• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

Found this spot near Georgetown a while ago while four wheeling. Going to verify that I can shoot here but i cant imagine why i couldn't.

Attachments

• xsqwh.jpg
    xsqwh.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 157
Hey Guys, a friend of mine is up in Crested Butte and is wanting to take his father in law out to shoot somewhere in Gunnison National Forest. Does any one have a recommendation of a secluded place to go shoot about 100 rounds?

Finding anything secluded near Crested Butte is an oxymoron. There are people and assholes EVERYWHERE. I was raised there when the population was less than 200.
You might try going up Washington Gulch. After the second cattle guard is Forest Service land but in a trust with the town of Crested Butte so I don't know for sure about shooting there. About 1/2 mile after the 2nd cattle guard is a big meadow that you turn left onto and you can shoot across the creek into Anthracite Mesa if it isn't over run by assholes and mountain bikes.
You also might try going west up Kebler Pass road to Splain's Gulch on your left, drive as far as you can and walk in there a ways and shoot towards Mt. Carbon down a big draw.
Good luck with all of that as there are liberal bungholes EVERYWHERE.
I seldom return to my hometown as it is OVER RUN. People are loving my home forests and area to death. Campers and bicycles everywhere. ATV, you name it. Too many people.
There is a range down near Gunnison that you might hit. Call and see if you can get on.
Post up how it goes. Foul Mike Sad situation over there with all of the homeless and bums.

Last edited:
Landed in Greeley for work. Looks like the Pawnee Sportsmen Center is my best bet? :rolleyes: double checking before I lay down dues.

When I lived up north my buddy and I used to head out to Pawnee to shoot, that was back before there was a Sportsman's Center out there, being largely BLM land out there, there has got to be places you can shoot outside the Sportsman's Center?

Depends on what you're looking for. In addition to the Pawnee Sportsmens Center, there's a public, no-fee range run by the USFS. It's north of US 14, at the intersection of county roads 63 and 96. Also, there's the Great Guns Sporting range in Nunn, CO, at county roads 33 and 96. 3 rifle ranges of 100, 200, and 300 yds. They offer optional memberships in addition to hourly rates, just as the Sportsmens Center does.

If you're looking for longer than 300 yds, Sportsmens Center or shooting on the Pawnee Grassland are your only options. Sportsmens Center has a 1000 yds range, with steel set up every 100 yds between 400 and 1000. Grassland shooting you're on your own, obviously. For quite a while, there were frequent reports of USFS Rangers handing out tickets for unsafe shooting (too close to road, shooting in direction of homes/farms, etc.). Never figured out myself where a good location was for 1000+ yds shooting in the Grassland.

I live in FoCo as of 6 months ago, moved from Orlando. I have been looking for some shooting buddies ever since. I am a member at Pawnee and shoot on Mondays or Tuesdays. I am reletivly new to long range shooting but I have been doing my research and homework and am able to hit steel pretty well out to 500 yards. I would really love to meet some like minded people I can learn from and shoot with. Im 26, male and very down to earth. Hit me up if anyone would like to plan a range day!

Just relocated from South Florida. Looking for open land to shoot on, willing to drive far to find a good spot. Currently situated in Denver, local ranges suck and have expensive membership dues. Went to one spot in Dillon, basically a backstop and some benches, but it was free admission free targets free ear plugs. If I have to join a club, I want more than a 100yd box range.

Check out Pawnee Sportsman Center in Briggsdale, just North of Greeley. It would be about an hour and a half from Denver. They have a website you can check out to see what they offer. 100 and 200 yard rifle (bring your own target and stand), 1000 yard rifle with steel gongs, pistol ranges, tactical bays, trap, skeet. I shoot there every Tuesday. Let me know if you will be heading out there anytime soon if you would like to set up a range day. Best of luck with your range search!

I'll bump this up as being new to the forum but in Colorado for about three years now. Coming from western NY there was no point in getting into the long range game when you're stuck at 100, but usually less. I've done some service rifle competition at CRC with a member there and we decided to move into the bolt action game. Always been interested in the science of making small objects hit at long distance. I've started with an off the rack 700 in 300wm. I already have a scar and M1A in 308 so I wanted a different round to get into. I'll spend this winter researching glass and go from there. I've done some reloading for 223 and 308 so I'll eventually find a load this rifle likes and see what I can get it to do.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, you should check out the CPW Steel Range in Buena Vista, Chaffee County. They have a really nice facility, and steel out to 1020 yards!! The best part of the whole thing is, it is absolutely FREE!! They do like it when people help out by painting the steel after a shoot though. Nice place to go, and plenty of stuff to shoot!!

DK

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, you should check out the CPW Steel Range in Buena Vista, Chaffee County. They have a really nice facility, and steel out to 1020 yards!! The best part of the whole thing is, it is absolutely FREE!! They do like it when people help out by painting the steel after a shoot though. Nice place to go, and plenty of stuff to shoot!!

DK

Was out there several weeks ago. Not sure if they are redoing the range or what, but all the targets are gone on the right-hand side of the range and there is nothing to shoot at beyond about 600 yards. Rumor has it the 1000 yard targets were not supposed to be there in the first place.

Sounds like it would be worth it, if the targets are still there. Sammichmaker and the dogs can go hike and I can ring steel. Sounds like a win/win.

I was down at the BV range within the last few months and think the 1000 yard steel is gone. Still, the range is nice and if you go on a weekday I doubt you’ll be disappointed. The weekends are a different story. At a public range you’re bound to get the public. I’ve seen some behavior on the firing line that made me uncomfortable. Again, that was on a Saturday when traffic is highest. There’s also a public range out in Sterling that has two rifle ranges. The 1000 yard range has a variety of steel between 700 and 1000. The “shorter” range has steel from 200 to 500 if I remember correctly. Public means public here, too. Try to go on a weekday.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, you should check out the CPW Steel Range in Buena Vista, Chaffee County. DK

I am down in the springs, but this might be worth the drive.. I am in process of getting back into the game after about a 10 year pause (been to SHC, ASC, etc.. years ago..)
Right now I am a member at Magnum and shoot at Cheyenne Mountain.. But I AM looking forward to attending the matches in Rifle..

I absolutely LOVE the matches in Rifle. I don't get to shoot near as much as I would like, but get out there when I can. So far, I have only placed 2nd twice, and a 4th and a 6th. I am now swapping out the 6mm for the 6.5 variety, so we will see how this thing shakes out. I am hoping that it isn't snowing the 1st weekend of December, so that I will be able to attend again!!

DK

The DOW range between Buena Vista and Salida/Poncha Springs is worth the trip. Take the turn in heading East from the highway marked for the Chaffee County land fill/recycling center.

Has anyone been out there lately to verify if they still have their longer range steel? Very curious to see. I am going to try and make it out there next spring, but it may be farther out than that.

DK

Has anyone been out there lately to verify if they still have their longer range steel? Very curious to see. I am going to try and make it out there next spring, but it may be farther out than that.

DK

It's been about a year since I was last there, but when I went, I couldn't find a 1000y target. I was working, so I didn't have time to drive downrange or really pinpoint all the targets, but I want to say the farthest target I saw was 600ish.

Our club range goes to 700. I was hoping that there was steel at Bueno out to at least a grand... dang!

Thanks for the report!

DK

Our club range goes to 700. I was hoping that there was steel at Bueno out to at least a grand... dang!

Thanks for the report!

DK

Where do you shoot? If it's not too far of a drive, the Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex has steel on Range 1.

The good: target stands at 25y, 50y, 100y, 200y, and 300y, along with steel at 500y, 625y, 800ish, and 1095y. We shoot a match there the second Saturday of every month, so there are some additional steel targets out there from time to time. Shooting positions are covered, the benches are individual concrete benches, and shooting prone is allowed.

The bad: CMSC is a joint Ft. Carson and El Paso County Sheriff's Office venture. You don't have to go onto Ft. Carson to get to the range, but Range 1 is EPSO's primary range, so you can't use it on weekdays. If you go on weekends, I'd suggest getting there early, as Range 1 only has a handful of concrete benches (I want to say 4 or 5) and a few more wooden benches that aren't the most stable.

If you're ever down this way, let me know! As long as I'm not shooting a match, I'd love to meet up with some fellow Colorado shooters.

I have my local range here in Meeker that goes to 700. I shoot in a monthly match in Rifle, and they have steel that can range out to 980 yards. Most of the matches only go to 800.

Since the match you are referring too is on the 2nd Saturday, I will see what I can do to make it down there! I will probably bring some friends with me and make a day of it!! ;)

DK

My cell is 970-456-7702

I won't be able to make it down there if we have any snow. Hate this time of year, but it is what it is...

Reactions: drzjoint
Not sure how many people read this thread, but looking for some basic help at a range for a morning or afternoon. Getting into long range, and have shot for a while so I know basics (been shooting since I was about 7 and prior military), just not for bolt guns with nice scopes. In Colorado Springs and would gladly compensate you for your time! I just can't afford these classes that are hundreds of dollars.

I have my local range here in Meeker that goes to 700. I shoot in a monthly match in Rifle, and they have steel that can range out to 980 yards. Most of the matches only go to 800.

Since the match you are referring too is on the 2nd Saturday, I will see what I can do to make it down there! I will probably bring some friends with me and make a day of it!! ;)

DK

My cell is 970-456-7702

I won't be able to make it down there if we have any snow. Hate this time of year, but it is what it is...

My number is 719-510-4562. Shoot me a text when you head East!

For folks looking for shooting in Co.

Matches

1. Pikes Peak Precision Rifle - Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Center, 2nd Saturday, 0800 - 1500, $30 PRS club points

https://www.pikespeakprecision.com or Facebook Pikes Peak Precision Rifle

2. Buffalo Creek (Bailey, Co) - 600yd mid-range match second Sunday of the month, May - September, 0800 - 1300, $25?

3. CRC (Colorado Rifle Club), Byers, Co. Alternating 600yd mid-range and LR Palma matches thru May - September. Sometimes they run practice days for F class and high-power guys. $20

4. Sporting Rifle Match. Raton, NM. Great belly match. 1st Sunday of the month. 0800 - 1500 $30 non-prs affiliated, follows the Comp Dynamics matches field format more than anything.
sportingriflematch.com

5. Ben Lomond Gun Club, Ramah Co Square range to 600yds. One of the Pikes Peak guys has been talking about running a barricade match there 4th Sunday.

If you're on Facebook, try joining one of the many FB groups. Rocky Mountain PRS, Pikes Peak Precision Rifle, CO long range Shooters, etc.

You can add a couple of matches at the Pueblo West Sportsmans Assoc to the list. 3rd Saturday of every month is their 300 yard precision rifle match. $10 entry fee, matches start at 0800 and noon. The following Sunday they have two 22 matches. I believe the morning match is a belly match and the afternoon match is shot PRS style off barricades.

Also, this Sunday will be the first PRS style match at Ben Lomond. I'm not sure if it's worth points, like the Pikes Peak match.

The long traget at BV is gone. My guess is the tubers that go behind might of had some close calls from guys missing the target. We had a group of Hide member meet down there a few years ago and there was steel it was like 1030yds or something just over the 1K point. It still a great range. They made a lot of changes to improve the place, but we did loose the 1K steel. That was were I made my first 1K hit.

I was at the Logan County Shooting Sports Center (Sterling) again last Friday and had a great time. It’s a public range about 1.5 hours NE of Denver. I took a few folks that were out on vacation from back east. They had a great time on a range where they could see more than 300 yards and shoot at 1000 yard steel. The weather was cold in the morning but it warmed up nicely by late morning and turned out to be a great day of shooting. $10 fee per truckload of shooters, yearly memberships available as well. At the risk of attracting too much attention to a good spot, I’ll give this public range another plug. The folks out there in Sterling have done a pretty good job of making a nice range.

The shorter rifle range sports covered benches and paper target backers at the 50, 100, 150, and 200 yard lines. On that same range, there are steel racks at the 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yard lines. There are multiple sizes of steel on each of those racks.

The pistol range has been improved recently. There are now covered shooting positions separated by expanded metal type partitions and plentiful bases for paper target stands. There’s about (8) 1/3 IPSC steel silhouette targets all over the pistol pistol range between 10 and 40 yards. Much more enjoyable to ring those vs punching holes in paper exclusively. The targets are hung nicely on metal stands with springs and the works.

The long range rifle benches are about the same as they’ve been since the range opened. There are 3 uncovered benches there with steel targets at 600, 800, and 1000 yards. I think there’s 2 plates each at the 600 and 800 yard positions, both are pretty large and most shooters with the proper equipment should have little trouble getting hits. There’s 5 targets at the 1000 yard position. I think the largest is a 14” circle gong and the smallest is about an 8” circle plate with several sizes in between. The wind out here can make you frustrated but it’s a great place to hone your skills in the wind.

There is also a skeet/trap range but I don’t really shoot that so check the website for info. A nice archery range has also been completed with lots of targets among the natural terrain.

I finally got to meet @Foul Mike while out there last time. Great guy, foul mouth :)

Anybody that’s interested in getting together out there or elsewhere in Northern CO PM me.

Sterling is great. I shoot there all the time as its on my way to and from work. Got steel for the pistol guys now as well.

Hey, was on the forum years ago here in Denver, lived out of the country til recently, and am back shooting at CRC now. Just looking for a shooting buddy if anyone wants to go. I shoot bolt guns to 1000 at CRC and have some steel to set up. Hit me up if you want to shoot.

I plan to be at the Nunn range (great guns) this thurs or fri afternoon if anyone wants to help me zero my new gun as a spotter. Pretty sure they max out at 300yds, so it wont be super fun, but im expecting 1/3rd moa from this. I dont speak in euro, moa for me, sorry folks.

Last edited: