• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Cold bore zero

crackerbacks

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
SE Michigan
Does bedding a rifle help bring the cold bore zero closer to the warm bore zero? i have a Savage 17HMR I am thinking about bedding.

Re: Cold bore zero

shot shift for cold/hot bore is mainly caused by barrel type and quality. Bedding will do little to change this, but however, will improve overall accuracy

I agree with the barrel theory, with the exception that if your action is not tight and seated in the stock, and the recoil from the first shot is what puts it back where it belongs, bedding should help. I still need to bed my Savage 93 since the action/stock connection is a bit tenuous. Not much recoil, granted, but one of the bolts relies on friction alone.

I was always under the impression that if you did not bed, the heat expansion from the barrel/receiver would change the POI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was always under the impression that if you did not bed, the heat expansion from the barrel/receiver would change the POI.
</div></div>

+1, but I dont know how much a 17 HMR's recoil would "setback" the action, or heat it up that much. Unless of course you are shooting ALOT

bedding will help but to me the barrel is the most important part. Shooting benchrest has taught me that some barrels need to be warmed up before they shoot and some don't. Some need to be fouled and some shoot the first shot with the rest of the group. Best to shoot the gun cold and remember what it does.