity with a target at 800yds. Sent the scope back to Burris and they tested and returned to me stating they could find nothing wrong. It was within specs. Anyone else have this problem with the XTR II? or any other suggestions?

Thanks
JW

In early spring a guy I met at the local long range spot had testified the exact same, a 5-25, though two trips for him with the original scope, after he received it back twice unfixed they sent him another 5-25, that ironically had the same problem??? Never saw him again so it's all I have to say. Hope the issue was resolved!

Thanks
JW

I had no issue ringing steel with my XTRii. At least none that were the scope's fault.

There are are so many factors that could change between your rifle and the instructors rifle I'm not sure I would jump straight to scope issue.

General statement: Everyone wants to bash the Burris on glass quality. To be fair, I'm sure there are some bad scopes that get out there. It happens with every brand. But to say that the scope is terrible because the glass isn't as good as a $2500 scope is just not a fair comparison.

I bought into some of that that before I knew better. The Burris was the most expensive scope I owned. I heard all the talk and knew I must be missing out so I stepped up and got a vortex AMG expecting it would be a night and day difference.

Is it a better scope? Yep... has it made me a better shooter? Nope.... Did the Burris ever cause me to miss a shot? Nope... has the glass on the AMG ever helped me make a shot I would have missed with the Burris? Nope...

The XTRii is a great scope for the money. Sorry that some people have had trouble with them but let's not continually blow it out of proportion.

A little update on my situation, Big thank you to Birddog for letting the burris folks know about this thread. Doug from burris contacted me and was very helpful. Scope went in for a full examination this morning and didnt pass the test. I was called by Jeremy from burris and he told me that the scope wasnt holding parallax under recoil. He mentioned some other things but i dont remember everything he said. I will be receiving a brand new scope. I am very pleased with burris' customer service and the promptness. I was able to look through a 3-15 xtr2 a few days ago and the glass was better to my eyes than my 4-20. Im looking forward to getting my replacement and hoping for the best.

So glad to hear you are getting fair resolution to your scope issues!! The CS at Burris has been getting some pretty good reviews lately and it's always nice to see it firsthand.

Let me know how the new scope looks.

Yup! Burris CS is on point, and they are fast about it too. I had a 1-5 replaced with a brand new one within 2 weeks (illumination went out), new one works like a charm and is crystal clear.
I just received my 4-20, havent used it yet, but the glass looks just fine so far, very nice for the price especially considering the $100 rebate.
Im with Rerun7 on this one. Ive owned an Athlon Cronus, used a Vortex Razor, and to me, while there is a difference between the XTR2 and higher-end scopes, its not a big enough difference for me to feel like im missing out. In fact, it doesnt really quite justify the price difference to me personally. That may change as i save up more money, but for now im perfectly happy with the XTR2. I do agree that people are blowing the whole "Burris has bad glass" thing WAY out of proportion. There may have been some lemons out there or something, but ive been behind several now and can say without a doubt they punch much higher than their pricepoint.

Last edited:
Just used my 4-20 XTR2 from 100 to 1100 yards, no problem at all. The torso target was nice crisp and clear, no weird colors or blurring, parallax worked, illumination worked in bright daylight, seemed to track fine but I didn't formally test that. It was HOT HOT HOT outside too, the flip-up lens covers that are usually pretty darn tight, slipped off like grease due to the heat. The scope itself was getting uncomfortable to touch. But it did absolutely fine and I'm very pleased with the performance, especially knowing I got it for well under $900.

I recently got a XTRII 3-15 SCR non-illuminated. I have used it for coyote hunting and it has been more than adequate at finding the sneaky critters in the tall grass and weeds. I have made shots on yotes to 340 yards and made hits on steel to 1120 yards with a 223 75 grain amax. 2 of the coyotes were shot at dusk and dawn and low light performance was workable, much better than me previously mounted swfa 10x. I do not feel the glass is as nice as my Bushnell LRTS but it is close to my Bushnell HDMR gen 1. It doesn't blow me away in the glass department but it is adequate for my needs. The SCR reticle is also nice.

I have had the 5x25 for about r months and for the price point I don't think it is matched. Yeah at the high magnification the picture is not as clear as a 2500 to 3000 dollar scope . But come one that what the extra 1000 to 1500 dollars buys you. I have had no tracking , repeatability issues or functionalitly issues. Most shooter errors. If i had 2500 to spend i would but it just isnt feasable. I would send the unit back and if they cant fix it they should replace it. I wouild make them h onor the warranty, if it was straight out of the box I would see if they would give you a discount on an accessory for your troubles. Good luck