• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing changing a barrel

specopsbrooklyn

Master Chief
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2004
Freeport NY
any trick to removing a rem 700 factory barrel it seems to be welded on lol also what is a good release agent to use with steel devcon putty ?

Re: changing a barrel

A cheater bar takes the load off the abdominal muscles. I had hernia surgery from breaking a Remington barrel loose. Young and dumb back then. I thought anything could be overcome with brute force.
Neutral shoe polish or Johnsons paste wax makes a good release agent.

thanks for the info I have a barrel vice and an action wrench i didnt try a cheater bar yet it just felt to tight and I didnt want to scew any thing up was wondering if anyboy uses a little heat on the action

I had the worlds tightest Remington 700 a few weeks back. I actually had doubts about it ever coming apart without doing major harm. I made up a wraparound action wrench with a good length bar attached, came off no problem with that.