• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cactus Weapons

Del Rio TX? Pics look like the old HD Rifles who was also in Del Rio. Any connection?

Wasn't "Cactus Weapons" formed after Hicks went away with a bunch of peoples money? Haven't heard about them for some time now.

yes, this is the old HD that was later Clay, then sold to the Doctor who then sold it to Franklin who was their apprentice machinist.

Franklin is a nice guy, tried to sort out a lot of the HD mess, even got me my rifle that was paid for doing the HD / Dr transition mess...

But it's all part of that HD Rifles Legacy

That's the same people, been waiting YEARS for my rifle, finally told it is ready...woohoo. Then told he cant export, OK so I tell him to ship it to friends of mine in the US and then total loss of comms.

Its the 7mm WSM that is for sale on the site now!!!!!!

WTF

Ewen

That's the same people, been waiting YEARS for my rifle, finally told it is ready...woohoo. Then told he cant export, OK so I tell him to ship it to friends of mine in the US and then total loss of comms.

Its the 7mm WSM that is for sale on the site now!!!!!!

WTF

Ewen

I remember you from the HD Rifles/Hicks mess and you're still waiting for resolution? I had a rifle build with them at the same time but was lucky enough to get mine just before Hicks went missing. You are a patient and understanding man. Good luck

Patience is a little bit forced on me living across the Atlantic, I dare say if I was in the US I would not be near as patient.

Ewen

All things aside if hicks was still around would you let him build you a rifle today?

Rich

Jeff built good rifles but just couldn't run a business. If he stuck to what he knew then he would have been alright.

I was in that HD rifles mess too. I was lucky enough that cactus had finished my build and did okay by me, although I never got the scope that was supposed to be with the package. Oh well, I was pleased with them and the rifle was quality.

Jeff built good rifles but just couldn't run a business. If he stuck to what he knew then he would have been alright.

I visited them before they really got behind, In my opinion he was taking major shortcuts on truing the actions. He used ( I believe it was a ptg) a tap to clean up the threads on the actions. That is not my idea of the best practice for precision rifles. I do not know if he was reaming the bolt raceway and sleeving (should go take a look at my bolts), or if he was truing the locking lugs properly. I have two of his rifles by the way.

Danny

btw, no I would not have him build a rifle today. I saw his shop and how they did things. To many shortcuts on the actual gunwork as well as the business side.

Last edited:
I visited them before they really got behind, In my opinion he was taking major shortcuts on truing the actions. He used ( I believe it was a ptg) a tap to clean up the threads on the actions. That is not my idea of the best practice for precision rifles. I do not know if he was reaming the bolt raceway and sleeving (should go take a look at my bolts), or if he was truing the locking lugs properly. I have two of his rifles by the way.

Danny

btw, no I would not have him build a rifle today. I saw his shop and how they did things. To many shortcuts on the actual gunwork as well as the business side.

The rifle that HD built for me during this mess was a .338 LM. Don't know why I was one of the lucky ones to get my rifle when so many didn't but it arrived with a badly cratered bolt face and an + .015" headspace.

A friend had them build a AICS Remington build years ago, was very tedious, and rifle arrived somewhat differently than ordered. But in the end he was happy with it, has always shot lights out. Now my little brother owns it, still a great rifle.
The communication was horrible during the build, and in my opinion more money than it was worth, I'd steer clear of them. Compared to others it looks like my buddy got off easy.

Danny

The rifle he built for me back when he was still with Answer Products and the 300WM he did when he was on his own were both very accurate. Not sure what happened later but he did build a good rifle at one time. That was my point.