• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cerakote question

KSC86

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2020
California
For prepping polymer (specifically KRG Bravo) are there any recommendations for preparation?

Is the AO blasting going to be too much or not of concern for the polymer? Would scotchbrite or 400 grit AO paper be a safe option?

Acetone? 10 minute soak and wipe? Longer? BrakeKleen?

Gas out at 150-180? Or is warping a concern and gas out not necessary?

This will be a three color camo job I am doing for myself. First time doing polymer, first time was on composite.

Do NOT blast it... there's no need, and too much risk.

I hit mine with steel wool or grey scotch-brite, then thoroughly clean it with acetone (test it somewhere not visible first, not all plastics are acetone compatible). I don't soak, just wipe, and it's held up well so far.

Honestly, there's no advantage of using Cerakote on plastic, the substrate is softer than the coating, so it'll scratch off just like paint. That said, it also won't exactly match the color on metal parts. So, if you have rattle can paint around, test some spots and compare it to the cerakote on metal. Might find its a better match than the cerakote.

Reactions: KSC86
Scotchbrite should be good.
Hard "NO" on the acetone for plastic. You'll wind up with a blob of plastic. I use a degreaser similar to Simple Green or 409.
150 won't create any permanent warping. I've done a lot of plastics at 150 without issue.

Acetone is fine for a lot of plastics... notice it comes in a plastic bottle... just gotta be careful and do a test spot first. I've wiped many a Pmag with acetone with no ill effect.

Just do yourself a favor and drop by an automotive paint jobber and get some panel prep I.e. degreaser.
It’s way better than anything like acetone, and it won’t eat your plastic or rubber pieces.

I’m going to try and duplicate this.
338DCBF9-5D8C-43BF-9092-BD4763AF41E1.jpeg