• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CG Jackson Trigger vs Jewell HVR

Re: CG Jackson Trigger vs Jewell HVR

The CG is not like most two stages triggers most people think of on a military rifle. It is way cleaner, the closest thing I have felt is a Anschutz type trigger. Once you take up the first stage it really becomes like a single stage. There is a very well defined and consistent stopping point. The break has been very consistent as well. It feels fantastic.

Mike is dead on with the locktite, being able to have the adjustment is great. Do you think twice about having an adjustable stock? Not that you would want to but if you had to you could probably still be able to fire the gun if the trigger did come off. I have not used mine in any field conditions yet but plan on putting it through its paces. I look forward to seeing how it holds up Mike's use.

Please don't take this question the wrong way but what's the tactical advantage or disadvantage of having a 2-stage trigger on a tactical rifle?

I've only shot a rifle a few times with a double stage trigger and hated it. I see no advantages on disadvantages for one a tactical?

Thoughts?

"Unlike the modified direct-pull triggers which are fitted to some "tactical" rifles the CG Universal is a true two-stage trigger, so that the sear engagement reduces and fully recovers with the first-pull movement of the trigger finger."
http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/index.php?page=cgmod21
This is from the manufactures website. Basically it means you can have a lighter pull weight that is safer then then a single stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandsleep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The CG is not like most two stages triggers most people think of on a military rifle. It is way cleaner, the closest thing I have felt is a Anschutz type trigger. Once you take up the first stage it really becomes like a single stage. There is a very well defined and consistent stopping point. The break has been very consistent as well. It feels fantastic.

Mike is dead on with the locktite, being able to have the adjustment is great. Do you think twice about having an adjustable stock? Not that you would want to but if you had to you could probably still be able to fire the gun if the trigger did come off. I have not used mine in any field conditions yet but plan on putting it through its paces. I look forward to seeing how it holds up Mike's use. </div></div>
I'd like to see some one fire it w/ no trigger!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandsleep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The CG is not like most two stages triggers most people think of on a military rifle. It is way cleaner, the closest thing I have felt is a Anschutz type trigger. Once you take up the first stage it really becomes like a single stage. There is a very well defined and consistent stopping point. The break has been very consistent as well. It feels fantastic.

Mike is dead on with the locktite, being able to have the adjustment is great. Do you think twice about having an adjustable stock? Not that you would want to but if you had to you could probably still be able to fire the gun if the trigger did come off. I have not used mine in any field conditions yet but plan on putting it through its paces. I look forward to seeing how it holds up Mike's use. </div></div>
I'd like to see some one fire it w/ no trigger!
grin.gif
</div></div>

The shoe mounts to an external bar which remains visible. It would be possible to still fire if the shoe were removed by pressing up on the bar but, as Sandsleep says, clearly not ideal!

TC

I really want to get the chance to test one of those CG triggers! Anyone want to sell their used one? I've got a good $25 to spare ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewel triggers absolutely SUCK for field use. They are way too finicky and WILL get dirty and fail. If you're going to be a BR guy then fine, but if you are going to fire a real rifle in dirty conditions do not use the Jewel.

My experience the the Jackson is non-existant for about the next 4 days. After that, my rifle will be returned to me with the new Jackson trigger. It will be tested at the SHC and we'll see how it performs.

You couldn't give me a Jewel for field conditions. I've learned my lesson the hard way as have others. </div></div>

My jewell worked ok, but I heard from others that it needs to be clean... or else. I found my Jewell was slightly mushy...yes I can follow directions and adjust a trigger. Also, I greatly prefer two-stage triggers. Just look at the cut-out of the CG trigger design, it looks like a trigger built to last. All levers and ball bearings: no gears or ratchets: http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/cgtrigger.html I spoke with Tom about durability of the trigger and he said the military tested a bunch of triggers and his was the only one to survive their tests. Obviously he is a biased source of info, but I believe what he said nonetheless. </div></div>

Is the one that passed the test the "tactical" version that costs $700+ !?!? </div></div>

$700??? not sure where you got that price from. The "tactical" trigger should be cheaper if anything since it is a simpler design. I would call it a Remington trigger, not tactical. The original trigger requires dremeling to work with BDL or detachable mags. His new Remington trigger eliminates this requirement.

The one tested was the original trigger. But keep in mind that the new Remington trigger has exactly the same internal components. The fixed trigger and safety are the only differences i'm aware of.

The big thing with the new rem trigger is you will not need to do any extra inletting for it to fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I just ordered one of these. Thanks for everyone's input. </div></div>

Have you installed it yet? I would like to see how you like it.

Do these come from the "factory" with the "A" spring? Also interested in what weight people are getting out of the box with these things. I'd like something between 2.5 and 3 lbs.

Thanks

Smokin-did you get the curved trigger or the flat/curved?

I just got and put a CG Jackson on my highpower silhouette rifle (so my 7-08 can be setup just like my smallbore 1712).

I ask about the trigger shoe as I got the curved and found that for me, it had to be so far forward on the bar that I had to open it up a bit to get at the adj screws. No big deal, I really like it, I haven't live fired it yet, but have done alot of dry fire/hold practice and its a great trigger.

The trigger comes with both springs, but if you are wanting 2.5lbs ask them to toss in a loose heavy spring in the package. The heavy spring it comes with as an alternate is under the side cover, so you have to take it apart to get at it. The light #2 lever spring comes installed and it should only go as high as 600gr for total weight (21.5 oz for us US folks).
I put the heavier sring in and mine is set at 2.25lb, with about 50/50 spread ont he weight between first and second stage.

Oh, and when I installed, I tightened the trigger shoe screw to keep the shoe from getting in the way while I inletted the stock. It seemd to take quite a bit of torque to get it to not swing on the bar. Once the inletting was done I went to adjust the position of the shoe and the damned little socket head that tightens the shoe to the bar rounded off with the supplied wrench. I had to take an extractor to it (carefully support the trigger shoe if you ever have to do this). I replaced it with a hardened steel M6-8 socket head and its good to go now. While it was out, I did squish the slotted top of the shoe together in a padded vice until it was a snug press fit on the bar, then only a little tightening on the screw keeps it in place.