• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Modern Precision Rifle

J741 have you been able to put that 300 norma mag to work yet?
I've been swamped at work so I lent it to my brother for hunting season. He hasn't had a whole lot of time on it either. There is an issue with the second hand scope rings I sent him appaerntly not holding (they are torqued down before an outing but when coming back afterwards they are able to move more before tripping torque limits) and he's working on that.

I was wondering if the .308(16 inch-20inchers) has a shorter handguard compared to the 6.5 creedmoor. Reason is i want to get a short handguard version and put an 18 inch proof barrel on there in 6.5 creedmoor. I just dont think the 22 inch is short enough. Especially for the kind of bushwacking that needs to be done here in south georgia. Sadly the 6.5 creedmoor version doesnt come in 20 inches or less :(

Edit: found out on website it actually has a 14 or 17 inch handguard version. Welp guess ill need another 700$ for a 16 inch proof 6.5 barrel lol.

Last edited:
If anyone is shooting a MPR in 300 norma mag I would sure like details. I am facing a pretty long wait to get one and I am wondering how these rifles are shooting in the norma mag with the 8 twist.

I guess because I haven't seen many for sale on the classifieds they are either really popular(not a lot of problems) or really unpopular.

I guess because I haven't seen many for sale on the classifieds they are either really popular(not a lot of problems) or really unpopular.
Ya, I am not sure, but its hard to get a new one let alone one that's used

Reactions: GungHo
There was at least one 6.5 MPR sold here in classified in past month or so. The long actions do seem harder to find. I had, IIRC, a 10 week wait on mine ordering through Cabelas (to use the 20% gift card discounts that now seem to no longer be around).

well, if you want a new one in 6.5 - https://www.cabelas.com/product/CHR...ECISION-CENTERFIRE-RIFLE/2737514.uts?slotId=1

I wish I had info to share on my 300NM MPR. I dont' think I'll have hands on it until Jan/Feb. But, the person who does have it is pretty impressed by fit/finish/quality. He just had some issues with scope mounts and so the only 2 outings after barrel break-in were bad 1.5" groups eventually attributed to scope moving. Hope to hear more info in next few weeks.

Reactions: BClrh
I have a 24” 6.5 creed and sold it to a friend. Took the money and put it toward a 6.5 PRC I hope to shoot this weekend. I hope it shoots as good as my creedmoor did. I’ll be pushing the 147 to over 3000 maybe 3100.

These rifles are an unbelievable value. The chassis alone in my mind is worth close to 1700. The only thing that’s junk is the grip but that’s an easy replacement and everyone has a different taste. The action isn’t nearly as smooth as my customs but for the price I didn’t expect it to me. It feels lose but slick. Like a nitrided Remington almost. Also the trigger tech primary is kinda meh. I replaced mine with a trigger tech special

Reactions: Langford
The 143 Precision Hunters shot 1/2 MOA in my PRC MPR. The picture is five shots. The first was lower left and the next four were shot after adjustment.

The 147 Match didn't shoot as well. I haven't put any handloads through it yet. I did, however work up a solid load for the Ridgeline PRC that piled 147s together at 200 yards.

Attachments

• 20181030_180540.jpg
    20181030_180540.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: generalzip
Nice. I’ll probably start at 55 grains RL26 with the 147 .02 off and work up in half grain increments. If none of them shoot I’ll switch to h1000 and try that. I’ve noted my other Christensen is VERY PICKY with what bullets and powders it likes. Maybe this is the nature of these carbon barrel. My 28 nosler would not shoot the 175 ELDX in any powder or weight. Switched to 180 Berger’s and started stacking them.

Nice. I’ll probably start at 55 grains RL26 with the 147 .02 off and work up in half grain increments. If none of them shoot I’ll switch to h1000 and try that. I’ve noted my other Christensen is VERY PICKY with what bullets and powders it likes. Maybe this is the nature of these carbon barrel. My 28 nosler would not shoot the 175 ELDX in any powder or weight. Switched to 180 Berger’s and started stacking them.

You may not be able to fit the 147s in the mag at .020" off. The mag is pretty tight at 2.950.

My Ridgeline tuned in at .020" off with an OAL of 2.980" with the hornady max load of RL26. H1000 did okay, solid 3/4 MOA with as many shots as you wanted to shoot into the group, but RL26 was the clear choice sending five shots into nearly the same hole at 200 yards.

When I start handloading the MPR I'll probably start with 143s at the same base to ogive measurement as the factory stuff and tune the powder charge.

I have also seen that some of the ELD-X line tune in with a considerable amount of jump. My christensen barreled 338 RUM came together at .110" off the lands with the 270 ELD-X. It took a bit of patience to find where it needed to be, but it was worth the extra effort. The load came together with single digit ES at 2965 fps.

Last edited:
The 147 in my rifle is 2.99” to the lands. So 2.97” puts me .02” off which also happens to be the max mag length for both my alpha and accurate mag. Hopefully it doesn’t jam up being that long so we will see

Reactions: Wyzrd
Easy to carry in WV mountains. Claimed 2 deer for the freezer. Also made first round hits at 537 and 1283 yards. 22” barreled 6.5 creedmoor 140 hunting VLD@2780.

ETA: I should clarify I was shooting at rocks at the above distances. The deer were much closer.

Attachments

• 13E904BA-D6DC-4567-9FFC-46186190349F.jpeg
    13E904BA-D6DC-4567-9FFC-46186190349F.jpeg
    488.3 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
From the person with my 300NM MPR. He got the scope mounted well and here is result at 100. One called low shot and still 0.77” group, per submoa

Attachments

• D6B20F68-AFE4-4978-8374-BEE8364F8EAC.jpeg
    D6B20F68-AFE4-4978-8374-BEE8364F8EAC.jpeg
    455.5 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: LakuNoc and BClrh
From the person with my 300NM MPR. He got the scope mounted well and here is result at 100. One called low shot and still 0.77” group, per submoa
Looking pretty good. Any load details?

I always heard Christensen’s have issues
I know they had problems at first but from what I have seen in the past couple years they seem to have things locked down. I worked up loads in two ridgelines and both shot under half moa.

I've owned 3. 0 issues. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Not lucky. Some guys just can't shoot.

I also see that people buy these rifles expecting them to shoot Core Lokts into 1/4 minute groups. Then they let the whole world know about the $2k factory rifle that doesn't meet the accuracy guarantee. Sorry guys, that's not how the game works.

Last edited:
Not lucky. Some guys just can't shoot.

I also see that people buy these rifles expecting them to shoot Core Lokts into 1/4 minute groups. Then they let the whole world know about the $2k factory rifle that doesn't meet the accuracy guarantee. Sorry guys, that's not how the game works.

Maybe that's just it... I own a ridgeline and 2 MPRs. All shoot half MOA with handloads. I will say the Ridgeline (28 Nosler) was VERY picky. I was about to give up until I switched to 180 berger hunting VLDs and Retumbo and backed off near max and it all suddenly came together. This gun DOES NOT like Hornady 175 ELDX or H1000. That's the only thing I've noticed with these carbon barrels is that they seem to be a little pickier than SS barrels. But once you find a load it likes, they shoot lights out.

I guess my MPR in 6.5 CM is the same. It does not like RL16 or 143 ELDX. It shoots .5 with H4350 and 140 Berger hunting VLD.

I guess my MPR in 6.5 CM is the same. It does not like RL16 or 143 ELDX. It shoots .5 with H4350 and 140 Berger hunting VLD.

Yup I've found switching to another bullet is your best bet. My 6.5 MPR shot great with RL16 and 147s. Like really good. I have a 6.5 PRC I'm working with 147's and RL26 right now. Showing some promise.

I've owned 3. 0 issues. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Maybe it's just luck but here's my CA10 barreled AR10 home build. Is it just me is it laying down 3 five shot 1/2 MOA groups with factory ammo with the exception of the shot I pulled? Perhaps I just "got a good one" lol.

Even after buying an AXSA I still have a strong urge to call CA and have them do a 16" or 18" MPR in 6.5cm for me. Trying to fight that urge becuase $$ but it's not going well.
20180430_114454.jpg

Reactions: rydah
I have one in 6.5 that I bought off a member on here its shooting very well 4.5-18 LHRSi for glass I likes the ELDX and ELD ammo and I have been using 143 X to hunt with . I tired Nosler 140 Bt and it shot ok just under MOA

147 ELD is .5-.7 groups I am very please with it as a complete gun I feel for a box gun its shoots very well .

I love the way it packs down . Trigger was a touch heavy for me I lighten it up a bit ( I have not tested to see what it is currently at Was just trial and error for personal preference .

I do plan to hand load for it at some point but with how well the Factory stuff is shooting not sure I have a direct need for it .

Popped this guy over Thanks giving on my deer lease ( West TX ) . He was trotting and any one that hunts pigs know they are strange when moving .. He stopped just as I sent the round , 188 yard shot Nothing long by any means at this point .

I can say I am not a fan of the stock grip . Have not decided on what one to get . I have been reading this thread and others and i see a few different ones that are being used .. Might be better to start a new thread on that ?? Do not want to hyjack the thread

Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Last edited:
I needed a lightweight, preferably collapsible solid bolt-action sniper system for a dedicated night time thermal rig. This gun fit the bill. I opted for my favorite .308 caliber in a 16in barrel as this kept the overall length and weights minimal. After receiving the gun and holding it for the first time I can comfortably say, it feels like an empty water soaker. It was light and it handled like a toy. When compared to my 20 pound desert tech SRS, I couldn't imagine how this hollow gun can possibly shoot and I figured the recoil would be counterproductive to accuracy I was seeking. I almost sent it back immediately but figured I might as well sit with it over the weekend to make sure I didn't have a change of heart.

I mounted my thermal on the gun, adjusted the stock, put on my "rifles only" sling and started to hold over targets to see how it felt from a standing and unsupported position which was the objective of this project to begin with.
It was at that exact moment I realized this gun was magical. I was able to hold the gun on target for minutes without any effort. It feels like someone was holding the front of my barrel steady for me. . My desire to try this gun outweighed any chance of returning it.

20181206_002629.jpg
20181206_001803.jpg
20181206_002512.jpg
20181206_002058.jpg
20181206_002629.jpg20181206_001803.jpg20181206_002512.jpg20181206_002058.jpg

Looks great! Only needs a suppressor!

I was going to remove the original CA brake so I can use my Area 419 quick disconnect system with the sidewinder or my Hybrid but I'm not sure I will ever need to use my supressor on this system as my desert tech accomplished that in a smaller overall system. After hunting season. I might do this to see how Inlike it.
FB_IMG_1545541812746.jpg

Desert tech, .308 16 inch, overall 27 inch long system SUPRESSOR!

I had the same problem with the MPR and the hog saddle, you have to put a foam shim in there because the hog saddle doesn't fit some of the slimmer modern handguards on AR's and the MPR.

But I really like the MPR.

I had the same problem with the MPR and the hog saddle, you have to put a foam shim in there because the hog saddle doesn't fit some of the slimmer modern handguards on AR's and the MPR.

But I really like the MPR.

It's a small world. lol. I used dense rubber ( 3/8") from tractor supply. It really grabs both the gun and the saddle nicely.

Im using the RRS adapter. However that is for an Arca Swiss head. Not sure if anyone makes one for an RC4.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/M-LOK-Adapter-Plate

I looked everywhere, RC4 is a wider style connection so none really uses RC4 for applications like this.

Than I read (on magpul site) that these tripod devices should only be used on metal handguards. Being the MPR has a carbon fiber handguard I talked myself out of swapping systems.

I can tell you, my prs rifle will have the connector as you have pointed out.

I was a little hesitant using it on the carbon handguard. I did notice it is much thicker on the MPR than other carbon handguards like lancer systems. The MPR is relatively light and the mount is on a balance point so that should help. I used it hunting this season without issue, and I don't mind being the guinea pig.

I was a little hesitant using it on the carbon handguard. I did notice it is much thicker on the MPR than other carbon handguards like lancer systems. The MPR is relatively light and the mount is on a balance point so that should help. I used it hunting this season without issue, and I don't mind being the guinea pig.

Right, I agree if your balanced your probably good to go!

If anyone is shooting a MPR in 300 norma mag I would sure like details. I am facing a pretty long wait to get one and I am wondering how these rifles are shooting in the norma mag with the 8 twist.

I finally got my 300nm in and had some time over the holiday to do the break in and shoot. Shot all factory 225 eld-m. They’re running 2920 on Doppler. After zeroing at 200 and firing a couple three shot groups at 1/2 MOA, I walked it out on 3x3 plates from 200 to a mile in 100 yd increments. I had two misses. One at 1400, then my first shot at a mile. I hit the next two in a row at a mile. I have never shot more than 1000 yards before that day. I’m thrilled with this gun to say the very least. Ready to start doing load development now.

I finally got my 300nm in and had some time over the holiday to do the break in and shoot. Shot all factory 225 eld-m. They’re running 2920 on Doppler. After zeroing at 200 and firing a couple three shot groups at 1/2 MOA, I walked it out on 3x3 plates from 200 to a mile in 100 yd increments. I had two misses. One at 1400, then my first shot at a mile. I hit the next two in a row at a mile. I have never shot more than 1000 yards before that day. I’m thrilled with this gun to say the very least. Ready to start doing load development now.
Sounds like a shooter! Keep us posted on your progress with reloads.

Reactions: kroeger9

This video just makes the wait harder, lol. My mpr in 300NM is supposed to be here in six weeks but we shall see I am not holding my breathe.
I have the redding type s fl die set, lapua brass, 215 bergers, h1000 and n570 ready to go.

This video just makes the wait harder, lol. My mpr in 300NM is supposed to be here in six weeks but we shall see I am not holding my breathe.
I have the redding type s fl die set, lapua brass, 215 bergers, h1000 and n570 ready to go.

6 weeks? Wow, where did you order from? ScopeList has them in stock. Call them up and see what they can do for you.

I got mine around Christmas. finally got out today to start barrel break in on it. Really like it so far.

6 weeks? Wow, where did you order from? ScopeList has them in stock. Call them up and see what they can do for you.

I got mine around Christmas. finally got out today to start barrel break in on it. Really like it so far.
I am in Canada so I have lapua brass and n570 available but its a little tough to get the rifle. The only reason it might be six weeks is because someone had it on order and got tired of waiting so I took his spot. Without that it would be more like six months.

Has anyone noticed early pressure at lower than expected velocities and super heavy bolt lifts with their rifle? Mines a 6.5 PRC. Ejector swipes occur even at low charges. And 3/5 rounds will have an extremely heavy bolt lift. I'm at 55.5 grains of RL26 with a 147.

Has anyone noticed early pressure at lower than expected velocities and super heavy bolt lifts with their rifle? Mines a 6.5 PRC. Ejector swipes occur even at low charges. And 3/5 rounds will have an extremely heavy bolt lift. I'm at 55.5 grains of RL26 with a 147.

Have you tried backing of the seating depth yet? Could be getting into the lands.

I've found that the heavy bolt lift on these is a combination of a lot of cock on open and getting up to pressure. Are you getting good primary extraction, or is the case sticking in the chamber? Are the ejector marks nice and round? If so, this is caused by the sharp machined edges of the ejector holes. Don't worry about it. It will likely show marks on Hornady brass at lower pressure too. If there are actually smears on the case head, then you have a pressure sign. How are your primers? Are they flat, do they come out looking like a chef's hat? Are the pockets holding up?

How many rounds do you have through it and what is your current velocity?

I've found that the heavy bolt lift on these is a combination of cock on open and getting the pressure up. Are you getting good primary extraction, or is the case sticking in the chamber? Are the ejector marks nice and round? If so, this is caused by the sharp machined edges of the ejector holes. Don't worry about it. It will likely show marks on Hornady brass at lower pressure too. If there are actually smears on the case head, then you have a pressure sign. How are your primers? Are they flat, do they come out looking like a chef's hat? Are the pockets holding up?

How many rounds do you have through it and what is your current velocity?

It's weird it will only do it on maybe 3/5 rounds. My theory is the RL26 is temp sensitive and if you take too long to shoot it will "cook" in the chamber. The ejector marks are smears. Very very heavy bolt lift/ Velocity is low around 2900-2950 with a 147. primers look fine and pockets are still tight but only 1 firing on the brass.

Just saw that CA is making the MPR in anodized desert brown now. Looks pretty sharp.

It's weird it will only do it on maybe 3/5 rounds. My theory is the RL26 is temp sensitive and if you take too long to shoot it will "cook" in the chamber. The ejector marks are smears. Very very heavy bolt lift/ Velocity is low around 2900-2950 with a 147. primers look fine and pockets are still tight but only 1 firing on the brass.

Is the velocity spiking when the rounds "cook"? If so, I think you may be onto something. It happens with a lot of powders no matter the brand name on the bottle.

The velocity seems about right for your charge. Mine is at 2975 with 55.7 grains of RL26 and the 143s are at 3020 fps with 56.1 grains, but the velocity didn't stabilize until i got to about 70 rounds through the bore.