• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Cerakote C or H?

glbreil

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2013
McLeansboro, IL
I am sure it has been discussed here many times but I can't seem to find it. I am wondering which type Cerakote is being used for the multicolor camo patterns that require stencils to make.

I read that the H series does not dry until baked and that it can't be recoated after baking so I am wondering how stencils are applied.

Any information is appreciated?

Thanks Gary

Flash curing it. Spray bake 15 minutes, stencil and repeat as needed. H is more durable and C has a higher temp eating.

In my opinion H-Series (oven cure) is far superior that Gen I C-Series including high heat applications. Gen II C-Series is much better on suppressors and barrels. That said, I use H-Series on literally everything - polymer, optics, suppressors, etc.

Multi-color camo patterns using stencils or high heat tape cutouts aren't an issue. You can certainly apply additional colors after the first color cures. The secret to a great coat is in the prep. You must thoroughly sandblast the parts you're going to coat (I use 80 grit aluminum oxide) and sufficiently degrease them. I use acetone for that. After you've prepped, apply first coat, use powder free latex gloves to remove from oven, let them cool down for a few hours, re-tape or use stencil to apply second coat, and repeat that as many times as you want. If you follow that you'll have a great looking coat....

Thanks for the info and great looking rifle!

Do you also flash cure for 15 minutes between coats or do you fully cure between coats?

Only flash cure, that way the cerakote will still adhere to itself because the crystal structure isn't fully closed after baking for 15mins.

The flash dry advice is spot on. Very nice work on that AR Jason. I wish you lived closer. We are looking to hire someone with proven skill.

Easy on the 80 grit. The surface profile is too deep and the coating will scratch through the peaks of the metal when scuffed. This will cause premature rusting on firearms used in wet and salty environments. A well maintained gun would probably never notice it though. 100-120 grit will give the correct surface profile for the most durable results. I wish we could use 80 grit. It's a lot cheaper and easier to get. I have to drive 220 miles farther to get the 100-120 mesh AO.

The Gen II coating is infra red signature control coating. I thought it only was available in H series. Unless you are actually sneaking around worrying about your gun being detected by someone with night vision gear the Gen II coating are an unnecessary expense. NIC Industries says they restrict the sale of Gen II coatings to military and law enforcement agencies but I have never had a call for it so I don't know for sure. I would think they would sell it domestically unless your military letter head says, "Gee Haddie Babba's Guns" or something like that. :D All the C-Series are high heat resistant. I just don't like the fumes and long cure times though it is good for what it's for. High heat applications like full auto barrels and being cold cure it's good for optics.