• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Modern Precision Rifle

I just got off the phone with Christensen Arms...16-20 week lead time on a 300 win mag MPR. Also called Cabelas (my closest Christensen dealer), and they said it may take some time to get it ordered since their merger with Bass Pro changed a lot of their contracts with different vendors. So now starts the 4-5 month wait for my new rifle :(

I really want one of these rifles. I’ve found. 6.5 Creedmoor with a 26” barrel. Kingzero seems to have had issues with his CM. Anybody have a 26” barrel 6.5 CM?

Btwn... Your accuracy is encouraging. Have you tested with longer strings of shots or only cold bore? I know the CF barrels are supposed to remain true, but reading some things in the past about christenens opening up while hot gives me pause.

Also, have you (or any other owners) by chance taken the chassis off and examined mounting/mating surface quality?

I know you were wondering if I was ever going to reply! Sorry, I’ve been busy lately, and actually got to take a good buck with my MPR last week in Mississippi to fully christen her!

I have shot several longer strings... >30 rds. Now, in all fairness, once I shoot a couple to verify zero, I back up and never go back to 100. Since I haven’t done this, I can’t say, unequivocally, that there isn’t any POI shift with a warmer barrel. However, my dope remains true out to around 800 yds (haven’t shot beyond that yet) so I just haven’t felt the need to double check the POI with a warm barrel. It appears to hold very true and consistent.

Finally got out to break in my MPR today. Very impressed with this gun! I opted for a 22" model in 6.5 Creedmoor. My other Creedmoors are in 24" & 26" barrels ( not Christensen) and the 50fps difference in muzzle velocity isn't worth the weight. My friends have 22" Surgeons that they shoot PRS and love that size barrel so I thought I would give the 22" MPR a try. I have a Nightforce ACTAR 5-25 mounted on it and the rifle feels nicely balanced. This is my first carbon barrel. For the break in I used a box of Federal Eagle 140 match rounds which I had laying around and after the formal break in I was able to get a half MOA group with the remaining 4 rounds. Looking forward to load development to see what I can get out of the carbon barrel.

Attachments

• Christensen Arms MPR (1 of 1).jpg
    Christensen Arms MPR (1 of 1).jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 308
I just got off the phone with Christensen Arms...16-20 week lead time on a 300 win mag MPR. Also called Cabelas (my closest Christensen dealer), and they said it may take some time to get it ordered since their merger with Bass Pro changed a lot of their contracts with different vendors. So now starts the 4-5 month wait for my new rifle :(
I am also looking at the 300 wm. finger crossed

Does Cabelas require it to be paid in full to order it?

I stopped in the store today, asked the gun library guys who I needed to talk to about a special order.

They gave me the guys name and told me to go to the regular gun counter...after a 30 minute wait, I finally got to speak to one of their salesmen.

I told him I was told to speak to Mr. King about a special order, he asked what I was looking to order and then went into the back room. 5 minutes later, the same salesman came back and said Mr. King is still working on it and hasn't heard back from Christensen. Funny, when I called Christensen, I got to speak to somebody immediately.
If I didn't have $400 in points and $100 in gift cards, I'd be going elsewhere.

The 15-20 week wait after the order is placed (whenever that may be) is really making me reconsider the Cabelas dealer exclusive Seekins Havak in 300wm.

I have a 26” barrel 6.5 Creedmoor due to me next week. I’m now trying to decide about an opticfor it. I have an older NF NXS 5.5-25 x56 that I will try but I expect it to be on the heavy side......kinda defeats the lightweight theme of rifle. This will be my longrange hunting gun but I want an optic that carries out the purpose of the setup. Any ideas on quality, lightweight scope in the $1,000-$2,000 range. Vortex RazorHD LH, Leupold VX 6HD,SIG Whiskey 5.

I have a couple of Razor HD LH scopes, and while they are great...I like the Leupold VX6HD's better. They are double the price, but much better turrets and illumination.

If/when I get mine, I'll be looking at the Vortex Razor AMG to go on top.

So all the factory ammo I tried chambered fine. I decided to just bump back the 120's and see what happens. I don't really shoot for groups and haven't been shooting much lately so im a little rusty. I have 62 rounds down the barrel and the throat seems to have opened up enough to where I can get an accurate length to the lands.

Anyone else having problems with weak ejection? Sometimes they eject fine, but other times they just barely flop out......kinda like a Savage.

IqlscwC.jpg

IG66o4x.jpg

0Yvlqo1.jpg

Last edited:
I received my 6.5 Creedmoor MPR this week with 26” barrel.WOW! It is a beautiful rifle. The fit and finish is perfect. I have had this very rifle in my head for years and I thought it was a dream when I first saw Christensen Arms offer this several months ago. I have a NF NXS 5.5-22 mounted and hopefully I’ll shoot it tomorrow. Maybe I can post some pics.

I backordered one of the .308 20" MPR model sometime around in late November from Eurooptic and it was ready for transfer in early January. I just received mine and I was pretty impressed by the fit and finish also. The action was pretty well made but not as nice as the 60 degree smoothness of the Weatherby Mark V action on a different firearm I own. The trigger is a very nice single stage, light with almost zero creep.

For those interested in weight it came in at 7.85 pounds so a little heavier than stated. With a pair of 1"Warne Mountain Tech low rings and a Vortex Razor HD LD 1.5-8x32 scope weight came in at 8.95 pounds with magazine. Comparable in total weight of a Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry 2 24" (rifle only weight 6.8 pounds) setup I have. My intent would to be use it for hunting primarily so keeping it light is important to me.

Downsides: For hand held shots the carbon fiber rail can be somewhat hard to hold with a traditional stance.

In terms of value these seem to be the sweet spot between the much heavier Ruger Precision Rifle and other makes such as Tikka T3X TAC A1, Blaser R8, Q the Fix. I think costs will likely go down a little more as dealers get more in stock. I have seen pricing out there (Oakhill and others) around $2030.

I received my 6.5 Creedmoor MPR this week with 26” barrel.WOW! It is a beautiful rifle. The fit and finish is perfect. I have had this very rifle in my head for years and I thought it was a dream when I first saw Christensen Arms offer this several months ago. I have a NF NXS 5.5-22 mounted and hopefully I’ll shoot it tomorrow. Maybe I can post some pics.

When you get a chance you mind tossing your 26" Creedmoor on a scale?? I would like to see how heavier that version is.

Thanks

Got out today and shot at 100 yards. Accuracy was just so so. All 5 round groups were around 1 moa. Hornady 140 grain BLACK and 129 grain Whitetail. The target picture is a ten round group. The first two went low, then the next seven went into the group and then the last one went high ou of the group. Also, some of my groups were horizontal little catapillars. I was experimenting with my technique,so I suspect that I am the problem,not the gun. I’m going to order some Whidden reloading dies, learn how this gun likes to be held and hopefully, my groups will start to shrink. Overall, I am very happy with this rifle.

Attachments

• 31A0F0B1-3A9E-4B3C-9B33-310FE6EDA26A.jpeg
    31A0F0B1-3A9E-4B3C-9B33-310FE6EDA26A.jpeg
    845.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 056AFB1D-6322-4045-86F8-41C76F612830.jpeg
    056AFB1D-6322-4045-86F8-41C76F612830.jpeg
    714.6 KB · Views: 289
  • 2E6EF556-C263-45E5-8546-6387465E90F7.jpeg
    2E6EF556-C263-45E5-8546-6387465E90F7.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 231
More pics

Attachments

• 5DF11630-70C9-4C43-9370-CE01872D8CE9.jpeg
    5DF11630-70C9-4C43-9370-CE01872D8CE9.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 213
  • C5CAFB9D-77EA-49B3-801C-340C3E0B736F.jpeg
    C5CAFB9D-77EA-49B3-801C-340C3E0B736F.jpeg
    937 KB · Views: 217
  • 3A421B12-FBD0-4E94-A3BA-959BEDF167AA.jpeg
    3A421B12-FBD0-4E94-A3BA-959BEDF167AA.jpeg
    679.4 KB · Views: 213
Got out today and shot at 100 yards. Accuracy was just so so. All 5 round groups were around 1 moa. Hornady 140 grain BLACK and 129 grain Whitetail. The target picture is a ten round group. The first two went low, then the next seven went into the group and then the last one went high ou of the group. Also, some of my groups were horizontal little catapillars. I was experimenting with my technique,so I suspect that I am the problem,not the gun. I’m going to order some Whidden reloading dies, learn how this gun likes to be held and hopefully, my groups will start to shrink. Overall, I am very happy with this rifle.

I know it sounds odd since they are relatively inexpensive, but my Tikka CTR loves the 140gr Hornady American Gunner. Can be found for $139.99 for a 200 bulk pack - Sportsmans Warehouse

Can anyone tell me the folded OAL of the 16” .308? Looked everywhere no can find.

Thanks

Disregard just got the phone with CA 32”

Just found out is 28” not 32” apparently CA measured the 20”...

Last edited:
Just got the call from Cabelas, rifle is ordered and approx 10 weeks out. 26" 300 wm MPR

Who did you talk to? Were you able to do all over the phone or did you have to go in? If you paid with gift cards, did they do that over the phone?

I called 3 days ago and was asked to leave a message for the Hunt Manager. No response yet. Finally sold my Tikka and my Razor HDII so I'm ready to order up in 300 NM MPR. Guess I'll call back tomorrow and try again...would love to hear 10 weeks vs 5 months.

Who did you talk to? Were you able to do all over the phone or did you have to go in? If you paid with gift cards, did they do that over the phone?

I called 3 days ago and was asked to leave a message for the Hunt Manager. No response yet. Finally sold my Tikka and my Razor HDII so I'm ready to order up in 300 NM MPR. Guess I'll call back tomorrow and try again...would love to hear 10 weeks vs 5 months.

All over the phone, I called the firearms department a few weeks back, was told I had to wait for the special order guy to be in. But they took my info, and exactly what I was looking for. Yesterday, the special order guy called back and said he got the order placed through Christensen and all they needed was 25% down.

When the rifle comes in, I'll pay the remaining 75%, partially with gift cards and points.

All over the phone, I called the firearms department a few weeks back, was told I had to wait for the special order guy to be in. But they took my info, and exactly what I was looking for. Yesterday, the special order guy called back and said he got the order placed through Christensen and all they needed was 25% down.

When the rifle comes in, I'll pay the remaining 75%, partially with gift cards and points.
Thanks for the info. I'll give them another try and see if I have any luck.

ETA - Called 2 nearby ones and they both said they don't do special order. hmmm, maybe just didn't want to hassle with it. Called another one in neighboring state and they had no problems telling me how to do it. Going to try nearby store one more time tomorrow, hoping weekday help is a bit more engaged, and see if I can save myself a few hours drive.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the 300 NM on order? I ordered one a few weeks ago and my gun guy said it would be 9-10 months. I would have thought they would be shipped at the same time as the 300 WM.

Thanks for the info. I'll give them another try and see if I have any luck.

ETA - Called 2 nearby ones and they both said they don't do special order. hmmm, maybe just didn't want to hassle with it. Called another one in neighboring state and they had no problems telling me how to do it. Going to try nearby store one more time tomorrow, hoping weekday help is a bit more engaged, and see if I can save myself a few hours drive.

When I called, I mentioned to the guy I spoke to that they carry Christensen rifles, but not this model in stores. I also mentioned that Christensen said they (Cabelas) could place a special order for the rifle, so maybe it got the ball rolling a little easier knowing that they already have the account setup.

I could have went through Eurooptic for a little better price and I'd assume a faster transaction...but my points and gift cards sort of had me stuck. Are you in the same boat?

*edit*
Are you dealing with one of their main locations or one of the smaller satellite locations? I'm going through one of their larger stores, Dundee, MI...I could see their smaller stores that don't deal with big volume not wanting to mess with it.

Speaking of Christensen, does anyone have any experience/feedback on the BA Tactical in 338 Lapua?

When I called, I mentioned to the guy I spoke to that they carry Christensen rifles, but not this model in stores. I also mentioned that Christensen said they (Cabelas) could place a special order for the rifle, so maybe it got the ball rolling a little easier knowing that they already have the account setup.

I could have went through Eurooptic for a little better price and I'd assume a faster transaction...but my points and gift cards sort of had me stuck. Are you in the same boat?

*edit*
Are you dealing with one of their main locations or one of the smaller satellite locations? I'm going through one of their larger stores, Dundee, MI...I could see their smaller stores that don't deal with big volume not wanting to mess with it.

I was going through their big store north of Seattle.

yeah, I am in same boat. have the full amount in gift cards and points so would like to use them on the MPR. I'm just assumed that Euro Optic wouldn't sell for a ~$1875 sales price it would have to be to have the total after tax & transfer cost ($2092) equivalent to my net out of pocket cost for ordering from Cabelas using gift cards ($2086). But maybe I'm wrong. Big factor is that I'd still have to pay sales tax on EuroOptic purchase due to WA laws.

I found another store about an hour south of Seattle that took my info to give to the special order person and said they'd call me back. That was on Tuesday and no call back yet. Hopefully they will call back.

Does anyone have the 300 NM on order? I ordered one a few weeks ago and my gun guy said it would be 9-10 months. I would have thought they would be shipped at the same time as the 300 WM.

Christensen told me they are about 3-4 months out on an 300NM MPR order.

Also interesting to note that the 6.5 MPR finally shows on Cabela's website with a 5-8 day timeframe to ship to the store. Too bad none of the other calibers are listed online.

Good thread with solid information and feedback, much appreciated. Definitely even more interested in this rifle now, and the price is hard to beat.

-tf

Can someone take a picture of the bottom of the rifle? I'm wondering if a tripod rail can be mounted, and how close to the receiver?

Finally got a chance these past few days to do some load development for my Christensen Arms MPR 6.5 Creedmoor 22" barrel. This is my first Carbon Fiber Barrel & I am really liking this rifle the more time I spend with it. Looks like I have found the rifles "sweet spot". Lapua brass, Remington small rifle primers, Hodgden H4350 & Hornady 140 grain ELD Match. 100 yds.

Attachments

• Christensen Arms MPR Group (1 of 1).jpg
    Christensen Arms MPR Group (1 of 1).jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: kroeger9
I'm intrigued by this rifle. Waiting to see what 300WM reviews are before jumping in.
I think you'll have at least a 3-4 month wait before its even available at all. Talked with EuroOptic after two weeks of trying to get Cabela's to order one for me and they don't have a solid availability date on the long action version yet.

Reactions: TipToeTango
I think you'll have at least a 3-4 month wait before its even available at all. Talked with EuroOptic after two weeks of trying to get Cabela's to order one for me and they don't have a solid availability date on the long action version yet.
Right on. More to time to save I guess

There's simply no way to ever give a solid date. There's way too many parts that have to be made to nail down a slid timeframe.

- Barrels have to be produced which is several processes that have to go smoothly alone. A batch of steel has to be delivered and then tested and passed for quality. Then the barrels have to be drilled, then they have to be rifled, then they have the be profiled and finished, then they have to be carbon wrapped.

- Actions and action parts have to be made. Again steel has to be delivered and tested, then they have to have all the machining done and individual parts like the bolt releases, extractors, ejectors, and so forth made and/or supplied. The actions are also nitrided so they have to be sent out for nitriding. If the nitride facility gets backed up then your parts wait in line there. These are done in large batches so you're most likely looking at freight shipping back and forth.

- Chassis have to be made. Again lots of material supply including carbon fiber which is pretty common to be on a nationwide shortage.

Once all these hurdles are over there's still plenty of areas that hiccups can occur in the final production process. Even if they shoot for a targeted date and tell people that you have a lot of pissed off customers who don't understand this if you miss it by a week and that's why a lot of manufacturers no longer give ETA's and if they are they're a long ways out.

The one advantage you have with going through Euro Optic is that they had these on order since they were first available for preorder. If you special order through another vendor then you're going to be put in line at whatever point they actually submit your special order to the manufacturer which can easily be up to a month after you actually place the order.

I've looked at a few Christensen rifles with the carbon fiber barrel and they're nice. They have carbon fiber stocks that look like they're pretty close to a Manners quality wise.

I'd like to handle one of their chassis to see if it's as nice as their other stuff.

I've machined more than one CA rifle stock. If Manners is to be considered the industry standard for composites with good quality then they are the polar opposite.

JUNK.

FWIW, Christensen told me 16-20 weeks out when I called back in early February about the 300wm. When Cabelas finally placed my order in late February, Christensen told them it would be approx 10 weeks for delivery.

Doesn't matter to me really, I don't have any hunts based around this rifle, so I'm in no rush. The longer the wait, the more time I have to dig change out of my couch cushions...so I'll end up with a better scope ;).

I finally pulled the trigger on one. 22" 6.5 CM. I will pair it with a Bushnell LRHS I already have for a general purpose hunting rifle.

Honestly I'm not convinced I want to keep the action and barrel. I really only wanted the Chassis. I'd really like to get a proof barrel in 7 SAUM for my Nucleus to put in the chassis.

It took a while but finally got someone at a Cabela's store to get the order in and take a 25% deposit. Ordered one in 300NM. Cabela's said based on their info from Christensen it would be June/July delivery. Not making any plans based on the date though.

Christensen Arms and Winner should never be in the same sentence. They have a long history of putting out shitty rifles, so why would this be any different.

Christensen Arms and Winner should never be in the same sentence. They have a long history of putting out shitty rifles, so why would this be any different.

I've seen a few posts like this, some recently on a FB thread about the MPR, but none of the bad experiences came from actual owners...a lot of "I know a guy" type stories.
A few guys jumped on the bandwagon saying they knew of a bunch of barrels that cracked in cold conditions, but they quit posting when somebody who works at Christensen jumped in and reported that that's NEVER happened.

Is this just one of those brands that people love to hate? Care to share your experience Primus?

I've seen a few posts like this, some recently on a FB thread about the MPR, but none of the bad experiences came from actual owners...a lot of "I know a guy" type stories.
A few guys jumped on the bandwagon saying they knew of a bunch of barrels that cracked in cold conditions, but they quit posting when somebody who works at Christensen jumped in and reported that that's NEVER happened.

Is this just one of those brands that people love to hate? Care to share your experience Primus?
They have a long history of putting out absolute shit products. Sportsmans has peddled their shit for years and uninformed fudds with disposable income have had to learn the hard way. Utah, Nevada, Idaho and CO are littered with burnt owners. More than a few hunting buddies and coworkers got burnt with poorly built rifles and terrible accuracy from a gun priced like a custom. Just do a Google search and read the horror stories. Hell I remember reading them here before the scout days as well. Funny how so many have such a short memmory.

Is it a short memory or is it that Christensen has gotten better? I'm honestly asking. I had read of issues in the past but also of things being resolved and there not being issues recently. Are there recent horror stories? Typically there are more folks posting online complaining about any given thing than there are folks praising something that is working for them. I searched for "Christensen Arms quality issues" and not one of the first page of results was a complaint.

looking past first page, I found a forum post about issues in 2013. Do you have links to any posts in 2016 or 2017 about quality problems? I may not be searching for right terms.

They have a long history of putting out absolute shit products. Sportsmans has peddled their shit for years and uninformed fudds with disposable income have had to learn the hard way. Utah, Nevada, Idaho and CO are littered with burnt owners. More than a few hunting buddies and coworkers got burnt with poorly built rifles and terrible accuracy from a gun priced like a custom. Just do a Google search and read the horror stories. Hell I remember reading them here before the scout days as well. Funny how so many have such a short memmory.
Hey Primus,
“Shit” must have be the word of the word of the day.......
FYI, I bought a 26” barrel 6.5 Creedmoor and could not be any happier! I am not a “ gun snob” but I do own several top shelf firearms. No, the MPR is not top shelf but it is a very well thought out rifle and the quality is exceptional considering the price. It’s clean lines and simple to the point approach is refreshing. Everything just works on this rifle.I had a bad experience about 15 years ago with a CA carbon fiber .308 barrel. On strings of fire the shots would walk diagonally . Would not hold a consistent cold bore shot either. Not so with this Creedmore. After about 200 rounds, the groups hold at about 1/2 moa and the groups do not walk. Cold bore from day to day stays the same.
Primus, I just don’t care for your negative comments...... please keep your SHIT to yourself.

Reactions: redtr6man
Hey Primus,
“Shit” must have be the word of the word of the day.......
FYI, I bought a 26” barrel 6.5 Creedmoor and could not be any happier! I am not a “ gun snob” but I do own several top shelf firearms. No, the MPR is not top shelf but it is a very well thought out rifle and the quality is exceptional considering the price. It’s clean lines and simple to the point approach is refreshing. Everything just works on this rifle.I had a bad experience about 15 years ago with a CA carbon fiber .308 barrel. On strings of fire the shots would walk diagonally . Would not hold a consistent cold bore shot either. Not so with this Creedmore. After about 200 rounds, the groups hold at about 1/2 moa and the groups do not walk. Cold bore from day to day stays the same.
Primus, I just don’t care for your negative comments...... please keep your SHIT to yourself.
I could give 2 shits if u like or dislike my comments. This is an open discussion where people are trying to make informed decisions. Your anecdotal experience is just that. 90% of the people who buy a CA rifle wouldn't know there was an issue anyway. How many even know what a tracking test is. When your target market is ignorant fudds and room temp IQ hunters, it is what it is.

You crying about it won't whitewash the sketchy history of this company. Like I said, too many people have been burned and they have a terrible reputation in the rocky mountain region as a result.

There are way too many good products on the market to play roullete with a company with a sketchy past. Ruining a once in a lifetime hunt or your 7 year wait on a bull Elk tag is no bueno.

Is it a short memory or is it that Christensen has gotten better? I'm honestly asking. I had read of issues in the past but also of things being resolved and there not being issues recently. Are there recent horror stories? Typically there are more folks posting online complaining about any given thing than there are folks praising something that is working for them. I searched for "Christensen Arms quality issues" and not one of the first page of results was a complaint.

looking past first page, I found a forum post about issues in 2013. Do you have links to any posts in 2016 or 2017 about quality problems? I may not be searching for right terms.
If you can find one that shoots consistantly. Typically the Chrsitensen Arms (CA), group poorly, because of the carbon barrel. We have done a number of experiements with them and the bottom line is the barrels have major issues with resonance or whip, its the way the carbon fiber is mated to the barrel liner is one problem. The other is they take a shilen blank and turn it down too far and too fast ruining the barrel tolerances, and they don't use the select match grade of barrel on the custom seires but the cheaper match grade. I've had a number of them, and none have shot consistantly over time and temperature. Some have shot like a 1/3 MOA, but the next time you take them out with the same load and conditions they'll shoot 2 MOA! All of them have had tight necks in the bore, We've tried lapping them, mating them to custom actions, recutting crowns and nothing gets them to shoot well. Another problem is the barrels will move with temperature, 1st group shoots dead on the target area, next group shoots 2 inches to the left etc. This is due to outside of the barrel sleeves not being concentric with the bore. We take them on trade all the time from dissatisfied customers who complain they don't shoot well. Our high velocity custom rifles shoot near one hole groups consistantly over temperature always, the CA's never do. I could write a book on this subject but time limits my response, any other questions you can call our offcies at 801-796-9395 or visit our website at www.utahrifle.com

hope this helps,

Michael Gerulat
President - Utah Rifle LLC

Reactions: Jeffd