• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing California Coastal Plains Camo Advice

pcweidman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
www.facebook.com
Dear west coast brothers. I am heading out in mid February for this southern hog killer to try his hand at some west coast leaners! I am very pumped! I will be outside Hollister with guide Mathew McGrough. I am a long range hunter and will have mathew put me in a spot to try to get my first kille at 1000 yards. I figure the plains will offer that shot. Even though at that long of distance camo pattern is not 100% necessary I still may not get offered. Shot and find myself the in need of a stalk.

Can you all give me the best camo for out there? I like technical gear like UA, Archterex, First Lite, Sitka, and Kryptex. Thanks in advance!

Re: California Coastal Plains Camo Advice

Anything that is Sage Brush looking will be fine in that area.
here are a couple I'd go with:
Seclusion 3D Open Country
Mossy Oak Brush
TRUESAGE®

Anything similar.

That area is fairly hilly, not a lot of flat long distance shots. Expect to be shooting from elevation across valleys for the longshots. That has been my experience while hunting there. I can't speak to the exact piece of land that guide is taking you to, but generally speaking...

Dress in layers. Can be cold in the morning fog, and warm mid-day, getting cold again at night. Inter-day temp swings 20-30 degrees are normal that time of year.

awesome advice I really appreciate it. I was guessing the layering thing because of the temp swing I saw on the almanac. I appreciate it!

I have lots of dark earth stuff. Isnt the grass a very rye green color?

I actually like Prairie Ghost and Natural Gear for hunting here in CA. Back in college when I was hunting the Central Coast, I used my U.S. Army Woodland and never felt like it was out of place, especially in the winter.

February is the Rainy Season in that area, so have good rain gear in your kit too.
I'll be taking the wife into Southern Monterey County for a hunt over Thanksgiving. I am not sure what she will wear, but the last couple of hunts that I've been on have been blue jeans and a neutral shirt with GOOD boots, there are some rugged sections around here.

I really like the way multicam works out here. IMO That time of year is fun to hunt hogs. The green makes California deceptively beautiful, because once summer hits its back to brown. Good luck!