• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Camo patterns paint vs ghillie'n up the gun, help

gatorglockman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Alabama, US
Posting in this forum as painting is a form of gunsmithing to me as it is altering a firearm.

I am researching as many forums as I can for threads on this topic Krylon vs duracoat? Sponge patterns vs strait colors vs rubbing colors vs stencils. Colors? BAH!! Damn I am lost.

Likewise, I have seen some cool tutorials on creating a ghillie cover for the scope and rifle to tie off.

I have a tactical blacktical Savage 10FP. Buying by black tactical stock this week (Choate). I live in the SE and want to go either OD green or Coyote brown based for colors. It's not a high end precision rifle, but practical...like my Glocks. I just know black in the field does not cut it so I need help to mod it right.

Ghillie option looks to be laborious but an easy mod to put on/take off. Paint is cool but permanent. Anyone care to offer advice on mod recommendations and paint schemes? Help.

Re: Camo patterns paint vs ghillie'n up the gun, help

This is probably not what you want to hear but I and others went through sniper school with krylon painted weapons. My head gear had enough burlap overlap to cover a portion of the scope when behind the gun and most used a ghille net over the gun when they got into their FFP. I've seen some pretty hollywood burlap covered guns online but I've never seen anyone drag one through the field done up like that.

If you're going to paint it, use a light color as a base as you can always go darker but its harder to go lighter if its already dark. Tan/coyote is your best bet.

Exactly what I was asking for in info, thanks my friend.

Anyone else have an opinion?

I like rustoleum for it's nice flat matte. Plus you can repaint it easy when it's time.
Duracoat can be finicky getting the desired finish and it takes forever to cure.
Sponge camo is quick and easy to do. Theres a sweet tutorial on ar15.com(I'd suggest sticking with 3 colors and blending the lines more than his though for a cleaner look)

+1 light coat 1st

As for product, I mainly use duracoat. I have been happy so far after doing several rifles. It is not cerakote, but it is a real upgrade from Krylon.

IMO, camo <span style="font-style: italic">patterns</span> on a gun is very pretty but superflous. The idea with camo is to break up a familiar outline. This can be accomplished by merely painting different parts different colors. I will paint the stock one color, the receiver another, and the handguard or barrel another. If I'm feeling crazy, the scope will get another color. OR, I may stick with two colors, but alternate parts/colors.

There are many many pics here on the hide to get ideas.

Thx boys! Much appreciated.

Color choices?

I am gonna pick 2-3 colors and paint up some 2x4 wood and use them as a test run in my yard and the woods near where I live to test color, patterns and to eliminate some initial user errors if poss.

ScurvyPete

Thanks for that link man, that was some pretty cool sponge jobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gatorglockman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Posting in this forum as painting is a form of gunsmithing to me as it is altering a firearm.

I am researching as many forums as I can for threads on this topic Krylon vs duracoat? Sponge patterns vs strait colors vs rubbing colors vs stencils. Colors? BAH!! Damn I am lost.

Likewise, I have seen some cool tutorials on creating a ghillie cover for the scope and rifle to tie off.

I have a tactical blacktical Savage 10FP. Buying by black tactical stock this week (Choate). I live in the SE and want to go either OD green or Coyote brown based for colors. It's not a high end precision rifle, but practical...like my Glocks. I just know black in the field does not cut it so I need help to mod it right.

Ghillie option looks to be laborious but an easy mod to put on/take off. Paint is cool but permanent. Anyone care to offer advice on mod recommendations and paint schemes? Help. </div></div>

I was first taught about the Ghillie in the mid 70's. Had one of Jim Land's Snipers start about 80-100 yards away in the CA High desert. We gave him a good start and sat around for hours trying to find him creeping towards us. He was carrying a plain old Mauser. We had glasses, we had anything we wanted. Can't remember exactly how long it took (hours), but he popped up 15 yards away in his Ghillie.

*IF* you take any of the newish whopteedoo painted rifles into any area, they stand out almost as bad as non-painted rifles. trick with cammo is to blend in. Considering the season changes in most of the country, your cammo won't keep up with the changing seasons, even in the west since the plant life does change out there (I'm from CA and escaped).

Ghillies used properly are far superior to a painted rifle and doesn't look at silly whens someone wants to look at the rifle. BUT, understand one thing, Movement attracts attention, that's part and parcel of using a Ghillie.

The only rifle I have that I feel needs to be camo is my coyote rifle. Those things can pick you out anywhere. I used wheat straw and left over Duracoat to do this one. It absolutely disappears in the field. It would be just as easy to use Krylon. I sprayed bloches of brown and green and then went over it with light tan using the straw as a blocker.

DSC01231_zps9b885aaf.jpg

DSC01232_zpsfd81c772.jpg

paint isnt forever....it can be removed.... you will never beat a good ghilie... but lets be serious, how many animals know what rifle looks like?

ive done everything from krylon- ghilie....

ill say this, on my personal 308 its at the smith right now... however before it comes back to me OD green on the barreled action and some Atac woodland dip for the XLR....

now that being said if you dont want to invest alot...i ran krylon for years...if you dont like it... lil thinner or acetone...all gone

fyi on bragg there is always krylon at the PX for a reason...IMO

Thanks again gentlemen. Lots of great points/counterpoints and evidence both methods work.

I think I will go with krylon vs duracoat but I am gonna just have some fun and build out a ghilie for the rifle for shits and giggles.

I am building my ghilie suit this spring for my BOB and some hunting fun next fall. Both projects will keep my idle hands outta trouble
wink.gif