• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chasing Gear, the broken record of shooting lighter calibers

Ever shot a 243AI pushing a 55gn projo & stout dose of Powder? Coyotes always drop and my hold is “coyote”.

Of course im not larping the day away, so maybe you weren’t talking to me and I’ll go be dumb over there.

Stop telling them about lightweight Projos.

I like them all fighting to be GayTigers.
Hey what about us light weight gay tigers? I mean I have a gt in an ar15 for my yote gun that I run 58 vmax or 70 nosler in.

This theory is what will hopefully wake up the 6 ARC in a bolt gun, running a 95 vld or a 95 TMK at 3000+. The higher bolt gun pressure guidelines for this cartridge have really peaked my curiosity, so much so I screwed a proof pre fit on my origin to test it. After I shoot all these factory 108s and reload em up we’ll see what she can do.

Reactions: Thorbeast
Shooting lighter non speed demon calibers is enjoyable and less taxing on the barrel bank account. Seems like shooting a 223 in PRS tac class is growing in popularity.

@lowlight If you were shooting the NF ELR Challenge where most targets are 1000yds to a mile with just two past a mile 1800 and 2127 would you still shoot the 250's instead of 300's out of a lapua? I also have a 300 norma my brother will be using, should I load 208 bergers or 230 a-tips?

224 Valkyrie is an awesome little performer even within the constraints of the AR platform. The 75 gr stuff performs out to at least 900 yards straight out of the box, with a better bullet even further. No hassle with primers or powder in the current environment and allows for practice without breaking the bank.
I’ve got a couple hundred of the 135 gr ATips to try out in the old 6.5 CM, 130 RDFs for the 6.5x47.
@lowlight some of us have been listening all along…

Do you need a 10 round magazine on your rifle?
If not, get a Blaser R8.
A Blaser R8 in 308 is app 3" shorter than a 700sa (and almost 4" shorter than a 700la) when both rifles have the same barrel length.

The R8 with 24" barrels in 22lr, 223rem and 338 Lapua mag has the same total rifle length.
Choice of caliber, given same barrel length, do not affect rifle overall length.
Any barrelsmith can now make barrels for the R8.
Blaser barrel extention for custom barrels:
thumbnail.php

Last edited:
Reactions: W54/XM-388
Unfortunately,

Blaser is not very good for what we are doing, I am sure we can spin up quick with them, but nobody really uses them here so we don't have anyone I know of who works on them to fit out needs

With those extensions you might see someone try it, But the configuration of the rifle is not very US friendly at all, stock, mounts, etc, nothing works like we do here.

There is no R8 "action" to speak of ... so it would never get accepted as it currently stands, it's more lever gun style vs bolt action like we are used too

Do you need a 10 round magazine on your rifle?
If not, get a Blaser R8.
A Blaser R8 in 308 is app 3" shorter than a 700sa when both rifles have the same barrel length.

The R8 with 24" barrels in 22lr, 223rem and 338 Lapua mag has the same total rifle length.
Choice of caliber, given same barrel length, do not affect rifle overall length.
Any barrelsmith can now make barrels for the R8.
Blaser barrel extention for custom barrels:
thumbnail.php
an AI AX MC/SR does the same thing regarding rifle OAL with same barrel lengths

and is way more available and usable than an R8

We were not used to the Blaser either 20 years ago.
Now the R8 is sweeping the floor with all other hi end rifles in Europe.

Here's GRS riflestock's 338LM. If the barrel was 223 it would have looked identical.
(The AI AX MC/SR is 4" longer given same barrel length and has double weight)
_VP24183CONV_low.jpg

Why are you focused on length ?

Many will run suppressors, and other things, plus you can really make a Rifle 22" and get pretty much 100% performance, stick a can on it

But nobody will go that way here, we have too many custom options

and nobody is running Long Action stuff really, medium in the 6.5PRC is pretty much max,

In the ELR Courses you'll see LA stuff, the MCs, the SRs, but not in normal competition so the rifles are actually smaller when comparing the AI stuff, it's not the MCs / SRs being used, but the SA models like the ATX

Magazines.... What mags reliably feed, and hold 10 round of SPC sized brass, without modification, on a bolt action system ?

MDT

EDIT: The all important make it hold ten or more rounds. I have not tested this but it should work.

Last edited:
why aren't you running a bullpup then?

also...we dont run 3-4" cans. more like 7-9"
Handling and shootability for off hand shooting. Bullpups suck at this.

We usually run max 4" suppressor extention in Europe.
If you have 7-9" a R8 makes even more sense.

Handling and shootability for off hand shooting. Bullpups suck at this.

We usually run max 4" suppressor extention in Europe.
If you have 7-9" a R8 makes even more sense.
i don't quite know if you understand the type of long range/precision shooting common in the US

Reactions: lash
Then buy the MDT metal 12 rd. 6 BR mag that people say works with the Valkyrie. Guys with AICS will be SOL when a COF requires a reload?
No need to get snippy. Guy asked what mag holds 10 SPC-sized cases, the linked MDT mag doesn’t do so, and now everybody who wants 10 rounds in their mag is a moron?

Sounds like there’s some mags that’ll do the requested job, good to know.

Reactions: iceng
No need to get snippy. Guy asked what mag holds 10 SPC-sized cases, the linked MDT mag doesn’t do so, and now everybody who wants 10 rounds in their mag is a moron?

Sounds like there’s some mags that’ll do the requested job, good to know.

Everybody wants to be spoon fed and whine when I don't give them a link to the ball colored pink. My bad. Maybe do a little research. You're welcome for my time you paid nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: Eric32
I'm guessing the big draw is that you can use a small frame AR platform or a bolt action platform that was only designed to be big enough for the .223 rifles.
True, true…

Let’s just say that when I’ve taken women and youngsters out for their first rifle session, I bring a .223 bolt that’s sweet, my .260 in comp format, an AR in .223 and an AR I put together for mid-long range fun. Every time, they smile from ear to ear shooting the .224v after shooting all the others.

It’s just a pleasure to shoot. Very light recoil and great results down range. Yes, the .223 is also a light shooter, but neither platform gets the nod over .224v. Just my small sample experience.

Then buy the MDT metal 12 rd. 6 BR mag that people say works with the Valkyrie. Guys with AICS will be SOL when a COF requires a reload?
Who only ever buys only 1 mag? Serious question.

I guess that hunters might be the answer. But I make sure I have two mags for even hunting only calibers. Habit I guess. More for competition calibers.

Reactions: Mike_in_FL
No where. But the topic was an R8 being shorter than a similar AI with same barrel length. So if thats the comparison then throw a DT in there and you get a really short platform for equal barrel length

The one other thing nice about the R8 is that you pretty much never have to worry about the rounds being too long, no matter how long they are.

R8-action.jpg

30-06 round and there is almost an inch of clearance left in the magazine for longer rounds.

Attachments

• R8-action.jpg
    R8-action.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 42
At distance I have found the heavier bullets to perform better. In 223 I shoot 50gr to 85.5gr. At 1800 yards I dont have to tell you which one got impacts.

Same with 6.5 creedmoor. I use 123gr eldm and 147gr eldm. I've stuck with 147gr for a reason.

In 300nm I have only tried 215gr. I do have some 178 eldm to try...maybe I'll be surprised this time?
I don’t know man I took this rifle and went 2nd round at 1 mile. I understand the benefits of added BC. But I tend to run light for cartridge Projo’s and it never seems to hold me back.

These may not have been light for cartridge, but it’s pretty damn light for 1k plus.

Watching to see some numbers from the 6.5cm guys. I stuck with 130s, and sometimes wonder if I should bump up to 140. Most of my shooting is 610y and under, so I’m not sure if I would benefit from the 140s from my understanding.
I've been using 140's in my 6.5 CM, and have been wondering about going down to around 130s.....if any show up. What rate of twist is your gun?

I shot my 130 otm to 1200 at Arena with Chris Roberts just a few weeks ago. There's definitely something to be said for traveling light, and shooting lighter too. I know Chris likes the .224V, and given the success in the bolt gun world of the round, I am definitely considering it again. The 85.5 just looks ideal, but I'm not sure how different that is than my 223- with a 75gr bullet . I shoot it at pretty good speeds. I guess it's a little bit of a step up in speed and "normal" bullet weights.....

At any rate, the 224V is a cool round for a bolt.
I wish I had had this one out there with me. I was waiting to toss it into a chassis. This shoots waaaay better than that old thing I had with me. Hell I’m not even sure the one I had with me was zeroed. Shssssh, don’t tell anyone.

That being said, the thing I think the Valk gives over the 223 is room to grow without over pressure. And the thing it gives over the 223AI is factory ammo

Lighter projectiles are great, as long as they don't sacrifice more BC than the corresponding gain in velocity, when each is expressed as a wind hold. Unfortunately, the only "light" projectiles that win that battle are solids :ROFLMAO:
How much wind are you sacrificing? The difference between a 130 and 140 is what? A 1/10th?

I wish I had had this one out there with me. I was waiting to toss it into a chassis. This shoots waaaay better than that old thing I had with me. Hell I’m not even sure the one I had with me was zeroed. Shssssh, don’t tell anyone.

That being said, the thing I think the Valk gives over the 223 is room to grow without over pressure. And the thing it gives over the 223AI is factory ammo
Yeah that's a very good point. It does very much have room to grow. I started to build one a few years back, but a conversation with a barrel manufacturer rep turned me off of it completely. That was in relation to a gas gun though, and I much prefer the bolt accept in obvious gas gun situations. This really has me thinking about getting a bolt and barrel for a .224V

Of course, I am still waiting on my terminus bolt that I ordered last August, so that's probably not going to happen anytime soon, even if I wanted it to....

Reactions: CR2 Dude
Yeah that's a very good point. It does very much have room to grow. I started to build one a few years back, but a conversation with a barrel manufacturer rep turned me off of it completely. That was in relation to a gas gun though, and I much prefer the bolt accept in obvious gas gun situations. This really has me thinking about getting a bolt and barrel for a .224V

Of course, I am still waiting on my terminus bolt that I ordered last August, so that's probably not going to happen anytime soon, even if I wanted it to....
Yeah I get it. I had Red beard hook me up with their version of an Impact and they turned it around in less than 3 months.

Reactions: impactaddict
Yeah I get it. I had Red beard hook me up with their version of an Impact and they turned it around in less than 3 months.
I would definitely go another way now but I'm too invested on ghe Zeus set up. He sent me ghe action, and I have another Zeus that I bought used that does have a bolt. I am just missing the bolt for the new Zeus action. I am swaping the bolt between the two right now, but I'd sure like to have bolt I am supposed to have. I'm literally "chasing gear".....
Awesome action just doesn't work without the bolt....

I would definitely go another way now but I'm too invested on ghe Zeus set up. He sent me ghe action, and I have another Zeus that I bought used that does have a bolt. I am just missing the bolt for the new Zeus action. I am swaping the bolt between the two right now, but I'd sure like to have bolt I am supposed to have. I'm literally "chasing gear".....
Awesome action just doesn't work without the bolt....
Right

Old news of course but it seems to me the 70gr RDF is a good example of what Lowlight is getting at in the OP. (At least in concept.) Get the velocity and recoil of a 69gr SMK, but keep the b.c. of a 75-80+gr OTM. Win win, if it’ll shoot.

For me it mostly didn’t shoot until I found a particular barrel that likes it. Now I’m pushing it to 3,100 in a 20” AR, standard 223/5.56 not the 224V, loaded long with cut mags and loaded hot with Lever. I like it better than the 75/77 stuff and it’s easy to shoot and hit with.

I agree with Lowlight about going lighter with gear and bullets where it’s appropriate. Not everything needs to be a heavy rifle, but then I think that heavy rifle trend is mostly specific to the PRS crowd.

First time I ever shot the 6.5 Creed at 1,000 was with a 123 A-Max, and it was loaded mild. Still easy hits; it didn’t need heavy bullets or hot loads to get there. And that was in an 8 lb hunting rifle.

Reactions: lash and Lowlight
Without people chasing gear this website would be an empty shell in a lot of ways, fortunately, we all chase gear so I have nothing to worry about.

Light is Right !

In more ways than not, Light is Right. In terms of color and camouflage, light is better. I mean, who wants to carry a heavy pack, we'd all like a little less weight on our shoulders. When it comes to bullets, light is right too.

I know I am gonna sound like a broken record, but reality demands I report my findings to you guys. So in the spirit of knowledge transfer here we go...

Light wins,

To prove my Point I am gonna focus on Chris Robert's Rifle here in this picture
View attachment 7832626

That ^^^^ My Friends is a brand new 224 Valkyrie. Now ask yourself, who in 2022 is dumb enough to build a Valkyrie ? I fully admit that when I my Daughter's kids grow up, there probably wont be a 224V on the shelf. If there is, it's will some bargain bin, 75gr American Eagle leftover that nobody wants but the nostalgic.

I mean, I just showed you a custom made 224V/6.8 bolt head I have for an Accuracy International. Why on Earth would I waste my time on custom 224V build for an AI rifle - Dumb.

But this weekend, I again saw excellence....

I saw Chris take a shooter who was excited to shoot a target at 264 yards get a 1st round hit at 1200... 1200 yards, with this rifle.

Speed wins, Speed Kills, Speed is our friend... What is the best way to get speed, reduce the weight of the bullet, and it doesn't have to be a lot in the context of our shooting.

We are talking, we are comparing notes, we even spoke to people like Federal trying "relaunch" the Valkyrie with a new understanding of the round and our success in a bolt action rifle. None of the struggles and all of the hype, seriously. Won't happen, but it's fun to talk.

Even the bad ammo, works in our bolt guns.

So what does all this mean.... Absolutely nothing.

it means we are having fun, having success with a dead cartridge, but the caliber is alive and well which is all we need. Pushing a .22 caliber bullet at 2750fps to 2900fps lets us play around on the cheap. This stuff costs nothing to try.... if we can finesse, fine tune, enable a neat little pet load that works for the group... boom. Maybe it's an 80gr load, maybe it's 85.5gr, 90gr, we don't know where it takes us.

We hear about guys doing a little Mexican match, take the 75gr American Eagle at $8 a box, pull the bullet, drop in a 77gr SMK, oh wait, what is that... how about trying this with the bad 90s... drop in an 85.5 with the same BC. If you get that bullet to 2800fps, drop to 1k is a 6.5CM or better...

I know, waste of time, telling stories nobody wants to repeat.

Light rifle, around 10LBS shooting a light caliber, light modular pack, rapid engagements and movement, accuracy, no recoil, no heat, longer barrel life, what is not to like ...

We tend to go too heavy, the 6.5s work better under 140 grains, the 338 under 290grain, even the move from 230 to 225, or even 215gr, we see improvements. As you think about the upcoming shooting season, drop about 6 -10grs off your bullet weight and see what happens.

Indulge me,

If you handload, try this, instead of a 140 class of bullet, go 136gr to 123gr and see what you think be curious. Some of you non Competitor types who reload and plink alot, run the numbers, create the loads and try it. Give us some numbers.

Things that make you go... HMMM
I’ve been shooting the 123gr Scenars out of my 6.5 Creedmoor match gun lately. Previously was shooting 140gr Hornady BTHPs at about 2700. Why 2700? Because that’s where the accuracy was with that bullet. Im pushing the 123gr Scenars at about 2940 because that’s where I found best accuracy with that bullet. What I’ve found is the 123gr gives up no wind to the 140 until past 1000 yards and it uses 1.5 mils less elevation with noticeably less recoil. What’s not to like?

Well, there is one thing…. The 123gr at 2940 won’t make the minimum power factor for NRL Hunter. That is quite irritating as I have killed a bunch of stuff with my Creedmoors and bullets less than 140gr and it works great.

John

How much wind are you sacrificing? The difference between a 130 and 140 is what? A 1/10th?

If talking about 6.5, I shoot the Berger 153.5 @ 3260 and Badlands 135 @ 3410 out of a Sherman Max. But if I were shooting a Creed case, it would be a quarter bore with a 131 Blackjack or 133 or 135 Berger.