• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing California Coastal Plains Hunting: Your Experience

pcweidman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
www.facebook.com
SH,

Myself and a few buddies are flying out in Mid Feb to hunt hogs, bobcats, coyotes, and such with buide Matthew McGrew. Does anyone have any stories, advice, direction, and such on all or any of these animals in this habitat? I have never hunted California but am an avid hog hunter. From seeing the Pigman episode about hunting hogs out here I called Matthew to get booked up at the opportunity to hunt long range. There seems to be lots of open rolling hills and I am want to stretch my .300 AICS out for that hunt.

Any experiences hunting that part of the country would be greatly appreciated. We are flying into San Jose and traveling about 50 mins or so out into the grounds.

Thanks!

C

Re: California Coastal Plains Hunting: Your Experience

The costal areas are beautiful. They are rolling hills and oak trees with oak thickets in the bottoms of canyons. There is a lot of agriculture grown in this area and a lot of grape vinyards as well. Hogs are extremely plentiful and so are coyotes and deer. The problem is finding land that is open to the public for hunting or getting permission to hunt on private land. If you have a guide that has access to, or you have access to land than you shouldn't have an issue. Most of the private land seems to be leased up and you cannot get permission to hunt, at least that has been my experience in Monterey and San Luis Obispo counties. Others may have different experiences.

In February the hills should be lush and green with new growth and the oaks may be starting new sprouting as well, depending on how mild or severe the winter has been, and that is when it is the most beautiful. It also makes it harder to hunt this time of year because the animals do not have to travel far for food. They can lay in an oak thicket all day long.

I only have expereince hunting in July and August when all the grass has died off, the acorns haven't fallen yet, and the only plentful food source is the farmers crops. They seem to like barley and the grapes and there is a lot of each grown in this area. The best times to hunt are first light and about 2 hours before sunset. During the day you can hunt the canyons and thickets and try to kick them out of their beds. During the prime hours we just drive around and glass ag fields and oak thickets and walk ridgelines and glass bottoms and hillsides. Depending on how you hunt and situate yourself, you can take a shot from 50 yards to beyond 1000 if you want.

For coyotes you just hunt them like you do everywhere else, set up and call. I'm sure there are bobcats around but I have never seen one. Also, you will be in Condor range and you have to hunt with monolithic bullets such as the Barnes TSX varients, Hornady GMX, Nosler E-Tip, etc... You will also need to buy an out of state hunting license ($155.52) and a hog tag/s ($71.54 each)...Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me.

Hope that helps.

Got this 300 lb. boar in Monterey County.

jason_hunting_edited.jpg

This is awesome info thanks! I really appreciate it! I am getting pumped for this trip. It cant get here fast enough.

C

I think T-MOney covered it. If your going to carry a long range weapon, make sure someone in the party has a short range weapon. I went on a recent hunt looking to take a pig at 600 yards plus, and encountered a large boar at 75 yards. Its very difficult to get on a running pig at 75 yards with a 8.5-25X scope. Luckily my buddy slowed him down with an AR and I put the finishing touch on him. Aim for the head or the engine room. The Russian Boar strain, like the one obove can be tough to put down. You'll have a blast.