• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber choice for .284 barrel blank

18Echo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2007
Maricopa Co., AZ
I have a Rem 700 LA on hand and a Krieger 1:9 .284 MTU contour barrel on it's way. I have Gary Ocock lined up to put everything together.

Original plan was 7mm Rem Mag, but after reading many posts and then checking out the 6mmBR.com section on 7mm's I'm having second thoughts.

I want a 1K plus gun, however most distances would be local ranges which is 600 yards max.

I will be reloading for this rifle. I HAVE NEVER RELOADED BEFORE, THIS WILL BE MY FIRST FORAY INTO THIS! (just started buying components) I need something that I don't have to reform one brass caliber for what I'm shooting. I'd like to get multiple reloads from the shells. And would prefer a barrel that wasn't shot out after break in and load development.

I want a caliber that can punch steel, as well as bring down North American game.

I am now up in the air over the following calibers: 7mm RM, 7mm WSM, or .284 Winchester. (barrel will sport an FTE break)

For a cherry to reloading what would be a good fit for what I'm looking for? Opinions and advice appreciated.

Re: Caliber choice for .284 barrel blank

7WSM would be tough to beat but a waste of a good long action. There is nothing wrong with a 7mm RM, or 284 Win

Do you have a local buddy that knows (and I mean, really understands, not just hacks around) reloading?

The 7WSM is supposed to be a really wonderful round. On paper it's great. I haven't seen it be able to stand against a 280 AI though.

The upside is that it has factory ammo around for it, so that helps you get to shooting, the 284 is a great round. I believe recently that 300SNIPER built a 284 and recorded repeated hits at 1400yds with it, in crap weather.

The 280AI requires brass fire-forming, but the parent brass (30-06) is easy to get, and if you want to practice on cheap brass to form from, get some surplus military to play with.

The list of cartridges you listed are all good, as a new stick that will get the vast majority of it's life at 600 or less, I'd say you should just conserve component costs and get the 284 Win.

It's not a 1200y elk round unless you're really good at shot placement out there, but the question begs to be asked "why not just get a little closer first"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7WSM would be tough to beat but a waste of a good long action. There is nothing wrong with a 7mm RM, or 284 Win </div></div>

The WSM does not feed well in a short action and if you want rounds in the mag at full length then a long action is required. The 7WSM will get you great accuracy and longer barrel life then a RM or a 284 WIN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The WSM does not feed well in a short action and if you want rounds in the mag at full length then a long action is required. The 7WSM will get you great accuracy and longer barrel life then a RM or a 284 WIN. </div></div>

That is not an accurate statement, in my experience.
I have had zero feeding issues with my 7Wizzer from a Surgeon SA & Wyatt's extended mag box below it. And the guys who built it (GAP) know how to chamber the barrel appropriately to make it work...
At 2.875" col with a 162AMAX, I'm kissing the lands and the Wizzer eats them like cherries & spits out the pit. It'll feed 180VLDS kissing too, but the 162s at just under 3,000fps gets the job done for me to 1,000 easily...

What size bolt face does your action have? If it already has a Magnum bolt face, you will either have to bush it or get a new bolt to go to a cartridge with a .473 case head. If it has the .473, then you will have to have the bolt face opened up for a Magnum and an aftermarket extractor installed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The WSM does not feed well in a short action and if you want rounds in the mag at full length then a long action is required. The 7WSM will get you great accuracy and longer barrel life then a RM or a 284 WIN.</div></div>

Now that's full round of BS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What size bolt face does your action have? If it already has a Magnum bolt face, you will either have to bush it or get a new bolt to go to a cartridge with a .473 case head. If it has the .473, then you will have to have the bolt face opened up for a Magnum and an aftermarket extractor installed.

</div></div>

It's a magnum bolt face but depending on the final caliber decision I'll just get a PTG replacement if needed.

7mm RM and WSM both take the mag bolt face and the .284win does not correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The WSM does not feed well in a short action and if you want rounds in the mag at full length then a long action is required. </div></div>

My 7WSM(in a 700 S/A) feeds like a fat bitch at a buffet via Badger M5 & modded AICS mags. KNow of a few that are running them from the belly less an issue. Also, .010 in the lands with a 180 Berger VLD is doable in the said AICS mag. Throating accordingly will do wonders....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and longer barrel life then a RM or a 284 WIN. </div></div>

Bullshit.

Correct, I like 280AI you get a little more volume than a .284 win and it feeds like a dream, also no loss in magazine capacity, I'm building one in a Howa la over 3.5" mag length with a Hart 1-8 for the berger's 180

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

7mm RM and WSM both take the mag bolt face and the .284win does not correct? </div></div>

Correct. .473 boltface for the .284Win.

Like DMANN said,

The first thing you should look at would be what boltface your action has.

If it is a standard bolt face: 280 Ackley. That is what I shoot and love it!! And buy the way FIREFORMING IS NOT NECESSARY. Nosler sells 280 Ackley brass ready to go!!!

If it is a magnum bolt face the 7mm remington is good. In my opinion I would have the bolt face opened up a bit and run a 7WSM. The 7wsm is a hammer!!! And very accurate. It will feed just fine from a short action and Is probally even better in a Long action. It all depends on how the reamer is set up.

You will be pleased either way.

I shoot a 280 Ackley with 180 VLDs.
My shooting partner (shootone) shoots a 7WSM with 180 VLDs.Both guns are built buy GAP

The 7 WSM is a little faster than the 280 AI
But neither one is more accurate than the other.

The pros of the 280 is you will use less powder than the 7WSM and Nosler brass is way better than Winchester IMO.

The Cons are you have to buy the Nosler brass (which aint cheap) if you dont want to fireform. And you would be crazy to fireform if you dont have to.

So to me after all this typing, It comes down to the boltface you have. You will be extremly pleased with either one.

Oh anyone that says the 280 AI wont feed properly. Well they dont own one or used a smith that dont know how to build a good rifle!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is for 7mm SAUM. </div></div>

Or the 7mm Rem. Ultra Mag

http://www.remington.com/products/ammuni...c2=23&c3=24

Go there and compare the ballistics, since your LA id seriously consider the standard ultra mag instead of the SA one, the 7mmLAUM has some serious velocity and energy compared to the 7mmRemMag and 7mmSAUM. The SAUM is close but like I said since your LA why not go with a LA cartridge.

My understanding is you will receive better ES and SD with a short column cartridge.

That would put me in the 284 win camp with .473 bolt face or
7mm SAUM with the .534 bolt face.

btw, what speeds are you 284 win owners getting with 168's and 180's?

I don't believe that the short powder column is the cure all for low ES and SD. I have single digit ES in my 338 Edge.....and its long and fat
grin.gif
The right powder/bullet combo and good loading practices will go along ways here.

The WSM and RM take almost the same amount of powder to do the same job. Either one will work, the WSM just runs at a higher pressure to do it. Barrel life between the two should be pretty close as they are ballistic twins with similar case capacity. If anything, the higher pressure of the WSM in theory, should decrease the throat life. Trying to find components should be a more valid question.....7mm WSM brass seems to be scarce right now, and 7mm RM brass is plentiful. I have both, and really can't see any difference between the two...other than the slightly longer bolt through on the long action Rem Mag.

What part of W. Washington are you located in?

Hope you get the web site going...
smile.gif

I about 20 minutes west of Olympia......My brother is supposed to be working on the website...we just have to get caught up with builds first.

apache kid....7mmAM is my rifle builder of choice, I might have a rifle on the way back from him that will be in the truck tonight when I see you, but I think it'll be in parts.

We can chat about what a great guy Travis is when I see you.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trying to find components should be a more valid question.....7mm WSM brass seems to be scarce right now, and 7mm RM brass is plentiful. </div></div>

Yes, and also the quality of the brass in a given caliber. I'm really not that impressed with the WSM brass options. There is a big difference between the various manufactures in the quality of brass. The last Fed and Win brass I used had varying neck thicknesses, and the Fed brass was so thick in the neck, seating a bullet was very tight.
I'd lean to the 7RM for the availabilty of cases, cost of the cases, and the quality. Like already stated, they are very close ballistically.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">apache kid....7mmAM is my rifle builder of choice,</div></div>

Thanks for the heads up. I need a builder.

Hopefully he stays unknown for awhile, till he at least builds a
rifle for me.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
btw, what speeds are you 284 win owners getting with 168's and 180's? </div></div>

i'm running 175 smk's at 2850.