• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheapest way to ship a car across the country????

tlsmith22

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
ALABAMA
Anybody got any suggestions of a cheap way to do it. My son is in the Navy and has shipped his Jeep to San Diego. He has now decided he is going to sell it and keep his wife's car. So we have to get his wife's car to San Diego from Alabama. I told him I would buy the Jeep, but I hate to drive to CA and then back to AL. That would be a killer 4200 mile journey. I am thinking of just driving their car out and flying home and shipping the jeep. Any suggestions and what is the average cost??

Re: Cheapest way to ship a car across the country????

Another spot to check is uShip. I used it to get an excavator hauled from Iowa to Ohio. They bid on the job and will include it with other things heading that way. I felt I got a good price and had no problems at all.

http://www.uship.com/

Topstrap

I dont remember all the specifics, but while stationed at Pendleton, I responded to an ad I found somewhere. A lady in a similar situation was looking for someone to drive a car for her from N.Carolina to S. California.I replied cause I was headed there for a school.
Long story short,a buddy and I drove her car back, got to stop and visit my folks in Tx, she reimbursed our fuel and gave us a couple hundred bucks for our trouble.
Granted, there is alot of room for error, but it worked in that instance. Just saying.

I'd meet him in TX and swap cars. If he's new at his command there shouldn't be much of an issue getting a day or two of leave. If he's in a school.......it'll be a long weekend for him.

Cheers,

Doc

Insure it for double and put an ad on craigslist!