• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bushing dies with expander ball

SeanD

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2008
I plan on necking down Norma/nosler brass for 6.5/280ackley with redding type S FL dies.
​​​​​
Not planning on neckturning, my rifle was chambered as a "tight no turn".

For brass that is not neck turned, does anybody use the expander ball? My thought was if I used a bushing that only very slightly undersized the neck (much less undersized than a std FL die) I could use the expander ball to only ever so slightly open the neck. The brass would not be overworked like a normal FL die does, and the concentricity may be better than I would get with just normal bushing and no expander since my brass isn't turned.
​​​​​​
does anybody do it have experience with this? My normal practice to date has been with Lee collet dies, this is my first time using bushing dies. Bushing dies make sense forthe 6.5/280ai since I don't have to go full custom on dies, but I'm just not sure how well they will work since I'm not planning on neck turning.

Thanks.
​​​