• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Camo tape your rifle: British style.

Re: Camo tape your rifle: British style.

Ahhhh.... Yeah, you can pull that tape pretty tight. It would cause a shift if you pulled it tight enough.

With the McNett tape, does it have to be applied in an overlapping, "mummy" like configuration or will it stick well enough just to tape on some non-overlapping stripes on a rifle to break up the linear configuration??

Something like my 180

MyAR1802.jpg

its just masking tape.
masking-tape.jpg

aint to need to spend $20 for specialty "sniper tape" crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: morland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And it's black pudding not blood pudding, don't knock it till you try it. </div></div>

No, its "blood pudding". And I personally thought it was gross....but I'll try almost anything once. Goat stomach is'nt as bad as it sounds.....

Be careful about using tape that is of cloth consistancy. This will keep moisture next to your steel rifle and can degrade the finish and or cause your rifle to rust and you will not see it happen until you remove the tape. I highly recommend painting instead of using tape due to this reason... If you can keep it perfectly dry it will probably be good but if you hunt with your rifle it will get exposed to moisture or dampness somewhere....Just letting you know my experiences.. I do love the way some of the taped up rifles I have seen in the past look though.....SmokeRolls

Yes it is made from bread crumbs, blood, internal parts and spices. I miss it SOOOOOOOOO much with a little HP sauce on it.

And for the record we never called it BLOOD pudding it was always called Black pudding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steel-W0LF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: morland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And it's black pudding not blood pudding, don't knock it till you try it. </div></div>

No, its "blood pudding". And I personally thought it was gross....but I'll try almost anything once. Goat stomach is'nt as bad as it sounds..... </div></div>

i love BLACK pudding. with Brown sauce and actual bacon on a sunday morning.

never heard it called blood pudding before.

Nea but a Colonial would call it anything but Black Pudding.
The best ever is a plateful of Black and White, a nice Rasher, Eggs, Soda Bread, and a Tomato...all washed down with a Guinness or a Half and Half. Only an inbred would mix good Guinness with Bass Ale
grin.gif

Me, I gave up painting rifles after I had to clean a replacement M4 for my M16. Ya ever try to remove four or five layers of Krylon from a War Slut rifle? The frikkers even taped it up too, yeah, 100 mile an hour tape. That sticky stuff was pissing me off trying to get it out from the nooks and crannys.

All the Queen's best I met in Afghanistan were damn good gents but for some reason got a little out of sorts when I played 'The Foggy Dew' on my tin whistle. There is just something inately fun about getting under the skin of those guys. Must be a Colonial or Republican thing
grin.gif

I had my rifle taped up nicely with the McNett MARPAT desert. Then it poured down rain and the tape became white... once it dried it went back to normal but for a few hours i had a white gun and you do need to remove it to keep the rust at bay. Paint the gun to prevent rust then tape and paint away.

I concure. The camo form tape works great for awhile unitl it gets wet or sits in the sun for to long and it really doesnt have to sit in the sun all that long and it will get very sticky. I would just paint it or leave it like it is. Imho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
english-breakfast-blackpudding-min.jpg

That will cure all hangovers ! </div></div>

Are you sure???

Holy shit, that is the exactly what I ate every morning when I was working with the Brits. Exactly!

It wasn't that bad, except for that black round sausage patty looking thing. I don't know what it was, but it tasted awful. Everything else was great.

Our Gurka cook was cool too. We used to mess with him about not having a big ass Gurka knife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jp67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it also protect weapons from scratches.</div></div>

There's a barrel break-in video I think you should watch.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jp67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it also protect weapons from scratches.</div></div>

There's a barrel break-in video I think you should watch.
wink.gif
</div></div>
Yehh that break in video is classic.... SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy shit, that is the exactly what I ate every morning when I was working with the Brits. Exactly!

It wasn't that bad, except for that black round sausage patty looking thing. I don't know what it was, but it tasted awful. Everything else was great.

Our Gurka cook was cool too. We used to mess with him about not having a big ass Gurka knife.</div></div>

Thats black pudding... its essentially a scab in a sausage skin. (made from blood and offal etc)

What is that tape called here in the States? Gaffer tape? 100 mph tape? Or do we not have an equivalent?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
english-breakfast-blackpudding-min.jpg

That will cure all hangovers ! </div></div>

Dave, thats a plate of heaven right there.....God I miss the Cafe in the morning, nice cup of char and thick crusty toast !! Black puddings gotta be crispy on the edges though.

Im back in Blighty next week, the cafe will be my first stop off !

Some of my rifles are taped. I applied blue masking tape, then followed up with realtree pattern duck tape. I don't bother to match up the pattern, I just lay it on in overlap pattern, primarily configured for good coverage.

Several years later I have tried peeling a corner, just to see; and it both came free easily, and stuck back down fine.

Right now I have it on an 870, a Mossberg bolt slug gun, and my Win '94AE.

Since then, Remington now offers Realtree Hardwoods patterned vinyl camo tape with a peelable adhesive.

Greg

Another name for Gaffer Tape is Rigger's Tape. I use some for 'gottahold' applicatons.

Greg

Compared to alot of other countries, what hits your plate for an English breakfast is everybit of all right! I took a pass on the black bangers and it was a bit of a surprize to see beans, but all in all a great start to the day.

Took me a bit to ask what gammon was but it was excellent. Never saw a big steak but did appreciate the fact a pint is a pint and this bullcrap about releasing flavors by putting a foamy head on the pour isnt an English thing!

I have had walmart tape on my LTR for several years now. It has been drug through the mud, weeds and dirt probably more than all the taped rifles shown. I spray painted the cloth tape and daubed on some waterbased paint to blend the effect.

Its a shooter and the tape has worked very well. The heavy barrels most of our rifles have are not affected by a layer of tape, just make sure the barrel channel is cut free.

I think the poster's name was bagpuss- If it was me and I had spent all that time masking up my rifle I think I'd turn the scope cap to the side so there isnt a huge black circle over the rifle. Sort of gives it away. A bit of tape INSIDE the scope cap will help as well, nothing says 'here I am' like a big black circle.

I like that tape idea with the paint over it

I can't comment on the tape although it seems it might trap moisture. As for the black pudding I can say that's some good eating. A few years ago I spent a month driving along the Irish coast. Just about every morning I would have the "Irish Breakfast" which always included the black pudding (and a white one consequently). I'm used to the idea of eating coagulated pig's blood as I grew up eating the Spanish version, morcilla. The two are similar but the Spanish version isn't really breakfast food. Everything but the squeal!

I only tape the furniture, the working bits stay their original finish.

Yes, it's not the full Monte; but it helps.

I guess...

the tape traps moisture, put down a layer of wd40 first. Yeah i know, the tape shouldn't stick, but if you wrap it the right way the tape will stick to itself (example: layer it over each other like shingles on a roof), and stays in place long enough in the short term.

it not recommended to tape it and leave it on, even with the wd40 film on it, there still will be moisture getting in somewhere. the wd40 also helps with not leaving residue (glue / adhesive) on the metal.

before i got the balls to krylon stuff, i taped the rifle with duct tape, then painted over it to see what pattern i liked the best.

in the winter when there is snow, i wrap with white tape used for wrapping ankles, wrists, etc. for football players. i think they call it sports tape, i got 3 rolls (30 yards) for something like $4.00 at walmart. surgical tape works well also.

if going the tape route, the idea is not to let it on permanantly. it'll discolor the blueing with the introduction of a little moisture, and if your stuff is parkerized, it happens quicker.

using tape is nice when you go from different environments to try to match up with that environment (color wise), and does offer break up to the rifle's silhouette even if just a few strips are added. it does offer some buffer to avoid scratches and such, but is by no means a cure all. it also offers the oppurtunity to quickly add foliage / gillie strips if so desired, and when fully taped a flat / dull no shine finish.

My LTR has worn cloth tape for several years now. No ill affect to the barrel or stock. It has been drug many a yard and been wet numberous times.

Dragging it around has frayed the tape right at the muzzle repeatedly so an extra wrap of tape from time to time is required there.

I stripped the barrel clean last year as the tape was really messed up. No damage to the barrel was visible.

If you are afraid of what moisture can do you can make a sleeve of your favorite camoflague, slide it on the barrel and tape/ rubber band it down. I painted some fabric elastic tape as the sun breaks down rubber bands rather quickly.

I did that for awhile, I think it will work well for still hunting animals but being drug through the weeds it kept bunching up.

But if you dont do alot of crawling it could work for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: morland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And it's black pudding not blood pudding, don't knock it till you try it. </div></div>

Everybody knows Brits eat crappy food..........

You must not have been to the UK recently: I was there again in mid November and was very surprised by the quality.

As a matter of linguistics, the term 'blood pudding' is understood in Britain, but not generally used unless in the context of depicting foreign usage, or when describing similar blood-based sausages elsewhere in the world.

The traditional breakfast in the UK & Ireland (fond of the white pudding) is one of the 3 best breakfasts in the world, especially when accompanied by whisky and ale. The best, of course, is lustily chowing down at the tangy salty Y.

Yeah, I have been.......Brit food sucks!!! Thanks anyways........

the tape used is called n.b.c tape, its cloth like. you clean down the rifle , apply a thin film of oil and then put the tape over it. it will stick regardless of the oil. we are not allowed paint our rifles directly so some guys do this to their AI's. same as the brits. it lasts for ages regardless of abuse.the rifle will also not rust underneath the tape. il try find a pic of one of ours taped up and sprayed.

I don't care were you are from that looks like good down home eats to me. MM