• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

cleaning

sniper81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
how often do you clean your rimfires, i run a bore snake through mine if i shoot over 50 yds in a setting, plan not to fully clean it till accuracy falls off

I always clean mine after each shooting session. I don't care whether I shoot 1 round or 1,000 rounds in said session, the guns get a cleaning when they get home.

I always clean mine after each shooting session. I don't care whether I shoot 1 round or 1,000 rounds in said session, the guns get a cleaning when they get home.

That's what I used to do for the longest time. Then I read several articles about the issue and found there was really no need to clean so often unless the rifle is not going to be fired for quite an extended period. Now I only clean after a few hundred rounds whenever I notice groupings opening up. And there are issues with some ammo, especially cheep ammo like Remington's Thunderbolt that can leave a large amount of lead behind inside the barrel. So, I'd say is just not a hard fast rule one way or the other as there are a few variables involved.

I haven't cleaned a .22 LR firearm barrel in 30 years, since I damaged a crown, and the lack hasn't hurt mine. It's easy to say "Be careful of the crown," but it doesn't take much to damage it. I'm so serious about this that I won't buy a used rimfire if the barrel's clean - somebody might have screwed it up. It's hard for me to imagine what damage a soft lead slug can do to a hard steel barrel if there's no corrosive content.

How did you damage the crown? Crowns can be fixed by any halfwit gunsmith, never mind the great ones that are scattered all over the place.

my gun loves the thunderbolts, like i said after a range session i run a bore snake through it and i clean the bolt face really good other than that i don't plan on cleaning till im done shooting the brick of 500

One pull through of a clean and dry bore snake every 50 rounds. Clean and lube everything else as needed

Haven't cleaned my P-54 Sako in 30 plus years, I have a CZ 455 that NEEDS to be cleaned every 30 rounds or so. It will throw flyers like you wouldn't believe, then after a bore snake its fine for about 30-40 rounds. It dumped on me today in a match. Nothing like watching flyers 5-6 inches left and 2-3 inches high at 100. Heres a 5 shot 50 yard group after the bore snake.
IMG_6007.JPG

PD- Nice shooting. Have you tried JB/Kroil on your CZ barrel? I hear 30 strokes helps it not get so fouled up. Maybe it could use a good polishing?

I had a nice day at the range for a change...5 round groups at 50 yards. The one off to the left was me trying to see where my POI was. I did about 10 groups of 5, about half were this size. The rest about 0.7". Did a few 10 round groups, couldn't get better than 0.7 on those. This was about 400 rounds since cleaning.

Attachments

• Resized_20180630_153714_7381.jpeg
    Resized_20180630_153714_7381.jpeg
    796.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hopes 9 is all that's ever been through it. Barrel is factory and has less than 1500 through it. I'll be putting a Fedderson on it very soon. This was supposed to hold me over until I could spring for a Vudoo or a 2500 and here I am having to dump money into it. It's the craziest acting thing I've ever seen. Right before it really goes bad the cold bore shot will be insane off. And when it gets more than two boxes dirty you can't hit a 8" plate at 50 with it. Then snake it and it shoots really good for about 30-40 rounds. Here's 3 different targets showing the cold bore shot way off.
IMG_5978.JPG

Hopes 9 is all that's ever been through it. Barrel is factory and has less than 1500 through it. I'll be putting a Fedderson on it very soon. This was supposed to hold me over until I could spring for a Vudoo or a 2500 and here I am having to dump money into it. It's the craziest acting thing I've ever seen. Right before it really goes bad the cold bore shot will be insane off. And when it gets more than two boxes dirty you can't hit a 8" plate at 50 with it. Then snake it and it shoots really good for about 30-40 rounds. Here's 3 different targets showing the cold bore shot way off.

That is enough to drive you insane. I have heard Fedderson are hit or miss and the guy is good enough to tell you that up front. Before doing that, it might be worth polishing the barrel with JB. What stock is it in? Good luck with the new barrel.

I'm ready to try anything, I just brushed it with a copper brush and #9 like I was on crack. I'll see what happens. At this point I don't have much to loose. It's still in a factory stock, I wanted your stock but I'm thinking a barrel is more in order.

i know match shooters who clean after every 20 rounds..........i know shooters who havent cleaned their guns ever........all shoot great.

im of the conviction that if your gun is shooting well.....dont fuck with it......frankly you risk doing damage to your barrel every time you run a rod down it.....so if you dont have to, why do it?

the only time i ever clean my gun is when i change ammo.....im going on close to 1500 rounds since last cleaning with no perceptible change in accuracy.

i will take a brush and clean out the chamber area every once and a while.....but thats it.

I'm ready to try anything, I just brushed it with a copper brush and #9 like I was on crack. I'll see what happens. At this point I don't have much to loose. It's still in a factory stock, I wanted your stock but I'm thinking a barrel is more in order.

I have my stock sale on hold for now. I would get the barrel. But, that doesn't guarantee anything. I have heard of people having issues with Lilja drop in barrels, Feddersen, etc. I will PM you with some thoughts. Don't want to high jack this thread.