• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing cast lead bullets in a semi-auto

chpprguy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2004
Los Alamos NM
This question may seem stupid, but I am unsure and searched with no luck.
frown.gif

I have a lot of 230 RNFP cast bullits I usually shoot in a 45LC SAA replica.

Can I load these in 45ACP and shoot them in a Semi-auto?
Namely an XD 45 tactical....
Mostly for plinking and staying proficient with the firearm.

Thanks,
Andy

Re: cast lead bullets in a semi-auto

I have a friend who was shooting cast bullets thru a 1911. I would think the xd would do just fine.

Ryan

I have cast alot of 230 RN for my Gov't .45. You'll have no problem. I even load them for my dad's Ruger Blackhawk in .45Colt.

I shot mostly Glocks and all mine are in .40 so cast bullets are a NO-NO but the Springfield XD you're GTG.

In fact, here's what I did over the Easter weekend. Turned out 550lbs of pure lead.

IMG_3363_1000px.jpg

Brandon

Thanks,
I believe, but I will check,
that the modern SAA replica's use the larger 452" diameter
projectiles...
I figured I would check the barrel for "leading" pretty often...

If the cast bullets are .451/.452 for the 45 Colt load & shoot to your hearts content.
To ease cleaning in your XD after shooting un-gas checked cast bullets fire several jacketed bullets.

Do not shoot the cast bullets in a Desert Eagle,as the lube/lead will eventually clog the GAS system & they are a PITA to clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blboyd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have cast alot of 230 RN for my Gov't .45. You'll have no problem. I even load them for my dad's Ruger Blackhawk in .45Colt.

I shot mostly Glocks and all mine are in .40 so cast bullets are a NO-NO but the Springfield XD you're GTG.

In fact, here's what I did over the Easter weekend. Turned out 550lbs of pure lead.

IMG_3363_1000px.jpg

Brandon
</div></div>

A guy at the range told me the same thing about cast bullets being a NO-NO in Glocks but never offered up an explaination. Why is that? Where'd you get all that lead from?

Glocks use polygonal rifling which is alot different than conventional lands and grooves cut into the barrel.

Here's a nice article to sum it all up.

Polygonal Rifling on Wikipedia

The company my dad use to work for before retiring used forklifts quite extensively. The forklifts they used had scales built in so when you picked up a pallet it would weight it for you. Well they had a calibrated weight which was a 1684lb block of lead. This one fell out of date and they replaced it so my dad was able to buy it from the company for $.01 - quite a steal if you ask me. We've had it sitting for 6 years now because I never could find a way to break it down. Tried axes, woodsplitters, oxy-acetylene, you name it... then my cousin suggested a chainsaw. So over Easter break I took a 16" Poulan chainsaw to a ~1684lb chunk of lead... like a hot knife through butter.... hehe.

Here's the original block... measures 2ft x 2ft x 1ft

lead_weight_02.jpg

Brandon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blboyd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have cast alot of 230 RN for my Gov't .45. You'll have no problem. I even load them for my dad's Ruger Blackhawk in .45Colt.

IMG_3363_1000px.jpg

Brandon
</div></div>

A guy at the range told me the same thing about cast bullets being a NO-NO in Glocks but never offered up an explaination. Why is that? Where'd you get all that lead from? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This question may seem stupid, but I am unsure and searched with no luck.
frown.gif

I have a lot of 230 RNFP cast bullits I usually shoot in a 45LC SAA replica.
Can I load these in 45ACP and shoot them in a Semi-auto?
Namely an XD 45 tactical....
Mostly for plinking and staying proficient with the firearm.
Thanks,
Andy </div></div>

Andy,
check here and have fun:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
As to your boolits, is the RNFP a flat point? Might have some loading problems. I run a H&G 68 (.452-200gr-SWC) for my 45ACP's..
Happy shooting.

My pistols and most rifles all get cast lead.

You can shoot lead in a glock if you make it very hard, add some antimony. It works fine for me from a G20 and a G29. I see no more lead fouling in the OEM Glock barrels as when I use the 40SW conversion for my G20. It's a SS Lone Wolf conversion.

The ratio that I use is 19# of wheel weight lead and 1# of MAGNUM shotgun shot. It's hard enough to shoot full velocity 30-06 loads with a gas check and drive it with Unique.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blboyd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glocks use polygonal rifling which is alot different than conventional lands and grooves cut into the barrel.

Here's a nice article to sum it all up.

Polygonal Rifling on Wikipedia

The company my dad use to work for before retiring used forklifts quite extensively. The forklifts they used had scales built in so when you picked up a pallet it would weight it for you. Well they had a calibrated weight which was a 1684lb block of lead. This one fell out of date and they replaced it so my dad was able to buy it from the company for $.01 - quite a steal if you ask me. We've had it sitting for 6 years now because I never could find a way to break it down. Tried axes, woodsplitters, oxy-acetylene, you name it... then my cousin suggested a chainsaw. So over Easter break I took a 16" Poulan chainsaw to a ~1684lb chunk of lead... like a hot knife through butter.... hehe.

Here's the original block... measures 2ft x 2ft x 1ft

lead_weight_02.jpg

Brandon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blboyd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have cast alot of 230 RN for my Gov't .45. You'll have no problem. I even load them for my dad's Ruger Blackhawk in .45Colt.

IMG_3363_1000px.jpg

Brandon
</div></div>

A guy at the range told me the same thing about cast bullets being a NO-NO in Glocks but never offered up an explaination. Why is that? Where'd you get all that lead from? </div></div></div></div>

Cutting up that block of lead with a chainsaw would have been a youtube classic, i would like to see the chain and bar off that saw when you were done..rofl.

My father in law shoots pretty much cast bullets only. he shoots them out of everything, from his SAA, to his old garand, and like bohem said, he adds a fair bit on antimony or tin to get them to the propper hardness. There is very little issue with the gas system in his Garand. You can make a cast bullet pretty hard while still maintaing wieght. I am just getting into this, I am tired of buying bullets for my 1911.

Thanks guys,
I am not casting yet, just have a few K of these laying around...
would like to put them to good use...
Andy

Shot a lot of PPC and action matches, all with lead cast bullets. all out of a 45acp and a 38 special. The rule I was told was to keep speeds under 1000 FPS. Hope this helps. Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ftchmup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot a lot of PPC and action matches, all with lead cast bullets. all out of a 45acp and a 38 special. The rule I was told was to keep speeds under 1000 FPS. Hope this helps. Mike
</div></div>

Thank you for that, as I plan to start loading 38 as well...
my 45 LC loads were right around 750-800fps and they shot well.
I think I will aim for that..
Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blboyd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have cast alot of 230 RN for my Gov't .45. You'll have no problem. I even load them for my dad's Ruger Blackhawk in .45Colt.

IMG_3363_1000px.jpg

Brandon

</div></div>

Very good!

I think this is a non-issue.

When you consider how many .22LR rounds get fired from semi's, that part of the question gets a resounding answer.

I would have some concern about using slender bulet shapes in longer cartridges. Feeding and chambering is not a gentle process, and such shapes may lend themselves less appropriately to that process. Otherwise, I'm not overly concerned about the concept.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this is a non-issue.

When you consider how many .22LR rounds get fired from semi's, that part of the question gets a resounding answer.

I would have some concern about using slender bulet shapes in longer cartridges. Feeding and chambering is not a gentle process, and such shapes may lend themselves less appropriately to that process. Otherwise, I'm not overly concerned about the concept.

Greg </div></div>

I have no issues shooting 220 grain cast lead from a 7.5x55 Swiss seated to mag length in a k31. Ripping as fast as possible on the straight pull I think it is a reasonable approximation to a gas gun loading, I've had no issues.

My first area of suspect would be to look at leading on the feed ramp edges.