• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

CCI BR4 small rifle match primers

Dezelrig

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Arvada, Colorado
Anyone using these for any of their match rifle rounds to include .223 size cases or small primer pocketed .308, 6.5 Creedmoor, etc?

Is the consistency good and SD low with these primers?

These and Fed SRM primers have worked well for me in .223. In varmint loads, just dropping with a powder measure, I had ES's in 15's. Good enough for prairie rats...

I use them in 1,000 yard .223 loads. They work.

Thumbs up , easy sub 10 ES in everything I use em in . I use standard CCI small rifle primers in other
rifles when I’m not shooting long , and or shooting big targets .

They have been my goto primer for 223.

Lately, I've been doing my load development with CCI-400's as an economy measure.

When everything is good, I switch to BR-4's and do some shoot-offs vs the 400's. Maybe I'm not such a great shooter anymore, but I often have trouble seeing significant differences. Since my competitive shooting days may well be over, I may just stick with the CCI 400's and 200's.

I've already been using WLR's for my Garand bulk loads for years now.

Some years back, I put the Chrony up on the shelf, and left it there. I now judge a load's effectiveness by how it looks on paper. I had been getting hung up on numbers, chasing them without regard to the target; often, good numbers did not translate to good targets. Afterward, I only used the Chrony to establish real-life MV's for trajectory computations. But I soon found that while published load data velocities were not exact, they are still good enough to get me on paper; so I let the Chrony rest in peace.

Greg

Last edited:
The br-4 is a good primer, no doubt. But.....

I did a test on these vs cci 450. They are the exact same primer. Same “magnum” cup thickness, exact same mixture. I shot them side by side in identical 6.5 creedmoor loads. Save yourself $15 per thousand primers and buy the 450.

Edit: here’s the link to my test. Pics are broken for some reason. I’ll see if I can find the test target.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...450-and-the-lapua-6-5-creedmoor-case.6402744/

Attachments

• 61D21841-01B7-4389-A0E8-9195D396FB4D.jpeg
    61D21841-01B7-4389-A0E8-9195D396FB4D.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I don't doubt your test, Supersubes, but the ES difference in my loads is MARKED.

450's end up at about 50 fps, where the BR primer is under 25. Not good, but it is an AR.

As I understand it (and has been discussed here previously), is that the only difference is who is running the machines (and I suspect) how fast they are being run. This holds true for many things, such as rimfire ammunition. The rimfire match stuff is run at slower production speeds and with new(er) tooling. As the tooling ages, the machines are run faster and often times by people with less experience. The cost difference is based on machine time/labor involved. Machines that run slower, produce less in a given time, and so, cost more per unit. But, you get a much more consistent product.

As I understand it (and has been discussed here previously), is that the only difference is who is running the machines (and I suspect) how fast they are being run. This holds true for many things, such as rimfire ammunition. The rimfire match stuff is run at slower production speeds and with new(er) tooling. As the tooling ages, the machines are run faster and often times by people with less experience. The cost difference is based on machine time/labor involved. Machines that run slower, produce less in a given time, and so, cost more per unit. But, you get a much more consistent product.

I was told similar by Cci rep a ways back. Although he said it was simply a “match grade” crew assembling the Br primers.

Last edited:
I don't doubt your test, Supersubes, but the ES difference in my loads is MARKED.

450's end up at about 50 fps, where the BR primer is under 25. Not good, but it is an AR.

I wonder if you have a wacky lot? Ever changed lots? We’re the SD’s double as well? I don’t doubt your results either, and I’ve noticed a few negative cci primer posts lately. It’s gonna take me a lifetime to burn through what I’ve got.

I use BR4's in my lapua 6.5 creedmoor and 6BRA rounds.

ES is 14 or less in all my loads - the BR4's work really well from what I've seen. However, I've never tested them side by side with other primers.

I've heard that the 450's are the same thing - the BR4's just have a bit tighter controls on QA/QC. A lot of people don't see any difference down range between the two though - lots of bench rest shooters shooting CCI 450's.